A timely question for CoachO...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The mere mention of "the hammer" in the OP introduces his "presence"

Last time I checked we were afforded opinions, some like him, some...ehh not so much.

What's wrong with that?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hammer is an awesome poster. The hatred that some have for him, (is he even a member here), can best be described as poster envy. You can disagree with him all you like, but his thoughts are almost always vetted and supported.

Always nice to hear from Coach O. Happy New Year Sir!

Last year he convinced the Ramstalk board that Fisher and Snead were looking to draft a first round TE based off of his 'Who the Rams have scouted thread'. I posted that it was preposterous to assume to know what exact players they were scouting when each game had two whole teams that they could be looking at.

Hammers response to me was 'Scary stupid post'

How many Tight Ends did the Rams draft last year? That being said, he would be a decent poster if he would stop attacking everyone that disagrees with him. He does exhaustive research.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year he convinced the Ramstalk board that Fisher and Snead were looking to draft a first round TE based off of his 'Who the Rams have scouted thread'. I posted that it was preposterous to assume to know what exact players they were scouting when each game had two whole teams that they could be looking at.

Hammers response to me was 'Scary stupid post'

How many Tight Ends did the Rams draft last year? That being said, he would be a decent poster if he would stop attacking everyone that disagrees with him. He does exhaustive research.

I never posted on Ramstalk so I don't know much about the guy. But from what some people were saying on another board, it seems like people on that forum tend to just echo what he says when it comes to prospects.

That's what I like about this place. We all respect each other but we all have differing opinions and we're all willing to stand our ground on them. That's what makes things interesting. Plus, Old Larry doesn't post here...that can't be understated. :LOL:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I never posted on Ramstalk so I don't know much about the guy. But from what some people were saying on another board, it seems like people on that forum tend to just echo what he says when it comes to prospects.

That's what I like about this place. We all respect each other but we all have differing opinions and we're all willing to stand our ground on them. That's what makes things interesting. Plus, Old Larry doesn't post here...that can't be understated. :LOL:

BTW What the hell you doing up at this hour?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW What the hell you doing up at this hour?

Procrastinating going to sleep. Have stuff I have to do tomorrow(well, today) that I don't want to do. So trying to squeeze every second available out of the time I have before that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know how paper pushers sleep at all. In the summer when I work outside all day I sleep great. In the winter my sleep patterns are very erratic.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I use to post a lot at Ramstalk, and I thought CoachO, and the Hammer were among the most informed people their.
Then, Thanks to @RamzFanz and X, I found ROD and over 2000 VERY informed Football Fans! I VERY SELDOM GO BACK THEIR ANYMORE!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame

It's funny that you bring up "Old Larry", because he "introduced" himself to me a couple of years ago while I was at one of the training camp practices. He tried to come off as this nice personable guy, and NONE of his opinions that he is so well known for on RamsTalk ever made it into any of our conversations. The most awkward experience of all my years of being at training camp, is when he showed up, while Hammer and I were sitting up on the hill as we always do, and seeing Old Larry trying to offer an olive branch to Hammer. Hammer didn't cause a scene, but he wasn't having any of Larry's act either.

You mentioned in an earlier post, that most people aren't the same in real life as they are sitting at a keyboard. Well, Old Larry tries to live up to that, but its just impossible to see him for anything other than a grumpy old man. He is the definition of a guy who suffers from "little man syndrome", resembling a poor man's version of Danny DeVito.

Last edited:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Hammer is better at talent evaluation than anyone on this board. It's funny seeing people criticize his evaluations when they can't do better.
BULL!
He is fantastic at finding info on the web that pertains to the draft...and I mean that sincerely, he finds some really great info that he shares. But all too often will he make a statement about a player and if it doesn't pan out he will either deny making such statements or ignore you if you show him exactly where he said it.

He is also really good at giving the perception that he is never wrong...he does this by cherry picking successful NFL player later and mentioning how he said _____ and ____ about this guy coming out and that Snead should have been looking at him. You'll never see him mention how he was wrong about a certain player, though it does happen.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Back to the OP topic here ... We now know that Boras is very good at coaching the fundamentals of the game and minute details involved .... but .... does that necessarily make him a good Offensive Coordinator? I mean ... a Coordinator has to be able to adjust, game plan, find strengths and weaknesses (with his own team and the opposition) and apply all these things on the fly. You almost have to have a sixth sense to the game. I think that is one of the things that wasn't Schottenheimer's strengths or abilities. It's one thing to know how to teach .. and even draw up plays that "work" theoretically ... But applying it all and being able to play it like a lightening game of chess is another.

So ... my question as to whether or not Boras has what it takes to be a good OC candidate is ... can he do these things? Maybe I missed somewhere, where that has already been asked and answered?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Back to the OP topic here ... We now know that Boras is very good at coaching the fundamentals of the game and minute details involved .... but .... does that necessarily make him a good Offensive Coordinator? I mean ... a Coordinator has to be able to adjust, game plan, find strengths and weaknesses (with his own team and the opposition) and apply all these things on the fly. You almost have to have a sixth sense to the game. I think that is one of the things that wasn't Schottenheimer's strengths or abilities. It's one thing to know how to teach .. and even draw up plays that "work" theoretically ... But applying it all and being able to play it like a lightening game of chess is another.

