Aaron Donald will be on a "pitch count" against the Redskins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/14/wade-phillips-plans-a-pitch-count-for-aaron-donald/

Wade Phillips plans a pitch count for Aaron Donald
Posted by Mike Florio on September 14, 2017

612050208-e1505445704579.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams have yet to definitively say that defensive tackle Aaron Donald will play on Sunday against Washington. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips made it fairly clear that Donald will indeed go.

Asked by reporters how much he plans to play Donald, whose holdout ended five days ago, Phillips didn’t say, “It hasn’t been decided that he’ll play” or anything like that. Instead, the answer implies clearly that Phillips expects to see him on the field.

“It’s more of a pitch count I think,” Phillips said. “But it’s a number of plays and we’ll see how he is. He looked to be in good shape. You know, football shape and shape are two different things because you’re carrying a lot more weight with pads on and so forth. But he doesn’t seem to be bothered too much by the reps we’re giving him in practice. It’s not wearing him out, so we’ll make sure in the ball game that we watch him.”

Phillips isn’t sweating the fact that Donald will be transitioning from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense.

“When you have a great player, I think it’s really not the coaching, I’m sorry to say,” Phillips said. “I think coaching makes a difference, I do think coaching — I wouldn’t be in coaching if I didn’t think it makes a difference and I wouldn’t be in it if I didn’t think we could help good players or even great players get better, so that’s what we try to do. But once you get that caliber of a player, you just have to scheme things where you get him one-on-one as much as you can, things like that.

“When he goes in there, we tell him, ‘Go.’ It’s not real complicated for him. . . . [H]e knows the defense pretty well already. There’s a few things that he had to clean up, but a lot of his play is one-on-one, beat the guy in front of you.”

That’s something Donald can do as well as anyone who has played the position since Warren Sapp. And it sure seems like Donald will be doing it on Sunday, regardless of whether he gets a new contract before then.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD dont need no pitch count. Let him play the whole game. Thats his punishment :p

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
No need to wear him out with the emerging depth of Walker and Smart. I want AD fresh for obvious passing situations in the 2nd half of this game. Phillips knows what to do.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of the front 7 seemed to get lots of rest week 1 with a solid rotation going.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Don't forget, gents, we have a Thursday night game so rotations for AD as well as most defensive positions will be critical so that we are fresh and ready to go on Thursday.

3-0 would be epic!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He'll pitch 5 sacks in the first 3 quarters and be allowed a breather.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless the NFL is unlike every other athletic endeavor, players are more likely to get injured when tired. Let him build up strength by focusing on using him more on passing downs, when he can get to the QB.

Ram65

Legend
Certainly dont want to put AD in a positiin to get a nagging soft tissue injury. Depending on the score he should be playing in the first quarter and the last in a close game. AD is always in great shape. I can see him getting 30 to 35 or about half the game.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/14/wade-phillips-plans-a-pitch-count-for-aaron-donald/

Wade Phillips plans a pitch count for Aaron Donald
Posted by Mike Florio on September 14, 2017

612050208-e1505445704579.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams have yet to definitively say that defensive tackle Aaron Donald will play on Sunday against Washington. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips made it fairly clear that Donald will indeed go.

Asked by reporters how much he plans to play Donald, whose holdout ended five days ago, Phillips didn’t say, “It hasn’t been decided that he’ll play” or anything like that. Instead, the answer implies clearly that Phillips expects to see him on the field.

“It’s more of a pitch count I think,” Phillips said. “But it’s a number of plays and we’ll see how he is. He looked to be in good shape. You know, football shape and shape are two different things because you’re carrying a lot more weight with pads on and so forth. But he doesn’t seem to be bothered too much by the reps we’re giving him in practice. It’s not wearing him out, so we’ll make sure in the ball game that we watch him.”

Phillips isn’t sweating the fact that Donald will be transitioning from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense.

“When you have a great player, I think it’s really not the coaching, I’m sorry to say,” Phillips said. “I think coaching makes a difference, I do think coaching — I wouldn’t be in coaching if I didn’t think it makes a difference and I wouldn’t be in it if I didn’t think we could help good players or even great players get better, so that’s what we try to do. But once you get that caliber of a player, you just have to scheme things where you get him one-on-one as much as you can, things like that.

“When he goes in there, we tell him, ‘Go.’ It’s not real complicated for him. . . . [H]e knows the defense pretty well already. There’s a few things that he had to clean up, but a lot of his play is one-on-one, beat the guy in front of you.”

That’s something Donald can do as well as anyone who has played the position since Warren Sapp. And it sure seems like Donald will be doing it on Sunday, regardless of whether he gets a new contract before then.
The "Pitch Counts"/ ie Snap Counts on all the Rams players are goig to be important to watch this week because we have a short week until we Play the 49ers on "Thursday-Night Football"!!