A Solution for NFL’s “Hard Knocks” Dilemma/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
A Solution for NFL’s “Hard Knocks” Dilemma
By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2014/06/10/end-charade-solution-nfls-hard-knocks-dilemma/

The Browns did something on Monday that could have an adverse effect on Jeff Fisher and the Rams, and no, it has nothing to do with Johnny Manziel.

Cleveland became the latest team to tell HBO to “get lost” when it comes to participating in the latest installment of “Hard Knocks.” The Browns had the right to turn down the network’s request because NFL rules stipulate that no team with a first-year head coach has to participate in the show. But eight teams, including the Rams, don’t have the right to refuse, which means Mike Pettine didn’t do Fisher any favors with his decision on Monday. We’ve already endured plenty of speculation that the show would feature the Rams because of the attention surrounding Michael Sam.

Some speculate ‘Hard Knocks’ could come calling for the Rams with the attention surrounding Michael Sam

Fans love the show, but head coaches would rather hook jumper cables up to their eyebrows and have someone rev the engine than worry about what kind of distraction HBO’s cameras would have on their team. In the coaches’ eyes, the jumper cables would cause less pain.

But what if the NFL could alleviate the headache by choosing the participating team well in advance of training camp? The solution is to force the team with that year’s No. 1 overall pick to participate in “Hard Knocks” and thus end the yearly charade that is this nauseating storyline.

Your first thought may be about the current rules in place that exempt certain teams from having to participate in “Hard Knocks.” The three exemptions are: 1) A first-year head coach is in place; 2) A playoff berth in the past two seasons; 3) A “Hard Knocks” appearance in the past 10 years.

But I couldn’t care less about these rules and, clearly, the league couldn’t, either. The NFL had no problem with HBO making Manziel the star of this year’s “Hard Knocks” because the league left it up to Pettine to turn down the request. Had Pettine said yes, then the NFL wasn’t going to stand in the way of HBO taking fans behind the scenes of “Johnny Football’s” first training camp. So why should we care about these inconsequential rules, either?

The other objection I’ve heard is that the team with the first overall pick wouldn’t be interesting. Are you kidding? First and foremost, there’s usually instant intrigue surrounding the player that gets drafted first overall. Last year may have been the exception, seeing as how Eric Fisher wasn’t a big name, but the Chiefs were nonetheless appealing in Andy Reid’s first season in Kansas City (especially seeing as how much success the team wound up having).

The other teams that would have participated in “Hard Knocks” under this idea would have been Andrew Luck’s Colts in 2012, Cam Newton’s Panthers in 2011, Sam Bradford’s Rams in 2010 and Matthew Stafford’s Lions in 2009. On the surface, the 2008 Dolphins may not have drawn ratings, but that was the year Miami went to the playoffs after hiring Bill Parcells (again, instant intrigue to football fans) as executive vice president of football operations. JaMarcus Russell and the dysfunctional Raiders would have been the subject of “Hard Knocks” back in 2007 (Purple drank, anyone?), while cameras would have followed Mario Williams around camp in 2006 after the Texans chose him over Reggie Bush.

There are always intriguing storylines in the NFL, and if the league is going to require one team to participate in “Hard Knocks,’ Hard Knocks, then award/punish the team that finished dead last. (Here’s the good news, NFL franchise: You’ve been awarded the No. 1 overall pick. The bad news is that your every waking move will be filmed throughout training camp. Guess you shouldn’t have blown that fourth-quarter lead back in Week 16.)

This isn’t a pressing issue for the league, but it would be nice if the NFL were efficient in deciding which of its teams was going to be unwillingly dissected for viewers.

I’m sure that sentiment is currently felt by Fisher and the Rams as they await their “Hard Knocks” fate.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So despite the ground rules set in stone to qualify/disqualify teams for this show, HBO wanted Manziel and the Browns anyway...the NFL approached the Browns(despite them not being eligible)...and the Browns refused?
:LOL:
Kudos to coach Pettine. Well done. Fuck off HBO.

