A few thoughts on Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
-First off amazing game from Gurley when the line was able to give him a little space.

- Second, I love his patience in finding the opening and making that one cut move through the hole. reminds me a bit of S.Jax in a way when he was young. but definitely AP style mostly

- His vision in finding the hole and then finding space and breaking tackles in the open field.

- His MATURITY. so football smart. could've had a huge day and put a dagger to AZ on his last couple runs but he didn't give a shit about his first touchdown as a rookie. He wanted to win the game way more. thats the type of player you want leading your team.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
-First off amazing game from Gurley when the line was able to give him a little space.

- Second, I love his patience in finding the opening and making that one cut move through the hole. reminds me a bit of S.Jax in a way when he was young. but definitely AP style mostly

- His vision in finding the hole and then finding space and breaking tackles in the open field.

- His MATURITY. so football smart. could've had a huge day and put a dagger to AZ on his last couple runs but he didn't give a crap about his first touchdown as a rookie. He wanted to win the game way more. thats the type of player you want leading your team.

I was a little worried when he did little in the 1st half, but he and the Oline really put it together in the 2nd..if he can start a little quicker against a pretty good Packer run D, he could make it pretty tough on them...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love his patience in finding the opening and making that one cut move through the hole.

If we're using zone blocking, this is key. Wait for the hole, shoot thru it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I was a little worried when he did little in the 1st half, but he and the Oline really put it together in the 2nd..if he can start a little quicker against a pretty good Packer run D, he could make it pretty tough on them...

I think we may be seeing a lot of that this year. Seemingly slow starts while the offense wears the defense down. That Cardinal D was tired in the 4th Q.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I like how he acted like he'd been there before. Like he expects to make first downs, they're not cause for premeditated celebration.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

- His MATURITY. so football smart. could've had a huge day and put a dagger to AZ on his last couple runs but he didn't give a crap about his first touchdown as a rookie. He wanted to win the game way more. thats the type of player you want leading your team.
You never get a second chance at a first impression and he made a legendary move which may have changed the heart of the entire team. Who else would have done this? I think this team is now tighter and move self sacrificing which it hasn't been since Kurt & Marshall were running the locker room. Would Cam Newton EVER miss a chance to dance around like an idiot and show the imaginary "Superman" costume under his jersey?

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Also, one of the more underrated aspects of his game is that he gets harder to tackle as the game wears on. They alluded to it on NFL Network on Sunday night, but once he gets to that second level, DB's have to make a "business decision". He's just a load to bring down, but he will also use that nanosecond delay where the DB is thinking "should I do this?" to just run right by them. He's a violent runner but not unnecessarily violent, meaning he's not looking for meaningless contact just to be physical. He will run right around you if your angle is not perfect.

jap

Legend
I like how he acted like he'd been there before. Like he expects to make first downs, they're not cause for premeditated celebration.

The great ones tend to act that way because they have done it before at every single level beforehand and expect to do at the pro level too. It's like his last run against the Cards when he lay down at the eight-yards line. Yes, it was a smart play, but I think people oversold the idea of him suppressing tremendous temptation in giving up what could eventually have been his first NFL TD. TGII knows! he going to score a ton! of TDs---so it just wasn't as tempting as it would have been for a lesser back.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He wanted to win the game way more. thats the type of player you want leading your team.
Super impressive.....Leadership...what some of our knuckleheads need...Dudes not looking in the backfield looking for picks...doing there jobs...dudes not just throwing the shoulder (although I like that too, man we got some hitters) but wrapping up....Dudes battling just a lil harder for 50/50 balls.....dudes blocking....Gurley brings a real package besides physical skills...I always thought he was the best runner in college...If he shreds the Pack, ready to call him among the best in the NFL

F. Mulder

Starter
A couple things on Gurley besides the positives he has that has already been posted here:
1) He is a complete back- He blocks, is an above average receiver who, as he is as a RB, is able to take a simple dump off or check down and make it a big play.
2) The good/great RBs get 4 yards on plays that seem to be hemmed in. It always drove me nuts when RBs did that against the Rams. I simple play the Rams made the tackle on and its 2nd and 6; where our RBs it was 2nd and 8. He has a way about him that "casually" gets that extra yard or two you don't notice.
3) He is still missing his explosiveness but it will come-I don't know when. Austin was hemmed in on a play vs. Arizona and broke on arm tackle and ran away from the rest. Gurley is like that, he is patient and finds the seem but if there is a missed tackle or WR block he has the extra gear to go all the way.
4) He is a willing and good blocker. In the cases where he needs to pick up the blitz or stay in he isn't shy about squaring up and doing his job.

I feel a little bit about him like I did Bradford where every time he is tackled I don't want to see him get up limping..BUT if he can get through the year with the "normal" bumps and bruises I will put that fear to rest.

It is vital for a somewhat pedestrian offense to ensure that guys like Gurley and Austin have their chances by getting the ball. IF a defense stops them then so be it, I'd rather lose getting my playmakers the ball and the chance then them being non-factors. Besides, that doesn't preclude others from stepping in and making some big or key plays (Britt, Sted, Cook, Mason, Kendricks, Benny)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the key for Gurley in this game is Cigs helping him out with the scheme. The adjustments Cigs made that helped the run game take off will all be accounted for by Dom Capers. Capers is one of the best in the biz, so it is going to be interesting to see if Cigs can attack the weakness of that GB defense and not be on the receiving end in the scheme matchup.

One thing I do love about Cigs is he adjusts quite well. This game should be a big challenge for him IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If we're using zone blocking, this is key. Wait for the hole, shoot thru it.

