A Short Times Article of E.J Gaines and some other stuff.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sports Rams
A fit and healthy E.J. Gaines makes big plays in Rams training camp
Gary KleinRams cornerback E.J. Gaines is finally unencumbered and free to make plays.

Gaines showed his fitness Monday when he intercepted a Jared Goff pass that tipped off the hands of receiver Pharoh Cooper during a seven-on-seven drill. Gaines grabbed the ball and sprinted toward the end zone.

It was exactly the kind of play new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips expects, Gaines said. Phillips ran the Denver Broncos’ defense the last two seasons and helped them win a Super Bowl.

Lindsey Thiry and Gary Klein
It was one of the most memorable moments from Rams training camp last year: Receivers
Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, traversing UC Irvine’s campus in a go-kart, rolled the vehicle and both players fell out.

No one was injured and it appeared there was no property damage.

Camera crews filming HBO’s...

It was one of the most memorable moments from Rams training camp last year: Receivers Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, traversing UC Irvine’s campus in a go-kart, rolled the vehicle and both players fell out.

No one was injured and it appeared there was no property damage.

Camera crews filming HBO’s...

(Lindsey Thiry and Gary Klein)
Now he is competing with Kayvon Webster — who played as a backup under Phillips in Denver — and others to start opposite Trumaine Johnson.

“This is the best I’ve felt since probably my rookie year,” Gaines said. “So I’m just trying to get back into it and not do everything at one time. I think that’s been my problem the last couple years.”

Gaines said he was enjoying the competition and the energetic environment that McVay and his staff have created.

McVay, the NFL’s youngest coach, occasionally jumps into drills to cover receivers.

Asked to rate McVay’s coverage skills, Gaines laughed.

“Man, about a 3, honestly,” he said. “You can tell him I said that too.”

Backfield opportunity
Running back Lance Dunbar, signed in the offseason to be Todd Gurley’s backup, has not practiced because of a knee injury, opening the door for Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green and Justin Davis, an undrafted rookie from USC.

Brown, a third-year pro, played mainly on special teams last season. He rushed for 39 yards and caught three passes.

“He’s kind of got a quiet confidence about himself, where he just goes about his business, very reliable, knows exactly what to do and how to do it and he is a guy that we can depend on,” McVay said, adding, “Malcolm has done a nice job establishing himself as that secondary role.”

Green and Davis have “shown some flashes,” McVay said.

Famous alums

Gary Klein
It comes with the position.

Backup quarterbacks in the
NFL, and all levels of football, are accustomed to garnering support from fans unhappy with the starter.

When the endorsement comes from a Hall of Fame player, well, the backup takes notice.

Sean Mannion of the Rams did.

In a television interview...

It comes with the position.

Backup quarterbacks in the NFL, and all levels of football, are accustomed to garnering support from fans unhappy with the starter.

When the endorsement comes from a Hall of Fame player, well, the backup takes notice.

Sean Mannion of the Rams did.

In a television interview...

(Gary Klein)
McVay’s phone was buzzing Sunday after the Dodgers’ Kyle Farmer hit a walk-off double in his first major league at-bat.

McVay, 31, and Farmer, 26, both played quarterback at Marist School in Atlanta. McVay said he met Farmer at the school’s football camp when the Dodgers player was an eighth-grader and McVay was working as a camp counselor.

McVay led Marist to a state title in 2003. Farmer led Marist to a state title game in 2008.

So former coaches texted McVay with news about Farmer’s game-winning exploits for the Dodgers.

“That’s a cool deal,” McVay said. “They said, ‘It’s nice to see two guys having success in L.A.’

“I said, ‘We haven’t won a game yet. He’s making plays already. So you can say that after we win some games.’ ”

Notes
The Rams on Tuesday will be in full pads for the first time…. Offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth and linebacker Connor Barwin were among several players held out of drills on Monday. “What’s important for these guys is getting them at their optimum health by Sept. 10,when we open the season,” McVay said. “So, there’s a handful of guys that we want to be careful with…. Mostly it’s just exclusive to some of the veteran players.”

@latimesklein

Copyright © 2017, Los Angeles Times

e0dd2acd3574679864cd76965aa5dce2.png

jap

Legend
I am so glad to see EJ getting his legs back under him. When he is at his best, he can challenge Tru for #1 CB supremacy. I do not consider EJ to be as good as prime time Jenks, but he is a very solid CB when he is playing his best.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The bummer about EJ is he's gonna hit FA next year. Always liked him, the way he came in unheralded and won a spot, again I always tend to root for the underdogs. But yeah too bad he's gonna be gone most likely, so I hope he has a great year to ensure we get x2 round three picks from him and Tru.

