A HUGE What-If

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

bluecoconuts said:
Who says they are? They don't even have the cap space to sniff around Josh Freeman, and it's not like he would help.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/09/30/two-teams-interested-in-tampa-bay-buccaneers-quarterback-josh-freeman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/ ... h-freeman/</a>

good point about cap space

According to sources close to the situation with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, two teams have expressed interest and have had preliminary discussions about acquiring recently benched quarterback Josh Freeman. It remains to be seen if these discussions have advanced to talk about compensation with the Buccaneers or are still in the infant stages.

The St. Louis Rams and New York Jets are the two teams we are hearing are most interested in acquiring Freeman. Rams’ quarterback Sam Bradford has struggled a great deal over the past two games. Acquiring Freeman for a likely late-round pick would run contrary to general manager Les Snead indicating that he’s open to an extension for the former No. 1 overall pick. It’s also interesting considering that Freeman’s price tag for the remainder of the season is over $6 million. St. Louis wouldn’t be bringing him in solely to light a fire under Bradford and create competition.

As it relates to the Jets, this is a tad puzzling. Mark Sanchez is making eight figures to sit on the bench and hold a clipboard. While rookie quarterback Geno Smith has struggled a great deal, Rex Ryan and Co. don’t necessarily have the cap room or roster space to bring in a quarterback to compete for a starting job midseason.

It is likely, and this is pure conjecture, that these two teams are showing interest in case Freeman ends up getting released. While that would be a rather drastic move for a Buccaneers’ team reeling from a fourth consecutive defeat to start the season, the simple fact that they made Freeman inactive for Sunday’s loss against the Arizona Cardinals could be telling.

Let’s see what the next domino is to drop.

Either way, we are hearing that Freeman’s days in Tampa Bay are clearly numbered.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't think the QB in the first round is the way to go.

If anything, they need to look for someone in the 2nd-4th round. You keep the process of building around Bradford and if it doesn't workout with him you hope that the guy you drafted in the middle rounds ends up being someone like a Kaepernick or Wilson, mid round "surprise".

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think KC is showing you don't need your QB to light it up and guys like Flacco and Eli and even Brady are showing how a QB will struggle when you take away his weapons.

Which is exactly what the scheme and poor blocking are doing to the Rams. Taking away the weapons that they did bring in. Cook and Austin are NOT being used properly so they're being taken away from Sam.

RaminExile said:
Rams and Gators said:
So it seems that most of you don't want to give up on Sam, fair enough, but at what point do you say enough is enough, does he have to play worse than he is at the moment, what if he keeps on playing like this deep into his 5 season?

I think when we see that it is his play, and his play alone that is holding us back. At the moment I recognise that he can only succeed when he is in a position to do so. I honestly don't think that this is the case at the moment. He's playing against some pretty trying circumstances and has been his whole pro career.

My problem is I see Ryan Tannehill and Jake Locker playing well above Sam's level and I'm asking the question is Sam just not on their level. It could be like you say, He's in an awful situation, or maybe he'll never be in a good situation because he's incapable of getting the most out of the talent around him, at what point do you see enough?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams and Gators said:
RaminExile said:
Rams and Gators said:
So it seems that most of you don't want to give up on Sam, fair enough, but at what point do you say enough is enough, does he have to play worse than he is at the moment, what if he keeps on playing like this deep into his 5 season?

I think when we see that it is his play, and his play alone that is holding us back. At the moment I recognise that he can only succeed when he is in a position to do so. I honestly don't think that this is the case at the moment. He's playing against some pretty trying circumstances and has been his whole pro career.

My problem is I see Ryan Tannehill and Jake Locker playing well above Sam's level and I'm asking the question is Sam just not on their level. It could be like you say, He's in an awful situation, or maybe he'll never be in a good situation because he's incapable of getting the most out of the talent around him, at what point do you see enough?
At least 4 more games. But even then ... what next?
Clemens? Yeah, no thanks.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Rams and Gators said:
RaminExile said:
Rams and Gators said:

Locker had a career game yesterday before he got hurt but nothing else he's done really puts him well above Bradford IMO.

