Aaron Donald is already dominating Rams practices

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Aaron Donald is already dominating Rams practices

upload_2017-9-15_9-36-22.png

Aaron Donald will be "on a pitch count" in his return to the field on Sunday, according to Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Kevin Reece/Icon Sportswire

Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams ran a play that called for Sam Rogers to take a handoff during Wednesday's practice. But Aaron Donald penetrated the line of scrimmage and worked his way into the backfield before the rookie fullback could even touch the ball. And that's when Todd Gurley knew that Donald was really back.

"Aaron's Aaron," Gurley said. "He's going to dominate practice."

The Rams expect him to dominate in the upcoming game, too, even though he basically spent the entire summer working out on his own. Donald ended his holdout on Saturday, but he didn't practice with the team until Wednesday and he wasn't in full pads until Thursday. Teammates still didn't notice much of a dropoff.

"Some things you just know," Rams left guard Rodger Saffold said. "He’s been doing this for a long time now. I expect him to continue to do the same. As far as conditioning and everything else, it seems like he’s fine. You never really know when you get into a game, but I bet money that he’s going to be fine playing."

Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said Donald will be "on a pitch count" in the Week 2 home game against the Washington Redskins. Phillips said the same thing about Robert Quinn heading into the opener, and Quinn wound up playing 25 snaps, or 50 percent of the defensive workload. Donald could get something similar, maybe even a bit less. The Rams' Week 3 game will be the following Thursday, on the road against the San Francisco 49ers, and that quick turnaround may be a consideration.

"He looked to be in good shape," Phillips said of Donald. "You know, football shape and shape are two different things because you’re carrying a lot more weight with pads on and so forth. But he doesn’t seem to be bothered too much by the reps we’re giving him in practice. It’s not wearing him out.”

Donald isn't really expected to be in football shape yet.

I’m not even in football shape, so I doubt he’s in football shape," Gurley said, laughing. "It takes a while. But hey, you never know. He’s built differently. He’s one of a kind, so there’s no telling. He might already be right. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t just chilling. I know he was definitely getting it in back at home, so he’ll be fine.”

The Rams, coming off a 46-9 blowout of a shorthanded Indianapolis Colts team, have a much tougher test in their second game of the season. The Redskins' offense -- formerly under the direction of Rams head coach Sean McVay -- boasts a solid offensive line, a proven quarterback in Kirk Cousins and an array of weapons, including Jordan Reed, Terrelle Pryor and Jamison Crowder. The Rams' front seven will have to bring consistent pressure to make Cousins uncomfortable and take some of the strain off their secondary, which is why Donald's return is so crucial.

But is it fair to expect Donald to be the same guy after missing so much time?

"Yeah," Rams inside linebacker Alec Ogletree said. "I don’t see why he shouldn’t be the same person because he’s just that type of athlete, and he’s a guy that I know works hard when he’s not here. I wouldn’t expect anything less."

Donald, who eventually may be the game's highest-paid non-quarterback, skipped the three weeks of organized team activities during the spring, then held out for 43 days in training camp and in the preseason. But he was with the Rams during their voluntary minicamp in late April and during their mandatory minicamp in the middle of June. He was able to pick up a lot of Phillips' defense then. It's a new scheme, but Donald's role won't really change -- he'll still line up as the 3-technique, and he'll still rush the quarterback.

"When he goes in there, we tell him, ‘Go,'" Phillips said. "It’s not real complicated for him."

Phillips believes Donald's presence has "energized our team." He didn't address the players when he returned, and McVay didn't even bring up Donald's absence during the first team meeting on Monday. The Rams moved forward as if he had been there all along. The players didn't feel as if Donald owed them an explanation.

"There’s a business side to this situation," Ogletree said, "and he had to handle it the way he had to handle it. We weren’t mad or anything. We welcomed him back, just like we’ve been saying we would."

"He’s got to do what’s best for him and his family, so we’re not going to question him about any decision he makes as far as contracts," Saffold added. "We’re just happy to have him back in the building, because we feel like we have something special here."

[www.espn.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was encouraged by the play of Tyrunn Walker and Tanzel Smart, but the Redskin offensive line is one of the better offensive lines in the NFL, so the Rams step up in class, but having Donald back should assist in balancing the scale.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He sure isn't, so he better get back into it! Its only going to get harder as the season moves forward.

I'm pretty sure he was speaking for pretty much any player after only week in.

Gurley didn't look bad AT ALL to my eyes. He showed some explosiveness at times that I hadn't seen since his rookie year.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I'm pretty sure he was speaking for pretty much any player after only week in.

Gurley didn't look bad AT ALL to my eyes. He showed some explosiveness at times that I hadn't seen since his rookie year.

No doubt he has explosiveness and I think this week against the skins his explosivness will blow everyone away. I just hope he can get into that groove sooner than later.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Pitch count sounds good to me. Don't want to get him winded in the fourth. Hopefully the Rams can work on their clock-eating offense by that time. Can't wait for Sunday.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Practice Squad

So it wasn't Saffold he beat . Isn't Donald playing like defensive end ?

Did anyone ever see the conditioning Aaron does ?? He is a freak, & has increased his speed each year.

To think Aaron Donald is going to be playing with a real cheap on his shoulder.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"Aaron's Aaron," Gurley said. "He's going to dominate practice."

Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice?!?!?

I was encouraged by the play of Tyrunn Walker and Tanzel Smart, but the Redskin offensive line is one of the better offensive lines in the NFL, so the Rams step up in class, but having Donald back should assist in balancing the scale.

Cousins had a bad game against a terrific Eagles defense so he's going to be looking to bounce back. WP needs to find ways to rattle him so he has another bad game.

Isn't Donald playing like defensive end ?

I think he's going to get moved around a lot, Quinn too, which is going to create opportunities for other guys. For each other really. I'm actually thinking that the players up front on defense are more dangerous in a 3-4 than a 4-3 because there are speed guys and power guys so you have the ability to really "play chess" with an offensive line and really keep them guessing.

The big test comes in Week 4. And there is a real chance that both teams will be undefeated coming into that game.

I'm looking forward to revenge versus the 49ers. They are owed an embarrassing loss IMO. I want a shutout in that game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cousins had a bad game against a terrific Eagles defense so he's going to be looking to bounce back. WP needs to find ways to rattle him so he has another bad game.
I think McVay may have a little insight into Cousins he can pass on to Wade!!(y):mrburnsevil:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The big test comes in Week 4. And there is a real chance that both teams will be undefeated coming into that game.

I'm looking forward to revenge versus the 49ers. They are owed an embarrassing loss IMO. I want a shutout in that game.

Oh man, you had to say it out loud! Since preseason, I've been thinking about that clash of 3-0 teams in week 4. I just didn't want to get too carried away.
...but since you brought it up, I can see a 4-0 matchup vs Seattle. THAT would be a HUGE game.

But it all starts w/ a difficult game Sunday. Let's hope the Rams find their running game.

jap

Legend
Did anyone ever see the conditioning Aaron does ?? He is a freak, & has increased his speed each year.

To think Aaron Donald is going to be playing with a real chip on his shoulder.

These are the games that matter, and Aaron gets to showcase his real market value to the world.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Oh man, you had to say it out loud! Since preseason, I've been thinking about that clash of 3-0 teams in week 4. I just didn't want to get too carried away.
...but since you brought it up, I can see a 4-0 matchup vs Seattle. THAT would be a HUGE game.

But it all starts w/ a difficult game Sunday. Let's hope the Rams find their running game.

Seattle wont be 4-0 they are 0-1 right now lol.