A Double-Digit Loss Offseason.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Okay, here's what I would do in this scenario:

CUT:

Scott Wells
Jake Long
Kendall Langford
Eugene Sims
Jo-Lonn Dunbar
Isaiah Pead

(Only surprise is Dunbar, but really, he hasn't done anything that Mark Barron can't do better. Eugene Sims is replaced by Ethan Westbrooks, by the way.)

CONVERT:

Mo Alexander: SS-OLB
Lamarcus Joyner NCB-FS

(If Daren Bates can play linebacker, so too can Mo, who takes Dunbar's place. Joyner takes over the free safety spot from McLeod.)

RESIGN:

Kenny Britt
Lance Kendricks
Cory Harkey
Mike Person
Shaun Hill

(I want both of our tight ends back, as well as Kenny Britt. As for Person, he's depth at guard. Hill's a backup, but he'll come cheap.)

SIGN:

Stefan Wisniewski

(We need a center. Badly. We get the best one on the market in Wisniewski.)

TRADE:

5th round pick to Chicago Bears for Jay Cutler and 3rd round pick.

(According to Adam Schefter, the Bears may not have much of a market for the much-maligned Cutler. They have an enormous salary to dump, and the Rams could take on Cutler's contract for a high pick. Of course, the NFL isn't the NBA, but the Rams can always deal their seventh round pick so that the deal can happen. Aside from that, Cutler is a bridge anyway.)

Sam Bradford to Buffalo for 3rd round pick and conditional 4th in 2016.

(Stealing from jrry's mock for the same reasons he stated. And because I'm a thief. :p)

William Hayes to Buccaneers for 4th round pick.

(My idea. I realize Hayes is a leader. But I'm going to be frank: this is a golden opportunity to get something more. They're playing guys like Larry English and Jacquies Smith, for fate's sake! Michael Johnson has been a huge free agency bust, Bowers has been ineffective, and Clayborn is in the final year of his contract. They need help everywhere.)

Zac Stacy to Titans for 6th round pick.

(Stealing from jrry again...but if you're not going to use him, might as well get value.)

DRAFT:

1 - T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh.

(Jrry said it best; Clemmings is not slipping out of the top ten. Fortunately, I think Ronnie Stanley goes ahead of him, which gives us a literal gift. Two true bookend tackles.)

2 - Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia.

(Going for value here. I think he slips to us because of his ACL and suspension.)

3a - Arie Kouandjio, OG, Alabama.

(Wanted him last year. Still want him this year. Left guard of the future.)

3b. Markus Golden, DE, Missouri.

(Hayes replacement and a good pass-rusher.)

3c. Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn.

(Langford replacement and another pass-rusher.)

4a. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon.

(Another value pick who falls because of injury and size.)

4b. Joey Mbu, DT, Houston.

(A fourth defensive tackle who can stuff the run.)

6. Jamil Douglas, OG/OT, Arizona State.

(Drops because of off-the-field issues, but can play four positions on the line.)

7. J.J. Nelson, WR/KR, UAB.

(I know, I'm a thief...but this is a sentimental pick as well. I feel for the UAB fanbase, players, and alumni. There has to be one player who's drafted from that program. Why not a dynamic kick returner?)

QB: Jay Cutler.
RB: Todd Gurley, Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham.
FB: Cory Harkey.
WR: Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin.
TE: Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks.
LT: Greg Robinson.
LG: Arie Kouandjio.
C: Stefan Wisniewski.
RG: Rodger Saffold.
RT: T.J. Clemmings.
OL: Barrett Jones, Mike Person, Jamil Douglas, Demetrius Rhaney.
LDE: Chris Long, Markus Golden.
LDT: Michael Brockers, Joey Mbu.
RDT: Aaron Donald, Gabe Wright.
RDE: Robert Quinn, Ethan Westbrooks.
OLB: Alec Ogletree.
MLB: James Laurinaitis.
SPUR: Mark Barron.
CB: E.J. Gaines, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Marcus Roberson.
FS: Lamarcus Joyner.
SS: T.J. McDonald.
K: Greg Zuerlein.
P: Johnny Hekker.
LS: Jake McQuaide.
KR: J.J. Nelson.
PR: Tavon Austin.

Thoughts are encouraged.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Bucs don't really need a DE, not enough to trade. Michael Johnson hasn't been a FA bust, he's a monster when healthy he just hasn't been healthy often. Watch the GB game yesterday, he was absolutely destroying GB single handedly. He'll be healthy next year.

Smith has played extraordinarily well also, he's shown a lot of upside and could become the starter for the future. He's looked real good to me.

We'd probably get more for Hayes by the way. He's one of the best DEs in the league, a true 3 down player, on a very very friendly contract who still has quite a few years left while being a tremendous leader.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bucs don't really need a DE, not enough to trade. Michael Johnson hasn't been a FA bust, he's a monster when healthy he just hasn't been healthy often. Watch the GB game yesterday, he was absolutely destroying GB single handedly. He'll be healthy next year.

Smith has played extraordinarily well also, he's shown a lot of upside and could become the starter for the future. He's looked real good to me.