So ... my question as to whether or not Boras has what it takes to be a good OC candidate is ... can he do these things? Maybe I missed somewhere, where that has already been asked and answered?

While I understand what you are saying, I disagree that position coaches aren't just as involved in many of the areas you point out in your post. There isn't a position coach who isn't involved in putting together weekly game plans. They are involved in game day adjustments, as they have to be able to understand what opponent defenses are doing as it pertains to their specific unit. For example, an O-line coach has to be absolutely aware of how defenses are lining up, and have the ability to make adjustments on the fly to counter it. That is why you see the units getting together after EVERY series to discuss what just transpired.

A TE coach like Boras, has to be able to adjust to what sort of looks the defenses are in, to "coach" his position players as to what adjustments they need to make be it in blocking assignments or routes that need to be adjusted.

Each team is different as to what coaches are on the sideline and which are in the coaches box upstairs. But make no mistake, they are all involved.

Now, I will agree with you, as to having the ability to actually call plays. The rally good play callers have the ability to anticipate what kinds of coverages opponents will throw at them in certain situations. Granted, most of that comes from preparation, and studying the tendencies. But there is something to be said about just "having a feel" for it. It remains to be seen if Boras has that knack.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's funny that you bring up "Old Larry", because he "introduced" himself to me a couple of years ago while I was at one of the training camp practices. He tried to come off as this nice personable guy, and NONE of his opinions that he is so well known for on RamsTalk ever made it into any of our conversations. The most awkward experience of all my years of being at training camp, is when he showed up, while Hammer and I were sitting up on the hill as we always do, and seeing Old Larry trying to offer an olive branch to Hammer. Hammer didn't cause a scene, but he wasn't having any of Larry's act either.

You mentioned in an earlier post, that most people aren't the same in real life as they are sitting at a keyboard. Well, Old Larry tries to live up to that, but its just impossible to see him for anything other than a grumpy old man. He is the definition of a guy who suffers from "little man syndrome", resembling a poor man's version of Danny DeVito.
Truly good story.
Old Larry is a grumpy poster. Not a whole lot of fun.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
BULL!
He is fantastic at finding info on the web that pertains to the draft...and I mean that sincerely, he finds some really great info that he shares. But all too often will he make a statement about a player and if it doesn't pan out he will either deny making such statements or ignore you if you show him exactly where he said it.

He is also really good at giving the perception that he is never wrong...he does this by cherry picking successful NFL player later and mentioning how he said _____ and ____ about this guy coming out and that Snead should have been looking at him. You'll never see him mention how he was wrong about a certain player, though it does happen.
I don't think this guy is a member here any longer.
CGI showed him the door I believe.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I t
While I understand what you are saying, I disagree that position coaches aren't just as involved in many of the areas you point out in your post. There isn't a position coach who isn't involved in putting together weekly game plans. They are involved in game day adjustments, as they have to be able to understand what opponent defenses are doing as it pertains to their specific unit. For example, an O-line coach has to be absolutely aware of how defenses are lining up, and have the ability to make adjustments on the fly to counter it. That is why you see the units getting together after EVERY series to discuss what just transpired.

A TE coach like Boras, has to be able to adjust to what sort of looks the defenses are in, to "coach" his position players as to what adjustments they need to make be it in blocking assignments or routes that need to be adjusted.

Each team is different as to what coaches are on the sideline and which are in the coaches box upstairs. But make no mistake, they are all involved.

Now, I will agree with you, as to having the ability to actually call plays. The rally good play callers have the ability to anticipate what kinds of coverages opponents will throw at them in certain situations. Granted, most of that comes from preparation, and studying the tendencies. But there is something to be said about just "having a feel" for it. It remains to be seen if Boras has that knack.
Would believe that Fisher wouldn't offer the job to him if he didn't feel he could handle it.
If Boras does get the job and Fisher doesn't believe he's doing it well, Fisher will relinquish Boras of his play calling duties. As we've seen in the past.

Nobody knows Boras better than the coaches and players, that spend much of their waking hours with him.
So if Fisher moves him into the OC position, I'll trust his decision in doing so.
Everybody starts somewhere.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Procrastinating going to sleep. Have stuff I have to do tomorrow(well, today) that I don't want to do. So trying to squeeze every second available out of the time I have before that.
Welcome to my life.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't know the guy but I wouldn't necessarily assume that unless you've met him in real life. Just saying.

Some people are the same way they are in real life as they are on the internet. While others are completely different people.

Take me, for example. On the internet, I'm pretty much a douche. Kind of a knowitall. Seem really intense and argumentative.

In real life? I'm completely the opposite. I guess the internet provides an outlet for the "bad" side of me. Pretty much anyone that knows me would describe me as laid back, kind, humble, and always joking around. I don't really do that much arguing in real life because I rarely ever see the point.

I'm pretty much Dr. Jekyl in real life and Mr. Hyde on the internet. But it works for me...because it creates balance. The dickish behavior comes out on the internet and the kind behavior comes out in real life.

Thank you all for being my outlet. ;)

We've all seen the dickish and intense side.

But you've got a lot of respect because you mix in humility.

Damn good members here. Count you in.