Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Here's my thoughts. I know this thinking is not going to be popular, but why not let AD (who I love btw like all of you do) play out on his rookie contract and tag him for two years. This idea gives us valuable FA money freed up for Norwell and 1 top end guy. Plus some mid-level guys and then this team is built to take it all now. If we sink 20m+ into AD it limits us in outside FA with all the players within the Rams that need to be addressed.

As for the 2019/2020 season we get past Gurley, Goff and Peterson's contract. We are built for a 4-5 yr minimum run and then take care of AD. BTW it probably will be cheaper to Franchise Tag him then what a long term deal averages out to.

Please this is NO slight on AD. He is a HOFer and hopefully a Ram for life. Look at the Patriots, Brady is paid less than 15m, but that low cap # gives Belichick the money to play a little in FA. The difference between the Rams and the Patriots is we will have 4-6 players taking up a majority of our cap space. The Pats don't. The major key to their success is managing the cap well combined with a superstar QB. Unfortunately we are going to have too many superstars obviously not a bad thing to have for sure.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's my thoughts. I know this thinking is not going to be popular, but why not let AD (who I love btw like all of you do) play out on his rookie contract and tag him for two years. This idea gets ups valuable FA money freed up for Norwell and 1 top end guy. Plus some midlebmid guys and this team is built to take it all now. If we sink 20m+ into AD it limits us in outside FA with all the players within the Rams that need to be addressed.

As for the 2019/2020 season we get past Gurley Goff and Peterson's contract. We are built for a 4-5 yr mininmi run and then take care of AD. BTW it probably will be cheaper to Franchise Tag him then what a long term deal averages out to.

Please this is NO slight on AD. He is a HODer and hopefully a Ran for life. Look at the Patriots, Brady is paid less than 15m, but that low cap # gives Belichick the money to play a little in FA. The difference between the Rams and the Patriots is we will have 4-6 players taking up a majority of our cap space. The Pats don't. The major key to their success is managing the cap well combined with a superstar QB. Unfortunately we are going to have too many superstars obviously not a bad thing to have for sure.

the rams aren't the cheats and i never want them to be either. he will be extended soon. the rams are getting ready for it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Agreed. Suh is also a selfish POS and his stunts like trying to stomp another player's head are the types of things I would not abide as a GM.

I do think Donald can price himself out of the Rams plans. But that route lies a lot of pain for him, with a likely franchise tag and a long wait before he gets his big contract and security. Doubt he does that given the direction of this team right now. Last year I suspect he was lookin at Chris Long and thinkin "I gotta get out of this madhouse." What he's thinking now is likely a 180 degree change.

I agree on Suh, but still defend the stomp. Dietrich-Smith blocked down on him in a way that could have broken Suh’s back. Was one of the dirtiest plays I’ve EVER seen.

I wouldn’t have been nearly as nice. I’ll never understand why Dietrich-Smith gets a pass from others, but not from me. I would have choked his ass out...for real.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Here's my thoughts. I know this thinking is not going to be popular, but why not let AD (who I love btw like all of you do) play out on his rookie contract and tag him for two years. This idea gives us valuable FA money freed up for Norwell and 1 top end guy. Plus some mid-level guys and then this team is built to take it all now. If we sink 20m+ into AD it limits us in outside FA with all the players within the Rams that need to be addressed.

As for the 2019/2020 season we get past Gurley, Goff and Peterson's contract. We are built for a 4-5 yr minimum run and then take care of AD. BTW it probably will be cheaper to Franchise Tag him then what a long term deal averages out to.

Please this is NO slight on AD. He is a HOFer and hopefully a Ram for life. Look at the Patriots, Brady is paid less than 15m, but that low cap # gives Belichick the money to play a little in FA. The difference between the Rams and the Patriots is we will have 4-6 players taking up a majority of our cap space. The Pats don't. The major key to their success is managing the cap well combined with a superstar QB. Unfortunately we are going to have too many superstars obviously not a bad thing to have for sure.

They’re only able to do that because Kraft cheats and funnels a ton of money to Brady outside of football like his rehab facility.

Otherwise, he’d be wanting $30M like the rest.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
the rams aren't the cheats and i never want them to be either. he will be extended soon. the rams are getting ready for it.

This is a business and we need to maximize our chances of winning and my opinion is by holding off on 20-25m this year is a huge start to aiding the cause.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
They’re only able to do that because Kraft cheats and funnels a ton of money to Brady outside of football like his rehab facility.

I hear you that Brady is not necessary an altruist, but he is smart he knows what it takes to win. Brady also has a secret weapon his wife shw makes way more than he does which affords him to be able to do what he wants win games.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I cannot believe the owner is cheating :LOL:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Krapt is also funneling money into several officials kids college funds.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yah, but that kind of stuff is hard to prove. and just like spygate, the NFL front office would bury it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If that was really happening, they should take the team away from him
I understand he is 'funneling' Goodell too, ... sorry, I can't show you without getting booted from ROD.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not sure why copy and paste sticks a lot of the words together but I'm too lazy to fix. Nothing new, but short on real news until the draft.

