A few reflections after the Chiefs game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I understand Goff is the golden boy, but, that bad exchange is on him.

However, when Rhaney entered the game not one bad snap...Coincidence? I think not! Kush reminds too much like Scott Wells when it comes to snapping the football, he has also had issues in shotgun formation as well, IMHO.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
However, when Rhaney entered the game not one bad snap...Coincidence? I think not! Kush reminds too much like Scott Wells when it comes to snapping the football, he has also had issues in shotgun formation as well, IMHO.

Yup. I specifically recall Fisher yelling at him twice during the first episode of Hard Knocks. "Get that snap up! Get that snap up!"

That's high school football, man.

fearsomefour

Legend
Could be.
My total viewing of Kush is this preseason.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Looked like Kush snapped it before Goff was looking for it. Was it a cadence thing? Who's fault is that?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Could be.
My total viewing of Kush is this preseason.

And I have never been a supporter of Rhaney, however, I have seen improved play with him at Center, he's not a guard and I'm not sure if he'll be the back up, but right now IMO I would give him the edge over Kush based on unforced errors alone.

fearsomefour

Legend
And I have never been a supporter of Rhaney, however, I have seen improved play with him at Center, he's not a guard and I'm not sure if he'll be the back up, but right now IMO I would give him the edge over Kush based on unforced errors alone.
I liked Kushs' play vs Dallas, in the run game at least.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Looked like Kush snapped it before Goff was looking for it. Was it a cadence thing? Who's fault is that?

Kush had a false start right after that too where he went to snap the ball too early and cost the Rams five yards.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Random observations:

- I will say this, I think we've got a chance to be middle of the pack in passing with Britt, Tavon, Cooper, and Higbee and Gurley (it looks like this is much more a west coast offense with backs running routes) as our top targets.

-The rub/screen route where Cooper scored... Tavon gets blown the F! up in a real game there.

- Run blocking looks better than decent right now.

- Brown might be a better all-around back than Mason.

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Random observations:

- I will say this, I think we've got a chance to be middle of the pack in passing with Quick, Tavon, Cooper, and Higbee and Gurley (it looks like this is much more a west coast offense with backs running routes) as our top targets.

-The rub/screen route where Cooper scored... Tavon gets blown the F! up in a real game there.

- Run blocking looks better than decent right now.

- Brown might be a better all-around back than Mason.

I think I'm done with Quick at this point.
Unless he suddenly springs to life, cut him and move on.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Ugh. I can't believe I wrote that and just edited thread. I meant to put "Britt" there. I was a Quick apologist for a long time. No more. I'm praying that Thomas can show enough on ST and with blocking and catching the ball to make him expendable.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Ugh. I can't believe I wrote that and just edited thread. I meant to put "Britt" there. I was a Quick apologist for a long time. No more.
One game...4 years....Let's see if the kid can put it together...
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...ick-running-out-of-time-for-career-turnaround

LOS ANGELES — Earlier this week, Jeff Fisher summarized the state of the Rams’ receiving corps.

The top three, he said, consisted of Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin and rookie Pharoh Cooper. After that, the depth chart remains “wide open,” with sixth-round pick Michael Thomas and undrafted signees Nelson Spruce and Paul McRoberts all earning mentions from the head coach.

Conspicuously absent from the discussion? Brian Quick.

Take a good look at the 27-year-old, and you can understand what the Rams were thinking four years ago when they drafted him out of Appalachian State at No. 33 overall. Listed at 6-foot-3, 218 pounds — numbers that may be conservative — he is one of the team’s biggest receivers. Despite his small-school pedigree, many draft analysts found him intriguing. Perhaps most effusive was NFL Films’ Greg Cosell, who wrote of Quick in 2012: “With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class.”

This year, as Quick heads into his fifth NFL season, that ceiling looks almost completely out of reach.

