A few Rams notes on Rotoworld this morning.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
OC Brian Schottenheimer said he'll be moving Tavon Austin around to "a lot of different spots" this season.
"You'll see us hand him the ball, do some different things," Schotty said. "He's playing so much faster just because he knows what we're doing. He has the system down cold." Austin never found a real role as a rookie thanks to dropped passes and an inability to shake loose in small spaces. We wouldn't rule out the light flipping on in Year 2, but last year's tape was so horrifying that we're skeptical. Schottenheimer failed to scheme Austin successfully last year.
Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

Beat writer Jim Thomas suggests OC Brian Schottenheimer's claim that Zac Stacy isn't locked in as the starter was "probably more coachspeak than anything else."
ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner expressed similar thoughts on the matter. Like most good teams throughout the NFL, the Rams are trying to create a sense of competition at every spot -- even at positions were players appear entrenched. Tre Mason's lack of experience in pass protection makes it especially hard to take Schottenheimer seriously at all. We have not adjusted Stacy's status as a borderline RB1 since the comments.
Related: Tre Mason
Jun 23 - 8:53 AM

Isaiah Pead is expected to dress every week for the Rams due to his play on special teams.
When Pead fell out of the backfield mix last year, he went to special teams John Fassel and asked to run down kicks. He ended up excelling in that role over the final seven games, giving him a strong shot at this year's final roster. Pead will also try to beat out Benny Cunningham and win the third-string running back job behind Zac Stacy and Tre Mason.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I really hope Pead has his shit together. So much talent. Having him as a weapon out of the backfield would be huge, and I'm still not sold on Benny.

Pead can catch passes and pass-block, and I for one wouldn't be disappointed if he manages to wrest the top dog spot away from Stacy (who I love, but a strong RB corps requires constant battling and multiple starting-caliber guys).

No idea what to expect out of Mason just now. His lack of pass-blocking experience worries me tremendously, although I trust in Snead and Fisher to build out good roster talent.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hey DCH
Pead can run a lil bit too..His problem was showing up late to meetings, and not getting after it and staying late after practice. Seems he's got his head on straight, maybe able to make a run at the RB spot and if injuries pop up, look out......

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im also still holding out hope Pead can be what we all thought he would be when we drafted him. Hes the fastest and most elusive RB we have on our roster. Hes also the best pass blocker and catcher we have at RB. If the kid can finally figure it all out and get his head on straight he can earn himself alot of touches.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Im also still holding out hope Pead can be what we all thought he would be when we drafted him. Hes the fastest and most elusive RB we have on our roster. Hes also the best pass blocker and catcher we have at RB. If the kid can finally figure it all out and get his head on straight he can earn himself alot of touches.
It would be ideal if he could win some playing time on third downs, still think he could be the best option there. He can block, catch, and he is our fastest RB. The minute he puts the ball on the ground, though, he's done.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think Pead is on thin ice this year, fellas.

Time to ignore his draft position. We're waaaaay past that point now.

If ST play is his only hope to provide roster justifying value, then he's probably a goner.

There appears to be 3 quality RB's ahead of him now. Picking Mason in the 3rd speaks volumes about the coaching staff's perception of Pead as a future Ram RB.

Apparently he's not even tradeable. They tried without success. Other teams know he's gonna be a camp cut.

He's had his 2 years to shine and he's come up far short. RB's typically can start immediately if they have the mental and physical tools. Pead didn't.

And there will be no shortage of other players ready and willing to play ST in Pead's place for Fassel.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay - Tavon's rookie season isn't what was hoped. But "horrifying"?

tumblr_m81efoicir1r927dro1_500-gif.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If ST play is his only hope to provide roster justifying value, then he's probably a goner.

There appears to be 3 quality RB's ahead of him now. Picking Mason in the 3rd speaks volumes about the coaching staff's perception of Pead as a future Ram RB.

Apparently he's not even tradeable. They tried without success. Other teams know he's gonna be a camp cut.

He's had his 2 years to shine and he's come up far short. RB's typically can start immediately if they have the mental and physical tools. Pead didn't.

And there will be no shortage of other players ready and willing to play ST in Pead's place for Fassel.

Pretty much how I see Pead too.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Let's ignore his draft position. The Rams will keep at least 4 running backs. Nobody else going for the fourth spot is likely to outperform him running with the ball, catching the ball, and picking up blitzers. Add in that he doesn't just play ST - he apparently is viewed as one of the best ST players on the team. They may not resign him when his contract is up, but there's no reason to cut him, unless he actually is, you know, beaten out by at least 4 running backs. Since he's the best ST player of any RB on the team, is the best blocker, possibly the best receiver out of the back field - and has raw rushing talent too it will be hard for a UDFA to beat his total package. That's not valuing him as a 2nd rounder - but just the player he actually is.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

Could be, sure. I'm pulling for him because his raw talent, if he gets it together, is better than any other RB on the roster. Also because I like how he remade his image last year with special teams grunt work.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
As a rookie, Tavon Austin had 1247 all purpose yards and 6 TDs. I personally don't find that all that disappointing. Would people feel better if he had more receiving yards and fewer return yards?

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Could be, sure. I'm pulling for him because his raw talent, if he gets it together, is better than any other RB on the roster. Also because I like how he remade his image last year with special teams grunt work.

Pead is going to turn some heads this year. I think he will be one of the best third down backs in the league by the time the dust settles. If his attitude is right, he can do it all.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
As a rookie, Tavon Austin had 1247 all purpose yards and 6 TDs. I personally don't find that all that disappointing. Would people feel better if he had more receiving yards and fewer return yards?
Actually, that might help a lot. All-purpose yards are by nature inflated for guys who return punts and kicks along with being in the regular offense. I like Austin a lot and loved how he came on prior to the injury - and the 6 TDs were very awesome no matter how you cut it - but the yardage was less than impressive. I really would like for his return yards to be less than half of his all-purpose yardage.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"...but last year's tape was so horrifying that we're skeptical."
zX1qLfC.gif
Happy Birthday, dude. I hope that .gif is a representation of how you're going to spend your evening.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Happy Birthday, dude. I hope that .gif is a representation of how you're going to spend your evening.
Been there and done that waaay too many times I'd like to admit!
I'll settle for some Ensure and an episode of Matlock!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and an inability to shake loose in small spaces

are they freaking kidding me. those small spaces were surrounded by four defenders. i don't know the people rotoworld employ to do these write ups but they must not know much about football. they know alot about boxscores.