Aaron Donald ready for expanded role --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Aaron Donald ready for expanded role
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12562/aaron-donald-ready-for-expanded-role

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams wasn't shy about his praise for rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald when asked about him Saturday afternoon.

Williams pointed to Donald's ability to quickly acclimate to the NFL game in the first four weeks and his professional approach as reasons he's been impressed. Apparently, he's been good enough to merit an expanded role against the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night.

“He would be a guy that I hope you guys have a chance to take a good look at this week," Williams said. "He’s had a really, really good week of practice. Looking forward for him to get a chance to have opportunities to play the way we want him to play. It’s the same way he played in college. He’s a very quick, instinctive player. He feels very comfortable in what we’re doing. This week for whatever reason, it felt like the light came on a little bit more for him, even a little bit more."

Through his first four games, Donald has been coming off the bench as part of the team's defensive line rotation. He's averaged right at 25 snaps per game in those appearances, mostly in pass situations.

Donald has fared well enough in those limited opportunities that his getting more chances was a matter of when, not if. According to Rams' coaches review of the game film, Donald has been one of the team's most productive defensive linemen and clearly the most productive among the interior group. Their reviews have Donald down for 20 tackles, the team's lone sack, four quarterback pressures and four quarterback hits.

Clearly, Donald has been better than just a situational role player and from the sound of it, he'll soon be used as such.

"I feel like I've been improving each week, getting better, getting better, getting more comfortable out there," Donald said. "Come game time, things are slowing down out there for me so I'm excited about this week. I'm ready for it. This is what I've been working for. It's my time so I'm just going to try to get out there and fly around."

Beyond his early production in games, Donald has also left a positive impression with how he carries himself in the locker room. According to Williams, Donald is one of the first players in and last players to leave in nearly every situation. Donald regularly arrives at Rams Park up to two hours before he's supposed to so he can watch extra film, a practice he began at the University of Pittsburgh and has brought with him to the NFL.

"It’s fun to be around him and you guys don’t get a chance to see it as much as I do, is that he’s the first one here in the morning," Williams said. "He’s the first one in the meeting room. He’s out here on the practice field before the guys set the practice up. He takes this thing seriously and it’s fun to be around that kind of a guy. Hopefully success wise, he gets a little bit of success and he’ll only prosper.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is our next great Ram.

I love Aaron Donald.

SierraRam

Recreational User
He's always in the backfield and disruptive. He'll be a starter very soon...

It's time to get younger on both lines!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
How much younger can the D-Line get?
ebb6f7a41e064f2bb6641008d655e556.jpg

Yes, he's raw, but he has tremendous upside!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Williams pointed to Donald's ability to quickly acclimate to the NFL game in the first four weeks and his professional approach as reasons he's been impressed. Apparently, he's been good enough to merit an expanded role against the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night.

“He would be a guy that I hope you guys have a chance to take a good look at this week," Williams said. "He’s had a really, really good week of practice. Looking forward for him to get a chance to have opportunities to play the way we want him to play. It’s the same way he played in college. He’s a very quick, instinctive player. He feels very comfortable in what we’re doing. This week for whatever reason, it felt like the light came on a little bit more for him, even a little bit more."
this sound very promising for those of us who would like to see a lot more of Donald this week!!:D

Penguin.

Rookie
I love Donald. Bench Brockers until he gets his shit together. He isn't playing like a first rounder should. Langford has been outplaying him, last year anyways.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Great to hear that he is on his way up! I was not crazy about the pick because the line looked so good last year, but after the first four games, I am glad they took him. The Dline has been less than spectacular. Time to infuse some talent!

Now I am waiting for the day that we see a similar article on GRob.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Could he play some DE in a heavy set? I bet you he could out run Hayes and would have one hell of a bull rush. This could allow Langford and Brackers to man the middle and would add some meat on the run side. Just a thought...

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams notes: Rams rookie Donald impressing Williams

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_506ae232-3d96-5e6d-88f4-623881c1d5fc.html

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams likes what he’s seen of rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald and saw positive work from the first-round draft pick in practice this week.

“His acclimation to the pro game, he’s done a tremendous job,’’ Williams said following Saturday’s workout. “He’s had a really, really good week in practice. Looking forward for him to get a chance to have opportunities to play the way we want him to play. It’s the same way he played in college. He’s a very quick, instinctive player. He feels very comfortable in what we’re doing. This week, for whatever reason, it felt like the light came on a little bit more for him.

“When I was watching him practice, watching him prepare ... it’s fun to be around him. ... He’s the first one here in the morning. He’s the first one in the meeting room, He’s out here on the practice field before the guys set practice up. He takes this thing seriously and it’s fun to be around that kind of guy.”

Donald, a 23-year-old from the University of Pittsburgh who has 20 tackles and the Rams’ lone sack this fall, said he likes to arrive early to watch film.

