A little like Spags?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Spags wore thin because he came in an wanted to "change the culture" and all he did was take a bad situation and made it worse.
Well, it may be Politispeak, but that doesn't mesh with what Demoff said.

I think this team has a bright future and much of that is because of the work Coach Spagnuolo and Billy Devaney did in changing the culture and perception of this team
-- Kevin Demoff

I know what you're saying about his tyrannical reign over the minutiae around Rams Park, too. I'm not discounting any of that.
I just don't think his situation is all that applicable to Doug Marrone's.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I honestly think the truth was when Kroenke took over and saw Fisher was available, he just wanted his guy. And Demoff's statements there are basically just obfuscation.

Pretty much anyone else the Rams could have possibly gotten would have been a clear downgrade IMO.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
It was more thjan the equipment manager, it was the travel manager, the security manager, it was the alumni director and the pubnlic relations director. Spags dictated how the socks were handed out, how lamps were placed, what pictures were on the wall, and he cancelled the scouting contract with the group that had really helped Vermeil. It was also the head trainer and the assistant trainer . He also disconnected with lots of alumni.

And all those people were canned for a coach who had never been a head coach on any level. He was given too much power, it's not like rams were bringing in Bill Parcells or someone with gravitas. And Spags was disliked by many people. The building was toxic. And that changed under Fish.
Toxic? You're describing the Zygmunt regime. Now that was toxic. No one took responsibility for any of the personnel moves. That is, Zygmunt never did. All the blame was placed on the HC du jour.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I honestly think the truth was when Kroenke took over and saw Fisher was available, he just wanted his guy. And Demoff's statements there are basically just obfuscation.

Pretty much anyone else the Rams could have possibly gotten would have been a clear downgrade IMO.
Yeah. Agreed. Though, it would have been interesting if the Rams finished around .500 that year with all those injuries. Would have been a tough decision. But when Kroenke gets involved in courting a head coach, you know there is some extra motivation to get the guy.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think this team has a bright future and much of that is because of the work Coach Spagnuolo and Billy Devaney did in changing the culture and perception of this team
-- Kevin Demoff

I know what you're saying about his tyrannical reign over the minutiae around Rams Park, too. I'm not discounting any of that.

All situations are different, I was only talking about the personalites being similar.

MrMotes

Starter
I thought i read that during fan fest this year Demoff said one difference between the regimes is how they treated people, that Saffold likely would not have come back after the Oakland deal fell through because of the difference between regimes.

Spags failed because he was a loser of epic proportions, being such a bad guy and disrespectful of Rams history just made all the losing that much harder to bear...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All situations are different, I was only talking about the personalites being similar.
Oh, okay. I thought you meant the entire situation.
How tall is Marrone? Does he have little man syndrome too?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Spags failed because he was a loser of epic proportions
Nah. He failed because he lost half of the defense and 3/4 of the offense to injury, after hiring a dogmatic coordinator during a lockout.
10-38 is bad when looked at out of context. Fisher was 9-23 while having to battle through a lesser fiasco while with the Titans.

MrMotes

Starter
Nah. He failed because he lost half of the defense and 3/4 of the offense to injury, after hiring a dogmatic coordinator during a lockout.
10-38 is bad when looked at out of context. Fisher was 9-23 while having to battle through a lesser fiasco while with the Titans.

I'm not sure anyone has ever done worse than 10-38. Didn't Demoff say himself say it was all the losing that got Spags fired?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure anyone has ever done worse than 10-38. Didn't Demoff say himself say it was all the losing that got Spags fired?
Not exactly. He said a few more wins would have saved his job, but then went on to acknowledge that it was virtually impossible to do so.
Results are what matter. Context rarely does.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

-- Kevin Demoff

X you remember that one of the 3 or 4 times SK has addressed the STL media in the last decade was to apologize for the product on the field..........a little bit before SS was fired.

So we can't put a lot of stock in what Demoff is saying there, he's a political creature and isn't going to slam or disparage anyone.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
X you remember that one of the 3 or 4 times SK has addressed the STL media in the last decade was to apologize for the product on the field..........a little bit before SS was fired.
No? I remember him going in to talk to Spags after a game, but that's about it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No? I remember him going in to talk to Spags after a game, but that's about it.

I'm pretty sure he said something to the media.......which he almost never does as we know.

Anyway........why don't you just go put on your Bulger pajamas and go lay in bed while you look at your Linehan and Spagnuolo scrap book. Mmmmkay?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Spags could have been successful if there was more talent here.

But, he also clinged to Vets... perhaps to his demise.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm pretty sure he said something to the media.......which he almost never does as we know.

Anyway........why don't you just go put on your Bulger pajamas and go lay in bed while you look at your Linehan and Spagnuolo scrap book. Mmmmkay?
They're Brock Berlin PJ's. Get your facts straight.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I'm not sure anyone has ever done worse than 10-38.
The problem with such statements is that it's assuming W-L record is solely on the coach. In many cases it is not.

Such as 2009 with inheriting nothing and having a REAL rebuild to do, or 2011 with all the injuries. I don't see any coaches doing noticeably better than Spags did under such circumstances.

But at this point, everyone's made up their minds, and there's not really much point in rehashing the whole Spags argument again.

MrMotes

Starter
The problem with such statements is that it's assuming W-L record is solely on the coach. In many cases it is not.

Such as 2009 with inheriting nothing and having a REAL rebuild to do, or 2011 with all the injuries. I don't see any coaches doing noticeably better than Spags did under such circumstances.

But at this point, everyone's made up their minds, and there's not really much point in rehashing the whole Spags argument again.

I do tend to go with the Bill Parcell's notion that you are your record, and agree with Gregg Williams when he says this is a results business.

Spagnulo took over a 2 win team and left a 2 win team, disgracing us in many ways along the way. Jeff Fisher promptly trashed the great majority of the roster and Spags went on to coordinate the worst defense in the history of the NFL in New Orleans.

So personally, i'm not inclined to cut him a lot of slack...

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
For the love of God the dysfunction in the AFC east is driving me crazy! Someone please usurp the Pats.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The problem with such statements is that it's assuming W-L record is solely on the coach.

This is true.

Everyone needs to understand it's not solely on the coach, it's the coach AND the QB.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I do tend to go with the Bill Parcell's notion that you are your record, and agree with Gregg Williams when he says this is a results business.
I guess therein lies our difference. I absolutely don't, especially the first one.

I would have thought last night should have demonstrated precisely WHY you are not your record. Dallas was not the better team last night (or when we faced them). They didn't magically become so just because they won the game.