Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Don’t know if this was covered anywhere. But it looks like we have a 3 headed problem.
D0C12CEF-76AA-4DDF-A167-F5C9C8E9681B.jpeg

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Gurley was drafted in 2015. Pick up the 5th year option and he's locked up through 2019. Goff can locked up through 2020. Donald's a great player. Best defensive player in the league hands down. But can a DT carry a team like a QB and RB can? Donald was great in 2016 but they lost 12 games. As much as I love Donald, Goff and Gurley are more valuable to this team. Its the nature of the positions they play.

HellRam

Starter
And here's the problem with paying a DT 20 mill plus per year. Snead sure does got his hands full these next couple off-seasons.

I think the Rams will be able to make it work with Donald. But I think it's going to be more complicated then we the fans would like to believe.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So did anyone NOT know this was and always will be an issue with teams who draft well?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Interior DL pass rusher is very hard to find. In comparison to RB, as good as Gurley is, finding an Aaron Donald is more difficult. So IMO the priority would be QB>3T>RB if it comes down to someone not fitting in.

And of course they're going to lock all 3 guys up. Just saying that there is that chance one of them prices themselves out and/or if all three are difficult signings then hard decisions need to be driven by some sort of logic.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Gurley was drafted in 2015. Pick up the 5th year option and he's locked up through 2019. Goff can locked up through 2020. Donald's a great player. Best defensive player in the league hands down. But can a DT carry a team like a QB and RB can? Donald was great in 2016 but they lost 12 games. As much as I love Donald, Goff and Gurley are more valuable to this team. Its the nature of the positions they play.

Ndamukong Suh signed a 6 year record breaking contract of $114mil in 2015, Miami has had 1 winning season in 2016 and have not won a play-off game. Suh's 2018 CAP hit is over $26mil.
Donald will cost more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also re: Donald... I think he signs relatively quickly. I have a feeling, with nothing to back it up other than it being a hunch, that part of his anger last offseason was the changeover of coaching and uncertainty with the organization, and that side of things should not factor in this time around. Think it gets done fast.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ndamukong Suh signed a 6 year record breaking contract of $114mil in 2015, Miami has had 1 winning season in 2016 and have not won a play-off game. Suh's 2018 CAP hit is over $26mil.
Donald will cost more.

That's more of Miami being stupid than Ndamukong Suh.

And Aaron Donald >>>>>> Ndamukong Suh.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Donald will cost more.
Not for nothing, but Donald might be the best defensive interior player ever. Suh couldn’t hold his jock strap. So that comparison doesn’t really hold any weight.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With these star players needing contracts soon, it might be possible to front load Donald's deal the way Kevin has done in the past.

That, of course, takes away from some buying power elsewhere this offseason.

With Tavon and Tru (likely) moving on, the Rams seem to be positioning themselves.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That's more of Miami being stupid than Ndamukong Suh.

And Aaron Donald >>>>>> Ndamukong Suh.

Either way you argue it, it's still some 14% of Miami's entire CAP. And we are yet to sign Gurley & Goff. All i'm saying is pay Donald his 5'th year option this year and apply his new contract as starting in 2019, it makes it far easier on our team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not for nothing, but Donald might be the best defensive interior player ever. Suh couldn’t hold his jock strap. So that comparison doesn’t really hold any weight.

Agreed. Suh is also a selfish POS and his stunts like trying to stomp another player's head are the types of things I would not abide as a GM.

I do think Donald can price himself out of the Rams plans. But that route lies a lot of pain for him, with a likely franchise tag and a long wait before he gets his big contract and security. Doubt he does that given the direction of this team right now. Last year I suspect he was lookin at Chris Long and thinkin "I gotta get out of this madhouse." What he's thinking now is likely a 180 degree change.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Either way you argue it, it's still some 14% of Miami's entire CAP. And we are yet to sign Gurley & Goff. All i'm saying is pay Donald his 5'th year option this year and apply his new contract as starting in 2019, it makes it far easier on our team.

I really don't care how much he gets paid. Most players are pretty much on par with each other, with some exceptions. And those exceptions are the ones you keep.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

If they sign Donald it will have to be heavily front loaded to accomodate Gurley and Goff if they want to keep all 3. My gut tells me they will sign Donald and Goff, Gurley might be the odd man out in terms of getting a long term deal. He has already taken a beating and will continue to be a horse for this team, so if history repeats itself he has another 5 to 6 years before nobody will want him. Hard to imagine all 3 being around in 4 years. Is there a playoff or good team that is paying 2 players over 20M per year?

nighttrain

Legend
Agreed. Suh is also a selfish POS and his stunts like trying to stomp another player's head are the types of things I would not abide as a GM.

I do think Donald can price himself out of the Rams plans. But that route lies a lot of pain for him, with a likely franchise tag and a long wait before he gets his big contract and security. Doubt he does that given the direction of this team right now. Last year I suspect he was lookin at Chris Long and thinkin "I gotta get out of this madhouse." What he's thinking now is likely a 180 degree change.
Snead w/o fisher and McVay definitely create A BETTER situation for AD going forward, at least i would think
train

HellRam

Starter
So did anyone NOT know this was and always will be an issue with teams who draft well?

You'd probably be surprised.

Regardless....I think the main issue is (from the Rams front office perspective) is which players to keep and let go. Obviously they can't keep everyone. And winning is often based on keeping the right guys around. What about Peters contract, future LT, ect and ect. Thats the quandary Snead is in.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Front load his contract this year to decrease future impact.

Aaron Donald is the type of player that every team strives to find in the draft. You don’t give that up.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You'd probably be surprised.

Regardless....I think the main issue is (from the Rams front office perspective) is which players to keep and let go. Obviously they can't keep everyone. And winning is often based on keeping the right guys around. What about Peters contract, future LT, ect and ect. Thats the quandary Snead is in.
Snead has already stated that Money-wise the Team is ready to sign Donald, and he is not worried about Future Commitments!

I think Donald's New Contract well get done really soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.