One thing I noticed is how he "get's skinny" when going through a hole. He only needs a sliver and a moment to get through it. I'm very impressed with what he did Sunday. Yeah he had some holes and some big runs but even when he just had a seam flash open he got through it so fast.

@12intheBox good point about wearing teams down.......the O is BIG, there are a lot of large guys on the OL, we have some big guys at TE and WR and a big RB. Hell even the QB is big. That will wear on a defense and I want to say this..........

We are running the fewest plays in the league and beating up on defenses a bit.......wait until they are sustaining drives.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the key for Gurley in this game is Cigs helping him out with the scheme. The adjustments Cigs made that helped the run game take off will all be accounted for by Dom Capers. Capers is one of the best in the biz, so it is going to be interesting to see if Cigs can attack the weakness of that GB defense and not be on the receiving end in the scheme matchup.

One thing I do love about Cigs is he adjusts quite well. This game should be a big challenge for him IMO.

It's all about matchups and execution right..........so these two will be playing chess and the "pieces" have to fill the roles they are assigned. If the OL can give TG space and the DL can get pressure on Rodgers they have a chance.

If not it'll be less than fun.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
It's all about matchups and execution right..........so these two will be playing chess and the "pieces" have to fill the roles they are assigned. If the OL can give TG space and the DL can get pressure on Rodgers they have a chance.

If not it'll be less than fun.

You mean you are actually saying we have a chance? I take the chess reference as we have seen on the Fly adjustments by both our coordinators , and getting better at it lately. If I see a Les post I always click on it. Les and Max both to be honest. I just want to be sure you know the SHOCKER could actually take place ? I'll take it by hook or by crook. Hate the AO deal but I think with the proper adjustment we can use certain folks to an advantage. If any of our guys are holding back as this may be JL's or anyones last ride. EVERY GAME IS A DIVISION GAME. If all we had to do was enlarge the NFCW Division then we now added every NFL team. It looks mental to me. We have the talent and some is just now starting to get involved in the bigger picture. We have room to add Quick and a more motivated Cookie to Maximise his physical GOD GIVEN gifts and possibly WORK on them. Adding more reps for Britt, Bailey and Mason when he is really 100% with his hammy. We need his Home Run threat on any given play added to the weapons we have in this RAMS gun cabinet. Its Not gonna be Gurley all day all the time. Make sure Cunningham is safe after testing him in practice with his ball holding skills. Practice taking a knee on KO's , since we can't have one without a block in the back.

We have to adjust our coverages for AR. DUH? He has seen them all I know. That is why hitting him HARD ASAP is the only and BEST way to address this Big Game. Some here don't think we Need this game. I DO! I want to be as far from 8-8 as we can possibly get. Actually I WANNA SHOCK THE WORLD! PERIOD! NO INJURIES!!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You mean you are actually saying we have a chance? I take the chess reference as we have seen on the Fly adjustments by both our coordinators , and getting better at it lately. If I see a Les post I always click on it. Les and Max both to be honest. I just want to be sure you know the SHOCKER could actually take place ? I'll take it by hook or by crook. Hate the AO deal but I think with the proper adjustment we can use certain folks to an advantage. If any of our guys are holding back as this may be JL's or anyones last ride. EVERY GAME IS A DIVISION GAME. If all we had to do was enlarge the NFCW Division then we now added every NFL team. It looks mental to me. We have the talent and some is just now starting to get involved in the bigger picture. We have room to add Quick and a more motivated Cookie to Maximise his physical GOD GIVEN gifts and possibly WORK on them. Adding more reps for Britt, Bailey and Mason when he is really 100% with his hammy. We need his Home Run threat on any given play added to the weapons we have in this RAMS gun cabinet. Its Not gonna be Gurley all day all the time. Make sure Cunningham is safe after testing him in practice with his ball holding skills. Practice taking a knee on KO's , since we can't have one without a block in the back.

We have to adjust our coverages for AR. DUH? He has seen them all I know. That is why hitting him HARD ASAP is the only and BEST way to address this Big Game. Some here don't think we Need this game. I DO! I want to be as far from 8-8 as we can possibly get. Actually I WANNA SHOCK THE WORLD! PERIOD! NO INJURIES!!!

I appreciate the kind words.

We do have a punchers chance in this game because of two factors.

The DL and ST's..........both of which can, and have, altered the outcomes of games where the Rams were "over-matched".

If it's a tight game I look for Fisher to do something ballsy on ST's to tilt the game. As they say there are a handful of plays per game that end up being the difference, and being on the road against the Packers sort of allows you to take that kind of risk because nobody thinks you are coming out with a win anyway..........so may as well say fuck it and try a little trickery.

I also look for Cig to use a FB a lot to try to give Gurley a little extra room to operate. I'm curious what his game plan is..........I'm wondering if he come out guns blazing to try to get an early lead and set the Packers D on their heels.

One thing for sure, they cannot fall behind by double digits to this Packers team, they are too good and Rodgers is playing out of his mind right now.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This breakout Gurley game could not have come at a better time.

For one thing, now the Packers know that they're dealing with another real playmaker besides Austin. Gurley demands that Capers account for him on every single play. Or else... That's GOT to help every other player on our O.

The other thing is trite, but true. A strong Gurley game on the ground both rests our D and keeps Rodgers on the sideline where he's harmless. The ultimate D vs Rodgers is a large dose of Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham. Preferably resulting in scores.

In short, we live or die by the effectiveness of our OL. All else will fall into place if the OL has a good game.