A few TC Battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I beleive we have more to watch than usual this year. Here's a few I'll be keeping my eye on. Not neccessarily to be cut, but for role on the team. That's a drastically different phylosophy than in years past.

Langford Vs. Donald- This is one of the big ones. Both will see the field a lot, however.

CB Depth- Several really good prospects, here. Joyner, Gaines, and one or two from last year. Really like this group.

S- McCleod, Alexander, Davis, Rhainy will be a close battle

RB- Mason Vs Cunningham, very intrigueing for the #2 spot. Richardson or Pead are firmly on the hot seat, IMO.

Depth DE- Sims Vs Sam is one to really watch. Love this match up. Hayes is penciled in as my #3 DE on the team.

#3 OG- The starters are set with Robinson and Saffold (HOLY CRAP!!!), im pulling for Jones, here. Speaking of Jones...

C- Wells Vs. Jones- Jones is healthy so how good is he. Remember, Rams still get the same savings for cutting wells in August.

QB-Davis Vs Gilbert- Gotta beleive Davis will be cut, again. We'll see...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Don't see Sam being out Sims. I can see Sam beating out Brodine/Westbrooks for that 5th DE spot if they choose to keep that many. Rivers was on the roster for some time because they liked him enough, and they might like Sam enough to keep him if he contributes on ST.

Slappy967

Starter
Yeah I cannot wait for training camp! This years Rams team already has a completely different feel to it then any of our squads in a loooooooong time and I cant wait to see them get it done on the field this season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I beleive we have more to watch than usual this year. Here's a few I'll be keeping my eye on. Not neccessarily to be cut, but for role on the team. That's a drastically different phylosophy than in years past.

Langford Vs. Donald- This is one of the big ones. Both will see the field a lot, however.

CB Depth- Several really good prospects, here. Joyner, Gaines, and one or two from last year. Really like this group.

RB- Mason Vs Cunningham, very intrigueing for the #2 spot. Richardson or Pead are firmly on the hot seat, IMO.

Depth DE- Sims Vs Sam is one to really watch. Love this match up. Hayes is penciled in as my #3 DE on the team.

#3 OG- The starters are set with Robinson and Saffold (HOLY CRAP!!!), im pulling for Jones, here. Speaking of Jones...

C- Wells Vs. Jones- Jones is healthy so how good is he. Remember, Rams still get the same savings for cutting wells in August.

You mean Daniels and Bryant, right? Rhaney is a center. Just saying. :D

iced

This is how I see the RB chart shakin out as of now
Starter: Stacy
Back up: Cunningham
3rd Down: Pead (Plus He's an Ace on Special teams)
Got to show: Drich, Mason.

I actually think Pead is the safest behind Stacy - ST Value, 3rd down, and Pass Pro makes him valuable, but not a lock. Mason is a lock since he's a 3rd rounder, but needs to learn how to pass block. Drich is a change of pace at the best but offers no ST value and nothin on 3rd down. Cunningham is the best back up to Stacy as a runnner.

It's an interesting Mix. Everyone brings a different value - i personally think D.Rich is the most expendable here, but that's what camps for.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I actually think Pead is the safest behind Stacy - ST Value, 3rd down, and Pass Pro makes him valuable, but not a lock. Mason is a lock since he's a 3rd rounder, but needs to learn how to pass block. Drich is a change of pace at the best but offers no ST value and nothin on 3rd down. Cunningham is the best back up to Stacy as a runnner.

It's an interesting Mix. Everyone brings a different value - i personally think D.Rich is the most expendable here, but that's what camps for.

I think Mason will learn to pass block, because if I remember correctly Pead wasn't that good in pass pro when he got here, and now he's fantastic at it. Mason has the desire and the work ethic to get better as well.

I could realistically see Mason getting ~10 carries a game, with Stacy getting ~15. Mason is an extremely talented back, his vision is on par with Stacy IMO.

I believe Snead said Mason is our kick returner as well. So he could some snaps by doing great there.

iced

I think Mason will learn to pass block, because if I remember correctly Pead wasn't that good in pass pro when he got here, and now he's fantastic at it. Mason has the desire and the work ethic to get better as well.

Actually Pead was pretty good at it from the get go - and was hands down the best in training camp.

I could realistically see Mason getting ~10 carries a game, with Stacy getting ~15. Mason is an extremely talented back, his vision is on par with Stacy IMO.

I believe Snead said Mason is our kick returner as well. So he could some snaps by doing great there.

