A draft “need” question for y’all...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Assuming player grades are more or less equal at #23, of course.

I see lots of discussion about cornerback and edge rusher as our pick in the first round. Almost every pundit is calling for CB with that pick, in fact. But nose tackle, not so much... Why is that?

If a suitable nose tackle is there at number 23, is it not possible that that would provide the most bang for our buck? I mean, think about it.

Suitable nose tackle would “finish“ our DL. And wouldn’t it make our linebackers and cornerbacks even more effective?

I think it’s a legit question. Is a near elite NT a bigger help to our D than a near elite LB? At least on run D? Perhaps a bigger boon to our CB’s, too?

Food for thought, anyway. Or is this a chicken vs egg thing?

Probably will come down to who falls, I guess.

Any ideas out there on this? Talk to me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Assuming player grades are more or less equal at #23, of course.

I see lots of discussion about cornerback and edge rusher as our pick in the first round. Almost every pundit is calling for CB with that pick, in fact. But nose tackle, not so much... Why is that?

If a suitable nose tackle is there at number 23, is it not possible that that would provide the most bang for our buck? I mean, think about it.

Suitable nose tackle would “finish“ our DL. And wouldn’t it make our linebackers and cornerbacks even more effective?

I think it’s a legit question. Is a near elite NT a bigger help to our D than a near elite LB? At least on run D? Perhaps a bigger boon to our CB’s, too?

Food for thought, anyway. Or is this a chicken vs egg thing?

Probably will come down to who falls, I guess.

Any ideas out there on this? Talk to me.

Great question old wise one Rams43;) Ye who asks so many questions:)

Might be that many have no ideal that Micheal Brockers is no longer our starting NT since very early in 2017 season. That he was ecstatically moved to the 5 Tech DE post in Wade Defense. However Brockers was seen often back inside when Wade went into his specialized 4 DL'er pass rush front, which was often. So when you review who got stats or played large amounts in the NT post for Wade you would come up with Tanzel Smart, Tyrunn Walker, Micheal Brockers & the later half starter Ethan Westbrooks plus there's the extra large middle man Omarius Bryant signed up too.

The only real close NT in those five might be Tyrunn Walker. Until last season he had never played much NT. Tanzel Smart who started the season as the back up NT now plays behind Aaron Donald. Ethan Westbrooks was a pass rushing 43 Defense edge rusher the 4 previous seasons was inserted into the starting NT post he is 6-4 28 pound NT? . Bryant never played NT in college either.

So to button up this question up from me....I would say lack of knowledge by these great NFL Sport Draft Annalists about the Ram Wade defense & the real issues this Wade defense ran into during the 2017 season.;)

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if Vita Vea or DaRon Payne are there, they would be legit choices however I don’t think either one will be and the drop off after them is pretty significant (from a 1st round grade)
Tim Settle is pretty darned good but might be a reach at 23

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The most coveted positions in modern football IMO, defensive side of the ball and in order...

1. Shutdown CB. Impact on the field is profound, removes top target and changes the way you gameplan.
2. Interior Pass Rusher. Harder to find than the edge guys.
3. Blindside Pass Rusher. Critical to have this for a playoff defense.

You can play with 1 and 2, or even scramble the top three around, but the fact remains the Rams need two of the top three. Those come first, given all things equal.

CB might have a shutdown type at 23 in this draft. Chances are there is value at CB regardless, even if they trade down.

OLB has some guys with questions, but there are rushers that have a good chance of being there at 23 with value. Landry for example, if the Rams are comfortable with some of his tape. Or Key, if they aren't too concerned with off field stuff and have a strong interview with him, because he's a top 5ish talent. Or a trade down and guy like Lorenzo Carter.

ILB and NT come into the equation given the other two above are removed from consideration IMO. But yes both should have very good value at 23.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think if Vita Vea or DaRon Payne are there, they would be legit choices however I don’t think either one will be and the drop off after them is pretty significant (from a 1st round grade)
Tim Settle is pretty darned good but might be a reach at 23
" Your reading my mind Bro!!!" I was thinking about all 3 of these^ Players!! There is a 4th one I have thought about, Derrick Knadi - Florida State - 6ft 1/312, makes me think of Donald!

Last edited: