A few random thoughts after the Seahawk game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First, it must have been beyond exciting to have attended that cliffhanger with 91,000 other screaming fans, huh?

The Coliseum sure looked great on my flatscreen, that's for sure. Brought back lots of wonderful memories to this old timer. Jack Youngblood wasn't the only one a little choked up by game's end,

Haven't yet rewatched the game yet, but here goes with a few first impressions...

Case Keenum made just enough plays to secure the win. But I would expect a vet QB to be poised enough to avoid at least a couple of those needless sacks by throwing the damned ball away. One sack cost us a shot at a semi clinching FG attempt late in the 4th qtr. Having a 12-3 lead there would have been sooooo much more comfortable, right?

Another thing. Before we get too carried away with this dramatic win, 9 total points in two combined games is not gonna get the job done. Yeah, that was a tough Seahawk D. But 9 points? Dang! We still have miles to go just to elevate our O to halfway decent status.

Gurley has to improve his pass pro skills so that he can become a 3 down RB. I love Benny, but Gurley is our franchise RB and he needs to be a threat on all 3 downs, don't you think? His one passing target resulted in a nice gain. I look forward to seeing a helluva lot more of that.

When our OL was being assembled last year, I think most of us foresaw a beastly run blocking unit. The pass pro is coming along nicely, but where are those running lanes we expected? Gurley's gotta be frustrated. I certainly am.

A word about GRob. I've seen some criticism about his 2 holding penalties, but I'm taking a slightly different view. To me, the mental mistake penalties like false starts and illegal formations are more troubling. For GRob, those have stopped. A holding penalty that saves the life of his QB is far more acceptable to me. The other holding penalty was a "phantom" call, IMHO. Not the first phantom call against GRob in his short career, btw. But I digress...

Wichmann had a couple of WTF snaps, but overall I see OL progress. By mid season this could be a very nice unit both in pass pro and run blocking.

Saffold remains healthy after 2 games! Perhaps the docs got both of his shoulders completely fixed? If so, that bodes very well. Knock on wood, fellas.

Kendricks is rounding into a nice all around TE weapon. I'm guilty of underestimating his impact. I am disappointed in Higbee's impact, however. I expected more from him by now, frankly.

Speaking of disappointment, the only time I noticed Cooper yesterday was when he was dropping a Keenum pass that hit him in his hands. And it would have been for a critical 3rd down drive sustaining conversion while in a verrrrry tight ballgame. WTH?

While on the subject of rookie WR's, Spruce has now missed 5 games. Serious injury or is he injury prone? Very disappointing.

Tavon Austin doesn't look like a $42 million player to me. Had a poll about him possibly being our most overrated player recently. He still makes questionable decisions when receiving punts. Seems like more than half the time, TBH. One of them really put us in a bad hole in a tight game yesterday. And frankly, I don't see the WR value, either. Even his runs have underwhelmed, so far. Is it Tavon or is it coaching? Or both?

Thank goodness for "clutch" Kenny Britt yesterday. Without him, we lose this game.

Is there a better punter than Hekker in the league? Don't bother answering that, lol. Hekker is a beast. Not sure we win this game without him, either. He's a field position nightmare for our opponents.

I may owe GZ an apology, since I've been a critic after his 60% year in '15. But he nailed all 3 of his opportunities yesterday, and each was dead solid perfect, TBH. Heck, he was our ONLY scorer. But I'm gonna wait to see more than just his performance in 2 games before I abase myself.

It was wonderful to see Quinn have a bounce back game. Took away a big worry of mine.

Hayes is having a terrific start to his season, huh? Our senior citizen D lineman is really bringing it. Chris Long who?

Ogletree is easing my MLB fears, too. He and Barron are a couple of playmaking mofo's. By game 6 we might really have something with those two. On track for 250 tackles between them, don't you think?

Boy, do we need a healthy Gaines. Happy to see Hill get his snaps (and a couple of lumps). He's gonna be a good one, I think, if we're a bit patient. The less Sensabaugh I see, the better I like it.

Gotta agree with Aikman about the excessive penalties. Teams that commit lots of penalties are usually beating themselves. But I fear that it's a Fisher trademark. Sigh...

In summary:

Anytime your D holds an opponent the caliber of the Seahawks to 3 points, they've done their job. That's a stellar bottom line. Kudos to the D players and to GW.

Anytime your O puts up only 9 points, you know that it's a work in process. But I see glimpses here and there. And I'm encouraged by apparent progress with Boras' play calling. Once our OL gets it's feet on the ground, I do believe that we will see Gurley unleashed. But let's face it. The sooner Goff get's established, the better. Not that I favor rushing it, mind you. But only with a functional Goff will our O truly be able to start firing on all cylinders.

What did I miss?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Speaking of disappointment, the only time I noticed Cooper yesterday was when he was dropping a Keenum pass that hit him in his hands. And it would have been for a critical 3rd down drive sustaining conversion while in a verrrrry tight ballgame. WTH?

While on the subject of rookie WR's, Spruce has now missed 5 games. Serious injury or is he injury prone? Very disappointing.

