A few pre-FA thoughts now that the Stafford trade talk dust has settled...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Several things...

I just love JJ, but the money for him just isn’t there AND we are deep at S if he walks. Too many other positions need those cap dollars.

It’s possible that Hav’s replacement (even overall upgrade) is already on the roster. Boom, Evans, or Edwards?

Burgess is gonna be a starter this year. Might be nickel, might be at S, but he’s no longer a backup with Hill and JJ departing. Bank it.

Our secondary is gonna be Top 5 at least, even with the 2 departures.

Hav could be traded for player or pick. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit, in fact I make it better than 50-50 likely.

C will be addressed one way or another. I favor a Sully type FA for the short term, but they may use their 2nd on C if one of their targets falls. Stay tuned.

I expect a hungry FA to be signed as Floyd’s replacement and next in line to benefit from the AD Effect. And another edge player drafted among our top 3 picks, as well.

As to the much desired deep threat WR? I just don’t know what they’re thinking. Maybe they think Stafford could ignite a guy already on the roster? Maybe an inexpensive FA (Emphasis inexpensive). Or maybe a 4th-7th pick?

I expect a RB drafted on Day 3. Brown will be gone and they haven’t given Xavier Jones a single snap yet despite multiple injuries to Akers and Hendy. Not exactly a huge vote of confidence, you know?

Brockers could well be traded away in a cap move. Again, player or pick, depending. This cap dollars are really needed elsewhere.

Might see a surprise ILB pick for Morris earlier than expected. Just depends on if value/need intersect nicely.

A better blocking TE might also be on their radar, too. Can never have too many good TE’s and we all know that Everett is a goner.

We should brace ourselves for the strong possibility that Rams will do some extensive restructuring to get down to the new lower cap and still be able to make modest FA moves. Otherwise, their hands will be tied, don’t you think?

This is reportedly a deep draft, so don’t discount the possibility that Snead might trade down a time or two on Day 2 or 3. Not exactly a stunning prediction, I know. Lol.

Don’t know if they’re gonna draft a backup QB now. McVay likes Wolford and Perkins behind Stafford, I think.

Well, those are my highlights. Expect the unexpected with Snead/McVay.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm sure they have a plan laid out. I cannot wait to see it. I do think a lot of players will be taking one year deals because of the covid cap. I also believe so.e people will want to take less to come here either long term or short term especially edge guys. One guy who we have always discussed now seems to understand he got greedy and must re-establish himself is Clowney. He is projected on different sites to receive a 1 year contract at 6.5 million. That dude has rams written all over him for the sole fact that he no fool he will put up career best in sacks next to AD if he can stay healthy. Melvin Ingram also might have incentive he might swap places with Floyd. Wants to stay home in LA a veteran tired of losing playing next to AD as well could be another bargain get.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Several things...

I just love JJ, but the money for him just isn’t there AND we are deep at S if he walks. Too many other positions need those cap dollars. -Snead has said the cap is flexible. If they want him there is a chance

It’s possible that Hav’s replacement (even overall upgrade) is already on the roster. Boom, Evans, or Edwards? - If I hear Noteboom suggested as a starter again, my head will pop. Plus Havenstein is affordable.

Burgess is gonna be a starter this year. Might be nickel, might be at S, but he’s no longer a backup with Hill and JJ departing. Bank it. - I can't bank on anything. Especially with a new DC. 50/50

Our secondary is gonna be Top 5 at least, even with the 2 departures. - I don't see how. What if both corners leave? Long doesn't inspire. Maybe Toothpick can develop quickly.

Hav could be traded for player or pick. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit, in fact I make it better than 50-50 likely. - this is fan speculation. Even odds. Many felt Woods would be traded last year

C will be addressed one way or another. I favor a Sully type FA for the short term, but they may use their 2nd on C if one of their targets falls. Stay tuned. - if McVay feels he has a Super Bowl roster, I'd imagine a veteran is his first choice. I'd love a trade for Ragnow if no FAs work out

I expect a hungry FA to be signed as Floyd’s replacement and next in line to benefit from the AD Effect. And another edge player drafted among our top 3 picks, as well. - Seems like a pattern

As to the much desired deep threat WR? I just don’t know what they’re thinking. Maybe they think Stafford could ignite a guy already on the roster? Maybe an inexpensive FA (Emphasis inexpensive). Or maybe a 4th-7th pick? - again, if the window is wide open do they really rely on a rookie? He'd have to be an instant contributor. Not impossible but less likely.

