A look at where Steven Jackson stands

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[wrapimg=right]http://i.imgur.com/pqkDp8Z.png[/wrapimg]Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/92389/a-look-at-where-steven-jackson-stands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... son-stands</a>

No NFL player has more offensive touches or yards from scrimmage since 2004 than the St. Louis Rams' Steven Jackson.

That is both good and bad for the Rams' career rushing leader.

Jackson, who plans to void his contract to become a free agent March 12, has accomplished a great deal since entering the NFL as the 24th player chosen in the 2004 draft. He also has high miles as his 30th birthday approaches in July, raising questions about how much longer he can produce.

The two charts show where Jackson ranks in scrimmage yards and rushing yards over the course of his career. Note that NFC West rivals Frank Gore and Larry Fitzgerald also rank among the top five in scrimmage yards over the same period.

Separately, Jackson's rushing total (10,135) is easily best among players who also entered the NFL in 2004. Michael Turner (7,338), Willie Parker (5,378), Julius Jones (5,068) and Kevin Jones (3,176) trail him on that list.

Jackson ranks 26th on the NFL's all-time rushing list after posting his eighth consecutive season with at least 1,000 yards rushing. He needs 509 yards to overtake Ricky Watters for 20th. He needs 1,561 yards to overtake Fred Taylor for 15th. He needs 2,145 yards to overtake former teammate and Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk for 10th on the list.

Jackson would need 3,550 yards to overtake LaDainian Tomlinson for fifth.

LGgnlkc.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Man, that TD output is disturbing. :grr:

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How important is Steven Jackson returning for the Rams, and what do the Rams do if he decides to go to Atlanta, or Denver? Do they draft a running back? Do we get one in free agency? Do we have enough power on the roster now?

I think the Rams will miss SJ in a big way next year, but I realize that I am just thinking that because I really can't stand to think about SJ wearing another uniform. I like Richardson, but Ilike him as a change of pace back. Pead hasn't shown anything in his rookie year, but that doesn't mean he isn't talented. What do you guys think?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Juice said:
How important is Steven Jackson returning for the Rams, and what do the Rams do if he decides to go to Atlanta, or Denver? Do they draft a running back? Do we get one in free agency? Do we have enough power on the roster now?

I think the Rams will miss SJ in a big way next year, but I realize that I am just thinking that because I really can't stand to think about SJ wearing another uniform. I like Richardson, but Ilike him as a change of pace back. Pead hasn't shown anything in his rookie year, but that doesn't mean he isn't talented. What do you guys think?
I think Richardson runs very hard for his size, and he's not shy about contact or finding the crease. I also think Pead will come along nicely this year. I don't care what anyone says about Pead's slow start. That dude has SICK moves, and I think he was just a little slow out of the gate is all. Ganaway is also on the roster, and he has the ability to do what Jackson does, albeit on a smaller scale. If you want a big bruiser, then Ganaway is the guy. Pead and Richardson (IMO), are more than capable of teaming up for a successful season either way. They might just bring in another back via the draft or UDFA to compete as well. In fact, I'm almost sure of that.

As much as I love me some Steven Jackson, I don't think we'll be in terrible shape if he doesn't come back.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I've wondered about Pead's relative absence from the offense as a rookie and really never came up with a good answer. However, someone posted in the comments of some article I was reading that he was always late and that he was being disciplined.

Anyone ever hear about this?

iced

moklerman said:
I've wondered about Pead's relative absence from the offense as a rookie and really never came up with a good answer. However, someone posted in the comments of some article I was reading that he was always late and that he was being disciplined.

Never heard about that.

Just heard Richardson was out performing him - and when richardson dropped off, pead started getting to more opportunities. Although I do remember Pead being in for a few plays, one specifically i remember because it was one of my favorite plays in madden. Shotgun formation, back motions out of the backfield pre-snap and runs a streak. Bradford was a bit long on the throw - but I think it could have been a TD (and always was in madden lol)

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
moklerman said:

Perhaps the "late" is in reference to his college not graduating until June, which kept him out of OTAs. Certainly, that set him back in regards to Richardson, who did participate in OTAs.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Pead can start stop and juke on a dime. In the Pats game he got a run and juked about 3 guys out of their shoes. We haven't had a back able to do that since probably Marshall. Not to say he's anywhere near Faulk, but we can run by committee if needed.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Two things stand out to me. 1- He doesn't fumble often and ball security is such a big thing. 2) Like X alluded, those TD's would be a hell of a lot higher if he was ever on a good offense. Just shows what type of player he's been though. Sure would hate to see him not finish where he started.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Does anyone think, in part, that Jackson may want out, because he will likely get less carries this year. You would think that our other guys will get ramped up this season, and Jackson has probably been informed of that.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
DR RAM said:
Does anyone think, in part, that Jackson may want out, because he will likely get less carries this year. You would think that our other guys will get ramped up this season, and Jackson has probably been informed of that.

I think that has to play some part for sure. But I really have to think that some part of him would be torn up if he put in all the years of horrid football only to leave right when the team rose to the top. Obviously I don't "know" SJ but from everything I've heard him say, he sure seems like he wants to be part of enjoying the good times too. I mean does anyone on the team deserve to be part of the success here more than him?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:

Probably not less carries but for a long time he hasn't been getting TDs. on goal to go downs. It's frustrating to think how many TDs he could've had but b/c of shit playcalling doesn't.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:

Probably not less carries but for a long time he hasn't been getting TDs. on goal to go downs. It's frustrating to think how many TDs he could've had but b/c of shit playcalling doesn't.

Well now it's part of the team being handed over to Bradford. I noticed that in short goal to go situations they put the ball in Sam's hands. They trusted him to make the play, and Jackson knows that it's his team now. I don't think there's any bitterness there, but Jackson knows that although there's a big hole if he leaves, the team will survive and is in capable hands. Where as if he left 3-4 years ago they would have been totally screwed.

iced

bluecoconuts said:
Pead can start stop and juke on a dime. In the Pats game he got a run and juked about 3 guys out of their shoes. We haven't had a back able to do that since probably Marshall. Not to say he's anywhere near Faulk, but we can run by committee if needed.

running game, yes.

pass pro is where i am worried

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:

Unless he's just playing politically correct cards; SJ sounds very motivated to return to STL.

Saying in several interviews "he wants to see this through in STL". And... "STL is on the cusp of being a playoff team for years to come and wanting to be a part of it".

No matter where he goes, at +30, he's sharing carries to stay fresh.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
bluecoconuts said:

running game, yes.

pass pro is where i am worried

Good point. SJ knows the protection schemes and can execute blocks. The other guys... w-e-a-k.