Mason would be a nice upgrade at KR.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Actually Pead was pretty good at it from the get go - and was hands down the best in training camp.

Mason would be a nice upgrade at KR.

Yeah, that's what I'm reading, I just for some reason remember him being bad. Maybe he just whiffed once and I immediately assumed it.

Regardless, I think Mason should improve with experience, because Auburn rarely threw the ball. I think he might become a part of a 2 RB duo with Stacy, punishing teams for the next 5 years or so.

Last edited:

Ram4life11

Rookie

How is Pead the safest behind Stacey? Enough is enough, the dude is getting to much credit for the little he's done. He came into the season as the starting kick returner but lost that spot by the end of training camp to Cunningham. He was easily beat out for the starting spot by Drich, and was given the #2 RB spot to start the season even tho he had a terrible training camp with about 3 fumbles and 2 ypc average. He lost the #2 spot soon after the season started and has been outplayed by Stacey and Cunningham to get any carriers since then. Cunningham was a special teams starter as well, He started some games on the punt team, kickoff team, and was the starting kick returner before he was injuried. To say Pead outplayed Drich or took his spot is false, Drich suffered from turf toe all season and never recovered, Pead was the only RB that wasn't injuried at all last year but still had the least amount of touches of all the backs...

Slappy967

Starter
Yeah I would say unless Pead plays like he is Barry Sanders 2.0 in training camp and beyond he will be among the cuts early in camp. Never done anything to live up to being a 2nd rd pick. It's a shame as I loved him in college and he was incredible at the Senior Bowl.

RAM$

UDFA
Remembered Pead was dominating as a recieving threat 1 game, checked had 7 receptions for 43 yards against DAL. Sure it was probly garbage time but if he matured this offseason he can be at least a good 3rd down back. Plus he contributes on ST, if he stays out of the doghouse I see him making the 53 over DR.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
How is Pead the safest behind Stacey? Enough is enough, the dude is getting to much credit for the little he's done. He came into the season as the starting kick returner but lost that spot by the end of training camp to Cunningham. He was easily beat out for the starting spot by Drich, and was given the #2 RB spot to start the season even tho he had a terrible training camp with about 3 fumbles and 2 ypc average. He lost the #2 spot soon after the season started and has been outplayed by Stacey and Cunningham to get any carriers since then. Cunningham was a special teams starter as well, He started some games on the punt team, kickoff team, and was the starting kick returner before he was injuried. To say Pead outplayed Drich or took his spot is false, Drich suffered from turf toe all season and never recovered, Pead was the only RB that wasn't injuried at all last year but still had the least amount of touches of all the backs...

Richardson has no special teams value. Pead does. Plus Pead is a better receiver and blocker. I don't know about safest, but he's much safer than Richardson IMO. Fisher is making Pead earn his roster spot, and he's definitely earning it on ST. Doesn't matter whether he was 2nd round or UDFA at this point, that doesn't matter to Fish.

Richardson only has value as a change of pace back, and considering we drafted Mason and Cunningham beat him out for the #2 role, it doesn't look like the Rams feel he will make any sort of contribution. Richardson's playing time ticked down, Pead's ticked up. That says something. Turf toe sucks, but he lost his job and he needs to come back in and earn it. The only running back that is guaranteed their spot is Stacy.

Muleman

UDFA
You don't cut someone just because they have not lived up to their draft spot. If Pead adds more value than one of the others he should have a roster spot. If not then cut, geez.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I do not see any battle for the starting two DT's posts. What I see is a new tag team partner who can be inserted at both DT posts @ any time as to increase the overall strength of the two DT on the field. The addition of AD is not to kick any of the starters out but to make whomever in on the field fresher and stronger!

I do not see any battles ongoing either @ the two corner positions JJ & TJ are the starters period with rookie Lamarcus Joyner as the Nickle. McGee, Woodard & rookie Gaines as back ups and making the 53 master roster. McGee will be the Dimeback. Rookie Gaines will back up Joyner @ the Nickle.

The biggest Camp battle on our Ram defense will be @ the two safety starting posts. There is no telling what is going to come out of this safety cadre. This will be fun to watch. I would not be surprised at all if we see something surprising jell up here. Just say that if that rookie Mo is what our DC wants on the field as his main safety targeted blitzer then we could even see two very large safeties starting in our secondary with the rookie Alexander moving into the strong safety position and TJ McDonald going deep! But two new rookies coming in at safety to go with the other youngsters McLeod-Davis & Daniels this is where you will want to set up your TC camp seat at.

