A few random thoughts after the Titans game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
If you say you're going to fix something and don't after a reasonable amount of time, it's fair to question it, IMO.
Martz won :)

His teams scored on offense. They were rarely flat.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding Pead...

For me, it's not that close.

Here's my thinking...

Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham are locks to make the team.

Meanwhile, Watts and M Brown looked scintillating in brief appearances. By process of elimination, Pead may have slipped to 6th string.

And as far as ST is concerned, please... Reynolds is miles ahead of Pead in terms of ST value.

Another RB might be carried until Watts has served his suspension, I guess. But Watts just makes plays when given snaps. He looks like our 4th RB to me.

Honestly, I'm baffled by the "Pead love" exhibited by some. He hasn't done squat in 3 years!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Let's not lose sight of who was going against who in this RB fight.

It's not like they were all going against the 1s for the Titans.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I sure am not.

JT is a grump.

He's staying. Like it or not. He can play ST and is a better pure runner than Tre Watts (suspension) and Benny Cunnginham (pure STer).

IDK where this "country club" BS has come from. The CBA has limits to how much and how hard teams can go in camp. It's not just a Ram thing, it's an NFL thing.

I hardly know where to start, Angry.

1) You're not getting a little antsy after watching our starters on O score 3 points in 2 games against '14 doormat teams? Ummmm..., okay...

2) Yeah, JT is a grump. But how does that relate to our inability to block, tackle, throw, catch, score, punt, or kick field goals? That's a classic non sequitur.

3) If Pead is such a better "pure runner", why is it that Watts and Brown outshone him by a country mile? As to Pead's ST value, he isn't even in the conversation if being compared to Reynolds or Cunningham. Watts either, for that matter.

4) I didn't invent the "country club" description. Most observers have noticed the lack of fire and effort in our first 2 games. We've been abused and humiliated by two '14 also ran teams so far. I'm worried that this trend will once AGAIN carry over into the regular season. I prefer a HC that doesn't give a damn how well liked he is, but only cares about producing a winning team. Fisher's priorities may be upside down.

Sigh...

We can agree to disagree, I guess.

iced

3) If Pead is such a better "pure runner", why is it that Watts and Brown outshone him by a country mile? As to Pead's ST value, he isn't even in the conversation if being compared to Reynolds or Cunningham. Watts either, for that matter.

Hard to criticize these backs when the starting o-line looks like a joke.

The o-line doesn't have any depth

BTW the fact that Pead is starting behind benny and mason but ahead of the rest should tell you how much they value him

rambone

UDFA
1) The pass to Austin worked last week, please don’t go “Schotty” and call it every game – defense DCs are not stupid, they are looking for the pass into the flat.

2) Speaking of Austin send him downfield! Jeez – he can take the top off just like Givens.

3) I think the pick 6 was half Foles and half Britt. If Kenny cuts that underneath its a completion, but Foles shouldn’t have thrown it. What I did like – a lot – is when Pam Oliver asked Foles about it he did not throw Britt under the bus. Manned up and said it was his fault and he shouldn’t have thrown it. That’s a leader.

4) Pead runs like he going to be hit, even when he’s not. I would not characterize his style as aggressive.

5) I’m pulling for Rodriquez, but where, oh where is our return game?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

preseason.

the only thing that matters is injuries.

RamzFanz

Damnit
1) The pass to Austin worked last week, please don’t go “Schotty” and call it every game – defense DCs are not stupid, they are looking for the pass into the flat.

2) Speaking of Austin send him downfield! Jeez – he can take the top off just like Givens.

3) I think the pick 6 was half Foles and half Britt. If Kenny cuts that underneath its a completion, but Foles shouldn’t have thrown it. What I did like – a lot – is when Pam Oliver asked Foles about it he did not throw Britt under the bus. Manned up and said it was his fault and he shouldn’t have thrown it. That’s a leader.

4) Pead runs like he going to be hit, even when he’s not. I would not characterize his style as aggressive.

5) I’m pulling for Rodriquez, but where, oh where is our return game?

1) Which I personally think is screaming that they aren't going to reveal TA designed plays in the preseason. MAYBE we get one or two in game 3-4.

2) He doesn't get separation. It's not about speed, it's about tricking the coverage, and he can't do it.

3) I agree completely. The sad part is Cook was wide open in the seam and Foles didn't check down to him.

4) I'm still on the fence with Pead, but I don't think the team is. He had a really good TC overall.

5) I'm happy for Rodriguez, but I'm 90/10 he's not going to make the team. He's just too small for the NFL and is all heart over natural talent. I really hoped he would explode in returns so he could squeeze through, but it just hasn't happened. I expect the KRs will go back to Cunningham who had a great season last season. Pead and Givens are also possibilities. So far, I don't trust anyone but Cunningham.

beej

Rookie
1) Which I personally think is screaming that they aren't going to reveal TA designed plays in the preseason.
I was thinking that last year during pre-season, but then they didn't reveal him during the regulars season as well. To me one of the most important aspects of TA's game is that if he's in motion you have to account for him because of big play potential. That should free up someone. So how do you drive that into a DC's game plan? Use the plays!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was thinking that last year during pre-season, but then they didn't reveal him during the regulars season as well. To me one of the most important aspects of TA's game is that if he's in motion you have to account for him because of big play potential. That should free up someone. So how do you drive that into a DC's game plan? Use the plays!
Let's talk about the "vanilla approach" to pre-season.

If we're to believe this approach, that's why they haven't/aren't displaying the types of plays Austin could be deployed in during the regular season.