I expect a RB drafted on Day 3. Brown will be gone and they haven’t given Xavier Jones a single snap yet despite multiple injuries to Akers and Hendy. Not exactly a huge vote of confidence, you know? - or they keep Malcolm since he's cheap. picking RB three consecutive years is a lot of draft capital on a one player position. Some good ones were found as UDFAs recently.

Brockers could well be traded away in a cap move. Again, player or pick, depending. This cap dollars are really needed elsewhere. - team leader that had a good season. Maybe restructure and keep?

Might see a surprise ILB pick for Morris earlier than expected. Just depends on if value/need intersect nicely. - I'd have no objections

A better blocking TE might also be on their radar, too. Can never have too many good TE’s and we all know that Everett is a goner. - Other teams seem to find decent TEs in mid rounds. Come on Les!

We should brace ourselves for the strong possibility that Rams will do some extensive restructuring to get down to the new lower cap and still be able to make modest FA moves. Otherwise, their hands will be tied, don’t you think? - totally expect this as a given. They will use 'wide open window' as incentive

This is reportedly a deep draft, so don’t discount the possibility that Snead might trade down a time or two on Day 2 or 3. Not exactly a stunning prediction, I know. Lol. - always a possibility but I hope not. That collecting of sixth round picks a few years ago seemed like a waste. Preferably they have a player they value at a position of need, future OLT, future Center/G, ILB, OLB, Corner and pick him.

Don’t know if they’re gonna draft a backup QB now. McVay likes Wolford and Perkins behind Stafford, I think. - I don't see why he moves on from Wolford. He trusted him to start against the Cards and Seahawks in big games.

Well, those are my highlights. Expect the unexpected with Snead/McVay.

Like most teams in the off-season they will try to shore up the weak areas with free agents before the draft. I hope Blythe is not in the plans.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams get a FA center, I believe they will address the LB situation in the second. I agree with the majority of your post!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think this year more than others, additional free agents will shake lose due to the cap dropping. Those that are cut aren't part of the compensatory pick calculations and so hold a bit more value to the new teams. I bet we sign a guy who is currently on a team already.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thoughts:

QB - Stafford/Wolford - our record with Wolford is 1-0, no reason to do anything at QB unless they love a guy

RB - Akers/Hendo/Jones/Calais - McVay has a serious aversion to rookie RBs because of pass pro - and we like giving guys a "redshirt" year (Kiser, SJD) - were also very intentional with our practice squad - I imagine they kept those two for a reason. Unless someone falls that they love.

WR - Woods/Kupp/VJ/Jackson/Koski/Webster - I expect Webster to be cut and replaced by a FA, then likely a midround pick as well to compete with the two kids

TE - Higbee/Hopkins/Mundt or Blanton - if we don't sign Mundt, I think an UFA to compete with Blanton - don't see a draft pick here unless they love someone

OL - Whitworth/Evans/Corbett/Edwards/Hav/Noteboom/Anchrum - I expect a FA and a draft pick here

DL - AD/SJD/Brockers/A'Shawn/Gaines/Hoecht - hoping we can keep Fox, but either way don't expect much here

EDGE - Hollins/Lewis/Obo - expect both a FA and a draft pick

ILB - Kiser/Young/Reeder/Howard - Tampa's secondary was thoroughly average but having arguably the best LB duo in the NFL helped them to get a Super Bowl. It's time - either a trade, pick or FA

CB - Ramsey/Williams/Deayon/Long - assuming JJ is gone and Burgess plays S, we will need to add a CB

S - Burgess/Fuller/Rapp/Scott - if Burgess plays NCB, we would need a S

Priority:

OL
EDGE
ILB
CB/S
WR

I would sign a FA C and EDGE, draft WR/DB late and either trade for or prioritize ILB in the draft. Then draft another OL and EDGE in the third round. DB and WR late.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of y’all think Everett is gone but the Stafford pick up literally saved him. I think Everett if he stays has a monster year

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I think the 2nd rounder will be edge or LB. I think this draft will skew defense.

dang

Legend
Some of y’all think Everett is gone but the Stafford pick up literally saved him. I think Everett if he stays has a monster year
can’t block. check. drops passes. check. fumbles. check. does run well after the catch. sign him up for vet minimum.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
can’t block. check. drops passes. check. fumbles. check. does run well after the catch. sign him up for vet minimum.
I have to respectfully disagree here.

Everett is not a strong run-blocker but he is not an in-line TE either. He is more of a move/slot TE; and given that, I think he is a decent run-blocker.