And apparently these rules were meant to be broken as long as it fits into the collaborative marketing orgy that HBO and the NFL wanted. I'm surprised that the NFL didn't try to quietly strong-arm Cleveland into this behind the scenes. Who knows? Maybe they did.

Here comes HBO Rams fans. #@%!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Those rules are there so if a team doesn't volunteer they have a way of making a team...so I don't understand the sentiment that the NFL and HBO are ignoring the rules by asking the Browns to do it. All they did was ask the Browns to be that volunteer.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Those rules are there so if a team doesn't volunteer they have a way of making a team...so I don't understand the sentiment that the NFL and HBO are ignoring the rules by asking the Browns to do it. All they did was ask the Browns to be that volunteer.
The fact that those rules are there because no NFL coach wants to participate is reason enough for me to hate on this.
Just ignore me on this subject. I'm jaded. I cant stand "reality tv" and the NFL should have no rights to force an organization to do this, therefor i find it transparent that they went to an unqualified team to "ask them." It's all about ratings and not at all about whats best for any given team or any rules the NFL has put in place.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The fact that those rules are there because no NFL coach wants to participate is reason enough for me to hate on this.
Just ignore me on this subject. I'm jaded. I cant stand "reality tv" and the NFL should have no rights to force an organization to do this, therefor i find it transparent that they went to an unqualified team to "ask them." It's all about ratings and not at all about whats best for any given team or any rules the NFL has put in place.
I'm with you. And it's even worse that they're granting an exception to teams that have been to the playoffs recently.... IE the teams most likely to be able to withstand the distraction.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It would be a distraction if the Rams were somehow forced to participate, but I'd still watch the shit out of it.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
It would be a distraction if the Rams were somehow forced to participate, but I'd still watch the crap out of it.
I think a lot of us are in the same boat. After all, it's not like us not watching makes it less of a distraction for the Rams.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm with you. And it's even worse that they're granting an exception to teams that have been to the playoffs recently.... IE the teams most likely to be able to withstand the distraction.

Make it fan vote.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
A lot of you are probably tired of hearing me say it...but this show "distracted" the Jet's all the way to the AFC Championship game.

Until a team with certain expectations completely fails and attributes it to the fact they were on Hard Knocks I don't buy into it being a negative. Coaches might not like it, but coaches also hate giving press conferences and answering questions...so are those a major distraction too?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I see now that I am no match for your Internet Forum Fu. I yield.
You're learning.

wnod.gif

Boffo97

Name
Dave
A lot of you are probably tired of hearing me say it...but this show "distracted" the Jet's all the way to the AFC Championship game.

Until a team with certain expectations completely fails and attributes it to the fact they were on Hard Knocks I don't buy into it being a negative. Coaches might not like it, but coaches also hate giving press conferences and answering questions...so are those a major distraction too?
It doesn't have to make THE difference for it to be a distraction.

Are there any positives for the Rams being on it? Besides us getting access I mean?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It doesn't have to make THE difference for it to be a distraction.

Are there any positives for the Rams being on it? Besides us getting access I mean?
Sure it does. Exposure on a national stage generates more fan interest.

Keep in mind...just because the coach might not like it, doesn't mean the marketing team wouldn't.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Sure it does. Exposure on a national stage generates more fan interest.

Keep in mind...just because the coach might not like it, doesn't mean the marketing team wouldn't.
Drawbacks might far outweigh the benefits.

I would have nightmares about the crapstorm should the cameras catch ONE guy on the Rams using a certain slur in relation to Michael Sam. Even if it was just some UDFA camp body that wasn't going to make the team anyway.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Drawbacks might far outweigh the benefits.

I would have nightmares about the crapstorm should the cameras catch ONE guy on the Rams using a certain slur in relation to Michael Sam. Even if it was just some UDFA camp body that wasn't going to make the team anyway.
You are assuming that everything caught on camera gets put on the air.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever hearing any racial slurs being dropped in the past...and we well know that happens all the time in the NFL.

Don't be so naive to think that the NFL doesn't have some sort of limitations to HBO on what they can and can't air.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Funny shit. Nobody wants the Rams to have to do it, but EVERYONE desperately wants to watch it.