As Tinsel Town'sShowtime Ramsdominate the NFL's offseason news cycle, inquiring minds want to know how the organization will squeezeAaron Donald's impending mega contract into a salary cap suddenly saturated with star power.

General manager Les Snead assured reporters last week that a new deal for Donald has already beenbudgeted into the team's financial plans.

TheRamsfront office is under no illusion that themost valuable non-quarterbackin the league will sign for anything less than top dollar.

Appearing onThe MMQB Podcast with Peter King, Snead casually acknowledged that Donald is poised to supersede new teammateNdamukong Suhas the game's highest-paid defender.

"The nice thing about Ndamukong," Snead offered, "at age 31 and somebody who's been the highest-paid defensive player in football, winning was very important in this phase of his career.

"He's well aware that when you can partner, be beside someone who is on the verge of being the highest-paid defensive player in football, then that's a really good thing. I guess you'd say two is better than one."

That makes sense. Over the past two years, Donald has surpassed a suddenly snakebitJ.J. Wattas thedominant defensive force, featuringunparalleled speed off the snap.

TheRamshave made it clear that Donald's contract extension is a top priority, with team sources assuring NFL Network's Steve Wyche that no player acquired this offseason will upset thebudget already set asidefor the reigningNFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Here's where it gets tricky, though: Donald isn't the lone upper-echelon defensive star in search of a market-setting contract.

Raiderspass rusherKhalil Mack, the2016 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, is alsoseeking a lucrative new deal.

Whereas Donald spent last summer as atraining-camp holdoutin search of a pay day, it's fair to wonder if his representatives will switch gears this time around, waiting for Mack to set a market soon to be surpassed by his counterpart in Los Angeles.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Good... No holding out then. Get a whole off season, pre-season, and regular season with both Suh and Donald. Many focus on how Suh and Donald will compete which is a no brainer to me, the biggest thing I think everybody will miss is how good they both together will make everybody else on the team. The coverage D, the second line defense, those right next to them on the line. And also the offensive line because in OTA's and more particularly TC and pre-season it's going to get extremely competitive and those OL guys are going to have to dig in and dig deep down in themselves if they don't want to lose face to their teammates and coaching staff.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Here's my thoughts. I know this thinking is not going to be popular, but why not let AD (who I love btw like all of you do) play out on his rookie contract and tag him for two years. .

Doing it next year is certainly viable, the issue is the second year where you may need the tag for either Gurley or Peters who will be UFA at that point.

The other issue the Rams may have coming up is that they may start to look like they have issues resigning their own guys (look at the tags the last few years) - not certain it affects much in reality but may be a knock in future if it continues.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I get your point, but the example is lacking.

Tom Brady doesn't "take less".

He's cheating with Kraft who's funneling money to him via the TB12 facility right next to the Pats facility. With Kraft and TB12's finances being private, who knows how much is being funneled to him or how much would be funneled to him after he's done playing.

I posited a very real possibility.

So, say we want to sign Suh to a long-term deal, but don't have the cap space. Suh enters into a private contract with Kroenke. Then Suh opens a construction company that specifically builds Habitat for Humanity houses (lots of good PR and helping the community). After his stint is up and with all the good feelings about "playing to win, not playing to get paid", he eventually retires.

After a year or so, Kroenke quietly buys Suh's construction company for an undisclosed sum (maybe north of $100M) for the express purpose of continuing the outreach in the community and even expanding the efforts.

And there you go. That's a way to funnel nearly $100M to a player in a legally legit fashion that totally circumvents the cap and is ultimately only against the NFL rules.

And we KNOW the NFL doesn't want to pry into these scenarios because Brady is the poster child for it.

So, unless they want to rip the Pats from Kraft, it's open season.

If I owned the Rams, it'd be damned tempting. You couldn't do it with everyone, it'd have to be people who were very business savvy and understood how it had to play out. Suh is definitely that.

The TL;dr point is that Brady is NOT taking less. That's manure. His cap number is just lower because he's getting money under the table via his "rehab" facility.

Ya know... Eddie de Bartolo lost the 9ers by cheating the cap. I don't understand why the NFL allows owners to engage in active business relationships with players.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard Brady owns a store in Kraft's strip mall, located near the team stadium. The store sells sporting goods and Patriot merchandise (and Brady merchandise) and Brady makes a fortune off it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Will see what Aaron Donald contract looks like ?

He will be the Highest paid defensive player . In today’s NFL he is deserving.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Khalil Mack - LB - Raiders
Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area believes Raiders OLB Khalil Mack's new deal could be in the range of $120 million over six years.

That would surpass the current high water mark for defensive players set by Von Miller in 2016. NFL Network's Steve Wyche reported last week that Mack was seeking $65 million guaranteed in extension talks with Oakland. The 2016 Defensive Player of the Year is set to earn $13.86 million in the final year of his rookie deal.

Source: NBC Sports Bay Area
Apr 15 - 9:45 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.