A Lovely Spring Break Mock Draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
All right, are we ready for another insane mock draft? All right, here we go!

Trade:

Trumaine Johnson to the Cleveland Browns for #33 and #108.

(Makes all sort of sense. The Browns have a ton of cap space and a need for a cornerback after the Justin Gilbert failure.)

Rams second round pick (#37) and seventh round pick (#234) to the Minnesota Vikings for #79 and #86).

(Minnesota trades up to get an offensive lineman who falls to our pick, most likely Dan Feeney. In return, we get their third round picks.)

#33 - T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin.

(Dominant pass rusher who can lock down one side for the next five years.)

#69 - Akhello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado.

(Witherspoon immediately makes us forget who Tru is.)

#79 - Sidney Jones, CB, Washington.

(Jones falls because of his Achilles injury. Redshirts one year, and proves to be a dominant starting corner.)

#86 - Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova.

(My favorite prospect in this class. His height and burst are a rare combination.)

#108 - Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State.

(Small nickelback with solid ball skills.)

#112 - Chase Roullier, C, Wyoming.

(Right now, he's my favorite center prospect in this class. Big, strong, mean, and athletic.)

#141 - Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M.

(Deep threat with height and ability to pinpoint the ball and catch 50/50 contested catches.)

#149 - Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas.

(Arrested for shoplifting. One of the best blocking tight ends in this class.)

#189 - Ejuan Price, OLB, Pittsburgh.

(Undersized, but has a nice motor and underrated athleticism.)

#206 - T.J. Logan, RB, North Carolina.

(Logan will back up Gurley in the near future. He's an explosive athlete who can catch and run routes out of the backfield.)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't argue with the players. Good draft, Memento.

BTW, did you hear that Josh Augusta was diagnosed with a thyroid issue and dropped 40 or 50 pounds for his Pro Day? I think he ran around a 5.0 40. That might change my opinion on whether we should consider him. My concern was that he couldn't control his weight and was a slug on the field because of it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't argue with the players. Good draft, Memento.

BTW, did you hear that Josh Augusta was diagnosed with a thyroid issue and dropped 40 or 50 pounds for his Pro Day? I think he ran around a 5.0 40. That might change my opinion on whether we should consider him. My concern was that he couldn't control his weight and was a slug on the field because of it.

That's interesting. Thyroid problems would explain a lot. I'd consider him with a seventh round pick, actually.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like it memento, especially the massive cb run you go on. If two of the three pan out our cb is legit big time like what Wade had in Denver. Would probably replace logan with another WR but that's nitpicking. Love the sprinkle pick.

I say this to both you and Jerry, I don't think Watt makes it into day two regardless of what cbs sports says. I think he goes somewhere late in round 1. I'd love if he was available for us but just have that nagging feeling that it just won't happen. Hope I'm wrong though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love it! Two of my favorite picks in Roullier and Logan. This draft is the basis for a great defense for several years.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Tanoh at # 86 ? I don't think he'll be around.
Love the trade, rather it included the rights to Gordon than the 108 pick.
The late round TE & WR make me a bit uncomfortable on offense. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I say this to both you and Jerry, I don't think Watt makes it into day two regardless of what cbs sports says. I think he goes somewhere late in round 1. I'd love if he was available for us but just have that nagging feeling that it just won't happen. Hope I'm wrong though.

He'll fall, or he won't. I'm not sweating it either ways.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Very well done Memento! Nicely played....Let see if Price is another Donald...undersized motor from Pitt.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Just my two cents, but I don't get the recent trend of not addressing the offense until the 4th round when we just hired an offensive coach who's main objective is developing Jared Goff.

This was the 32nd ranked offense that got rid of its top WR and TE without replacing the TE and signing a guy who has never had a season like the WR we lost. I just cant see an rookie offensive minded coach who is calling plays going from Reed, Desean, Garcon, Crowder, and Vernon Davis (while still spending a first rounder Josh Doctson) to Tavon, Woods, Higbee, and some mid round rookies.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Really like this one Memento. Your best so far in my opinion. Would be stoked to get Kpassagnon in the 3rd. Well done

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like it memento, especially the massive cb run you go on. If two of the three pan out our cb is legit big time like what Wade had in Denver. Would probably replace logan with another WR but that's nitpicking. Love the sprinkle pick.