Cooper was inactive yesterday. I believe Spruce will be back this week, no huge worries there. injuries happen. I don't believe he was hurt often in college think it is a little premature for the injury prone label.

fearsomefour

Legend
Grob did not have a good game. Gave up two sacks and struggled generally. One hold seemed bogus, one legit.
Higbee generally is overwhelmed trying to block. He gives up the angles to defenders and is not physical. Not a big suprise for a rookie.
The Seahawks one scoring drive was helped by Ram penalties. An inexcusable lined up offsides vs Westbrookes (WTF!!) and the personal foul on Ogletree. Can debate that flag as legit or not but he has to know that is getting called. Two dumb plays. The Westbrooks offsides was on a third down with an incomplete pass. All in all a great D effort obviously.
How anyone is surprised by Kendricks being productive is beyond me. He is a very good all around TE and has been for years. This is nothing new in his performance.
In terms of using Higbee....use him to attack downfield please.....he adds little as a blocker at this point and anyone can run a little 4 yard in or out. Let him use his size and athletism and attack down field.
Nice to see Austin run some "normal" pass routes. Him being open on crosses/slants is going to be there if he gets a clean release.
Hill played well overall I thought. Even on the long pass late it wasn't bad, the WR made a nice catch. It happens.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Cooper didn't even play that was Britt that dropped that 3rd down ball. also our oline played fine I don't understand people thinking they are just going to shut down the rush every down no one does. they are doing a great job so far. wichman made one mistake when he didn't help on the block up the middle that happens some times. Keenum played well but ya he took 2 sacks that he shouldn't have. I hear all training camp we throw to our tall WR in the endzone then in games we don't even try it? wtf

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Left OT GRob did have his issues yesterday. Hate to see him go backwards but those super quick RDE's of Cliff Avril & rookie Frank Clark who got two sacks yesterday on Case. Rookie Clark also was on the end of several calls against GRob. This is the same main problem that GRob had last season. :( However I will say one of those holding calls was just plain wrong.

So very glad that Boudreau finally made the move go with Cody Wichmann as the fulltime starting Right OG. Sending Jamon Brown to the Bench for the first time since he was drafted. Jamon Brown pass blocking has been seriously lacking in 2016. I still maintain that Jamon Brown is a much better overall OL'er playing LEFT OG post. Since Cody has out played Brown in a very short time @ ORG says something. But not all is lost for Brown since Rodger Saffold is the starter @ OLG. Fisher dressed 8 OL'ers again for the 2nd week in a row. OLT Pace Murphy has yet to be active.

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Cooper was inactive yesterday.
Not so sure on that. I saw Copper sulking after he broke free by a yard or two and case went to the underneath route.

Was someone else wearing 10 yesterday?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I stand corrected regarding Cooper.

He was among the inactives yesterday.

I would have sworn that it was a player wearing #10 that dropped that mentioned pass, but maybe it was #18, instead.

I had even looked up the Ram roster to verify that #10 was, in fact, Cooper.

Somehow, I actually feel better that it wasn't Cooper. Lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope the Rams either, land a top receiver in FA or one develops because Tavon isn't a dominant player and the Rams need someone to share the attention Britt gets. One player, like Alshon could really open up the run game.

I thought the OLine would be further along by this time. I'd trade Bou for Cable in a nanosecond. Cable has a make shift OLine playing as well as the Rams group, in one offseason.

Ogletree and Barron were great in this game.

I hope they can get some running lanes for Gurley soon. He is electric when he gets a little space. That screen pass was awesome.

I'll take Troy Hill and his penalties over Sensebaugh and his non coverage any day of the week. But Gaines can't get healthy soon enough.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I stand corrected regarding Cooper.

He was among the inactives yesterday.

I would have sworn that it was a player wearing #10 that dropped that mentioned pass, but maybe it was #18, instead.

I had even looked up the Ram roster to verify that #10 was, in fact, Cooper.

Somehow, I actually feel better that it wasn't Cooper. Lol.

It's okay Rams43... You were delirious yesterday and with the cold ones you consumed and all the excitement.....

your eyes believed they had seen a Pharoh ;)

tumblr_o7pkxoMhRJ1tvo2c3o1_500.gif

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I wish we could some how trade into the first to take Mike Williams. Britt and Williams would be perfect.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It was Thomas. Thomas burned his defender and got upset.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
Spruce missed zero games in four seasons at Colorado. You can't call a guy injury-prone based on one injury.

lockdnram21

Legend
I hope the Rams either, land a top receiver in FA or one develops because Tavon isn't a dominant player and the Rams need someone to share the attention Britt gets. One player, like Alshon could really open up the run game.

I thought the OLine would be further along by this time. I'd trade Bou for Cable in a nanosecond. Cable has a make shift OLine playing as well as the Rams group, in one offseason.

Ogletree and Barron were great in this game.

I hope they can get some running lanes for Gurley soon. He is electric when he gets a little space. That screen pass was awesome.

I'll take Troy Hill and his penalties over Sensebaugh and his non coverage any day of the week. But Gaines can't get healthy soon enough.
The only way we get a top receiver is draft as long as Fisher here. No top receiver is coming just to block

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Should have scored 6 after that long pass to Kendricks got it inside the 5. Playcalling got conservative instead of going for the jugular. That was weaksauce.

Would like to see some DIFFERENT looks for TG30 other than up the middle or off tackle every Goddamn time.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only way we get a top receiver is draft as long as Fisher here. No top receiver is coming just to block
which pretty much sums up the brian quick experiment. its a fisher sucksess story

FrankenRam

Starter
How anyone is surprised by Kendricks being productive is beyond me. He is a very good all around TE and has been for years. This is nothing new in his performance..

Thank you. His lack of pass catching productivity the last few yr was, IMO, largely due to the failed Cook experiment. He just rarely got targeted. LK was already a decent pass catcher before Cook got here. Granted, he never had the height or speed, but he's always been a nice edition of the traditional TE that may not stretch the field, but is plenty solid in the 8-15yd range.