Aaron Murray: Rams Among Teams Showing Most Interest

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Former Georgia QB Aaron Murray talks with Erik Kuselias about his upcoming pro day and his hopes for the 2014 NFL Draft. Murray listed the Rams first among teams that have showed the most interest. (3:23)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
In my eyes, this guy is a 6th or 7th round pick after his ACL tear. He never struck me as top QB material even before injury.
Take him only if he falls.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
In my eyes, this guy is a 6th or 7th round pick after his ACL tear. He never struck me as top QB material even before injury.
Take him only if he falls.

That's because you, close family, and I are all sickened by the bulldogs. I get it.

What's getting me over this is thinking about what Tree has done for our defense. We'll still be disgusted by UG... but maybe their best players can help our beloved. I think we should consider Murray sooner than the 6th,,, Dude was a winner.

F. Mulder

Starter
I like him a lot, but as posted, be patient and if he goes before you have him rated (4th round) move on to someone like Savage or someone who matches the draft value with their potential.

V3

Hall of Fame
Not a fan at all. Only 6' tall and doesn't have the elusiveness to compensate for it. Didn't find him very accurate, either. I really want nothing to do with this guy. He'd be a wasted pick, IMO. If the Rams want a developmental guy, I'd rather see them go for a Mettenberger.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like Murray. He's a winner for sure. The ACL of course hurts his draft stock but I'd spend a 5th rounder on him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not a fan at all. Only 6' tall and doesn't have the elusiveness to compensate for it. Didn't find him very accurate, either. I really want nothing to do with this guy. He'd be a wasted pick, IMO. If the Rams want a developmental guy, I'd rather see them go for a Mettenberger.

Actually IMO Murray was elusive and had "quick feet" much quicker than a statue like Mettenberger. Granted Mettenberger is taller and has a strong arm, not that Murray doesn't and I found Murray far more accurate than Zach Mettenberger.

With the success of Brees & Wilson maybe height is not as big of a factor any longer.

Alan

Legend
I'd like either one of them (Murray/Mettenberger) in the 4th or 5th round.

Last edited:

duckhunter

Starter
Here's my inflated nickel.

Connor Shaw in the 6th is good value also and similar in size and play to Murray. 24 TDs and only 1 INT. Good movement skills, good enough arm, good accuracy on short and medium routes. Can be better on deep routes.

I view both Shaw and Murray as very good, step in backups, contributors when they are called on. Maybe not full time starters but guys that carry a team and keep a team competitive and not lose momentum.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would be good with Murray he was a four year starter in a tough division and probably would have been in the talk as one of the first QBs coming off the board without the injury. They clearly need someone to develop and even though he is a little short for today's standard he has been very productive with a good TD/Int ratio. I don't see any of the negative stuff being posted here being a deal breaker but who knows what their board will look like and where someone else might come up. I'd rather not spend anything higher that a 5th round pick on a developmental QB.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I like the way he played in college. Gotta play him to find out if he's an NFL QB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If Bradford is the guy then why waste a high pick on a guy to hold a clip board. Just keep investing in quality vet backups. Murray is a nice player and all but he projects as a career backup. 5th or 6th flyer sure. 3rd or 4th there are better position players on the board that can help the team more.
Just saying this, but if Bradford is gone at end of his contract for what ever reason, there going out to get a top guy not depending on a backup.

V3

Hall of Fame
Actually IMO Murray was elusive and had "quick feet" much quicker than a statue like Mettenberger. Granted Mettenberger is taller and has a strong arm, not that Murray doesn't and I found Murray far more accurate than Zach Mettenberger.

With the success of Brees & Wilson maybe height is not as big of a factor any longer.

I agree that Mettenberger is slow but he's your prototypical pocket QB that's tall with a solid release. When you're as short as Murray, you have to be able to move to find the throwing lanes like Brees or Wilson. He just doesn't look as elusive as those guys and on top of that, I didn't find him all that accurate. I'd be curious what his stats are for accuracy for different distances. He's fine for the short stuff but I was not impressed with the intermediate or long throws. I thought Mettenberger looked more accurate on the longer throws and had better touch.

As for height in the NFL, I do think it's still a factor if they can't move. If they aren't elusive like Brees or Wilson, forget it. They won't succeed. Also, Wilson is very average if you can keep him contained between the tackles. When he can't use his elusiveness to get room to throw, he's nothing special. It's just that he's just good at doing it and he has great accuracy on his longer throws. I didn't see that from Murray. I think he's a wasted draft pick if the Rams take him. The best he'll be is a backup, IMO.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Murray intrigues me. The height is a factor, but as others have mentioned, he is a winner. The Rams would be a perfect landing spot for him as he can sit behind Bradford for a few years, learn the ropes from Sam and Shaun and then we trade him for a high draft pick down the track. He would be more than serviceable if he needed to step in.

If we could get him in the 5th, we'd bet getting steal in my opinion.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I agree that Mettenberger is slow but he's your prototypical pocket QB that's tall with a solid release. When you're as short as Murray, you have to be able to move to find the throwing lanes like Brees or Wilson. He just doesn't look as elusive as those guys and on top of that, I didn't find him all that accurate. I'd be curious what his stats are for accuracy for different distances. He's fine for the short stuff but I was not impressed with the intermediate or long throws. I thought Mettenberger looked more accurate on the longer throws and had better touch.

As for height in the NFL, I do think it's still a factor if they can't move. If they aren't elusive like Brees or Wilson, forget it. They won't succeed. Also, Wilson is very average if you can keep him contained between the tackles. When he can't use his elusiveness to get room to throw, he's nothing special. It's just that he's just good at doing it and he has great accuracy on his longer throws. I didn't see that from Murray. I think he's a wasted draft pick if the Rams take him. The best he'll be is a backup, IMO.

I like Mettenberger too. Mostly because he VASTLY improved from year to year. Shows he's a guy that "get's it" and is willing to work.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Throw out some mid round QB prospects that you like? Been thinking of starting a thread, but... I think we will pick a QB fo sho this year. This applies to anyone. QB, and round/s you think he may be available.