That Fisher neglected to mention Quick at all when asked about receivers might simply be an oversight; facing reporters day after day in training camp, it can be easy to forget a name. But considering Quick’s tepid career production, the coach’s omission could very well be read as a stern message: Step it up, soon.

Five months ago, the Rams re-signed him to a one-year contract, one that guaranteed him $1.5 million. It was the epitome of a “prove-it” deal.

Over four years, Quick has totaled 64 catches for 935 yards and seven touchdowns. His third season, which saw him reel in 322 yards in his first four games, was cut short when he tore his left shoulder. (“My labrum, my rotator cuff, bicep tendon,” he said. “It was pretty bad.”) Last fall, he pulled down just 10 of his 32 targets, a catch percentage of 31.3. Only seven NFL players were worse.

Saturday’s preseason game against Kansas City provided little hope of a turnaround. When the Rams used a three-receiver formation, Britt, Austin and Cooper were the ones on the field. And although Quick got a healthy amount of reps, he rarely converted. Rookie quarterback Jared Goff threw his way five times, and connected just twice. One drop hit Quick right in the hands.

The South Carolina native could be facing a career crossroads. He expresses appreciation for the opportunity to compete, and seems to have put his injury behind him. But when the Rams make roster cuts in a couple of weeks, would they keep him over, say, a rookie such as Nelson Spruce?

“They’re expecting a lot from me this year,” Quick said recently.

The expectations might be there. He’s just running out of time to meet them.

Two of those passes were catchable....And, I believe he'll be targeted again, and make those...Just getting adjusted to the rookie....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Kush had a false start right after that too where he went to snap the ball too early and cost the Rams five yards.
Pretty rare to have a C false start. In fact, it's almost impossible. The Man Of 1000 tank tops, managed to pull it off, though.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Ive been as willing as anyone to let Brian Quick either prove it or not. He doesn't seem to me to be capable of getting it mentally. To see him still making the same mistake he made as a rookie when it cost us a game in Miami (when he didn't turn his head to the QB to see a ball coming his way because he couldn't recognize the hot read) is shocking. People were all over him then - as a rookie, because it was something he should know. He's run out of excuses and I don't think he'll make the team.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pretty rare to have a C false start. In fact, it's almost impossible. The Man Of 1000 tank tops, managed to pull it off, though.

He forgot the cadence....It happens, I played Center 4 years in high school and 4 years in the Air Force & College and forgot it twice, although to this day I will testify the Quarterback said two and everybody else went on the first count on more than one occasion.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am concerned about the secondary defense. I guess the only way to not expose our secondaries is to get pressure up front. At least we have the men to do that. But still, I think teams will get explosive plays and long passes on our d this season.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He forgot the cadence....It happens, I played Center 4 years in high school and 4 years in the Air Force & College and forgot it twice, although to this day I will testify the Quarterback said two and everybody else went on the first count on more than one occasion.
At least it beats hiking the ball to an unaware qb.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If none of the WR candidates for the 6th WR position prove to be talented enough, I think Fisher/Boras/Groh might be perfectly happy to go with an extra TE on the 53. Hemingway might prove to be a more valuable semi WR threat. Plus, I believe that Hemingway has ST value.

I expect to see a ton of 2 TE sets this year as it is. And lots more passes to Gurley. This '16 Passing O is gonna be a whole different animal than last year's version. Gonna be much more difficult to defend.

I'll admit that I'm gonna try to keep a closer eye on Joyner in the slot. And a closer eye on that deep S battle, too.

I couldn't be happier with the development of the OL this camp. I'm damned near giddy, TBH. I'm expecting 1500 yards on the ground from a healthy Gurley. Maybe even more.

And coach Lilly probably deserves a ton of credit for the way that TE group is coming along. Pretty impressive, actually.

I see some promising youngsters at CB. Is Sensabaugh gonna keep one of them off the 53?

Some of our DL cuts are gonna get snatched up quickly. But what can the Rams do? Can't keep 'em all.