We'd probably get more for Hayes by the way. He's one of the best DEs in the league, a true 3 down player, on a very very friendly contract who still has quite a few years left while being a tremendous leader.

I also considered teams like the Bears, Cowboys, and Vikings, so take your pick between those four. Johnson has not produced up to his contract year stats, and I have a feeling that he never will. Smith is still a backup at Tampa Bay behind Gholston.

And honestly, I think that we'd be lucky to get more than a fourth for Hayes. A defensive end approaching thirty on what's basically a one-year deal (his contract is up at the same time as Brockers and the rest)? On second thought, maybe I should've traded him to the Cowboys; Jerry Jones might just be crazy enough to give us something more.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I'm a bit leery of the Cutler trade, but other than that, this sounds like a good offseason to me. It's contingent on getting Wisniewski; if not, we have little viable options at C.
You mentioned that Cutler is a bridge; what's at the other end of the bridge? Your draft does not include popular picks for the Rams such as Hundley, and no other QB's for that matter. It would stand to reason that without Bradford, and only Cutler & Hill as viable options, we'd need a developmental QB--unless, again, there's someone at the other end of the bridge...

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm a bit leery of the Cutler trade, but other than that, this sounds like a good offseason to me. It's contingent on getting Wisniewski; if not, we have little viable options at C.
You mentioned that Cutler is a bridge; what's at the other end of the bridge? Your draft does not include popular picks for the Rams such as Hundley, and no other QB's for that matter. It would stand to reason that without Bradford, and only Cutler & Hill as viable options, we'd need a developmental QB--unless, again, there's someone at the other end of the bridge...

Yeah, that's why I want to sell out to get Wisniewski. He should be a priority in this free agent class. This is different than Jason Brown and Scott Wells; Wisniewski has proven himself every year at center, he fits what we're trying to do, and he's still only twenty-six.

Cutler is a bridge for a rookie quarterback in next year's draft, which has a much better and deeper class than this year's. (The only quarterbacks I believe are worth taking talent-wise in this class are Mariota and Winston. I wouldn't touch Winston on ethical grounds that I'm not going to get into, and Tampa Bay or Tennessee is going to take Mariota long before we do.)

As for Hundley? Not worth it. I'm not going to waste a pick on a mediocre quarterback if I see a superior talent at another position sitting right there in front of me. Would much rather go with Cutler behind a retooled offensive line than a rookie quarterback who isn't the answer.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
A Bradford trade isn't happening. He's either going to be cut or kept.

A recent article pointed out that "sign and trade" deals aren't allowed in the NFL, so any team trading for him will take on his current contract and either be paying him $13 million this season with a $16 million cap hit, or if they immediately redo his contract, have a cap hit of $3 million plus whatever the cap hit from the new contract is.

Memento

Name
Jemma
A Bradford trade isn't happening. He's either going to be cut or kept.

A recent article pointed out that "sign and trade" deals aren't allowed in the NFL, so any team trading for him will take on his current contract and either be paying him $13 million this season with a $16 million cap hit, or if they immediately redo his contract, have a cap hit of $3 million plus whatever the cap hit from the new contract is.

That's why he's going to the Bills, a team that needs a quarterback who's better than Kyle Orton. They have the cap to accept the trade, the weapons and line to protect a quarterback, and the need to make such a move.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
That's why he's going to the Bills, a team that needs a quarterback who's better than Kyle Orton. They have the cap to accept the trade, the weapons and line to protect a quarterback, and the need to make such a move.
I guess anything's possible, but I don't see it happening.

Plus, I personally disagree with bringing in Coach Killer Cutler AND getting rid of Bradford, but I don't get a vote.

Memphis Ram

Legend
- Outside of getting FAR more than market value, there is absolutely no way I want the Rams to trade William Hayes.
- Such a Cutler trade is a pipe dream, IMO. The Bears would be better off cutting him.

Memento

Name
Jemma
- Outside of getting FAR more than market value, there is absolutely no way I want the Rams to trade William Hayes.
- Such a Cutler trade is a pipe dream, IMO. The Bears would be better off cutting him.

The Bears don't want to cut Cutler, lest they eat the guaranteed money on his contract. They really screwed themselves with it. They'll trade him, trust me.

As for Hayes...would you rather have him or, say, Brockers? Fact of the matter is, he's approaching thirty, and next year - a year where Brockers and the rest of the 2012 class that's still with the Rams are all free agents - Hayes is a free agent as well. In addition, this class is filled to the brim with pass-rushers. Why not get something for him when we won't retain him?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can I not like this off-season? Very good draft. Although, I think if Cutler's market is that bad, Bradford's market would take a hit.

Also not sure I'd sign off on trading Will Hayes. He's so valuable. But I can understand why you'd do it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Bears don't want to cut Cutler, lest they eat the guaranteed money on his contract. They really screwed themselves with it. They'll trade him, trust me.

As for Hayes...would you rather have him or, say, Brockers? Fact of the matter is, he's approaching thirty, and next year - a year where Brockers and the rest of the 2012 class that's still with the Rams are all free agents - Hayes is a free agent as well. In addition, this class is filled to the brim with pass-rushers. Why not get something for him when we won't retain him?