And, the reasoning is (if I have it right) that they don't want to "tip their hands".

Now... let's say most/all the NFL teams go vanilla during the pre-season. If that's the case, are opposing coaches even paying any attention to any pre-season tapes? Why would they? It's all vanilla.

OK... so I'm thinking pretty far "out there"... but wouldn't this be the precise time to get Austin in those invesntive plays in real game situations (albeit pre-season). Will these plays even get reviewed by other teams?

And, if this isn't the best time, when is it? During the regular season? When everything really counts? I'd rather find out now and work on correcting that, then find out when it counts and I'm behind the 8-ball.

If he gets good at getting open and is as fast as we know, does it even matter that they saw some tape during pre-season? Or is it always going to be gadget plays that need to be kept under wraps by the C.I.A? o_O

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
If the team is "tired" this early in the season and gonna lay eggs NOW... Imagine the kinda shit we'll have to endure when they get into the postseason and play all those "extra" games. Yikes

FRO

Legend

preseason.

the only thing that matters is injuries.

That used to be my line of thinking as well, but now I'm not so sure. I think our slow starts may be due to our survive injuries approach to preseason. I think we could used the preseason to sharpen up a bit. If we were a more experienced established team then I would be more ok with just surviving injuries.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know its just the preseason. And some guys aren't worried about the poor play because of that. Thats fine. Nothing wrong with optimism. And who knows? It just might be a preseason only thing. We won't know till Sept. 13 if there's reason for optimism or not.

All we have to go by is recent history. In 2013 and 2014 we were 1-3 in both preseasons. We then started the regular season 1-3 in both seasons. We finished the first half 3-5 in both seasons. We did not have a winning record in the 2nd half of either season.

So here we are 0-2 in the preseason. The starting offense has not scored a touchdown and managed a total of 3 points. The defense has been playing below their capabilities. I see a lot of similarities in 2015 compared to 2013 and 2014.

I'm not seeing a reason for the optimism. The right side of the line is going to be a work in progress. So will the center position. Our LT has only played one season so he's still a work in progress. Our QB is a work in progress. Tavon Austin has been a work in progress since he got here. Even our starting RB has only played one season. I would say he's still a work in progress. And our receivers still seem to have difficulty getting separation.

You see what I'm getting at? How can all those positions that need time to learn give us reason for optimism. Especially our number one quarterback. He's still a huge question mark. From what I watched I saw a QB who's not all that accurate and holds the ball too long under pressure. I saw one play that impressed me. He was under pressure, eluded it, stepped up in the pocket and found a receiver for a first down. If those kind of plays are an indication then I'll feel better about it. But that was the only play that impressed me.

I'm willing to give him the preseason to see if thats all it is, preseason vanilla. But if they continue to play the same way they have the past 3 seasons, I don't see us winning 8 games. The offense I saw the last two games looked worse than the offense in 2014 and 2013. I didn't think that was possible.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
The discouraging thing to me is the fact that the team looks exactly like last season's team. Different players in some positions with the same results. I do not get it. The coaching staff had better change coaching tactics and come up with a new playbook or we will be watching the same team we all suffered with last season.

Well the coaches are hard pressed and very busy....after all there are what, 26 of them?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
1) You're not getting a little antsy after watching our starters on O score 3 points in 2 games against '14 doormat teams? Ummmm..., okay...

No. Because it's a whopping 5 drives in 2 preseason games.

2) Yeah, JT is a grump. But how does that relate to our inability to block, tackle, throw, catch, score, punt, or kick field goals? That's a classic non sequitur.

Because the team could win a SB and JT still wouldn't crack a smile.

He's showing he's a good KR so far. He doesn't play the same spot as Chase Reynolds or Benny.

4) I didn't invent the "country club" description. Most observers have noticed the lack of fire and effort in our first 2 games. We've been abused and humiliated by two '14 also ran teams so far. I'm worried that this trend will once AGAIN carry over into the regular season. I prefer a HC that doesn't give a damn how well liked he is, but only cares about producing a winning team. Fisher's priorities may be upside down.

One of those '14 teams the Rams whooped their ass 52-0 when it counted.

I don't think Jeff Fisher cares about going balls to the wall in preseason games like Steve Spagnuluo did. Jeff Fisher will care about winning once Ws actually count.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Remember that vaunted 2011 preseason that had highlights like this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2cOLN-c4wQ

And ended with the #2 overall pick in 2012?

I propose that we wait and see what it looks like against Indy, when there will be some level of interest in strategy from the coaches.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There's a method to Fishers madness.
He goes easy on guys through camp and preseason to rotect their legs for the long haul of the season. It's about peaking at the right time.

Like the idea or not but that's clearly the idea. Lots of depth, lots of rotation, light training and halfass preseason = faster, fresher legs later in the season.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There's a method to Fishers madness.
He goes easy on guys through camp and preseason to rotect their legs for the long haul of the season. It's about peaking at the right time.

Like the idea or not but that's clearly the idea. Lots of depth, lots of rotation, light training and halfass preseason = faster, fresher legs later in the season.

And how did that help us in the Viking game in last year's opener, badnews?

Not picking on you, or anyone else in particular, btw.

Look, nobody really cares about the preseason W/L record. But the lack of fundamentals does not bode well for the future. It's not too much to expect fundamentals, is it?

And more than a few of us are concerned about the early regular season record. Given Fisher's recent track record, only a hopeless homer would not be at least a bit concerned.