Aaron Donald Letting his Production Speak for Him --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Aaron Donald letting his production speak for him
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...n-donald-letting-his-production-speak-for-him

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald just won't stop making noise.

"Gosh, I wish he would stop talking so much," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said, a grin creeping across his face.

Laurinaitis is, of course, only joking. Donald is probably the last player anyone in the Rams locker room would accuse of being too verbose. To see Donald's mouth moving is to know that he's probably been asked a question.

But while Donald isn't one to run his mouth, the part about him making noise absolutely stands. It's just that Donald announces his presence on a football field by what he does, not what he says.

"Aaron is extremely quiet; I love the way he goes about it," Laurinaitis said. "He’s 100 miles per hour all the time. I’ve never been around a D-tackle like that. When you first see him, you’re like, ‘Are you kidding me?’ But his quickness is uncanny for the position and he’s able to be disruptive. I’ve been extremely impressed with him. He doesn’t look at the season so far as a success for himself. I know he looks at it as, 'How can I get better?' Which I can definitely appreciate."

When it comes to Donald, there's plenty for the Rams and their fans to appreciate. When the team spent the No. 13 overall pick on Donald in May's draft, some nobody questioned Donald's talent but there were plenty of questions if the Rams would be better served taking a position of more pressing need such as cornerback, receiver or even quarterback.

But the Rams' biggest need then and now remains blue-chip players capable of becoming among the league's best at their respective position. Only eight games into his career, Donald has already set his trajectory toward becoming one of those players who consistently ends every season with a trip to Hawaii.

At the halfway point of his rookie season, Donald has 21 tackles, three sacks and a forced fumble. According to the Rams' coaches review of the tape, Donald also has 11 tackles for loss, which leads the team. The coaching staff also credits Donald with 16 quarterback pressures and five quarterback hits, both of which rank second on the team.

“I think his statistics reflect the season that he’s having," coach Jeff Fisher said. "The tackles for losses, the consistency, the big plays. We’re just going to have to watch him because the season’s getting longer and longer. First-year players have difficulty with the length of the season. We’ll watch his reps, but he’s playing good football right now."

The statistics don't even really tell the complete story when it comes to Donald. Take last week's goal-line stand to beat San Francisco, for example. On the game-deciding fumble by quarterback Colin Kaepernick, it was Donald who got off the snap fast and quickly lifted the 49ers' center up and backwards. That helped throw off Kaepernick's ability to cleanly take the snap and he fumbled the ball and the game away.

"He’s different," Laurinaitis said. "He can go ahead and do what he wants because he’s that quick that he’s going to disrupt the play regardless."

The soft-spoken Donald was more than willing to talk for this story, but true to his humble nature, it's hard to get him to talk about himself. For the record, he says he believes the first half of the season has flown by and while he believes he's done "pretty good," he is quick to say he has plenty of room for improvement.

As a defensive tackle, it can be hard to draw much attention to yourself, which means Donald might have an uphill climb to land in the mix for Defensive Rookie of the Year. But it's also important to note that he's only been starting and playing extended snaps since Oct. 13.

"Anytime you get more snaps, you get a better feel for the game," Donald said. "Things start to slow down and you get a lot more comfortable out there come game time. You tend to make a lot more plays and I feel like that’s been happening. But like I said, I feel like I’ve got a lot more improvement to do and I’m just trying to continue to build."

Now that he's playing more, his numbers and his profile should increase, even if his words per minute do not.

A55VA6

Legend
Rams sure made one hell of a draft pick in Donald. Didn't need a DT, but they felt he was going to be great and so far he's exactly what we expected. I really like the players that are extremely quiet off the field, and an absolute monster on the field.

This guy is going to be a great player. The Rams future on the D-line looks bright.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Flat out steal of a pick. This guy has been amazing. The tackles for losses that he has so far in his rookie year have been great. He gets off the ball so quick that he has been living in the backfield with his increased playing time.

Now let's get this offense going and make a push for a .500 record or better this year.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
People always talk about his quickness, and there is no denying it. But I think people tend to neglect to mention his strength, explosion, hand placement, instincts. I mean, they could put a CB at DT and his quickness would be great for the position. But it's Donald's hand placement, strength and explosion that lets him rip through the arm blocks. Donald had 35 reps in the bench (2nd in DL). His 9'8" broad jump was ranked 11th among DL (where most of the guys above him are 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs).

But the real bottom line is that the guy just works hard, not just on his physicality but also his craft. That's what separates him, that he is NOT just relying on his quickness and physicality. That's why he has such great instincts and hand placement to get into the backfield and disrupt. Put all those things together and you wind up with one heck of a player who will only get better!

The Arizona OL is sub-par at lest. Larsen, Sendlein and Fanaica are a combined -25.8 in PFF stats. Donald should pretty much has his way with them.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Hes quickly becoming my favorite player on the rams. Dont remember any D tackle that is as fun to watch as donald. He gets off the line so quickly he just makes guys look stupid. now if the refs will start calling some holding when he blows past these guys and all they can do is turn around and grab his jersey we will be in buisness. Dudes gonna be in the prowbowl every year with 10+ sacks. He may even get there this year if this Dline keeps playing like they did sunday.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Donald has already surpassed Geno Atkins production from his rookie year. He has a chance to be special.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Donald has already surpassed Geno Atkins production from his rookie year. He has a chance to be special.

