A few thoughts on our TruJo situation...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HellRam

Starter
Or ... Snead believes he can get more in trade for Tru than the value of a future comp pick. Teams haven't taken a flyer on Tru because he wasn't the outstanding player TJ & his agent value him at. Are you forgetting that trading Tru also pretty much requires any new team to renegotiate a long term contract ? It's not a big loss if TruJo plays for us this season, we'll definitely use him, obviously. I just happen to believe a clean cut would be beneficial to all parties involved, let him get on with his career, let McVay/Phillips get on with the makeover of their new team. jmo.

All we're doing at this point is repeating ourself's, so I'll conclude here.

1. I think Tru holds more value to this team keeping him as opposed to trading him. This is where we agree to disagree. I also said I'm fine with trading Tru for a fair price, I'm not going to go over that again. I mentioned such in multiple post.

2. I think your arguemnt contradicts it's self to a degree. You state the Rams tagged Tru to trade him then follow that up by saying he's not worth what he thinks he is. So why would Tru agree to a pay cut? He can get paid big this year and next year if he performs. It appears you're the one who forgot about the concept of contract negotiations. Not I.

3. And finally... say the Rams did tag Tru to only trade him, because they dont want him. Well isn't that a big risk? Using 16 mill on a player who you don't want. Wouldn't the smart thing be to move on from Tru without the risk of having a player on your roster you dont want. Because as you said Tru isnt the player he thinks he is, so why would their be a guaranteed trade?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru will cost what... 29 million for two years now? Remember when we said Jenkins was overpaid? I think Jenks got 37 million guaranteed over 4 or 5 years. That sounds like a bargain compared to this. And Jenks might be a better corner! Still having fish nightmares. Ugh.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
All we're doing at this point is repeating ourself's, so I'll conclude here.

1. This is where we agree to disagree.

2. I think your arguemnt contradicts it's self to a degree. You state the Rams tagged Tru to trade him then follow that up by saying he's not worth what he thinks he is. So why would Tru agree to a pay cut? He can get paid big this year and next year if he performs. It appears you're the one who forgot about the concept of contract negotiations. Not I.

3. And finally... say the Rams did tag Tru to only trade him, because they dont want him. Well isn't that a big risk? Using 16 mill on a player who you don't want. Wouldn't the smart thing be to move on from Tru without the risk of having a player on your roster you dont want. Because as you said Tru isnt the player he thinks he is, so why would their be a guaranteed trade?

1) Ahh, ... agreement.

2) No, i'm not saying that is what the Rams did, because no one other than Tru, his agent & the front office really has a clue. It's merely speculation, although athletes overvalue themselves all the time, this is nothing new. The fact that TruJo has such leverage is being well-played by his agent, it's just the point that he doesn't have to agree to anything to hold onto the $16+ mil. Of course, if he should suffer a career ending injury, or even an injury which harms him in the eyes of a future suitor, his gamble for waiting on a long-term contract could easily backfire. As for the Rams, they haven't been able to secure a long-term commitment because they believe Tru has overvalued his services, he no longer fits scheme, or perhaps a bit of both. The Rams were right to Franchise Tru not only to try and retrieve trade value, but should that fail, letting him go to free agency in 2018 is likely to produce a greater dividend with the comp pick than in 2017 because of the many free agents the Rams have acquired this year. In other words, a 2017 comp pick for Tru may only garner a 5'th or 6'th rounder, where 2018, if we don't sign a bunch of new free agents, maybe we can get a 3'rd out of him if he has a fairly successful season. If Tru has another season like 2016, his next club is not going to be offering top 10 or 15 money, but sure, he can laugh all the way to the bank this season.

3) Because the Rams & Tru can't come to an agreement over a long-term contract doesn't mean he has zero value, the Rams will just be stuck with an expensive contract for a year while hoping he plays better than during the past season, something they both should want.
No one said there is a guaranteed trade, only the hope for us to get out from underneath a bad CAP situation, it still requires another team and TruJo to reach a salary agreement before he can logically be moved.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And again....if you let all the players you develop walk. Where is your fondation? Our foundation is Donald, Gurley, Goff, Tru, Brockers, Tree and so on.

The reason the Rams were fine with tagging Tru is worst case scenario they got a player in a contract year who can help them win now. Not next year or 3 years down the road. And if they dont want to retain him they got all that cap next year. Draft picks are fun and all, but they sure as hell don't guarantee good players. Thats why Johnson is on this team right now. And if they get a trade they like, it's a win win.
That's why you sign them long term and not franchise them 2x when they aren't even a top 10 player at their position

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru will cost what... 29 million for two years now? Remember when we said Jenkins was overpaid? I think Jenks got 37 million guaranteed over 4 or 5 years. That sounds like a bargain compared to this. And Jenks might be a better corner! Still having fish nightmares. Ugh.
Tru gets 31.5 guaranteed while JJ gets 28 mill guaranteed

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams thought Tru wasn't a fit, they wouldn't tag him, especially considering the price. Obviously their was never a for sure trade lined up. Otherwise he would have been traded by now.

