A few random Monday morning thoughts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Other than for hard core Jet and Ram fans, this game was pretty much unwatchable, huh?

Where to start? [www.nfl.com]

Keenum was 17/30, 165 yards, zero TD's, 9 total points scored. A scrappy try hard QB, for sure, but this looks like his ceiling and it ain't nearly good enough, is it?

By way of comparison, Petty was 19/32 for 163 yards. One TD, but 1 int late which clinched for the Rams. But still...

Gurley showed some signs of life in the 2nd half. Feeding him the ball seems to pay 4th qtr dividends.

Rams enjoyed a 9 minute advantage in TOP. Always a good thing, but one would expect more than 9 points as a result.

Benny gets 6 carries for 40 yards. Gurley 21 carries for 65 yards. Hmmmmm... what do we conclude from that?

The holding call on GRob was BS. I saw several far more "grabby" plays by Tyron Smith in that Cowboy game, for example, that never got a flag. Double standard is alive and well and on full display by the zebras. BTW, is it just me or does it seem that Hochuli's crew has a bias against the Rams? Timing on that call was terrible, costing Gurley his longest run of the year.

Aren't the Rams allowed to include the TE in their passing O? One catch by Kendricks for zero yards? Nothing from Higbee. WTH?

Watching the Cowboy/Steeler game was an eye opener. Reminded me of what a combo of elite RB and OL's that can open a hole looks like (both teams, BTW). And in the case of the Cowboys, what a talented rookie QB can accomplish. Not to mention seeing a team put up 30+ points in an exciting game. I want some of that for our Rams, you know?

I liked what little I saw from Cooper. How about you? Only one catch, but it was for a first down. Couple of nice catches on punts, too. Announcers gave him some love, as well. I know it's heresy, but I think Cooper should get some of Tavon's snaps and targets. I'm serious. We'll get more bang for our buck. I was actually sorry to see Tavon return to the field, TBH.

Speaking of Tavon, 2 catches for 19 yards. Two rushes for 10 yards. No TD's. THIS is a $42 million WR?

Britt snags 7 for 109 yards. First down after first down. He's earning HIS paycheck.

Only 1 catch for Gurley for 8 yards. Two catches for Quick for 16 yards. Ummmmm... can't Keenum see these guys? Or is it on Boras? These two are legit weapons and should be getting more targets, IMO.

Quinn made a couple of plays, but he's not the same force he once was. Not sure if he ever will be at that level again. Funny, the concern was his brain tumor at draft time, not his back. Sigh...

Ram D held the Jets to 6 points, and it was almost not good enough. Think about that for just a moment. Gotta give this D it's props. But geez, is it reasonable to require the D and ST to win the danged games for us? Other than Britt, if I'm an O player I would back up to receive my game check this week.

Hope Joyner is okay. Feisty player that's growing on me.

How the heck did our D allow a 99 yard TD drive to Bryce Petty? I mean, c'mon...

ST showed up, huh? GZ was 3 for 3 and we needed them all, didn't we?

Marquez is a ST stud. Downing that punt on the 1 yard line was a thing of beauty and he made it look easy.

Hekker is All World. I know that this will make je crazy but he's a tremendous weapon. Can flip the field with one kick, like he did in a close game yesterday. Always a threat to get a 1st down via fake punt. A sideline cheerleader. Flawless holder on GZ's kicks. He deserved the game ball. We don't win this game without Hekker's contributions yesterday. Helluva commentary on our pitiful O. Truly a UDFA steal by Snead.

Yeah, we won the game. So why am I feeling so apathetic about it? We're not gonna win our division. And tiebreakers for wild card don't look good for us. Our O is the anchor around this team's neck. I think that Fisher should start the kid on a simplified playbook vs Miami. Not much to lose. Wouldn't be hard for Goff to exceed Keenum's results, would it? Might inject some excitement on O which has been sorely missing. And it will give Goff a rolling head start for next year.

So, what did I miss?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
have some legit concerns. I guess they've been the same concerns all year.

However, are you really bitching that we gave up 6 points, and only 6 points? I mean common our D played lights out yesterday.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It was a road win - and road wins are never easy.

Still, the JETS stink and it was a nail biter.

Our offense continues to be a sad state of affairs out there. It doesn't need better execution, it doesn't need a tweak, it needs to be scrapped. The players can stay - the offense has to go. New system, new OC, all new offense - anything less and I fear we can continue to expect more of the same.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However, are you really bitching that we gave up 6 points, and only 6 points? I mean common our D played lights out yesterday.

I did not read that at all?

Ram D held the Jets to 6 points, and it was almost not good enough. Think about that for just a moment. Gotta give this D it's props. But geez, is it reasonable to require the D and ST to win the danged games for us? Other than Britt, if I'm an O player I would back up to receive my game check this week.

Seems to be giving them props? If it is the comment about the 99 yard TD drive, well it was a 99 yard TD drive!

