A.J. Jenkins struggles in, may not make 49ers’ rost

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/13/a-j-jenkins-struggles-in-practice-may-not-make-49ers-roster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rs-roster/</a>
A.J. Jenkins struggles in practice, may not make 49ers’ roster
Could the 49ers really cut their 2012 first-round draft pick before the 2013 regular season? That’s a question being raised in San Francisco as receiver A.J. Jenkins continues to struggle.

Jenkins, who didn’t catch a single pass as a rookie and fumbled the only pass he caught in last week’s preseason opener, was the only receiver on the roster who didn’t catch any passes in Monday’s practice, either in 7-on-7 or 11-on-11 work, according to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

Teammates and coaches are continuing to say they believe in Jenkins, and 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman said after the preseason opener, “A.J. does a lot of really good things. He’s just got to continue to work and get better day by day.”

Still, Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News raises the question of whether 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke will decide to cut his losses and release Jenkins when the 49ers have to finalize their 53-man roster. At this point, if the 49ers keep Jenkins, it’s probably just because cutting a first-round pick after one season is something that simply isn’t done in the NFL. Based purely on merit, Jenkins doesn’t belong.

Loving You Sunday Morning.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwHB81y1WpQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwHB81y1WpQ</a>

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It would seem pretty early to cut a 1st round pick. I wonder if the whiners think he's not working hard enough and will never reach his potential, otherwise I just can't see a team cutting a 1st rounder after one season and 2 training camps.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
It's hard to admit you've made a mistake and move on but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do. Where your drafted matters even less these days with the rookie pay scale. If you have a better guy you would be an idiot to keep Jenkins over him, regardless of where they were drafted.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Clearly AJ Jenkins was a huge reach by the Niners in the first round, I'm just glad the Rams didn't take this guy. It was reported that Snead was high on Jenkins, and the Rams were considering taking him in the 2nd round.

Regardless of whether the Niners cut Jenkins or not, he's not helping them this year and likely never will. And they need WR help desperately. Breaks my heart.

It really shouldn't be a big surprise that a first round WR busted. The bust rate for WRs is about the highest there is for any position. And it gets worse each round that passes. This makes what Snead did in landing Givens and Bailey in the the middle round a giant achievement.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
ScotsRam said:
It's hard to admit you've made a mistake and move on but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do. Where your drafted matters even less these days with the rookie pay scale. If you have a better guy you would be an idiot to keep Jenkins over him, regardless of where they were drafted.

Completely agree....but let the whiners freak out about their receivers and keep him lol...love it when they wallow in their own shyte :lmao:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be almost funny, if they knew the Rams were going to grab him, and went for him in the 1st round just to try and keep us in the basement in terms of upgrading our receiving corps. If he would have been a Julio Jones type, that would have hurt. But, saving us from a bust, thanks Niners! Your gift basket full of rotten fruit is on it's way.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I would love for them to cut him, we grab him and stick him on the PS, develop him and then use him to beat them.

Wont happen, but I'm always loving anyway we can send a little extra "Fuck you" to them.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
bluecoconuts said:
I would love for them to cut him, we grab him and stick him on the PS, develop him and then use him to beat them.

Wont happen, but I'm always loving anyway we can send a little extra "freak you" to them.
Def be good for the PS for an inside scoop

RustyRay

Rookie
I have a hard time thinking they would cut a first rounder a year in...and couple that with the injury issues they have at WR...Might be time to throw him on the field and let him sink or swim...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
max said:
Clearly AJ Jenkins was a huge reach by the Niners in the first round, I'm just glad the Rams didn't take this guy. It was reported that Snead was high on Jenkins, and the Rams were considering taking him in the 2nd round.

Regardless of whether the Niners cut Jenkins or not, he's not helping them this year and likely never will. And they need WR help desperately. Breaks my heart.

It really shouldn't be a big surprise that a first round WR busted. The bust rate for WRs is about the highest there is for any position. And it gets worse each round that passes. This makes what Snead did in landing Givens and Bailey in the the middle round a giant achievement.

This...

And a bag of chips!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A. J. needs to get kosar out to San Seahawks asap for some WR training.

That would be my best recommendation to the fine team there in San Seahawks.