The rest IMO is hypothetical.
False logic, they don't know if he's a fit. That's a fact

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, its what they are saying. Its speculation to call it coach speak or to say its not what they mean
LOL so you now believe every word that comes out of the mouth of one of the two guys that told us fans they weren't trading Bradford :D Football managers and GM's have a long history of saying one thing and meaning another this time if year. To take anything coming from them at face value is a huge leap of faith. Enjoy it while you're jumping :D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL so you now believe every word that comes out of the mouth of one of the two guys that told us fans they weren't trading Bradford :D Football managers and GM's have a long history of saying one thing and meaning another this time if year. To take anything coming from them at face value is a huge leap of faith. Enjoy it while you're jumping :D
McVay and Phillps traded Bradford? I don't know what you're smoking but instead of living in your own world, you might want to get with the times bro

HellRam

Starter
False logic, they don't know if he's a fit. That's a fact

Ohhh boy lol

I'll make this simple. They also dont know if he's a perfect match either. We can also state that as a fact as well. However they must like something about Tru for them to be willing to risk a franchise tag on him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ohhh boy lol

I'll make this simple. They also dont know if he's a perfect match either. We can also state that as a fact as well. However they must like something about Tru for them to be willing to risk a franchise tag on him.
Oh boy is right. Who's saying that they don't like him?

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
My gut feel of this is they are working on a Draft Day trade. Gives Tru and his agent time to work out a long term deal with the potential partners. I could see him going to Cleveland for a 3rd and 4th rounder this year or maybe a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year type deal. I think they are working the phones though. This draft doesn't seem heavy on elite talent, but rounds 2-4 seem stocked with some nice prospects that could really play in a year or two. I would like some more mid round picks to rework this roster in McSnead's image.

HellRam

Starter
Oh boy is right. Who's saying that they don't like him?

Well... you just said it was false logic that the Rams would tag Tru because of fit. So which is it?

They like how he fits the team or they don't? You can't have it both ways. I should probably stop here. Not to offend anyone but the logic in this deabte just isn't adding up anymore.

Ram65

Legend
If there is so much Corner Back talent in this draft why would teams overpay TruJo and give up a draft pick?

I think the Rams have backed themselves into a corner and will have to keep TruJo and the 16.7M 2017 cost. Again maybe he has more value during the season to a team that in in the hunt and suffered injury or multiply injuries. He can still be an asset during the transition year as he will be showcasing himself for a big contract in 2018.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay and Phillps traded Bradford? I don't know what you're smoking but instead of living in your own world, you might want to get with the times bro
LOL It was Les Snead that said they had to figure out if TruJo was a fit for Wades scheme. It seems you were the one smoking stuff. Here I'll even provide the video for you.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Insider-Combine-Recap-Day-1/1f7f8edf-f186-477f-8645-7d1305c67ce6

The very first thing Myles does is to recount Snead's comments on TruJo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your logic is sound. But I have a different take.

IMO the Rams are going all in as much as possible for this up and coming season. I think the front office is tired of building for a future that never arrives, just like us fan's are. Thus the veteran signings, Barwin on a 1 year deal is a example of this.

What keeping Tru does is gives the Rams time to fill other holes on the roster. We still got needs at WR, TE, OLine, maybe safety and depth on the DLine and LBs.

The cap hit at this point in time really isn't all that big of a deal. Who is there to sign that really upgrades the team? Plus he's off the books next season. However I do believe it's possible the Rams would trade Tru for a 2nd rounder. This would atleast give them a legit chance to replace Tru going foward.

But as of now keeping Tru helps this team win this season. And trying to win now is something this front office has not practiced much during the Fisher tenure. Personally I like this idea, but that's just me.

Further, they're bringing in solid to great free agents in. Not the crap Devaney and spags bought in for the 2011 season. Can't wait to see how this team goes this season.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze

If i remember correctly...Jenks was coming off a SOLID season but still had some growing pains...TruJo was coming off that year where had a fuck load of interceptions...Jenks then went on to NYG (under Spags go figure) and developed into a a STUD corner. TruJo on the other went on to have a solid but very unspectular season. Knowing what we know now, id rather have Jenks but I can remember at the time, wasnt as easy of a decision to make.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I love the idea of trading TruJ for picks and cap space from a Rams perspective.

The issue is that less than half the teams in the NFL could afford that cap hit. On top of that, the only teams who would even consider this trade would have to be contending teams in need of a CB. It wouldn't make much sense for a rebuilding team to trade away draft picks in a CB loaded draft to try to negotiate a long-term deal with TJ. That basically narrows the potential trade partners down to the Titans, Raiders, and Colts, realistically. I see the most likely scenario as him staying on board for 2017.