A Few More Things to Like about Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
-Progressions, he's not locking onto one guy. That's significant because it was a regular complaint on Bradford for several seasons. Bradford did get better about it, but Davis is way ahead.

-Davis looked amazing scrambling and buying time, very impressive.

- Great job running the PA. He ran it great.

Of course, Cowboys defense sucks out loud. I'm willing to hold onto the horses to see if he can torch Seattle.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Dallas defense may not be among the best in the NFL but it still a NFL defense that he played against and did well.If it were easy any Johnny come lately would do,it will get harder with the upcoming teams were playing.So I'm curious to see if he keeps and maintains his poise against better defenses like San Francisco and Seattle provided he's allowed to play against them of course.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
-Progressions, he's not locking onto one guy. That's significant because it was a regular complaint on Bradford for several seasons. Bradford did get better about it, but Davis is way ahead.

-Davis looked amazing scrambling and buying time, very impressive.

- Great job running the PA. He ran it great.

Of course, Cowboys defense sucks out loud. I'm willing to hold onto the horses to see if he can torch Seattle.
After seeing what happened in Washington Thursday night, I'm a little afraid of putting an in-experienced QB in against the '8 Head-Bangers' we have coming up next!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
After seeing what happened in Washington Thursday night, I'm a little afraid of putting an in-experienced QB in against the '8 Head-Bangers' we have coming up next!

I know what you're saying, but I still might give him a chance and at least let him play until it's shown he can't get it done against those defenses.

Don't read into it too much with Cousins - the Giants were saying the found a tell that he was locking onto receivers and not going through his progressions. Davis is not guilty of that, per the first bullet point in the OP.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know what you're saying, but I still might give him a chance and at least let him play until it's shown he can't get it done against those defenses.

Don't read into it too much with Cousins - the Giants were saying the found a tell that he was locking onto receivers and not going through his progressions. Davis is not guilty of that, per the first bullet point in the OP.
Thanks, I hadn't heard that about the Giants/ Cousins!!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing I have noticed about Davis is that for basically a rookie he doesn't make the same mistake twice. He doesn't take sacks now like he did against Minnesota he gets the ball out quicker and he will learn when to take the sack. As a young QB he has been very impressive

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
His mobility extends plays compensating for our poor overall OL play. Some say that SB would be lighting it up but I believe AD's success has been forged through his mobility. He makes quick decisions and gets the ball out, yes he will make a mistake or two but I like the mentality. Aggressiveness and decisiveness have been a breath of fresh air particularly when playing behind a line struggling to develop a consistent pocket to set up within. The one common link of our decade long drought has been inconsistent if not poor OL play as a whole. I hope Hill is ready although I support AD as the starter until I know his limitations and effectiveness. If QB was about arm strength and athleticism alone or we would still have the multimillion dollar bust in Oakland and Warner would have never made it out of the arena league.
AD is progressing through the reads making plays and has a nice YPA number. He has done more than expected and I for one think it is enough to earn another start.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The thing I have noticed about Davis is that for basically a rookie he doesn't make the same mistake twice. He doesn't take sacks now like he did against Minnesota he gets the ball out quicker and he will learn when to take the sack. As a young QB he has been very impressive
Totally agree. I'm not going to hold him to a higher standard against Seattle than any other QB in the league for example. Why should Davis have to play well against Seattle before he gets props if Peyton and all the other QB's basically aren't doing well against the Seahawks?

Davis has exceeded all expectations and isn't just playing well for a 3rd stringer, he's plain old playing well period. Much like the arm strength complaints, what is it people want that a stronger arm would provide? Davis is leading the league in completion %, isn't dinking and dunking, is leading the team to points and isn't being insulated/protected by 1st-read type play-calling.

I'm going to chalk it up to guarding against disappointment but IMO, Davis should be getting nothing but praise and nothing he's done should be leading anyone to think he's going to tank as the competition picks up.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
One of my favorite things about Davis is how he looks like he's a regular guy playing ball down at the local sandlot. He's not flashy or physically imposing. His play is based on heart and determination like one of us if we were out there. I think that is what has me really pulling for him to succeed.

He is Joe QB to me.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's just lay it on the line.... he's our new KW. The stars have aligned and we will be contenders as soon as Fisher quits being as stubborn as an ass about Davis. He's ticking me off...

But if Hill sets the world on fire, like Davis, then all is good.

Let's just lay it on the line.... he's our new KW. The stars have aligned and we will be contenders as soon as Fisher quits being as stubborn as an ass about Davis. He's ticking me off...

But if Hill sets the world on fire, like Davis, then all is good.

