A few Ram predraft head scratchers...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here we are, 10 days before the draft with the following unanswered questions. At least in my mind.

Why no FA at ROT? Seems to be the lynchpin of our entire draft strategy.

Have they moved on from Barks? They like several rookies better as upgrades? If so, are they prepared to pick them at #10?

How certain are they that they can swing a trade down to get better value for a rookie ROT? Feelers from other teams, maybe?

Are they planning on one of Jones, Rhaney, or Barnes as our starter at C? Doesn't that seem a bit risky for a HC that is risk averse on his Offenses?

And if they're gonna roll with one of the youngsters for opening day, where was that confidence in them late last year when they kept trotting out Wells and Joseph?

Speaking of Joseph, Wagoner delicately reminds us that Joseph was signed last year post draft, and that is likely now to be the case again for FA signings on our OL this year. After picking my jaw off the floor, I have to ask the obvious question. How did that work out for us last year?

Are they seriously contemplating starting as many as 3 rookies on our OL this year? To complement the one whole year of experience of GRob plus Saffold coming back from shoulder surgery? 'Cause frankly, that's the way the current tea leaves are reading.

Here's a hypothetical question. Let's just say they have Petty rated as a 3rd round value, just for the sake of example. Say, somewhere in the 70's. But they think he'll be gone unless they pick him at our #41. What do they do? What should they do?

So... Are we transitioning from Snead's "go bold" philosophy of picking BPA with highest ceiling to more of a need based strategy to plug our OL with picks as early as #10 overall?

Like I said... Lot's of head scratchers, huh?

Can anyone help clear any of this up?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think we picked up Turner and Smith post draft the year we got them. That worked out decently. It's not ideal to pick up FA olinemen post draft but it can work.

JT threw out in a chat that Blalock could sign post draft (and it was interesting that he mentioned him). I could see a situation where we pick up an OT starter in the draft, move on from Barks and just sign Blalock for a starting gig at LG. I'm not sure that's not the better scenario.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think we picked up Turner and Smith post draft the year we got them. That worked out decently. It's not ideal to pick up FA olinemen post draft but it can work.

JT threw out in a chat that Blalock could sign post draft (and it was interesting that he mentioned him). I could see a situation where we pick up an OT starter in the draft, move on from Barks and just sign Blalock for a starting gig at LG. I'm not sure that's not the better scenario.
That kinda is what I envision as not too bad of strategy except I'd hate to pass on BPA at 10 to do it. It can be done with a trade down but just about EVERYBODY wants to trade down and then what if there is an early run on OTs? Risky business.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I liked Turner, Smith, not so much. That said I really would like to see the Rams pick up Blalock " pre-draft "! It would make our draft plans easier IMHO!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The situation we are in is not ideal. We NEEDED an authentic developmental QB last year (Gilbert didn't count), for the very reason that we need one this year. What if Bradford/Foles gets injured early? We got Case Keenum and Austin Davis backing up Nick Foles, whose season ended last year due to injury......We need a 3rd round QB like Mannion or even earlier with Petty or Hundley...At least if disaster comes and our season is ruined with Foles getting injured, we can get the new guy some playing time to see what we have. Chicken or egg? Yes, we need Oline too...badly. Trading down for value is easy to say now, but like another said, EVERYONE wants to do that.

We are in trouble.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The situation we are in is not ideal. We NEEDED an authentic developmental QB last year (Gilbert didn't count), for the very reason that we need one this year. What if Bradford/Foles gets injured early? We got Case Keenum and Austin Davis backing up Nick Foles, whose season ended last year due to injury......We need a 3rd round QB like Mannion or even earlier with Petty or Hundley...At least if disaster comes and our season is ruined with Foles getting injured, we can get the new guy some playing time to see what we have. Chicken or egg? Yes, we need Oline too...badly. Trading down for value is easy to say now, but like another said, EVERYONE wants to do that.

We are in trouble.

A bit off subject, but I wouldn't mind if the Rams didn't draft a QB in the top few rounds this year. It's just not that strong of a draft class at the position. Besides, many say that the team should have or should get a developmental QB almost as if it's guaranteed that said prospect will actually amount to something.

However, for every Russell Wilson or Andy Dalton, there are about 10 Jimmy Clausens or Colt McCoys.:(

WestCoastRam

Legend
That kinda is what I envision as not too bad of strategy except I'd hate to pass on BPA at 10 to do it. It can be done with a trade down but just about EVERYBODY wants to trade down and then what if there is an early run on OTs? Risky business.

There's depth at OT and I don't know that Barksdale's so great that we can't pick up a Haverstein to replace him. Also, Saffold can move to RT.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The Rams have shown that their number one priority is to put the 5 best olinemen up at any time. I think that trumps keeping Saffold at any one position. And I think that having Saffold means they'll be picking BPA when it comes to OT and OG. Think the only position that won't really change is Robinson at LT. I wouldn't pin Saffold down right now. He'll play RG, LG or RT depending on who we get in the draft.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The Rams have shown that their number one priority is to put the 5 best olinemen up at any time. I think that trumps keeping Saffold at any one position. And I think that having Saffold means they'll be picking BPA when it comes to OT and OG. Think the only position that won't really change is Robinson at LT. I wouldn't pin Saffold down right now. He'll play RG, LG or RT depending on who we get in the draft.
God forbid we have to play Saffold at tackle... :sick:

jap

Legend
God forbid we have to play Saffold at tackle... :sick:

Yep. Even though the sample size is small, the greater range of movements at tackle seems to put more stress on his body. The same might be true of Big Bad Jake, although I am not crazy about the idea of have Jake eat into our cap space once more.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Here we are, 10 days before the draft with the following unanswered questions. At least in my mind.

