A Serious October Mock Offseason. Only One Trade, I Promise.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cut - Jared Cook, Rodger Saffold, Kenny Britt, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis.

Long and Laurinaitis are surprises, but it saves serious money for the important signings. The rest are obvious.

Trade and Sign - 2017 first round pick for Alshon Jeffery - five years, 11 million per year. He's a number one wide receiver, and he's worth a number one pick. The Bears might want to keep him, but if they get a good enough offer, they'll take it.

Re-sign - Trumaine Johnson (four years, 7 million per year), Janoris Jenkins (four years, 8 million per year), Cory Harkey (three years, 3 million per year), Greg Zuerlein (four years, 2 million per year), Daren Bates (RFA), Benny Cunningham (RFA).

Extend - Michael Brockers (five years, 5.5 million per year), T.J. McDonald (four years, 7.5 million per year).

Convert - Lamarcus Joyner (CB - FS).

Free Agency - William Hayes, Nick Fairley, Eugene Sims, Case Keenum, Tim Barnes, Brian Quick, Rodney McLeod, Mark Barron, Chase Reynolds, Cody Davis, JoLonn Dunbar.

Unfortunately, you can't re-sign everyone, especially when you have to extend guys like Brockers and McDonald as well as Johnson, Jenkins, and Jeffery. I know that I'm losing valuable players such as McLeod and Barron, as well as valuable depth in Hayes and Sims. I feel that McLeod and Barron will ask for more money than they're worth to our team. We have replacements in Joyner and Alexander. As for Barnes? Rhaney can man the center spot until the draft pick is ready.

Trade - Sean Mannion to Texans for Patriots 2016 fifth round pick. They need a quarterback like diseases need a cure. Mannion is young and fits their system.

Draft

1. Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State. He's raw, but very strong. He's the obvious Long replacement, and he'll excel with Waufle's tutelage.

2. (Eagles). Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State. I'll be frank: I don't trust Nick Foles, and Jones slipping this much is a blessing in disguise. He's struggling with Meyer, but with the right tutelage and learning for a year, he'll be a great quarterback.

2. Scooby Wright III, LB, Arizona. The James Laurinaitis replacement. Cerebral, solid tackler and blitzer. Only issues are injuries.

3. Max Tuerk, C, USC. Would be a first round pick in this class if not for his torn ACL. A 6'6", 290 lbs. center with the frame to put on more weight and has helped Cody Kessler be as good as he is.

4. Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn. Only falls this far because of an ACL, a recent hip injury, and ineffectiveness. He's another first round talent and a perfect fit at right end.

5. (Texans/Patriots). Bronson Kaufusi, DE, Brigham Young. An older prospect who is playing as a stand-up end. He fits more with his hand in the ground because he can't cover, and he's played at up to 289 lbs. before.

6. Kenya Dennis, CB, Missouri. I have to take a Mizzou guy in this draft somehow, but Dennis is more than worth it. He's been a worthy replacement for E.J. Gaines. He's physical, gets pass-breakups, and has been turning them into interceptions this year. Well worth a sixth round pick, especially since E.J. Gaines might not be back immediately (as well as Johnson and Jenkins being occasionally nicked up).

Thoughts and all are deeply appreciated.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sorry but no thanks.

Your not too optimistic about the free agents. The Rams will be in good shape to sign most of them. There was an article posted here a while ago, saying as much.

Trading Mannion for a late fifth after using a third for him the year before? Who does that?

And when are people going to start seeing Cardale Jones for what he is? A big slow footed, slow minded QB with a cannon arm that isn't able to throw short passes or make all the reads. Meyer knows it because he plans on subbing Miller in the red zones. Ohio State has not moved the ball well at all with Jones. They win games in the second have with long runs by Elliott. How does Jones equate to an NFL starter?

And if the Rams draft 3 players who are injured or injury prone I may quit following them until Snead and Fisher are gone.......and I have been a fan since 76'

Stel

Starter
Since you started it and it is a bye week, I'll throw out my very early, barely researched, semi-serious, no trades, mock draft:

Assumptions:
Jenkins, Johnson and Barnes are resigned.
Hayes OR Sims is resigned.
Laurinaitis and Long are NOT cut.
Our other role players who are FAs will be resigned or replaced by similar FAs.

1 - WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss***
2A - ILB Kendell Beckwith, LSU***
2B - TE Hunter Henry, Arkansas***
3 - C Evan Boehm, Missouri
4 - DE James Cowser, Southern Utah
6 - CB/FS DeAndre Houston-Carson, William & Mary

***denotes underclassman

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan. Not a fan of breaking up a defense that's playing extremely well and then drafting a bunch of guys in the early round when our offense is currently the problem.

Not sure about Cardale right now. Haven't watched him this year. But if he's not playing well, as has been said, it would make me hesitant to take him. Especially with Carson Wentz available in this class. Wentz is even more physically talented than Cardale imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it were me, I'd do something like:
Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR
Akeem Ayers OLB (but he might earn a spot if he plays well down the stretch)

That leaves us with around $56 million in cap space (projected).

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins
Trumaine Johnson
Greg Zuerlein
Mark Barron
Daren Bates
Benny Cunningham
Cory Harkey
Tim Barnes
Will Hayes
Brian Quick (if he finishes the year strong)
Rodney McLeod (depending on the price)

Free Agency
Alex Boone/Brandon Books/Mitchell Schwartz/Cordy Glenn/Kelechi Osemele OG (if we have the money to make a splash)
DL Depth
LB Depth

Draft
Round 1 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh
Round 2 - Nick Martin C/OG Notre Dame
Round 2 - Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State
Round 3 - Austin Hooper TE Stanford
Round 4 - Skai Moore LB South Carolina

I wanted to keep the defense together this off-season and draft some talent to shore up the offense. The plan for 2017 will be to plan for the future of the defense. Wentz is as physically talented as any QB since Kaepernick. I'm hoping we can develop him to be the QB of the future.

QB: Nick Foles
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Tyler Boyd
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown
C: Nick Martin
RG: FA
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod vs. LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On top of Nick Martin from Notre Dame, Max Tuerk from USC, and Evan Boehm from Missouri, Mike Matthews from TAMU also interests me as a Center prospect. This might end up being a VERY strong year for the Center position.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@jrry32 So you don't think there is a chance that the future ORG is on the team?

I think the Rams top target last year should have been Hudson.

I could go with your draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 So you don't think there is a chance that the future ORG is on the team?

I think the Rams top target last year should have been Hudson.

I could go with your draft.

If he is, we should find out by the end of the year. But I've not seen anything to indicate that yet.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If he is, we should find out by the end of the year. But I've not seen anything to indicate that yet.

A few seem to have believe Wichman can be a stud. I wonder if Battle or Williams can develop enough to chase GRob inside, or one of them moves inside.

New England Patriots make it a point to have their linemn play other positions in case of injuries. Maybe St. Louis should do the same. Maybe they would discover that they have a guy that can play all over, like Saffold did. I said for years that they should move him inside and when they finally I'd he played great there.