A myth that you need a "big" wide receiver?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
I think it's an interesting discussion because fans across most message boards think you need a Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant type as a #1, but the "big" #1 wr seems incredibly overrated to me. I'd take Antonio Brown over every one of those guys given his ability to break one on returns also.

Receiving yards: 2014

1. T.Y. Hilton 5'9'' 178 lb
2. Antonio Brown 5'10" 186 lb
3. Golden Taint 5'10'' 195 lb
4. Demaryius Thomas 6'3" 229 lb
5. Jordy Nelson 6'3" 217 lb
6. Julio Jones 6'3" 220 lb

7. Steve Smith 5'9" 195 lb
8. Dasean Jackson 5'10" 178 lb
9. Emmanuel Sanders 5'11" 180 lb
10. Jeremy Maclin 6'0" 198 lb

Only THREE out of the top 10 (in bold) are what people consider a "big" receiver. People say you need them for the red zone, but you look at the receiver with the most tds and its Randall Cobb, who is 5'10", with 9 tds....then most of the others at the top of the list are tight ends.

The thing I see the most as the common denominator? Franchise QBs (Luck, Manning, Rodgers etc) play for EVERY SINGLE one of those teams, except the Redskins (could argue the Eagles, but Foles looks well on his way and lost his top receiver in Jackson to FA).

What do you guys think?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Tavon has a long way to go before anyone can call him good.

All of those WRs on that list can get open. They have the combination of speed, Quickness and route running that allows them to separate. Used in the right way Tavon can get open but his route running is a long ways off.

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, you are saying TA sux!
Not at all, I'm pointing out that its just a myth and actually the opposite. Tavon has had primarily backup QBs running an archaic offense almost exclusively during his time in the Nfl.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. It is a myth. What's hard to believe is that any Rams fan would buy that myth when the GSOT had 3 incredibly productive pass catchers at 6'0", 6'0", and 5'10".

reggae

Yes. It is a myth. What's hard to believe is that any Rams fan would buy that myth when the GSOT had 3 incredibly productive pass catchers at 6'0", 6'0", and 5'10".
Well. I think he sux

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Calvin Johnson is hurt, that's the only reason Taint has those yards, and the Cowboys are running the ball. You don't NEED a Calvin Johnson type, but it certainly helps.

Let's be honest, which short WR would you take over the following?

Calving Johnson
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Brandon Marshall
Alshon Jeffries
Jordy Nelson

lockdnram21

Legend
Calvin Johnson is hurt, that's the only reason Taint has those yards, and the Cowboys are running the ball. You don't NEED a Calvin Johnson type, but it certainly helps.

Calving Johnson
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Brandon Marshall
Alshon Jeffries
Jordy Nelson
ill take Brown,Jackson,and sanders over Nelson

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Calving Johnson
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Brandon Marshall
Alshon Jeffries
Jordy Nelson

So you mean to tell us that it has nothing to do with Taint's ability and that if you made any WR the #1 in Detroit, they'd put up great numbers? If Brandon Gibson were the #1 right now, he'd be one of the NFL's leaders? No. I'd also like to point out that Golden Taint is SECOND in the NFL among WRs in yards after catch.

WRs currently playing? I'd take Antonio Brown over any of those WRs not named Calvin except AJ Green.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

Calving Johnson
Dez Bryant
Demaryius Thomas
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Brandon Marshall
Alshon Jeffries
Jordy Nelson

The way he's playing, I'd take Antonio Brown over the bottom three on that list without a hesitation.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Most football axioms are myths , but big receivers are an advantage and ameliorate the "need" to have a great QB (McCown last year), if Cam Newton had been throwing to Calvin Johnson Thurs. the Panther would have made a game of it.
The advantage of a big rec. over a small to average Cb is not myth,
Given the choice I'd take the bigger guy just for the catching range and ability to break tackles after the catch.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most football axioms are myths , but big receivers are an advantage and ameliorate the "need" to have a great QB (McCown last year), if Cam Newton had been throwing to Calvin Johnson Thurs. the Panther would have made a game of it.
The advantage of a big rec. over a small to average Cb is not myth,
Given the choice I'd take the bigger guy just for the catching range and ability to break tackles after the catch.

Here's my issue with this logic, yes, it's a definite advantage to have size when it comes to contested catches and traffic HOWEVER the disadvantage that size usually comes with is reduced cutting ability and change of directional skills. So while big WRs can make catches in traffic more easily, it is more difficult for them to separate with their route running.

Which is why I think it really evens out. The thing about a guy like Holt or Bruce or Harrison is that they rarely needed to make those sort of catches because they separated on their routes with their seemingly effortless cuts.

As far as breaking tackles after the catch goes, I must disagree with that notion. The top 5 in the NFL in 2013 in broken/eluded tackles after the catch were:
1. Golden Taint
2. Kendall Wright
3. Antonio Brown
4. Emmanuel Sanders
4. Dez Bryant
4. Pierre Garcon
4. Steve Smith
4. Harry Douglas

Dez Bryant is the only one of those 8 that is 6'2" or taller. This year, the top 5 are:
1. Steve Smith
2. Golden Taint
3. Kendall Wright
4. Jeremy Ross
5. Brandon Lafell

Lafell is the only one that is 6'2" or taller.

In 2012, the top 5 were:
1. Percy Harvin
2. Brandon Marshall
3. Golden Taint
4. Randall Cobb
5. A.J. Green
5. Davone Bess
5. Dez Bryant

Marshall, Green, and Bryant are all 6'2" or taller so it was a little more equal this year.

I think breaking tackles after the catch has more to do with the specific WR's skill-set than size. Antonio Brown, Golden Taint, and Kendall Wright have all been consistently among the best in the league at it due to their respective skill-sets.

It certainly helps to be big and strong but those quick little guys are tough to get down especially if they're slippery strong.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think, IN GENERAL, most teams need (or at least would like to have) a big receiver...This is a real subjective area...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think slipped tackles are not broken tackles

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No, you do not need a big WR.

However; like speed, quickness, and route skills... Height is another element to defend. So... Size is a bonus.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Everything hinges upon the QB (all WRs listed have pretty good QBs) and the offense and/or creativity of the Offensive Coordinator. Bigger WRs simply weren't/aren't necessary for the GSOT or Run-N-Shoot type offenses.

IMO, while advantageous, a true #1 WR doesn't have to be schemed (moved into slot, placed in bunch packages, etc.) to garner the majority of his success. And that's what happens with most of your smaller WRs in less spread out, more traditional, type packages.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Aside from the WR's there are a lot of BIG TE's killing it out there!

iced

anytime someone says you need a big receiver i just say "tori holt, isaac bruce"