A few things that I think might improve this Rams team this season…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The bulk of the ‘rebuild’ is gonna have to wait until the offseason when Snead has both cap dollars and premium picks, but there are a few things that I think could be done right now that could make this team a genuine playoff contender.

In no particular order:

McVay should authorize LaFleur to yell in his ear during games whenever McVay goes off the rails with excessive pass calling at the expense of the run. When Rams run the ball, they win. When Rams get pass happy, they lose. It’s not complicated and McVay shouldn’t overthink this. McVay’s willingness to change here is critical to team success. Can’t be overstated.

McVay needs to deliberately focus on enhancing his 12 set playcalling effective immediately. It will only enhance his run game and consequently his TOP, plus give opposing D’s something more to worry about defending. That’s 3 good reasons for it right there. It’s critical that McVay both runs and passes out of 12 sets to be unpredictable to D’s, of course. And I recommend giving this Allen kid some snaps while he’s at it. I suspect that Allen could be a gem if given opportunities. What does McVay have to lose?

Hoecht isn’t working out as an OLB. Square peg meet round hole. Morris is asking him to do things that he’s not capable of doing and that’s classic coaching failure. The solution? Not sure. Maybe Snead can bring in a journeyman? Or Morris can keep rotating players in until someone can halfway play the damned position? But currently Hoecht is an example of Einstein’s definition of insanity, namely keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. Opponents are gonna continue to abuse him as long as he’s playing that position.

Morris should also take a good hard look at his CB deployments. Is Cobie Durant really working out at ‘star’ or slot, or whatever the hell position he’s now playing? And can he even make tackles when needed? And what about Derion Kendrick and his crippling penalties? Witherspoon is shining but perhaps Durant could be better at outside CB? Or Tomlinson? Or Shelley? Shake up that starting CB lineup other than Witherspoon, dammit! What do you have to lose?

Safety is not a major concern but I do think it could benefit from some tinkering to upgrade from Fuller. Experiment with JJ or Lake a little bit. Again, what’s to lose?

Other than possibly bringing in a journeyman edge, all the above moves are internal and could be implemented immediately in the Cards game.

Thoughts?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Nice post. We have options before we are out of options :)

For the long term this young team are burning bright, so let’s try to enjoy the odd problem along the way

How about switching Kendricks and Durant? The former looks like he would make a better star defender based on his aggressiveness, physicality and tackling. I don’t doubt Tomlinson would too

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
You talk too much sense.

But the coaches have their systems, the hell with the personnel.

Tano

Legend
The bulk of the ‘rebuild’ is gonna have to wait until the offseason when Snead has both cap dollars and premium picks, but there are a few things that I think could be done right now that could make this team a genuine playoff contender.

In no particular order:

McVay should authorize LaFleur to yell in his ear during games whenever McVay goes off the rails with excessive pass calling at the expense of the run. When Rams run the ball, they win. When Rams get pass happy, they lose. It’s not complicated and McVay shouldn’t overthink this. McVay’s willingness to change here is critical to team success. Can’t be overstated.

McVay needs to deliberately focus on enhancing his 12 set playcalling effective immediately. It will only enhance his run game and consequently his TOP, plus give opposing D’s something more to worry about defending. That’s 3 good reasons for it right there. It’s critical that McVay both runs and passes out of 12 sets to be unpredictable to D’s, of course. And I recommend giving this Allen kid some snaps while he’s at it. I suspect that Allen could be a gem if given opportunities. What does McVay have to lose?

Hoecht isn’t working out as an OLB. Square peg meet round hole. Morris is asking him to do things that he’s not capable of doing and that’s classic coaching failure. The solution? Not sure. Maybe Snead can bring in a journeyman? Or Morris can keep rotating players in until someone can halfway play the damned position? But currently Hoecht is an example of Einstein’s definition of insanity, namely keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. Opponents are gonna continue to abuse him as long as he’s playing that position.

Morris should also take a good hard look at his CB deployments. Is Cobie Durant really working out at ‘star’ or slot, or whatever the hell position he’s now playing? And can he even make tackles when needed? And what about Derion Kendrick and his crippling penalties? Witherspoon is shining but perhaps Durant could be better at outside CB? Or Tomlinson? Or Shelley? Shake up that starting CB lineup other than Witherspoon, dammit! What do you have to lose?

Safety is not a major concern but I do think it could benefit from some tinkering to upgrade from Fuller. Experiment with JJ or Lake a little bit. Again, what’s to lose?

