A QB draft question for all draftniks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Can someone help a Ram brother out?

I'm kinda conflicted regarding our QB draft strategy as I study posts, read pundit reviews, see the mocks evolving, and ponder the various lists of "top 100" players.

Frankly, the evals of this QB class seem to be all over the danged board. And these evals are by people that do this for a living or by draftniks that have spent hundreds of hours of film study!

Suggestions for Ram strategy have ranged from trading the farm in the '16 AND '17 drafts to move up to #1 overall to take a Goff or Wentz, to trading down into the twenties while picking up a 2nd or 3rd rounder and selecting a "second tier" QB that might prove to be just as good as one of the Big 3.

Others have advocated just sitting at #15 and letting one of the Big 3 just fall into our lap because there are at least 14 better football players in this draft to push such a QB down to us.

Still others recommend taking BPA at #15 since a terrific player will be there at a position of our need, including DE, WR, maybe MLB. Then taking best QB at our #43 pick.

Is it just me, but doesn't this seem like a particularly difficult draft for a QB needy team picking in the mid rounds?

And we still have over 9 weeks of this back and forth to consider. Geez. Am I gonna survive this? Lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes there are many scenarios and at least two of top three QBs are projected based on physical gifts and glimpses of future success. So, unless the Rams trade to number 1 and take Goff, the idea of moving up for a raw prospect comes into question. How far do you move up for potential?

It all depends on how much the Rams like what they have already. It also depends on how much they like the draftable QBs and if they value the position enough to make a match.

The team could, fall in love with a scrambler like Prescott and not have to trade. Or they could move up to 5 and take Wentz. All of the predicting here won't give anyone any answers and with the team in a new town, it is not likely the press will have much insight either.

So, watch the combine, follow private workouts, watch game clips, then pick your guy and cross your fingers.

Ants

Starter
Tough one to call indeed. There are numerous quality QB's available in this draft...but how much talent separates them?
Personally, I think they should stay where they are and draft BPA in the 1st and then see who's there in the 2nd. But that's me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember when early on in the process both Teddy Bridgewater and Geno Smith were considered the #1 overall pick
Long way to go

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams need to do what needs to be done to get their guy. If it takes an RGIII trade, so be it. If it could be done for much better value or no trade at all, that's preferable. But they can't lose out. This is a franchise defining draft.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Trade the farm? Bradford was a better prospect than this entire QB class and we took him at #1. Five years later we are looking at QB again. It's bad enough that a #1 pick did not pan out but it would have been worse if we traded up for that pick.

With that being said, I am hoping to come away with a new signal caller but I'd steer clear from selling the farm.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bradford was a better prospect than this entire QB class
I think Sammy was coming off two consecutive years of season ending injuries in college....I think he had a knee injury (not sure) as a junior....and I'm positive he broke his collar bone in his senior season.....so he was a prospect with significant injury risks...And other than Cook & Wentz, neither of the other QB's have any injury history. (Lynch, Goff, Hackenberg, Brissett, Prescott, and Hogan)...Injury history to me, can lower any prospect.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
A lot of folks here have been giving this QB class credit from day one and I think it's going to prove to be one of the best we've seen in some years. Some of these guys will tank of course, some will end up being non-special, but the sheer numbers favor this class producing some starters and difference makers.

The other really deep positions are DT and DE. Teams are gonna get heathy on the DL in this draft well into midrounds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Trade the farm? Bradford was a better prospect than this entire QB class and we took him at #1. Five years later we are looking at QB again. It's bad enough that a #1 pick did not pan out but it would have been worse if we traded up for that pick.

With that being said, I am hoping to come away with a new signal caller but I'd steer clear from selling the farm.

Goff is very similar to Sam with the exception he does not come with history of injury. When the grades are finalized he might well be graded above him due to that alone.