The amazing thing is there's a question mark over it. The sample size is far too small, but if you'd told me prior to the Tampa game that there was even a chance I'd of laughed you off the board.

LooNaTik83

I wonder if Austin Davis will ever make a great play like this one. With the Rams that is, I would love to see him make this play. Seems like he may have a lot more talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I wonder if Hill will ever make a play like that!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree. I'm not going to hold him to a higher standard against Seattle than any other QB in the league for example. Why should Davis have to play well against Seattle before he gets props if Peyton and all the other QB's basically aren't doing well against the Seahawks?

Davis has exceeded all expectations and isn't just playing well for a 3rd stringer, he's plain old playing well period. Much like the arm strength complaints, what is it people want that a stronger arm would provide? Davis is leading the league in completion %, isn't dinking and dunking, is leading the team to points and isn't being insulated/protected by 1st-read type play-calling.

I'm going to chalk it up to guarding against disappointment but IMO, Davis should be getting nothing but praise and nothing he's done should be leading anyone to think he's going to tank as the competition picks up.
Exactly.. people saw him last preseason and basically gave up on him. I saw the intangibles early but he is even exceeding my expectations. We have a gamer and he gives us that spark that thus offense needed especially when Sam went down. He has the respect of our defense and that says something. Our defense has a lot of strong leaders on it and for them to respect him and take up for him is a very strong indictment if how this team feel about him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Fisher really needs to let him start to see what we truly have in him. I understand why he prefers Hill in a few levels, but Hill is not the future, and would be nice to see if Davis has the potential to be.

Ramathon

Fisher really needs to let him start to see what we truly have in him. I understand why he prefers Hill in a few levels, but Hill is not the future, and would be nice to see if Davis has the potential to be.

I would think that's a more likely possibility if/when the Rams are clearly out of the playoff hunt. Until that time, I would guess Fisher will go with the QB who he thinks gives the team the best chance of winning...which he pretty clearly seems to think is Hill. As a coach, I wouldn't expect him to do anything else. His job is largely dependent on the team's record, so it only makes sense for him to play the players he thinks will increase the odds of putting some W's on the board.

We'll if the odds play out in his favor. If Hill lays an egg, I hate to think what the outcry will be like in online forums.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I would think that's a more likely possibility if/when the Rams are clearly out of the playoff hunt. Until that time, I would guess Fisher will go with the QB who he thinks gives the team the best chance of winning...which he pretty clearly seems to think is Hill. As a coach, I wouldn't expect him to do anything else. His job is largely dependent on the team's record, so it only makes sense for him to play the players he thinks will increase the odds of putting some W's on the board.

We'll if the odds play out in his favor. If Hill lays an egg, I hate to think what the outcry will be like in online forums.

I can agree with that. Like I said I understand why he is going with Hill, but I don't really know how much more of a chance he gives us personally, especially with how bad the defense has been. If the Rams start winning I won't care who is at QB, though my personal preference is Davis ofc.

Still more worried about this defense at this point.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One of my favorite things about Davis is how he looks like he's a regular guy playing ball down at the local sandlot. He's not flashy or physically imposing. His play is based on heart and determination like one of us if we were out there. I think that is what has me really pulling for him to succeed.

He is Joe QB to me.

See this is where I disagree just like I don't want to have a beer with the President the fact that Davis looks like an average Joe does not excite me. I understand you love his passion for the game and his desire, however, he has talent and maybe to this point, it's been overlooked.

I would rather post that what he has that sometimes is missed is his intelligence to adapt to the offensive system. To this point Clemens had the best grasp of the offense, but IMO, Davis really understands it and has been exceeding expectations to this point. He is also very accurate and gives his receivers a chance to make plays.

IMO, he's not Joe Sandlot to me, Davis is a fine athlete and seems to be more imposing from the neck up than the neck down, but I truly hope he's no ordinary Joe!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
See this is where I disagree just like I don't want to have a beer with the President the fact that Davis looks like an average Joe does not excite me. I understand you love his passion for the game and his desire, however, he has talent and maybe to this point, it's been overlooked.

I would rather post that what he has that sometimes is missed is his intelligence to adapt to the offensive system. To this point Clemens had the best grasp of the offense, but IMO, Davis really understands it and has been exceeding expectations to this point. He is also very accurate and gives his receivers a chance to make plays.

IMO, he's not Joe Sandlot to me, Davis is a fine athlete and seems to be more imposing from the neck up than the neck down, but I truly hope he's no ordinary Joe!

I think he meant that he comes across as a regular guy not a "star". Certainly nobody can possibly call what he has done ordinary.

I hope Fisher plays this kid because a lot of us think he's got what it takes.