I have high hopes for Witherspoon and Jones (once he recovers from his Achilles). If Kazee pans out or if E.J. Gaines recovers fully, our cornerback position is great for the next four years at least. Logan is an eventual Dunbar replacement, and I don't trust Brown or Green, to be honest. Sprinkle has an awesome last name, so he gets points based on that alone.

If Watt goes in the first round, that means that some good pass-rusher is likely going to be pushed out. And with Cleveland's pick, I'd go with that pass-rusher or - failing that - go for Lamp or someone else who falls.

Love it! Two of my favorite picks in Roullier and Logan. This draft is the basis for a great defense for several years.

Right. The defense is the strength of the team. Re-sign Donald to whatever the hell he wants for seven years and Ogletree to a fair contract and they have the defensive core filled. And Roullier and Logan are favorites of mine as well.

Tanoh at # 86 ? I don't think he'll be around.
Love the trade, rather it included the rights to Gordon than the 108 pick.
The late round TE & WR make me a bit uncomfortable on offense. jmo.

It's fairly likely. He's rated in the lower half of the third round. If not, switch the Jones and Kpassagnon picks.

And I'd rather have a pick than Gordon at this point. I don't doubt that he's wanting another shot (pun not intended), but he could basically be had for nothing.

As for offense, I'm counting on growth from Goff, Gurley, Higbee, Hemingway, Cooper, Thomas, and Spruce in a great offensive system. Add in Reynolds and Sprinkle, and you have something. You don't need a number one wide receiver; you just need guys to fill certain roles on the team.

Very well done Memento! Nicely played....Let see if Price is another Donald...undersized motor from Pitt.

Price seems like a Dumervil clone. Maybe we make up for our mistake in 2006 with the Price pick? :D

Really like this one Memento. Your best so far in my opinion. Would be stoked to get Kpassagnon in the 3rd. Well done

Thank you! It's much appreciated. I'd be stoked to get him as well. He's the only one on my wish-list. I'd be saddened to see Seattle or Arizona take him. Don't expect the Whiners to take him with all of the defensive line players they have (with Armstead, Buckner, and possibly Solomon Thomas.)

Just my two cents, but I don't get the recent trend of not addressing the offense until the 4th round when we just hired an offensive coach who's main objective is developing Jared Goff.

This was the 32nd ranked offense that got rid of its top WR and TE without replacing the TE and signing a guy who has never had a season like the WR we lost. I just cant see an rookie offensive minded coach who is calling plays going from Reed, Desean, Garcon, Crowder, and Vernon Davis (while still spending a first rounder Josh Doctson) to Tavon, Woods, Higbee, and some mid round rookies.

That's very much true, but let me address this personally. I'll be quite frank: I expect this to be a mini-rebuild. The offense hasn't gotten much of a chance to show off because of the poor system of Fisher and Boras. McVay is going to be evaluating all of the guys we've selected to see who fits and who doesn't. Tavon, Woods, Higbee, Hemingway, Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, and possibly others.

The best way to help Goff right now is with Gurley. We've beefed up the offensive line, we're likely going to be selecting a center in this year's draft and cross-training Wichmann as a center. Gurley and Dunbar are going to be getting a lot of touches to help out Goff.

The best way to help out what will be a running/play-action team? Build a dominating defense. The more three-and-outs we have, the better. Phillips is going to be wanting pieces for his defense, too. With this draft, you build a dominating secondary with Witherspoon, Webster, Kazee, Gaines, and possibly others at corner, Joyner and Alexander as safeties, Watt, a healthy Quinn, Barwin, Price, Tree, "The Executioner" Barron with Forrest and Hager as backups. That's not even counting the solid depth we have on the defensive line. Donald, Brockers, Easley. Those three will start, in my honest opinion. Add in a Kpassagnon to eventually replace Easley, and you have something.

I expect offense to be addressed next year. McVay realizes that he has to build a defense to help out a struggling offense. It's like they say: the best offense is a dominant defense.