If I was him, though, or any defensive player on this roster for that matter, I'd hang out with Wade. Dude is going to have success here, so why run after bigger bucks so that you can be miserable somewhere else? Now's the time to double down on the horns IMO.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The bummer about EJ is he's gonna hit FA next year. Always liked him, the way he came in unheralded and won a spot, again I always tend to root for the underdogs. But yeah too bad he's gonna be gone most likely, so I hope he has a great year to ensure we get x2 round three picks from him and Tru.

If I was him, though, or any defensive player on this roster for that matter, I'd hang out with Wade. Dude is going to have success here, so why run after bigger bucks so that you can be miserable somewhere else? Now's the time to double down on the horns IMO.
Agreed. The Rams may want to think about getting him under contract as we are sure to lose TruJo after the season. Gaines should not demand a huge deal at this point, but if he has a stand out season (like we hope he will), that will change.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gaines is definitely a top CB on this team when healthy. He has shown that. Great news that he is looking good.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
EJ is a PRO.
I pounded the table for him as the best value in the draft. A guy that I thought could contribute early and was a massive value to find as a mid-late round pick. So pro-ready. He was like a less hyped DB version of Cooper Kupp. Just a guy who balled out and produced all through college and then straight into the NFL and there didn't even appear to be a learning curve. Once he stepped on the field as a rookie in Horns, Gaines provided the most balanced, consistent play we ever got from a CB under Fisher. (Not that he was better than Tru or Jenks, but more consistent and disciplined, professional.) His play stood out as being on par with the best starters we've had in the last 15 - 20 years.

I happened to be standing near the side of the field when he got tangled up with Kenny Britt at training camp...
Such a bummer. One of the best developments for our team this year would be Gaines recovering his form and playing like he used to.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With EJ playing at his peak, and the way Webster has been so far in TC, add in Tru we could have 3 really good Corners! I Like!!(y);):yess:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed. The Rams may want to think about getting him under contract as we are sure to lose TruJo after the season. Gaines should not demand a huge deal at this point, but if he has a stand out season (like we hope he will), that will change.

I'm not so sure about this @ this point in time. EJ was MIA IR'd in 2015 & his play in 2016 season was :poop:. Now if EJ hits it out of the park here in TC & all indications that his health has returned then I would be all in for securing this young professional CB for 2018 season. He has a ton to prove here if he can be a starting BCB. If not then there is no hurry.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I do not consider EJ to be as good as prime time Jenks, but he is a very solid CB when he is playing his best.
Very few cornerbacks are as good as "primetime Jenks".

Unfortunately we only saw Primetime Jenks about 20% of the time.

Other times he could be very average or downright ugly.

I'll take a hard-working, team oriented 6th rounder Gaines over a selfish "Mr.pix6shit" any day.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very few cornerbacks are as good as "primetime Jenks".

Unfortunately we only saw Primetime Jenks about 20% of the time.

Other times he could be very average or downright ugly.

I'll take a hard-working, team oriented 6th rounder Gaines over a selfish "Mr.pix6shit" any day.

I would definitely say we saw more then 20% it's just that people tend to focus on the negatives more then the positives

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would definitely say we saw more then 20% it's just that people tend to focus on the negatives more then the positives
Naw. I started out of big fan of Jenkins but watching him get burnt like Toast Patterson while he was eyeing that Pick 6 constantly unfortunately turned me against him he's not a team player he's a "me" guy.

He has admitted that the pick-6 is more important to him then being a shutdown corner.

He also admitted that he gets kind of lazy towards the end of the game.

Who even admits that kind of stuff?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
A truthful sonofabitch

He was being honest. I'm sure Greg Williams point it out to him.

There were a lot of times Rodney & Jenkins would break down in Communication. It would always baffle me ,especially when The Rams finally went ahead of teams.

I think it showed maturity. He has grown
& seems to have found his passion. The Rams didn't trust him.
--Fisher messed up from the being a little by having him work his first contract in a special way.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Naw. I started out of big fan of Jenkins but watching him get burnt like Toast Patterson while he was eyeing that Pick 6 constantly unfortunately turned me against him he's not a team player he's a "me" guy.

He has admitted that the pick-6 is more important to him then being a shutdown corner.

He also admitted that he gets kind of lazy towards the end of the game.

Who even admits that kind of stuff?

I just wished they franchised him & not Tru. They should have taken care of Tru first.