Either way what's cool is in a week we're gonna see all manner of reports from the combine on these QBs going through the passing drills. I think an inordinate number of them are going to throw, and that's good for us because that's harder on the QBs than a controlled environment where everthing is perfect.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade the farm? Bradford was a better prospect than this entire QB class and we took him at #1.
Disagree entirely. Bradford was the only legitimate 1st round QB taken and went overall #1 because the Rams were desperately in need of QB. That was a terrible QB class, Hello, Jimmy Clausen, Tim Tebow?? and Bradford had some serious doubters due to his injury history AND concerns about his poor performance against pass rush

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
My guy is Paxton Lynch and I think the Rams will like him as well because he is a combination of the best elements of the guys Snisher hand picked. He is bigger than Foles, more mobile than Keenum, and better arm talent than Sean Mannion.

It seems like Goff and Wentz have pulled ahead of him because they have done more lately, but I think Lynch's stock will rise after the combine because of his size and athletic ability. In the end the rams will have to trade up to get their guy whoever it is, but I don't mind that all as long was we land our franchise cornerstone

Ants

Starter
Rams need to do what needs to be done to get their guy. If it takes an RGIII trade, so be it. If it could be done for much better value or no trade at all, that's preferable. But they can't lose out. This is a franchise defining draft.

Do you realize what you're saying here? "If it takes an RGIII trade, so be it" - In other words, you're ok blowing a bunch of picks for a guy that may/may not work out.
Ouch! We can do that without giving up a lot of picks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you realize what you're saying here? "If it takes an RGIII trade, so be it" - In other words, you're ok blowing a bunch of picks for a guy that may/may not work out.

NFL teams don't typically evaluate QBs through the lens of, "Oh, if we miss out on our guy, we'll just grab the next one." They identify their guy and they go after him hard.

The Rams need to find their guy and get him. That's it. Whatever it takes. You don't draft a player thinking, "Ya know, I might not be good at my job so he might fail."

This team is on the cusp of contention. Getting a truly good/great QB takes this team from mediocrity to a Super Bowl contender. I'll happily make the RGIII trade to make that jump.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I guess you could say that trade did work out as Washington has been in the playoffs 2 out of 4 years since the trade was made

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I guess you could say that trade did work out as Washington has been in the playoffs 2 out of 4 years since the trade was made

Of course, they made it this year without RG3 stepping foot onto the field. How much better would they have been with 3 more first round picks and a second who actually played for them?

RG3 was very good his rookie season. He's been basically a wasted roster spot since then.

Ants

Starter
"NFL teams don't typically evaluate QBs through the lens of, "Oh, if we miss out on our guy, we'll just grab the next one." They identify their guy and they go after him hard."

No doubt. I sort of misunderstood what you were saying.
But as long as they pick the right guy, I'm ok with it.
Easier said than done. :cautious:

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Can someone help a Ram brother out?

I'm kinda conflicted regarding our QB draft strategy as I study posts, read pundit reviews, see the mocks evolving, and ponder the various lists of "top 100" players.

Frankly, the evals of this QB class seem to be all over the danged board. And these evals are by people that do this for a living or by draftniks that have spent hundreds of hours of film study!

Lot's of good answers here. As you stated 9 more weeks to go. Seems every year things aren't set in stone as far as the draft. Some years there are clear cut #1 and #2 Qbs but that doesn't always work out. Could be just enough question marks about the top 3-4 Qbs that has the so called experts unsure. One thing we don't see are the NFL Teams early ratings. I'm not sure how the Rams are stacking their early draft board. I do think they will be spending tremendous resources to eval this QB draft class. They have options with the extra pick in round two to make offers to move up if they feel the move/player is warranted. Snead has proven he can work the draft. The Rams know what they have in Keenum and feel they could start the season with him and move a high draft pick rookie in later in the season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm good with identifying your guy and going after him. But only IF you think he is that player that will put you over the top do you sell the farm for him. If the Rams actually believe that guy is in the draft, go for it.