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think Benny might be better behind this line because he can make sharp cuts and find a hole. Where it seems like Gurley is more straight line runner and if the drawn up play doesn't open a hole where it's supposed to be he has trouble making something happen.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I did not read that at all?

Seems to be giving them props? If it is the comment about the 99 yard TD drive, well it was a 99 yard TD drive!

"How the heck did our D allow a 99 yard TD drive to Bryce Petty? I mean, c'mon..."

Yeah a little bit of bitching to a team that just gave up one TD. That's impressive no matter who you're playing.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Barely beating the Jets isn't exactly inspiring. The Hawks (spit spit spit) beat the Patriots to keep the NFCW distant lead. That would be inspiring.

Gurley showed some signs of life in the 2nd half. Feeding him the ball seems to pay 4th qtr dividends.

He's always been a late game back. Not that the coaching seems to have noticed.

Quite frankly, at this point, I would go heavy Bam Bam the first half and then use a fresh Gurley the second half to take advantage of a tired D.

Benny gets 6 carries for 40 yards. Gurley 21 carries for 65 yards. Hmmmmm... what do we conclude from that?

That @-X- was right?

Could it be. (n)

I liked what little I saw from Cooper. How about you? Only one catch, but it was for a first down. Couple of nice catches on punts, too. Announcers gave him some love, as well. I know it's heresy, but I think Cooper should get some of Tavon's snaps and targets. I'm serious. We'll get more bang for our buck. I was actually sorry to see Tavon return to the field, TBH.

Speaking of Tavon, 2 catches for 19 yards. Two rushes for 10 yards. No TD's. THIS is a $42 million WR?

I'll agree with you on this again. TA as a pure wide receiver isn't working and it's too obvious for the Rams to be so oblivious. He also can't catch a deep ball to save his life. Put him back rushing more, as a decoy for Gurley, and in trick/gimmick plays and he may earn every dollar. TA in the open field is an awesome thing.

But geez, is it reasonable to require the D and ST to win the danged games for us?

It is. We could roll right through the superbowl on their backs. But at 18 to 20 points a game or so, not 15.

Flawless holder on GZ's kicks.

Do they ever fake from the holder position? I don't recall any.

I think that Fisher should start the kid on a simplified playbook vs Miami. Not much to lose.

Yep. And Fisher is even well beyond his normal 3 games behind in decision making. This pitiful win isn't going to help at all. He will see it as validation.

Wouldn't be hard for Goff to exceed Keenum's results, would it?

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe if he had been in from the bye. I'm not looking for Goff to step in and be better right away, but there will be a next season and renewed hope, so give the kid the snaps. :unsure:

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"How the heck did our D allow a 99 yard TD drive to Bryce Petty? I mean, c'mon..."

Yeah a little bit of bitching to a team that just gave up one TD. That's impressive no matter who you're playing.
I think this is what the OP thought of the D
Ram D held the Jets to 6 points, and it was almost not good enough. Think about that for just a moment. Gotta give this D it's props

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Always interested in your thoughts 43

That they're not looking for Benny. I actually thought Benny should've/could've scored on that one run...dive.
As far as sitting Gurley....what'chu talkin bout 43??? Seriously, I think he's starting to come around. I bet he doesn't lose 20 lbs ever again...If we could just get some great plays for him on a consistent basis. And it starts on the interior line. I was watching Martin...and that Center on Dallas....I have to say, Jerry Jones is a fucking genius....And I don't see as many jokes about him on the net as much... They know talent...I think Jamon Brown can play....I've seen Saffold live, he's usually a beast. Havenstein has also shown he's a player...But all 3 have under-achieved....Is someone screwing them up? G-Rob, Barnes, and Wichman need to show they wanna be on this team next season, or I'd be looking to draft their replacements...And I mean, trade their asses for picks...there has to be 3 young men that wanna play in horns running around the SEC, B1G, PAC-12, or ACC. Seriously.

The TE's...well, that's all mister Keenum...he of the 3 yard out pass to the TE...He missed Higbee all game...He's been missing him since pre-season...

Just saw Jerell Adams, great blocker outta SC...I thought we'd grab him with Higbee instead of Hemingway...Just scored for the Giants. Oh well..Strong TE class this year, I hope we grab another one...and scrap Kendricks...I like Kendricks, but I want to win...like now.

Defense played excellent. I still see weaknesses in coverage. Specifically your new crush Joyner...Every play he's in, someone he's on is open. Or getting grabbed. EJ Gaines should be moved to the slot...And lets draft another shutdown corner in the draft.

G-Rob played ok...I concur (I like using that word, reminds me of court & the hospital)...I still think Coach Boudreau isn't on his game anymore...Bigger concerns are Barnes, Saffold, and Wichman/Brown...missing stunts, letting DT's just run by...who the hell designed this scheme? Coach Boo? He's part of the problem...