A Little Film on Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I love reading our draft reviews, can't get enough, and it appears Donald is unanimously our best pick from the "experts." Nothing new here, but how they gush over him as a player indiced me to explore a little deeper. I wanted to see how the too schools played him. I ran across Aaron Donald Vs Florida state and came away amazed. It's obvious why they're raving about this pick and absolutely stifling on how he slid to 13. (No idea whatsoever why the Giants passed on him. Really? Odell Beckham? We'll laugh all the way to the Lambardi for years on this... anyway.)

Florida State had constant double teams on him and they rarely ever neutralized him. His combibation low center gravity, quickness, and power were blatantly obvious. Then he had the speed to close the gap very quickly for a DT. People compare him to Geon Atkins, he's faster and quicker with Geno and still has the power. He's a better player, pure and simple.

I really think teams will have nightmares preparing for this group. A flaw in our DL last year was the interior pass rush. QB's were able to step up in the pocket eluding many sacks and yet we still had 53. I don't think QB's have any form of comfort zone playing against us next year. They step back and they're in the teeth of our edge rushers. They step up and Donald-- Carrigan/Brockers lay the the wood. I can see it now...

Kap glares at the OC because he's been lobbying for more screen passes for 2.5 quarters.

The OC throws his hands up in frustration and says "They were only rushing 4."

LOL!!! This is far from fantasy, fellas.

You throw in some exotic looks from Williams and you feel your mouth beginning to salvitate. Tree coming up the middle and Joyner coming off the edge, from the slot, will be pure hell for our opposition.

It's gonna be a long off season, ain't it? ;)

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Laurinaitis was pretty happy about this too. He said, "I had a big smile on my face when they called his name."
I hope this opens up the opportunity for him to have a career year too.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Laurinaitis was pretty happy about this too. He said, "I had a big smile on my face when they called his name."
I hope this opens up the opportunity for him to have a career year too.

Indeed, James should stay pretty clean in the middle with the DL putting putting a lot of pressure on offenses. We got a lot better.

I'll tell you who I feel sorry for, Teddy Bridgewater, imagine being the guinea pig for our new D line in your first NFL game, poor guy :( :sneaky:.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I recall one person saying that Donald is more like John Randle than any other player.
Someone on the NFL Network compared him to John Randle as well and after thinking about it ... yep. Look ... at worst he is going to be D'marco Farr .... and he was pretty damn good himself. The kid is mature, has a stron and big lower body and his use of hands for coming right out of college is amazing. This is truly going to be a fun group to watch.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Then he takes number 99 and IMO he took that number to look bigger! He's a throwback old school does not really like being interviewed just wants to play football! I'll take Donald Football over Johnny Football everytime!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I watched a video on BR discussing Donald. They couldn't have praised it any more...

They said a bad play for Donald is a stale mate. Even against double teams he rarely got pushed back. He's an absolute anchor. He's so strong they said he could play a "shade nose tackle" which is simply astounding for DT his size.

When you watch him, it's tough for even two OG's to really get their hands on him. He's so agile and quick coming off the snap and sheds blockers with ease. Florida state never really contained him. They either had two guys on him or simply ran away from him. Incredible...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He also seems to have all the intangibles to be a team captain and leader on this team. We already have one within the DL position group in Long, but you can never have enough of them especially given our youth.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Then he takes number 99 and IMO he took that number to look bigger! He's a throwback old school does not really like being interviewed just wants to play football! I'll take Donald Football over Johnny Football everytime!
If Sims somehow doesn't make the team, I'm betting Donald goes back to 97... the perfect number.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they hit it out of the park with their first three picks period. But yes, Donald is going to be an impact addition to that DL. There is a certain point where you can get enough talent on a DL where they start dominating games consistently. The Rams may be at that point this season.

IMO there is a very good chance of that. They were, after all, very close to that the last two seasons.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Sims somehow doesn't make the team, I'm betting Donald goes back to 97... the perfect number.

And if my aunt had a package, she'd be my uncle...Sims makes the team unless the Rams trade him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

It really is the perfect number. Rhandle and his number in college.

Didn't he have first crack at it? He was picked ahead of Sam... way ahead.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It really is the perfect number. Rhandle and his number in college.

Didn't he have first crack at it? He was picked ahead of Sam... way ahead.
I believe the Rams' policy on that is that whoever has more seniority with the team wins if more than two players want the same number. Witherspoon basically got his number back last year because of his previous seniority, even though he had just come back to the team.

You'll also remember Chris Long had #72 until Leonard Little left the team, and then Long went back to #91.