I think Donald might already be better than Atkins. If he wasnt getting held so much he would have better numbers. Donald will be the best DT in the game for the next Decade and hes starting his reign as a rookie.

People always talk about his quickness, and there is no denying it. But I think people tend to neglect to mention his strength, explosion, hand placement, instincts. I mean, they could put a CB at DT and his quickness would be great for the position. But it's Donald's hand placement, strength and explosion that lets him rip through the arm blocks. Donald had 35 reps in the bench (2nd in DL). His 9'8" broad jump was ranked 11th among DL (where most of the guys above him are 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs).

But the real bottom line is that the guy just works hard, not just on his physicality but also his craft. That's what separates him, that he is NOT just relying on his quickness and physicality. That's why he has such great instincts and hand placement to get into the backfield and disrupt. Put all those things together and you wind up with one heck of a player who will only get better!

The Arizona OL is sub-par at lest. Larsen, Sendlein and Fanaica are a combined -25.8 in PFF stats. Donald should pretty much has his way with them.

Does PFF keep the stats for past years? I'd be interested in how Donald compares with last year's DROY "Old Man Football" Sheldon Richardson.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
With Donald,Brockers,and Quinn this DL is going to dominate the league for years.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think Donald might already be better than Atkins. If he wasnt getting held so much he would have better numbers. Donald will be the best DT in the game for the next Decade and hes starting his reign as a rookie.

If that's true, they'll look back and ask "Should he have went #1?"

fearsomefour

Legend

This the great part when GW allows the down four to rush or only one extra comes on a blitz....O line has to make a choice. Are you going to give the LT help vs. Quinn, slide a double team over to Donald? This really will get exemplified even more when Long comes back.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
People always talk about his quickness, and there is no denying it. But I think people tend to neglect to mention his strength, explosion, hand placement, instincts. I mean, they could put a CB at DT and his quickness would be great for the position. But it's Donald's hand placement, strength and explosion that lets hirm rip through the arm blocks. Donald had 35 reps in the bench (2nd in DL). His 9'8" broad jump was ranked 11th among DL (where most of the guys above him are 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs).

Its a good point - but its his quickness that really makes him so special. Strength, hands, technique and leverage are all key part of playing DT in the NFL - and he's real good at these skills - in fact he's way ahead most rookies with it -great leverage with his size, incredible hand usage, great strength - but its his quickness which is so unique. I've personally never seen anyone that quick at that position. Combine it with his work ethic and desire to be great and the fact hes got the rest of the skill set and I think this kid could be really special...

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Donald is my favorite player to watch. I've never seen anybody play the position quite him. I've watch him live, and on his tackles for loss he makes everybody on the field look like they're in slow motion. That's how fast he closes the gap. It looks every bit as fast as it did on his college highlights and I'm left in a sense of excitement and shock. He's such a rare player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Without a doubt he is a cornerstone defensive player. Gonna get pro bowls, maybe even this year if he can avoid that rookie wall. I think by the end of the season he's gonna be well known as a legitimate elite DT; he already is playing at that level but everyone's gonna know it.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Does PFF keep the stats for past years? I'd be interested in how Donald compares with last year's DROY "Old Man Football" Sheldon Richardson.

Richardson had a PFF rating of +21,3 on 906 snaps. which placed him at #5 of the 3-4 DEs. His big impact was on run defense where PFF rated him at +22.4, By contrast, his pass D had a negative rating of -1.1. Through 8 games (as Aaron Donald is now), he was +9.0. Richardson is getting better this year, that through 9 games (489 snaps), he's already +20.3.

Aaron Donald in his first 8 games (313 snaps) is +16.3. It stands to reason that by the end of the year if he kept up the pace, he'd be +32.6. If you equated it with Richardson on a per snap basis, Donald would be +47.2 in the same number of snaps. If you theorize that Donald will keep getting better with experience, it could be more. If you theorize he'll wear down as rookies tend to do, it would be less. PFF credits Donald with 3 sacks, 3 QB hits, 10 hurries and a very impressive 17 stops with only 3 missed tackles.

One way or another, they are each one heck of a player (is that grammatically correct) by any measure.

PS - for DROY consideration, AD is well behind Khalil Mack whose killing it in PFF with a +24.3. Even though he has no sacks, he has 7 QB hits, 23 hurries, and an ungodly 29 stops (a solo tackle that constitutes an offensive failure) with only 6 missed tackles. Before you say... "but Mack plays for Oakland, and they suck!"... don't forget that Watts won DPOY last year while playing for the 2-14 Texans. Right or wrong, PFF has a strange way of holding sway in the press (since the DROY is voted on by the AP) so winning the PFF battle is a good way to get yourself into consideration. On the plus side for Donald, Mack has 539 snaps this season, so it stands to reason the more snaps you get the more chanced you have to make a play. But I think this nuance will be lost of the AP voters.

There's also Anthony Barr who is +10.2 and CJ Mosley who is +12.4.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
All I know is that I see him in the backfield an awful lot. When there is a play blown up before it can get started, Donald is the guy that's doing it most of the time. I'm glad we have him.