A Gaggle of WRs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

donsods

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the problem! Not too long ago, we had a big problem here! If they go with 6, my guess is that Thomas is the odd man out.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Create a huge hole in order to move up in the draft and get somebody who might fill that hole? I don't see that as a good move for a team that has gambled to assemble a championship caliber team.

Ordinarily, I would agree with this type of logic, but there is no way the Rams re-sign all 3 OL FAs next year. If this offense is putting up 30 points again next year, these guys will be coveted.

I think Havs would be the most attractive, and I would think Brown would be the easiest to part with; therefore, I would try to get something now instead of losing him through FA.

Yes, I get the comp pick concept, but packaging him to move back into the 2nd...?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cooks, Woods, Kupp and Cooper are locks for the 53. Reynolds would seem to have an inside track being a McVay draftee and all. That makes 5 and if they draft one, its a tough road for Austin and Thomas IMO

The Rams drafting a WR ??? That will break into the lineup ??

Mike Thomas is going into his 3rd year. Same Copper . Austin was hurt during training camp

I’ll go back To The Big 5 !! The Rams need a swing OT bar none. This way they can keep extra WR’s last season. The Rams rolled the dice in depth , because Darell Williams was not a good LT . Who knows if he will be brought back ? Still young , but I don’t see
TAVON AUSTIN going anywhere !!

Sean McVay would lose total face if Tavon is no on the roster , unless he flat out sucks !! Which I do not see happening at all !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What I like about our WR group is the depth of options for the QB.

I have always liked Cooks, but that said he's not as good obviously as your elite wideouts at making contested catches and dealing with elite physical press corners. But that aside he's a really nice fit for this offense, because he runs precise routes in spite of his size and isn't going to be the only option out there. Which means double the dude at your own risk.

This offense might still struggle a bit come the playoffs again. But I think they are actually better off with this group in terms of "fits" than they were with last year's group. Cooks will get a full camp too, which cannot be overemphasized irt the how and why Watkins struggled. IMO whether they take the next step in the playoffs is a combination of Goff's evolution, OL health, and whether Everett can emerge as another matchup problem in the passing game.

It’s a long ways from the playoffs. It’s what you do during the season.

Injuries will always play a roll . This offense will only get better , unless of course injuries.

The playoff game goes to lack of possession & play calling. There were some key plays that McVay should have got Todd Gurley going. Turnovers killed the game plan as well.
Then the Brockers injury was the Killer right after he got a sack .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams drafting a WR ??? That will break into the lineup ??

Mike Thomas is going into his 3rd year. Same Copper . Austin was hurt during training camp

I’ll go back To The Big 5 !! The Rams need a swing OT bar none. This way they can keep extra WR’s last season. The Rams rolled the dice in depth , because Darell Williams was not a good LT . Who knows if he will be brought back ? Still young , but I don’t see
TAVON AUSTIN going anywhere !!

Sean McVay would lose total face if Tavon is no on the roster , unless he flat out sucks !! Which I do not see happening at all !!
Sean Mcvay will lose face? Come again? He didn’t draft Tavon.
Yup I think they’ll draft a wr late, a guy who’s a project. A deep depth guy. One who won’t cost anything close to Austin.
With his low cost I’m hoping somebody offers something, anything for him prior to the draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sean Mcvay will lose face? Come again? He didn’t draft Tavon.
Yup I think they’ll draft a wr late, a guy who’s a project. A deep depth guy. One who won’t cost anything close to Austin.
With his low cost I’m hoping somebody offers something, anything for him prior to the draft.

TOTAL difference of opinion THAT TAVON will not be a RAM !!

McVay says it’s all about family!! TAVON has been longer than SEAN McVAY !!

Snead drafted & Demoff resigned him.

The Rams family worked a deal out for TAVON to stay !!

To say The Rams would F” w/ TAVON is delusional !! Austin is a class AAA+++ player !!

Btw — I was one of the first ones to say he needs to go HATED the trade up !!!!! Was not a fan of resigning him a year early for top 10 WR money !! Real dumb move , plus he has never even had a 900 yard .So I’m not say he is a excellent player.

I do think Tavon works hard & will get better & McVay really is a Tavon Austin fan. They have a cool bond & are a big part of The Rams Culture and family

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TOTAL difference of opinion THAT TAVON will not be a RAM !!

McVay says it’s all about family!! TAVON has been longer than SEAN McVAY !!

Snead drafted & Demoff resigned him.

The Rams family worked a deal out for TAVON to stay !!

To say The Rams would F” w/ TAVON is delusional !! Austin is a class AAA+++ player !!

Btw — I was one of the first ones to say he needs to go HATED the trade up !!!!! Was not a fan of resigning him a year early for top 10 WR money !! Real dumb move , plus he has never even had a 900 yard .So I’m not say he is a excellent player.

