A few preliminary thoughts after reading camp reports of first 2 practices...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Obviously, two practices is a limited sample from which to draw any meaningful conclusions. But I'm antsy, okay? Lol.

And CoachO (my personal favorite) has yet to post anything as yet. I understand that he will be posting sometime after the conclusion of the Sunday practice as to his impressions from all 3 practices. Can't wait.

But here are the general player reviews from beat writers, pundits, and camp reporters that I've read...

Encouraging...

Foles
Mannion
Havenstein
Brown (strongly encouraging)
Cook
Britt
Quick (pretty danged strongly)
Bailey
Entire DL (including rookies and Worthington)
Ayers
McLeod
McDonald
Rodriguez (rookie Seal UDFA)

Underwhelming (so far)

Davis
Keenum
GRob
Barnes
Jones
Tavon

Again, waaaaay too soon to draw any legitimate conclusions, much less panic.

But I would be lying to you if I didn't admit that I'm disappointed with what I've read and heard about both Barnes and Jones at C thus far.

OTOH, there have been pleasant flashes reported regarding various UDFA's. I suspect that we might see 2-3 of them make the final 53 again this year.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Thanks for the write up and summary. I think you captured the overall impressions very well.

I feel the need to point out an error that many are making regarding Rodriguez (Rodriguez (rookie Seal UDFA))...he is an Army veteran who achieved the rank of Sergeant and awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for valor. He is not a SEAL.

No disrespect was intended by me or the OP in reporting this but I know an Army Vet would never want to be confused with a squid.

Take care....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the write up and summary. I think you captured the overall impressions very well.

I feel the need to point out an error that many are making regarding Rodriguez (Rodriguez (rookie Seal UDFA))...he is an Army veteran who achieved the rank of Sergeant and awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for valor. He is not a SEAL.

No disrespect was intended by me or the OP in reporting this but I know an Army Vet would never want to be confused with a squid.

Take care....

OOPS!

Thanks for the correction, Veteran RamFan.

I merely repeated what I had seen posted elsewhere.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah, everyone at TC calls him a seal. I couldn't remember.

There's no doubt he's a standout at this point. He has a MOTOR on him. He was fielding punts like he did it all his life (no returns) and caught every catchable pass. He got called over several times for autographs.

I don't mean to overstate him, he's a longshot, but he's definitely getting noticed.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Rodriguez is a great camp story...good luck to him and all the other rookies.

If he's as dedicated off the field as he is on the field, I would be shocked if he doesn't have a practice squad spot locked up.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If he's as dedicated off the field as he is on the field, I would be shocked if he doesn't have a practice squad spot locked up.
Random question, who would you say the fastest guy on the team is from watching practice?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yeah, everyone at TC calls him a seal. I couldn't remember.

There's no doubt he's a standout at this point. He has a MOTOR on him. He was fielding punts like he did it all his life (no returns) and caught every catchable pass. He got called over several times for autographs.

I don't mean to overstate him, he's a longshot, but he's definitely getting noticed.

The Rams take a special emphasis in having those core STers, so maybe he can work his way onto that for a roster spot. He has a great story and great heart, and if he can back that up with some nice play, I would be ecstatic. I want him to make the roster so bad.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The Rams take a special emphasis in having those core STers, so maybe he can work his way onto that for a roster spot. He has a great story and great heart, and if he can back that up with some nice play, I would be ecstatic. I want him to make the roster so bad.

It was definitely a good sign, in my mind, that he was fielding punts with Tavon. The fact that Garcia stayed on the field after to throw to him and a few others was cool.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify

Take care....
Damn, sorry about that and thanks for the correction. I sure wouldn't want to insult an entire branch of the US military.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Obviously, two practices is a limited sample from which to draw any meaningful conclusions. But I'm antsy, okay? Lol.

And CoachO (my personal favorite) has yet to post anything as yet. I understand that he will be posting sometime after the conclusion of the Sunday practice as to his impressions from all 3 practices. Can't wait.

But here are the general player reviews from beat writers, pundits, and camp reporters that I've read...

Encouraging...

Foles
Mannion
Havenstein
Brown (strongly encouraging)
Cook
Britt
Quick (pretty danged strongly)
Bailey
Entire DL (including rookies and Worthington)
Ayers
McLeod
McDonald
Rodriguez (rookie Seal UDFA)

Underwhelming (so far)

Davis
Keenum
GRob
Barnes
Jones
Tavon

Again, waaaaay too soon to draw any legitimate conclusions, much less panic.

But I would be lying to you if I didn't admit that I'm disappointed with what I've read and heard about both Barnes and Jones at C thus far.

OTOH, there have been pleasant flashes reported regarding various UDFA's. I suspect that we might see 2-3 of them make the final 53 again this year.

Any news of Rhaney?

iced

Damn, sorry about that and thanks for the correction. I sure wouldn't want to insult an entire branch of the US military.

lol don't worry the branches always joke around with each other and are very prideful of their jobs. A SEAL would never want to be confused with an Army either.

Hell I was a Seabee but I never want to be associated with the Navy because the very first thing people think of is being on a ship or the Fleet, which I never saw either one of those (and we call them 'Fleeters' obviously)

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame

It's possible that you might get your wish, DYVKX.

Givens, IMO, is no lock to make the 53, for example.

Gotta love what we're hearing about Rodriguez' hands and no drops. What good is Givens' speed if he can't get open or hang onto the damned ball?

Rodriguez, or maybe some other might just replace Givens this year. I would love to see our 5th WR upgraded, and I don't think I'm alone.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
lol don't worry the branches always joke around with each other and are very prideful of their jobs. A SEAL would never want to be confused with an Army either.

Hell I was a Seabee but I never want to be associated with the Navy because the very first thing people think of is being on a ship or the Fleet, which I never saw either one of those (and we call them 'Fleeters' obviously)

Iced, no truer words have ever been spoken! I have a buddy who was in the Seabee's and he also never saw a ship or so much as the ocean. Spent his whole four years stationed in Alaska, inland.

I always liked the Navy. Whenever us grunts needed stuff moved around the world we would call on the Navy. Nice little transportation business they have going.

iced

Iced, no truer words have ever been spoken! I have a buddy who was in the Seabee's and he also never saw a ship or so much as the ocean. Spent his whole four years stationed in Alaska, inland.

I always liked the Navy. Whenever us grunts needed stuff moved around the world we would call on the Navy. Nice little transportation business they have going.

The Seabee business is even better..can't tell ya how many little "Side projects" and shit we did for guys...whenever Spec Ops got word of us, that's when we get the awesome rewards.. can't beat a flown in frozen steak in afghanistan lol

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Curious, what has G-Rob done to make you feel this way? This is from what you've seen? Also, what has Tavon done?

My lists were strictly from reading camp reports and beat writer's articles, Champ.

I live in SoCal, too. About 1800 miles away from Rams Park.

As to GRob, I think I may have overreacted. When I think about it, I seem to recall that he and Quinn took turns blowing each other up.

My bad.