He will occasionally drop one in the hands but he also makes some very good catches away from his body.

I didn’t think he had a problem with fumbles, and checked career stats. Two sources had Everett with just two lost fumbles in four seasons.

Finally, I think Everett is very good after-the-catch.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to respectfully disagree here.

Everett is not a strong run-blocker but he is not an in-line TE either. He is more of a move/slot TE; and given that, I think he is a decent run-blocker.

He will occasionally drop one in the hands but he also makes some very good catches away from his body.

I didn’t think he had a problem with fumbles, and checked career stats. Two sources had Everett with just two lost fumbles in four seasons.

Finally, I think Everett is very good after-the-catch.

I've always been a fan of his and would love to sign him cheap if he doesn't have a market. But if a team is willing to pay him we shouldn't spend more than $3 million on him, and only that if we end up with the space.

Always felt this board was weirdly hard on him - he was literally the sixth option on offense in 2018 yet produced the game winning TD against the Chiefs and his catch and run against the Saints on a huge 3rd down in the 4th quarter of the NFCCG was arguably the biggest play of the game.

Definitely struggled more with drops this year but I think he only had a out 2 per year before this season so I'd be willing to bring him back

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I've always been a fan of his and would love to sign him cheap if he doesn't have a market. But if a team is willing to pay him we shouldn't spend more than $3 million on him, and only that if we end up with the space.

Always felt this board was weirdly hard on him - he was literally the sixth option on offense in 2018 yet produced the game winning TD against the Chiefs and his catch and run against the Saints on a huge 3rd down in the 4th quarter of the NFCCG was arguably the biggest play of the game.

Definitely struggled more with drops this year but I think he only had a out 2 per year before this season so I'd be willing to bring him back
I think he does much better than $3M-per.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm sure they have a plan laid out. I cannot wait to see it. I do think a lot of players will be taking one year deals because of the covid cap. I also believe so.e people will want to take less to come here either long term or short term especially edge guys. One guy who we have always discussed now seems to understand he got greedy and must re-establish himself is Clowney. He is projected on different sites to receive a 1 year contract at 6.5 million. That dude has rams written all over him for the sole fact that he no fool he will put up career best in sacks next to AD if he can stay healthy. Melvin Ingram also might have incentive he might swap places with Floyd. Wants to stay home in LA a veteran tired of losing playing next to AD as well could be another bargain get.

I actually like Clowney in that role. I think he's basically a better Floyd at that rate insofar as about the same in the run D and a better pass rusher. Also like Ingram in that role; better at pass rush than Floyd, not quite as solid in Run D.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I expect a hungry FA to be signed as Floyd’s replacement and next in line to benefit from the AD Effect. And another edge player drafted among our top 3 picks, as well.

Man... I want Floyd back, but yeah... this is the model to keep using.

I would never have guessed Everett would be back, but he might be smart trying to stay... build his resume here. Then try to cash in.

He’s not exactly spring boarding into FA like he hoped, is my guess.

TexasRam

Legend

You forgot one... gets penalized in critical moments. Check.

Everett will be addition by subtraction.

I expect a noticeable dropoff in our secondary due to the loss of JJ. I can see Burgess handling Hill's duties but would be surprised if he duplicated JJ's level of play. I would dip early into FA for a safety. I am not even convinced we will keep Williams.

Agree the Havs and Brock may odd men out for cap reasons. I think Edwards has a good chance of manning RT.

If we can finally get some impact ILB that would be splendid.

dang

Legend

I was unreasonably tough on him in my response. It’s because I saw him as the next Shannon Sharpe. He has had great moments but something is holding him back and I think it’s his focus vs his talent.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I actually like Clowney in that role. I think he's basically a better Floyd at that rate insofar as about the same in the run D and a better pass rusher. Also like Ingram in that role; better at pass rush than Floyd, not quite as solid in Run D.
Will throw in Ryan Kerrigan.

Don’t see Clowney playing for $6.5M but I never figured the Rams would find $13M to pay Floyd, so maybe.

DeaconJones

Rookie
QB - Stafford/Wolford - our record with Wolford is 1-0, no reason to do anything at QB unless they love a guy

John Wolford in 2 career games has started more playoff games won that Stafford has in 12 years. Wolford has also started more road playoff games won than the Detroit Lions teams have over the last 63 years.

But seriously, I am happy with this combination. If Wolford has to step due to injury we can at least have some confidence that he can do the job.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Wolford has yet to score in the NFL so I'm not that confident in his abilities just yet.
We do know that he can throw an interception and get knocked out of the game though.