I do think Tavon works hard & will get better & McVay really is a Tavon Austin fan. They have a cool bond & are a big part of The Rams Culture and family
Good logic.
Quinn, Ogletree and Tru all give you a thumbs up on the family theory. McVay’s family are his guys. Who cares about prior to his arrival??
At best he works his way in to the #5 spot behind Cooks, Woods, Kupp and Cooper, (which I doubt because of Reynolds). Way too much $$ for that and his re-sign price would really not make sense.
Need to develop inexpensive back end guys at 5-7, not expensive “never was” guys

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good logic.
Quinn, Ogletree and Tru all give you a thumbs up on the family theory. McVay’s family are his guys. Who cares about prior to his arrival??
At best he works his way in to the #5 spot behind Cooks, Woods, Kupp and Cooper, (which I doubt because of Reynolds). Way too much $$ for that and his re-sign price would really not make sense.
Need to develop inexpensive back end guys at 5-7, not expensive “never was” guys

Tavon is gong to be a rotational guy he brings so much to the offense as far as a threat !!
It’s hard for defenses to prepare for on the more versatility is !!!!

As I say The Rams got draft picks for QUINN & TREE !!! McVay has talked about them as a part of The Ram family !!

ANYWAY !! I Know the Vibe & understand what’s happening.

Of course competition is good and player has to be able to play up to standard .

I get you are not a Tavon fan !! As far as Tru ?? He left for Big money !! Comp pick !!

Who cares about Tavon before McVay ?? Tavon restructured to stay a Ram. He was the one that gave back !! You don’t DISRESPECT a player like that when trying to build a GREAT foundation!!

I know it’s the TRUMP era , but The Rams Organization has class .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good logic.

The Rams are building these players one day at a time .

Mike Thomas could have been cut , but he is still with the squad ??

Reynolds is a FREAKING steal in 2017 draft !!
He will get (should) get a full year in camp

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are building these players one day at a time .

Mike Thomas could have been cut , but he is still with the squad ??

Reynolds is a FREAKING steal in 2017 draft !!
He will get (should) get a full year in camp
I’m having trouble following your logic. Are they family or not? Guys who stay are family guys who don’t aren’t? If traded they are family but cut or leave via FA they aren’t? Trying to converse with you here but honestly can’t figure out what the heck you are saying.
McVay said he’ll evaluate him as a wr. Not on his rb skills which imo was his real value. As a wr, he’s #7 on the depth chart. Financially it makes no sense.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless he sucks in camp - is clearly the odd man out - yes, it would hurt the Rams' reputation to cut Tavon. Tavon could have taken the $5 million he was guaranteed, got cut, and then signed a contract with another team and earned another million or two. Instead, he renegotiated his contract so that he only gets the $5 million unless he plays well enough to get the incentives. That was a nice gift to the Rams, and implicit in it is that the Rams will give him a good faith opportunity to make the team with playing time. If they screw him over, then it will be used as an example by every agent for years about why players should never trust the Rams.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
As far as the RZ talk goes yes I agree Reynolds needs to emerge as the WR target. I think that the RZ will become TE territory as well ala NE and Gronk. Everett may become our #1 Go To in the RZ

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Mike Thomas....
after Woods, Kupp, and maybe Cooks....don't know until we know...didn't like the way he was knocked out in the SB....hey, that's just me...fake it...wave a guy off...do something....but make sure you STAY N THA GAME!
BUT

I like Cooks....just liked Watkins better...not sure about Odell...too emotional for my tastes...and I like emotions....except that crying on the sideline one.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Unless he sucks in camp - is clearly the odd man out - yes, it would hurt the Rams' reputation to cut Tavon. Tavon could have taken the $5 million he was guaranteed, got cut, and then signed a contract with another team and earned another million or two. Instead, he renegotiated his contract so that he only gets the $5 million unless he plays well enough to get the incentives. That was a nice gift to the Rams, and implicit in it is that the Rams will give him a good faith opportunity to make the team with playing time. If they screw him over, then it will be used as an example by every agent for years about why players should never trust the Rams.

The Rams have been rather ruthless in trading Quinn and Ogletree and cutting Webster when he was injured. They really had no choice if they wanted to reshape the D, add Suh, then add Cooks. They got some blowback from Quinn and Webster that I'm sure they would prefer to avoid. It does undermine the notion that management is looking out for players. They are... but only to the extent they can play, fit in, and are needed, and only within the context of Snead and McVay's overall view of the roster.

Notwithstanding all that, they will keep Tavon because they couldn't save money by cutting him and because there's a chance he could really help the offense and return game (if needed).