Other than possibly bringing in a journeyman edge, all the above moves are internal and could be implemented immediately in the Cards game.

Thoughts?
I agree with everything you have said and have made similar points in other threads

dang

Legend

In no particular order:

Thoughts?
Bringing in a replacement for Hoecht isn’t going to in itself make the Rams an instant playoff team. However it would allow Hoecht to be a used as a solid rotational piece on the DL and provide better Edge coverage so that Donald, Young and our young CBs can better excel.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Bringing in a replacement for Hoecht isn’t going to in itself make the Rams an instant playoff team. However it would allow Hoecht to be a used as a solid rotational piece on the DL and provide better Edge coverage so that Donald, Young and our young CBs can better excel.
Yeah. Love his motor but Hoecht’s a liability out there.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Agree with all but not a journeyman if they feel we can make playoffs go for a Frontline OLB at the deadline. Worry about the loss of Brown for 5-7 weeks at NT.

We need to focus on tackling in practice

McVay needs to stop going for the homerin when down and make the higher percentage call of a 5 - 7 slant or out cut.

Must keep an extra man in to help the OL on longer developing pass plays.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

Thoughts?
Good post. Just looking at the FA edges currently, the top 2 guys are old but likely better then Hoecht, Melvin Ingram and Carlos Dunlap. Though, I'm afraid that neither of them would look good trying to cover guys 20 yards down field either. No idea why Morris has Hoecht on ANY type of coverage. Dude is near 300 lbs, safe to say that anyone he is trying to cover is more quick footed and, most of the time, considerably.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
With the inexperience on defense not sure there is much they can do to improve other than waiting for improvement as the season goes on.

On offense just find a way to protect Stafford when defenses amp up the pressure in the second half. He was under more pressure the second half of the last 3 games. DC's must see a weakness in the protection schemes.

If the Rams can figure out how to adjust to it they will score more points. Stafford and those receivers will make plays. Question is, can they do that? We saw how Kyren failed on the 4th and 12 sack.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Lot's of solid stuff in OP.

I'd add on the running game stuff.. if you want to go 12 and run at people more.. they need to bring in a bigger, more explosive back.

Kendrick has had rough spots, but I'm sticking with him. He's actually grading out well, overall. Gotta clean up that shit.

The Hoecht stuff and other DB stuff is exacerbated by no pass rush. He drops in some specific formations and teams get plenty of time and he covers way longer and deeper than schemed to. The lack of pass rush has multiple outcomes, imo. But, yes.. I'd like to bring someone in... AND.. I'm looking forward to more Mathis.

The defense has been better than I expected, overall.. but the lack of pass rush is unsustainable.

dang

Legend
Yeah. Love his motor but Hoecht’s a liability out there.
Noticed Hoecht last week on pass rush plays in the second half. Takes the outside angle then stopped to try and set the Edge if Hurts took off. Probably smart play for him but absolutely gives up the pressure which actually allowed Hurts more time to pass or chose a lane to scramble through. Classic square peg round hole situation. Put Hoecht back on the DL where he can contribute.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

In no particular order:

Thoughts?

Totally agree on Hoecht, I was willing to give him a chance and see how he builds into the role but he's obviously out of his element. I'm hoping now that Mathis is healthy we'll see more and more of him, he can't be any worse than Michael.

Another question is why isn't JJIII playing? I would assume he would be the best fit for a star role if asked to do so. Is Yeast really a better option than JJ? I just don't see it.

Speaking of CB's I'd like to see what Shelley has to offer, when on the field he shines, and quite honestly made a play in the end zone against Philly that kept us in the game. Witherspoon is a pleasant surprise I'd have him follow a teams best WR because right now he's the only corner that is consitently doing his job. While I see promising play from Kendrick and Durant at times, it is spotty at best. Maybe they'll continue to get better with playing time, we'll see.
Last thing I'll say about our CB's sans Witherspoon is, why aren't these guys getting their heads turned around when defending? I'm actually surprised that at times because they do have good position on the WR but never turn their damn heads around to track the ball. Is it a young player thing or is it coaching?

As far as your thoughts on McVay and his play calling. I really think it's going to take something dramatic to get him to change who he is as a coach. I know he loves calling plays but lets be real here. This is his first HC gig, and I think for him to change the way he approaches the game one of two things will have to happen. Either he gets fired because of an epically bad season, or he gets pressure from above to do so. It's a two edged sword, because McVay has had such an outstanding record thus far it's going to tough sledding to get him to change. Maybe another losing season will dictate what happens in the future.