“It’s something I did in college that helped me,’’ he said. “I’m not going to stop doing what got me here.

“I feel like I’ve been improving each week, getting better, getting more comfortable out there. Things have been slowing down for me out there, so I’m excited about this week. I’m ready for it — this is what I’ve been working for — it’s my time, so I’m just going to try to get out there and fly around.’’

NEW GUY IN TOWN

The newest Ram, linebacker Will Herring, has a little history with the club, but it’s probably something he’ll keep to himself.

In 2010, while playing for Seattle, Herring recorded his first — and only — NFL sack in a 20-3 Rams’ victory here. That same season, in the regular-season finale with the NFC West title and a playoff berth on the line, Herring picked off then-rookie Sam Bradford for Herring’s first NFL interception in the fourth quarter of a 16-6 Seattle victory.

“I’m not going to rub it in or anything,’’ Herring said earlier this week. “But that (interception) was a big moment for me, kind of early in my career. I was fortunate to make a play.’’

Herring, 31, signed with the Rams earlier this week to fill the void created when linebacker Ray Ray Armstrong was waived. The 6-foot-3, 241-pound Herring spent the first four years of his career in Seattle and the last three in New Orleans. Last year, he was the Saints’ special teams captain.

“My contract was up and I just never re-signed with them,’’ Herring explained. “I went through the offseason and thought I had a deal worked out with Dallas, (but) it fell through. I just told my agent I’d like to just sit tight ... (but) I knew I still wanted to play ball.’’

Herring was one of four linebackers to work out for the Rams on Tuesday. That group also included Marshall McFadden, 28, who was signed to the Rams’ practice squad. McFadden played one game with Pittsburgh in 2012 and four with Oakland last year.

“I’m thrilled to be here, thrilled to be part of this thing Coach Fisher’s got going,’’ Herring said. “I played for (Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams) in New Orleans, so I know what to expect with him. Meeting with ‘Bones’ (Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel), he’s been great.’’

Herring played at Auburn and was the leading tackler in his final two seasons there, making the move from safety to outside linebacker as a senior. A fifth-round draft pick by Seattle in 2007, he has a reputation as a solid special teams player.

“I’ve kind of embraced that (special teams) role the last few years,’’ he said. “I’m excited to just come in and do whatever they ask of me.’’

Rams coach Jeff Fisher likes Herring’s versatility.

“He could be plugged in anyplace on our special teams ... because he’s done everything,’’ the coach said. “He automatically walks in and has the respect of the room because people that played against him know. They know what he’s capable of doing. He understands hard work and he’s going to prepare himself.’’

Herring, who said he’s doing everything he can be ready for Monday night’s game with San Francisco, played some defense with the Saints under Williams in 2011.

“He fits in very well as a leadership locker room guy and he’ll fit in very well with his special teams play,’’ Williams said.

INJURY REPORT

After another full practice on Saturday, running back Zac Stacy is listed as probable for the 49er game.

“Feeling pretty good, got a chance to move around a little, just getting ready for Monday,’’ said Stacy, who left last week’s game with a strained calf. “The trainers did a great job. I’m ready to go.’’

Wide receiver Kenny Britt (knee) and defensive end Eugene Sims (groin) are also probable, with linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (groin), center Barrett Jones (back), running back Chase Reynolds and defensive tackle Alex Carrington (knee) as questionable. Cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot) have been ruled out for Monday’s game.

San Francisco has ruled out cornerback Tramaine Brock (toe) and have tackle Anthony Davis (knee/ankle), tight end Vernon Davis (back), center Marcus Martin (knee) and linebacker Nick Moody (hamstring) listed questionable. The 49ers’ probables are defensive end Justin Smith (not injury related), defensive end Tony Jerod-Eddie (shoulder), defensive end Ray McDonald (knee), defensive tackle Ian Williams (ankle), punter Andy Lee (ankle) and cornerback Chris Cook (quadriceps).

Brock and Davis have not practiced this week.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Penguin.

Rookie
Elaborate? Well, as it seems, they plan on sitting Greg instead of playing him. They would rather have the current five players on the OL mesh and try and get better as a group opposed to having a beast come in for Joseph.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Elaborate? Well, as it seems, they plan on sitting Greg instead of playing him. They would rather have the current five players on the OL mesh and try and get better as a group opposed to having a beast come in for Joseph.
@Penguin. Didn't you use the same username on Ram Stalk?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm extremely impressed by Donald's production in limited snaps. Guy looks to me to be a great player in the making, and even better he's not an idiot like, for example, Suh. So from where I'm sitting Snead hauled in a cornerstone player for his defense.

Can't wait to see how he holds up to more snaps. Hopefully Davis won't be the only young Ram having a coming out party on Monday Night.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This seems pretty unrelated to this thread...no idea where you were going with this