The Dolphins are certainly playing better than the Rams and Tannehill has been very solid but he did have the benefit of a tremendous amount of continuity over Bradford. He's been running the very same offense for years now and didn't have to make any changes from his college days. That's a lot different situation than Bradford.

X said:
Rams and Gators said:
RaminExile said:
Rams and Gators said:

At least 4 more games. But even then ... what next?
Clemens? Yeah, no thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I want Sam for the rest of this season, and I want him put in a better position to succeed, I just want to see something from him which suggest he's going to be anything other than mediocre.

bluecoconuts

Legend
iced said:
bluecoconuts said:
Who says they are? They don't even have the cap space to sniff around Josh Freeman, and it's not like he would help.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/09/30/two-teams-interested-in-tampa-bay-buccaneers-quarterback-josh-freeman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/ ... h-freeman/</a>

good point about cap space

According to sources close to the situation with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, two teams have expressed interest and have had preliminary discussions about acquiring recently benched quarterback Josh Freeman. It remains to be seen if these discussions have advanced to talk about compensation with the Buccaneers or are still in the infant stages.

The St. Louis Rams and New York Jets are the two teams we are hearing are most interested in acquiring Freeman. Rams’ quarterback Sam Bradford has struggled a great deal over the past two games. Acquiring Freeman for a likely late-round pick would run contrary to general manager Les Snead indicating that he’s open to an extension for the former No. 1 overall pick. It’s also interesting considering that Freeman’s price tag for the remainder of the season is over $6 million. St. Louis wouldn’t be bringing him in solely to light a fire under Bradford and create competition.

As it relates to the Jets, this is a tad puzzling. Mark Sanchez is making eight figures to sit on the bench and hold a clipboard. While rookie quarterback Geno Smith has struggled a great deal, Rex Ryan and Co. don’t necessarily have the cap room or roster space to bring in a quarterback to compete for a starting job midseason.

It is likely, and this is pure conjecture, that these two teams are showing interest in case Freeman ends up getting released. While that would be a rather drastic move for a Buccaneers’ team reeling from a fourth consecutive defeat to start the season, the simple fact that they made Freeman inactive for Sunday’s loss against the Arizona Cardinals could be telling.

Let’s see what the next domino is to drop.

Either way, we are hearing that Freeman’s days in Tampa Bay are clearly numbered.

I saw that, but I didn't really take much stock in it, as it doesn't make any sense.

Not only does it not make sense for either team, nobody wants to pay that much money for a backup, and both teams have their starting QB at least in their eyes. Also without anyone else saying this (as far as I've seen) especially no insiders from the Rams commenting, it sounds like it's just crap. Could even be Freeman's agent trying to garner interest.

I just don't see it. Why would we downgrade (shed salary) so we can downgrade (at QB) so we can grab a rookie QB who will be another downgrade based on experience alone, and still not have him have a running game?

Not logical.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It feels wrong to speculate on this topic right now.

I mean... Sam has work to do... but in 2013 he's been solid outside of the SF game. I'm not over reacting based on that.

Let's get the season under our belt and assess.

Me; I'd sure like to see him run up-tempo. It feels like the right fit for his skills.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
It feels wrong to speculate on this topic right now.

I mean... Sam has work to do... but in 2013 he's been solid outside of the SF game. I'm not over reacting based on that.

Let's get the season under our belt and assess.

Me; I'd sure like to see him run up-tempo. It feels like the right fit for his skills.
...and that is the key. Most teams play to the strengths of their rosters and right now we're just not doing that. Sam has shown time and time again that he excels in the no huddle and from the shotgun. He has some success under center when we run play action, but no where near as well as out of "spread" formations.
We have to get rid of the empty backfield look as well. Schotty loves the look and it should create mismatches but it is not working.
Hopefully we put Sam in the best position for him to succeed with his skillset - Fisher did it once for VY, I imagine eventually we'll get there for SB.

SubZero405

UDFA
I watch a ton of college football. The thing about Teddy Bridgewater is that he puts all those stats up against very weak and inferior competition. This year Louisville will not play a single Top 25 team and that includes conference play. It's almost as bad as watching an SEC team schedule a D-2 school and destroying them.

When you have no run game and a Line that is now allowing all of these sacks/hits/hurries, no QB will be successful.