Are they planning on one of Jones, Rhaney, or Barnes as our starter at C? Doesn't that seem a bit risky for a HC that is risk averse on his Offenses?

And if they're gonna roll with one of the youngsters for opening day, where was that confidence in them late last year when they kept trotting out Wells and Joseph?

I think they have pretty much shown they do indeed plan on going with one of the 3. As to why they didn't "show any confidence in them last year when they kept trotting out Wells and Joseph?" It had nothing to do with a lack of confidence. It had EVERYTHING to do with the FACT that all 3 were injured.

Jones had back surgery in August and was rendered virtually helpless for 10 weeks following the surgery. All the off season strength and conditioning work he had done was voided, and he never really was back to being 100% at any point during the season.

Rhaney suffered a knee injury the last week of the preseason, and was placed on Injured Reserve, ending his season.

And Tim Barnes started the season with a pinched nerve in his neck, then injured his shoulder, followed by bruised ribs in mid season (which forced him to miss 3 games).

Playing Wells and Joseph, only exaggerates the point that none of these guys were really available, and seeing that Mike Person played more than his fair share should prove that point. He was clearly #10 on the depth chart among O-linemen, and yet, was forced into more action than they would have imagined.

Barnes comes back for his 4th training camp, and IMO, is the early favorite going into camp to win the Center job. They could do a lot worse than him. You can see my previous posts in the thread about him of a couple of weeks ago for my feelings on him.

But, all 3 of these guys, Barnes, Jones and Rhaney can play both Center and Guard. So I think they will all be guys that are being counted on moving forward.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a hypothetical question. Let's just say they have Petty rated as a 3rd round value, just for the sake of example. Say, somewhere in the 70's. But they think he'll be gone unless they pick him at our #41. What do they do? What should they do?

Take Garrett Grayson wherever they need to...because he's better. :p

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Not worried about his performance there but he did seem to get injured/dinged up at OT more than OG. I'd rather play it safe with him.
Definitely, I think he's a good tackle just has absolutely no durability at the position and is suited better at guard.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Considering Saffold played lights out at RG putting him anywhere else is not a smart move.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Are they seriously contemplating starting as many as 3 rookies on our OL this year? To complement the one whole year of experience of GRob plus Saffold coming back from shoulder surgery? 'Cause frankly, that's the way the current tea leaves are reading.
Color me very concerned at this point.

thehammer

Rookie
people need to remember this is a weak draft....hard to find prospects better then Bond(might be a slow learner but he does have talent), Rhaney, Barnes, Jones and Garrett Reynolds
especially center prospects.

free agents don't want to play on losing teams...

free agents signed after May 5(I think) don't count against next years comp picks calculations

almost zero interest around the league on Barksdale....the old "addition by subtraction" line by Branch Rickey comes to mind

btw anyone else notice we didn't bring in 2 of the most talented/athletic olinemen in this draft Donovan Smith and Jarvis Harrison... ..Boudreau is an old school, my way or the highway type of coach...not sure that helps their recruiting or the players they are scouting and might explain why both Barnes and Barksdale went looking for new teams

posted after we signed Reynolds that he might become our starter at guard.....best guess we will go Rhaney/Barnes or Jones at center and sign one free agent after that May 5 date and draft one olineman high in the draft and he starts day 1...maybe we draft Flowers and sign Blaylock....?

not worried about the oline that will sort itself out..real curious about the qb position..the Rams future rides with Snead/Fisher finding their qb.

not to steal this thread but want to see scary look at all the official pre draft visits under Fisher/Snead....Tom Savage was last years answer to back up Bradford. After looking at the obvious 1st rd guys most of the 2nd-5th rd types have been awful(which is why I brought up Donovan Smith and Jarvis Harrison not being brought in).. Anyway we will all know soon enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
people need to remember this is a weak draft....hard to find prospects better then Bond(might be a slow learner but he does have talent), Rhaney, Barnes, Jones and Garrett Reynolds
especially center prospects.

free agents don't want to play on losing teams...

free agents signed after May 5(I think) don't count against next years comp picks calculations

almost zero interest around the league on Barksdale....the old "addition by subtraction" line by Branch Rickey comes to mind

btw anyone else notice we didn't bring in 2 of the most talented/athletic olinemen in this draft Donovan Smith and Jarvis Harrison... ..Boudreau is an old school, my way or the highway type of coach...not sure that helps their recruiting or the players they are scouting and might explain why both Barnes and Barksdale went looking for new teams

posted after we signed Reynolds that he might become our starter at guard.....best guess we will go Rhaney/Barnes or Jones at center and sign one free agent after that May 5 date and draft one olineman high in the draft and he starts day 1...maybe we draft Flowers and sign Blaylock....?

not worried about the oline that will sort itself out..real curious about the qb position..the Rams future rides with Snead/Fisher finding their qb.

not to steal this thread but want to see scary look at all the official pre draft visits under Fisher/Snead....Tom Savage was last years answer to back up Bradford. After looking at the obvious 1st rd guys most of the 2nd-5th rd types have been awful(which is why I brought up Donovan Smith and Jarvis Harrison not being brought in).. Anyway we will all know soon enough.

I just don't get why that would stop us. Blalock and Barksdale wouldn't count in the calculation since Barksdale played here and Blalock was cut. As far as other OLs go, we've already signed Fairley, Ayers, and Reynolds. Who have we lost? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. So we aren't going to get a comp pick either ways.