A long and tortured look at Eric Dickerson from SI in 1989

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I remember Eric running through the Niners defense like a hot knife sliced through butter. The way ED ran was like he's running through air without any resistance whatsover. His runs were always automatic 1st and 10.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I very much dislike making comparisons especially with Rams players.The 2 were very different, ED was beautiful like a Stallion. That last run in the video above, now that's how you get into and through the gap.
Marshall changed the way OC's use the RB due to his versatility. I remember clearly how enamored I was with Marshall.
I would listen on the radio here in L.A to the San Diego State broadcast on AM littered with static, I would walk around and wait on pins and needles for him to break one. It's like two sons that both make you glow with pride.
To think we were blessed to see them both in Horns.

Last edited:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
This article takes an almost depressing look at him.....wow....he made it rough on himself. The Rams underpaid like no team in the NFL; Brudzinski, Dickerson, Ferragamo, (Harrah and Youngblood did mini hold outs). Brudzinski left the team mid-season and never came back....hurt their 1980 playoff run.

I met him (during 1999 Colts-Titans playoff game in Colts suite)....a congenial man with huge hands. I acutally didn't care to meet him, really. I think I said "Hi, and my name"....I met Paul Tags that day too...

Dickerson is the greatest runner ever....the greatest Running back probably goes to Payton....You have to watch Payton in his 11-12th years running like almost no one could to appreciate the passion and lack of fear he had...
When Dickerson came out, within weeks he was considered better than Payton. I hated the Bears, but always knew Payton was the better football player.

All that being said, he was one of the funnest to watch ever....Nolan Cromwell knocked him out in practice before th 1984 season and he never went over the middle after that....he was unconcious apparently.
My funnest to watch: Curt Warner (Seattle), Wendell Tyler, Dickerson, Sanders, Curtis Martin...and Gurley on 3rd down and near the endzone.

THANKS FOR putting article up!

jap

Legend
The Debate will always be who's Better, ED or Marshall Faulk!

View attachment 17106 View attachment 17107
I personally, lean toward Faulk, But I LOVE them both!!:love:

Marshall himself picked ED as the better pure RB, and I fully concur. Marshall had Special K and the GSOT. ED and that incredible OL was virtually the Horns entire O. I know Eric "the Great" would greatly prefer that Todd be granted a true QB to take the pressure off of him. He has talked about how he didn't know how easy things could have been until he played in the ProBowl with the likes of Joe Montana to realize fully what a difference a true QB could make to his running game.