A look at Gurley and Keenum by downs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was listening to Kirwan today on Sirius and he went on a bit about how successful the Rams were last night on first down, well productive is a better word. Still, he mentioned how the Rams had things rolling a bit, only to p!$$ away what should have been favorable down and distances on 2nd and 3rd downs. He also mentioned the penalties, and how the one drive that threatened the 9ers got moved way back to midfield after the personal foul. So decided to take a look and he was pretty much on point:

TG
1st Down runs: 9 for 34 yards, 3.8 average.
2nd Down runs: 6 for 8 yards, 1.3 average.
3rd Down runs: 1 for 2 yards, 2 average.
4th Down runs: 1 for 3 yards, 3 average.

CK
1st Down passes: 8 of 13 for 57 yards, 61.5% completion, 4.39 average, 0 TD, 1 INT.
2nd Down passes: 4 of 10 for 35 yards, 40% completion, 3.5 average, 0 TD, 1 INT.
3rd Down passes: 5 of 12 for 38 yards, 41.7% completion, 3.17 average, 0 TD, 0 INT. <--sacked 2x
4th Down passes: N/A.

With Gurley his numbers on first down were not Todd Gurley-ish but they were not terrible. Keenum on first down didn't have great completion percentages, but they were pretty much on par with what we should expect from a backup QB.

What stands out to me is the second and third down runs, first off, were absolutely terrible. And that was compounded by the passing, just as any of us would suspect after watching that horrid game, which had average completions of 3.5 and 3.17 yards.

Translation was the 9ers defense was rolled up tight to stop Gurley and the Rams played right into it with their sorry passing game. Their safety Bethea also came on later, and aside from discussing how big their DL is and some other BS I tuned out he mentioned what was also not a surprise, that stopping TG was their overall defensive focus going into the game. He finished by saying some nice things about Todd, that they had to face him again, and that he was probably going to be a load for whoever they play this week.

For me, looking at those numbers above make me want to puke. The Rams' failure was largely driven by scheme IMO, and specifically 2nd and 3rd downs. As Steve Young said during the game: you cannot attack NFL defenses only horizontally; you have to get vertical and throw into them. It's too bad Boras doesn't seem to be aware of that, and that Keenum looks even more checkdown happy than Bradford was.

At this point if they want to keep playing Keenum, maybe they need to just go jumbo sets and run zone stretches to Gurley and Tavon. I'm sure that would make Fish very happy.

Bruce2980

Starter
I agree that with a horizontal passing game being used as an extension of the run game, there is no point in throwing the ball, just run it. 3rd and forever, just run the dam ball. Get rid of the WRs, replace them with TEs. Replace the TEs on the Oline with Olinemen and run the dam ball, 1940s style baby, but with cooler uniforms. Get rid of the QB position and let Gurley take the direct snap to run it or hand it off to T Austin.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree that with a horizontal passing game being used as an extension of the run game, there is no point in throwing the ball, just run it. 3rd and forever, just run the dam ball. Get rid of the WRs, replace them with TEs. Replace the TEs on the Oline with Olinemen and run the dam ball, 1940s style baby, but with cooler uniforms. Get rid of the QB position and let Gurley take the direct snap to run it or hand it off to T Austin.
brilliant.gif