Jeff Fisher needs to realize he doesn't have a power RB anymore and he doesn't have a team built to run the ball a ton. If he'd just run the no huddle spread, they'd put points up. He mentions that that will put a lot of strain on the defense, but this year's defense isn't stopping anybody w/ scoring hardly any points. His argument against it is total crap.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
moklerman said:
I hear this guy's name a lot but I don't follow college ball. Is he a pocket passer or a runner? If he's a pocket passer, what has he done in college that Bradford didn't do in college?

I started watching him a little last year after I started to hear the hype. He impressed me enough to make me watch this year. The dude's ceiling is Aaron Rogers. He moves around in the pocket like a 5 year NFL vet. He is pin point accurate a majority of the time. He does dip his shoulder and sails some passes but that can be coached out of his system. He has the tools to be a scrambler but is a pocket passer. He goes through his reads efficiently and already looks off safeties. IMO he is more pro ready coming out than Sam, Cam, or RGKnee.

This is all just my opinion after watching about six or seven games.

If the Rams were to move on from Sam than they should take Bridgewater (if available) and also grab Mike Evans. He is Vincent Jackson 2.0.

I think this draft will be heavy on offense. If its not than Fisher and Snead are morons.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HitStick said:
moklerman said:
I hear this guy's name a lot but I don't follow college ball. Is he a pocket passer or a runner? If he's a pocket passer, what has he done in college that Bradford didn't do in college?

I started watching him a little last year after I started to hear the hype. He impressed me enough to make me watch this year. The dude's ceiling is Aaron Rogers. He moves around in the pocket like a 5 year NFL vet. He is pin point accurate a majority of the time. He does dip his shoulder and sails some passes but that can be coached out of his system. He has the tools to be a scrambler but is a pocket passer. He goes through his reads efficiently and already looks off safeties. IMO he is more pro ready coming out than Sam, Cam, or RGKnee.

If the Rams were to move on from Sam than they should take Bridgewater (if available) and also grab Mike Evans. He is Vincent Jackson 2.0.

I think this draft will be heavy on offense. If its not than Fisher and Snead are morons.

Mike Evans is not close to Vincent Jackson. Jackson was/is fast especially for his size. Evans is sloooooooow. He's more like a bigger Anquan Boldin. And that's definitely not a bad thing but he doesn't have near Vincent's speed. He's just not a fast or sudden player.

As far as Bridgewater, he'll likely go #1.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
jrry32 said:
HitStick said:
moklerman said:

Mike Evans is not close to Vincent Jackson. Jackson was/is fast especially for his size. Evans is sloooooooow. He's more like a bigger Anquan Boldin. And that's definitely not a bad thing but he doesn't have near Vincent's speed. He's just not a fast or sudden player.

As far as Bridgewater, he'll likely go #1.

The way the Rams are playing, they may be picking #1

He's not as fast as VJax but few people are. He gains seperation consistantly and is used in the same way that VJax is used in the NFL. Did you see him against Bama? He is much faster and used way different than Boldin has ever been used. His game mimics Jacksons way more.

SubZero405

UDFA
Bridgewater has faced one ranked team in 2 years. Of course any good college QB is going to tear up that kind of schedule and look like an all-pro. I think he has bust written all over him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
iced said:
moklerman said:

Pocket Passer, strong arm, good vision, very good accuracy.

Athletic enough to scramble, but not an Rg3

More like a Geno Smith, right?

NO TO BRIDGEWATER! Forger that..

moklerman

Warner-phile
Tannehill didn't look too good against a 4 man rush that was getting pressure and he had a helluva lot better running game supporting him than Bradford has had. But you give these young QB's WR's that can't catch or that don't fight for the ball and this is what happens. Tannehill wasn't as bad as his numbers but his receivers failed him.

Hey, at least that's a silver lining from tonight's game. The Rams could have been the one's to go out and waaaaaay overpay for Mike Wallace. Bullet dodged IMO.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
No thanks on Bridgewater, he's exactly everything people knock Bradford for, inconsistency, bad reads, and disappearing against teams not that great. He's already been cowed by the less than stellar Kentucky teams twice.

Not saying he's a bust, but right now we don't have the team to facilitate his growth if Bradford can't grow here.

However, Lord have mercy on the team that takes Manziel.