I think many have jumped the gun on Cutler. Makes no sense to trade him without an option to replace him. I'm guessing that Trestman goes and Cutler stays. But, if not, any trade of Cutler (if at all) would probably involve a team that could get them the opportunity to obtain one of the top rated QBs in this draft class to replace him.

I don't believe that there is a Hayes vs. Brockers scenario. They can have both. BTW, if I'm not mistaken Hayes is slightly younger that Chris Long.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think many have jumped the gun on Cutler. Makes no sense to trade him without an option to replace him. I'm guessing that Trestman goes and Cutler stays. But, if not, any trade of Cutler (if at all) would probably involve a team that could get them the opportunity to obtain one of the top rated QBs in this draft class to replace him.

I don't believe that there is a Hayes vs. Brockers scenario. They can have both. BTW, if I'm not mistaken Hayes is slightly younger that Chris Long.

They can't have Hayes, Brockers, Barron, Quick, Jenkins, Johnson, Zuerlein, Cunningham, and Bates.

And if Trestman goes, Cutler goes with him. The Bears have quickly become a circus act, and the GM isn't going to stand for it. Otherwise, he gets fired.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now I would love this off season, but right now I'm easy, easy like Sunday Morning!

Rainram

Starter
I think I'm missing the 2 fourth rounders. I see the one from the Hayes trade...where's the other come from?

But..I like the Wisniewski part. I also like a lot of the players you gave us...though I wonder if some of them will be there at their respective slots.

No way are the Bears gonna give us Cutler AND a 3rd for a 5th. The whole Cutler/Bradford thing is such, that for it to realistically work out, we'd probably come close to breaking even picks-wise.

I'm keeping Hayes. I see what you did, and why you did it...but I'd still keep him.

You managed to get us 5 picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds, where we currently have 1 pick...that's pretty snazzy, and in my humble opinion, awfully unrealistic. Those players you have in the 3rd and 4th round are nice though.

That being said...I like your revamped OLine! I like Gurley in the 2nd if he's there (but he won't be there and we won't take him if he is). Ekpre-Olomu in the 4th (where we currently don't even have a pick) would be a thing of beauty.

As it stands, we only have 3 picks in the Top 100. You managed to get us 7 picks in just over the top 100...which I think helps your draft look as good as it does.

Memphis Ram

Legend
They can't have Hayes, Brockers, Barron, Quick, Jenkins, Johnson, Zuerlein, Cunningham, and Bates.

And if Trestman goes, Cutler goes with him. The Bears have quickly become a circus act, and the GM isn't going to stand for it. Otherwise, he gets fired.

Not sure they should even want Johnson , Cunningham, or Bates in 2016. The latter two will probably be making the vet minimum at best anyway. Johnson might, too, unless he turns things around.

I still don't get the Trestman and Cutler package deal some seem to post. Trestman can easily be shown the door and Cutler remain. Either way, from what I've read, the GM may be in trouble already, too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not sure they should even want Johnson , Cunningham, or Bates in 2016. The latter two will probably be making the vet minimum at best anyway. Johnson might, too, unless he turns things around.

I still don't get the Trestman and Cutler package deal some seem to post. Trestman can easily be shown the door and Cutler remain. Either way, from what I've read, the GM may be in trouble already, too.

IMO all of them will be gone, Trestman (might stay in the NFL as an OC) Phil Emery the GM and Jay Cutler...Again the destination IMO for Cutler will be Houston. Solid running game a Head Coach that believes in himself as a quarterback guru and back to the AFC.

The no nonsense approach by Bill O'Brien might be the perfect for Cutler and that where I see him ending up. The Bears will hire someone like Todd Bowles and go back to Chicago Bear football good defense and running the football back the days of Ditka!

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO all of them will be gone, Trestman (might stay in the NFL as an OC) Phil Emery the GM and Jay Cutler...Again the destination IMO for Cutler will be Houston. Solid running game a Head Coach that believes in himself as a quarterback guru and back to the AFC.

The no nonsense approach by Bill O'Brien might be the perfect for Cutler and that where I see him ending up. The Bears will hire someone like Todd Bowles and go back to Chicago Bear football good defense and running the football back the days of Ditka!

But, what are they going to do for a QB? Everyone here has Cutler gone, but the Bears have no replacement for him. That is, unless they plan to go the route I suggest some teams should look into via taking advantage of the glut of players not given an opportunity and playing them to their strengths in a Malzahnian type attack.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But, what are they going to do for a QB? Everyone here has Cutler gone, but the Bears have no replacement for him. That is, unless they plan to go the route I suggest some teams should look into via taking advantage of the glut of players not given an opportunity and playing them to their strengths in a Malzahnian type attack.

They suck for a year with a journeyman and then draft one next year. If they're moving on from Cutler, they're likely accepting that they have to rebuild.

FRO

Legend
I'm as big a Bradford fan there is, I don't see us getting a third round pick for a guy coming off 2 knee injuries for the money that the team would pay him. I just don't see a market for him.