A few thoughts on our TruJo situation...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Which teams would really want to pay him 17 million next season ? Would be great to trade him , free up cap space and pick a young corner in the draft to start across from Webster . However I don't think it happens this year .

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Which teams would really want to pay him 17 million next season ? Would be great to trade him , free up cap space and pick a young corner in the draft to start across from Webster . However I don't think it happens this year .

Well, ... that's kinda off. No new team would be paying his franchise CAP cost as we will. Any new team would want a renegotiated long-term contract prior to the acceptance of such a trade. If Tru doesn't like any of his offers from other teams, he'll remain a Ram for another year, ... if he accepts new terms and the team is willing to settle the trade for a reasonable draft pick(s) and/or another player, then he'll be gone. jmo.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil

Well, Dallas is a team that comes to mind. Once they release Romo, will have the cap space to trade for Tru. Pick 28 would be very interesting for Tru, maybe the rams adding a 5th rounder, Dallas giving up a 4th rounder in 2018. Dallas is a win now team, lost both of there starting CB's this offseason, has super bowl aspirations.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love the idea of trading TruJ for picks and cap space from a Rams perspective.

The issue is that less than half the teams in the NFL could afford that cap hit. On top of that, the only teams who would even consider this trade would have to be contending teams in need of a CB. It wouldn't make much sense for a rebuilding team to trade away draft picks in a CB loaded draft to try to negotiate a long-term deal with TJ. That basically narrows the potential trade partners down to the Titans, Raiders, and Colts, realistically. I see the most likely scenario as him staying on board for 2017.

This is where my head is at.

I'll be surprised if he's traded. Just seems like too few trading partners, as you've outlined.

I suppose a team like Cleveland or Jacksonville could get involved simply because they have cap room to use or be penalized... but the trade scenarios feel lean to me.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I fully expect them to take a cornerback with our first pick in this year's draft.

It is a need and it is also a great year for cornerbacks.

I also expect we will end up keeping Trumaine Johnson this year.

Having the big man man one corner while Webster mans the other.

Gaines and the rookie as the backups and dime guys.

Then they let Trumaine go next year with the rookie taking his spot.

JMO

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I've tried to stay out of the light this offseason, just to see the what, the where and the why. I really thought they would let Tru walk. He's a specialty CB. He can handle the bigger WRs. But the smaller ones give him fits. I don't know if he fits Phillips D. And if they knew beforehand we would have signed the free agents we did......would not have submitted an offer to him. Talib and Harris are both press type CBs. Tru plays off more (he did in Williams/ Fisher Defense). I think our front office was simply hedging their bets by tagging him. That is why he signed it so quickly. They (his agent and him) knew it would probably be rescinded if we signed who we had targeted. I think he'll get traded on draft day to someone for a middle round pick. We'll take a bit of a hit but he'll (and a portion of his tag.......yeah...we'll have to eat some of it to get a deal to happen....) move on to somewhere else.....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've tried to stay out of the light this offseason, just to see the what, the where and the why. I really thought they would let Tru walk. He's a specialty CB. He can handle the bigger WRs. But the smaller ones give him fits. I don't know if he fits Phillips D. And if they knew beforehand we would have signed the free agents we did......would not have submitted an offer to him. Talib and Harris are both press type CBs. Tru plays off more (he did in Williams/ Fisher Defense). I think our front office was simply hedging their bets by tagging him. That is why he signed it so quickly. They (his agent and him) knew it would probably be rescinded if we signed who we had targeted. I think he'll get traded on draft day to someone for a middle round pick. We'll take a bit of a hit but he'll (and a portion of his tag.......yeah...we'll have to eat some of it to get a deal to happen....) move on to somewhere else.....

Tru could go beyond the draft and become trade bait for a play-off team that loses a CB to injury sometime during the season. Pretty sure the trade deadline runs up to the beginning of November. It could be a 2018 draft pick(s) we end up acquiring, ... if any. He better stay healthy AND play well if he expects to get paid what he thinks he's worth for that next contract. jmo.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I fully expect them to take a cornerback with our first pick in this year's draft.

It is a need and it is also a great year for cornerbacks.

I also expect we will end up keeping Trumaine Johnson this year.

Having the big man man one corner while Webster mans the other.

Gaines and the rookie as the backups and dime guys.

Then they let Trumaine go next year with the rookie taking his spot.

JMO

Why would you draft a CB with a high pick if this is the year there's a DEEP pool of star potential candidates?

When drafting, it's best to analyze the scarcity per position, aswell as talent tiers... If this year is the year for great cornerbacks (plenty of them), why not use your higher pick on a player of need, where the Tier 1 talent is much more limited?

I can see your point, but I would draft a Receiver or TE with our first pick since there's less WR/TE's with star potential this year and then circle back with a CB in the 3rd.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru could go beyond the draft and become trade bait for a play-off team that loses a CB to injury sometime during the season. Pretty sure the trade deadline runs up to the beginning of November. It could be a 2018 draft pick(s) we end up acquiring, ... if any. He better stay healthy AND play well if he expects to get paid what he thinks he's worth for that next contract. jmo.
It's a good thought although iirc when the Alshon trade talks were going on, a team that trades for him can't sign him long term?
But yeah unless Rams are a playoff team, trading him before the deadline would be a bonus.