With the new rookie RB Mason coming in things will certainly heat up. But Mason will undergo surgery that could retard his work in TC. I will say this anyone thinking that Benny Cunningham is an afterthought here you will be making a big mistake. The rookie Cunningham was not 100% last yr in returning from knee surgery. This season will be a whole different story. Cunningham has several running gears we have not seen since he has been a Ram.

WR's?? I just say this ....Stedman Bailey & Tavon Austin rest will be an afterthought why bother.

Now in conclusion to the OL our weakest overall 2013 unit. Fisher lost three key OL'ers during free agency two were the 2013 starting OG's & a back up swing OT.The other was the key top reserve the last two seasons @ OG. Rams did not draft any OG's instead draft a OT & a OC. There should be no real serious TC battles for starting posts. Rookie Robinson will be the starting left OG with ORG Saffold with Barksdale & Long @ OT's. Most figure the Rams would release Scott Wells due to cap hit to save $$$ and insert the much bigger stronger Barrett Jones.

There might be an issue with this line of thought now. Rams are absent any back up OT when you play & start your best five OL'ers. Purchasing a UFA is expensive $$$ but possible. Rams have five centers now ....you should be able to do without one of them so one of them could fill the need @ swing OT. Rams have only one legitimate OL who has experience in college at both OT posts....Barrett Jones. Snead did draft a small school ORT in now Ram rookie Mitchell Van Dyk.
http://www.college2pro.com/showSingleArticle.php?id=363&page=browseArticles&category=NFL Mock Draft
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2059277-how-t-mitchell-van-dyk-fits-with-the-st-louis-rams
There is also OT UDFA Sean Hooey & jack of all OL positions the 6-7 310 pound Graham Pocic. He was on the Ram IR roster the entire 2013 season from shoulder surgery back in 2012. At OG Rams have Brandon Washington who has been a Ram now going into his third season. There is also the small but tough Mile Persons who has been on several other western division teams. At Center let Barnes-Wells & rookie Demetrius Rhaney do the center thing.

OLT- Long/Jones/Robinson/Hooey
OLG- Robinson/Washington/
OC- Wells/Barnes/Rhaney
ORG- Saffold/Persons/Pocic
ORT- Barksdale/Jones/Van Dyk

Last edited:

iced

uhh actually pead didn't "lose out" to anyone - he got into the dog house early in the season and took awhile to get out.

cunningham replaced Stacy on running downs - but very seldom was on he field for pass pro and as a weapon out of the backfield. They used Pead for that, whom also brings ST Value (he was pretty dam good on ST's and was one of the standouts). However, he did "beat out" Drich toward the end of the season. drich had been inactive several times after being taken off the injury report and never started again. He never went to IR either. Pead on the other hand, was earning 3rd down back snaps, ST snaps, and was being used out of the backfield. Additionally was also used for a successful 2 pt conversion ( a must have/one shot play mind you ).

Pead brings the most value of the backs skill set wise - ST, 3rd down, hands, pass pro. Just gotta stay out of his own way, which he apparently did a good job enough of to uproot Drich for the job.

Ram4life11

Rookie
uhh actually pead didn't "lose out" to anyone - he got into the dog house early in the season and took awhile to get out.

cunningham replaced Stacy on running downs - but very seldom was on he field for pass pro and as a weapon out of the backfield. They used Pead for that, whom also brings ST Value (he was pretty dam good on ST's and was one of the standouts). However, he did "beat out" Drich toward the end of the season. drich had been inactive several times after being taken off the injury report and never started again. He never went to IR either. Pead on the other hand, was earning 3rd down back snaps, ST snaps, and was being used out of the backfield. Additionally was also used for a successful 2 pt conversion ( a must have/one shot play mind you ).

Pead brings the most value of the backs skill set wise - ST, 3rd down, hands, pass pro. Just gotta stay out of his own way, which he apparently did a good job enough of to uproot Drich for the job.

I'll easily correct you on that, HE WAS BEAT OUT FOR THE STARTING SPOT. Coming into camp the coaches stated that the starting spot was open to whoever won. Before training camp was even over Drich was named starter I know Pead was suspended week 1 but he was already beat out for the starting spot, and to be honest Cunningham outplayed him in training camp for the 3rd spot, doghouse or not he wasn't worthy of the #1 or #2 RB spot.

How did he beat out Drich towards the end of the season, when the coaches knew it would take a full off season for him to fully recover, besides there was no reason to play him because of how good Stacey and Cunningham were playing.(Not because of how good Pead was performing at RB)

As fare as the 2point conversion, that play was designed for Pead because he was the only RB on the sideline with energy, Stacey was injuried and Cunningham ran the ball about 8 strait plays to score the game winning touchdown to put the game out of reach(NOT PEAD), there was ntg spectacular about what he on the play, he came out the backfield WIDEOPEN to make a 3 yard catch.

As fare as ST, Cunningham has more value than him. Cunningham started kick returner, on kickoff, and punt team. I'm pretty sure fisher put him on ST strictly because he was the highest paid RB with little production. We don't know what value Drich has on ST because the coaches don't put the starting RB on ST, and when Drich got his spot taken by Stacey he was suffering from the turf toe injury so there was know way for him to show his ST abilities at that point..

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'll easily correct you on that, HE WAS BEAT OUT FOR THE STARTING SPOT. Coming into camp the coaches stated that the starting spot was open to whoever won. Before training camp was even over Drich was named starter I know Pead was suspended week 1 but he was already beat out for the starting spot, and to be honest Cunningham outplayed him in training camp for the 3rd spot, doghouse or not he wasn't worthy of the #1 or #2 RB spot.

How did he beat out Drich towards the end of the season, when the coaches knew it would take a full off season for him to fully recover, besides there was no reason to play him because of how good Stacey and Cunningham were playing.(Not because of how good Pead was performing at RB)

As fare as the 2point conversion, that play was designed for Pead because he was the only RB on the sideline with energy, Stacey was injuried and Cunningham ran the ball about 8 strait plays to score the game winning touchdown to put the game out of reach(NOT PEAD), there was ntg spectacular about what he on the play, he came out the backfield WIDEOPEN to make a 3 yard catch.

As fare as ST, Cunningham has more value than him. Cunningham started kick returner, on kickoff, and punt team. I'm pretty sure fisher put him on ST strictly because he was the highest paid RB with little production. We don't know what value Drich has on ST because the coaches don't put the starting RB on ST, and when Drich got his spot taken by Stacey he was suffering from the turf toe injury so there was know way for him to show his ST abilities at that point..

Pead has more value, Cunningham apparently just lost his job as a returner to Mason, and Pead is a better gunner on kick/punt coverage. It wasn't a sympathy post, Pead is a special teams ace. Also, coaches even said DRich couldn't play special teams. You need to listen to what the team says.

iced

Uhh, no. Pead's first week back indicates otherwise. Pead was suspended from an incident that occured the season before; even fisher didn't know why it took so long for the league to act. Week 2 Pead was #2 in Snaps, ahead of Cunningham. (40 for drich,29 for pead, 7 for cunningham.)

Whether or not you believe Cunningham outplayed Pead isn't indicative of how the coaching staff clearly viewed him - clearly evidenced by Pead leading in snaps week 3 (Pead has 42 offensive snaps, Cunningham 22).

Week 4 he entered the dog house again - and it took awhile to climb out.

If the coaches knew, why wasn't he listed on the injury report? The League requires injured players to be listed. Richardson's last start was at home against the seahawks, and never saw the field again...Richardson came off the injury report for week 12 and was subsequently inactive for the following weeks.
If the coaches knew that it would take a long time he would have gone to IR. Doesn't make sense.

Not to mention part of the biggest reason why Drich was benched was for his lack of vision - which has nothing to do with your toe. I understand it'll affect your burst - but i don't see it mattering when you keep running into the back of your own lineman. Not to mention I don't think I ever saw Drich break a tackle.

Actually no it wasn't "designed for Pead" - it's a play that's in schotty's playbook and has been run before w/o Pead. And again, you're missing the significance of the play - it's a must have. You don't put in a player you don't trust in that type of position.

It's actually a common play - Chip kellys used it as well, except with D.Jax running presnap like Tavon Austin with Mccoy in the same role as pead was

Actually Pead has been heralded as the ST's ace and was part of our great kick coverage. And it had nothing to do with how much he was paid or drafted - again, that doesn't make sense. So Fisher is suddenly going to start him at ST later, after benching him because he needed to get his act together?

Cunningham is a better pure runner than Pead showed - but Pead also showed he had the hands, pass pro, and the value on ST. Drich has shown he has terrible hands and vision. Cunningham hasn't shown the same 3rd down capabilities.