A defensive stockpile in place, Rams looking ahead to critical offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/23/st-louis-rams-future-defense-sam-bradford

A defensive stockpile in place, Rams looking ahead to critical offseason
BY JOAN NIESEN/Dec. 23, 2014

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Les Snead can’t sit still. He leans one way in his desk chair, then the other, spins 90 degrees, spins back. It’s a Wednesday in mid-December, and the Rams haven’t played for six days, which means their general manager has had almost a week to dwell on the past, and three more remain before the future.

On this day, the Rams are 6-8, coming off a loss at home to the Cardinals, but they haven’t given up a touchdown in three games. For two weeks their defense was the darling of the NFL, posting two consecutive shutouts in a 52-0 win over the Raiders and a 24-0 day in Washington, D.C. Their next game, in Week 15 against a faltering Arizona team, was supposed to be the latest in St. Louis’ string of upsets, but instead the Rams -- especially their offense -- were lackluster, and they were eliminated from the playoffs for the 10th consecutive year.

So of course Snead wants to move on to the next, the next game, the next season, the next chance to turn a perennial bottom-dweller into a contender once again. “That’s the worst five-year stretch in NFL history,” he says of his team’s 15 wins over five seasons from 2007-11, the year before he was hired, and since then, the Rams have improved only from terrible to mediocre. Snead, who resembles Matthew McConaughey if he were cast in the role of an NFL GM, is on this day imagining an 8-8 record.

He dreams of .500, because that would be a step, albeit a tiny one, but that dream will evaporate in Week 16 with a sloppy loss to the Giants. At 6-9 going into Week 17, the Rams will once again finish their season with a losing record, with as many or fewer wins as they did a year ago and the year before that.

“Playing the last 24 games without your starting QB,” Snead says, “with the schedule we’ve played, the quality wins we’ve won -- to me, if you want to call it mediocre, we’ve gotten this thing from the worst five-year stretch to actually respectable.”

Snead’s and coach Jeff Fisher’s first three years with the team have been a rebuild, no question. The Rams were able to get away with seven-win seasons while still drafting early and often thanks to the windfall of picks bestowed upon them by the Redskins in exchange for Robert Griffin III and his combustible limbs in 2012, and they’ve made those picks pay off. Selecting Aaron Donald last May was what seemed like the final move in building perhaps the NFL’s best defensive line, but now, the treasure chest is empty -- the Rams will have only their own picks next spring.

With the tides of the NFC West shifting -- Arizona’s quarterback situation is anything but encouraging, and the 49ers are in for major changes come January -- the Rams’ window has begun to open, and St. Louis prides itself on having built for its division, Fisher says. That’s why the team is still likely be reluctant to deal a defensive piece for a so-so, if experienced quarterback, why it looks far more likely that the Rams will retain Sam Bradford, sprinkle holy water on his knees and pick him a backup in a middle round of this spring’s draft.

Snead and Fisher know their offense needs to be more consistent, but the defense they’ve built is no steppingstone on the path to winning. It’s the reason they win when they do. It’s their focus, their obsession, and it comes first.

“The key was the [defensive line],” Snead says of building the Rams. “Let’s just get unbalanced. It wasn’t, let’s just take our assets and draft picks and spread them around, get good in a lot of things. It’s, let’s tip the scale here. You’ve got a better chance to become harassing if something’s dominant versus if something’s balanced.

“What’s the best way to counter Aaron [Rodgers]?” he continues. “A great defense, if you can’t [draft] Aaron. If I said I were smart enough to get [another] Aaron in whatever pick of the draft, I would be lying.”

There’s this behemoth of a whiteboard in Snead’s office, lined with printouts and covered with magnets. On this day, Snead has taken one sheet down for closer inspection. It shows several pictures: one of a Steelers team from the early 1970s, another of the 2002 Buccaneers, another of the Greatest Show on Turf. Three sentences are typed at the top of the page: “The ultimate goal is to score more points than the other team. Feed your beast. Obsession, not balance makes things happen.” Each of the teams pictured, Snead explains, won with obsession, not balance.

The Steelers and Buccaneers had great defensive lines. Those Rams teams of the early 2000s had an offense for the ages. Obsession. Singular focus. That’s the point Snead hammers home time and time again. It explains why he drafted Donald instead of Teddy Bridgewater or even Johnny Manziel, why he traded for safety Mark Barron at the deadline. His defense is his obsession. But now it’s time to step back, to fill holes rather than stockpile.

When the Rams allowed a touchdown in the first quarter of their 37-27 loss to the Giants, it was the first time a St. Louis opponent had crossed into the end zone in almost 135 minutes of football. Sunday’s unruly performance was anything but inspiring -- the 514 yards the Rams allowed New York were the most of the Fisher era -- but St. Louis’ defense will still most likely finish the season in the top 10 in the NFL against both the pass and the run. It is solid, with the potential to be great. It is constructed. The Rams’ offense, though, is anything but.

Snead points to Bradford’s knee injuries as a source of the team’s woes, and he isn’t wrong. Around the Rams facility, those who have been watching the quarterback since he was drafted in 2010 remain in awe of his arm when he’s healthy, and the Rams don’t seem ready to give up on him quite yet. They can bring Bradford back in 2015, and with such a weak class of free-agent quarterbacks, that seems like the prudent decision -- especially given Snead’s (wise) reluctance to go all-in on a highly drafted rookie under center.

It’s impossible to know if a healthy Bradford will be the key to the Rams snagging at least a wild-card spot a year from now, but to say the team is a quarterback away from a playoff berth is too simplistic. Sure, Bradford -- or any upgrade from Shaun Hill and Austin Davis -- would push the team in the right direction, but the group in place now has often struggled with the finer points of the game, the tiny details that for a team hovering around .500 mean the difference between winning and losing. The young team has had too many special teams gaffes, too many turnovers, and through Week 16, St. Louis’ offense and special teams have allowed 63 points, the most in the NFL by a 19-point margin.

“What’s been impressive about our defense is we play sudden-change situations, where there’s been a turnover by our offense, or there’s a big punt return or something,” linebacker James Laurinaitis says of his unit’s ability to compensate. “You’re put in an adverse situation, and you make teams kick field goals.”

That St. Louis’ defense has been able to get out of jams is a testament to its skill, but the jams themselves are what have relegated the team to nothing more than a spoiler in the late weeks of 2014. The Rams can expect their defense to win them games, but in order to put together a winning season, they can’t rely on it to bail them out of disaster after disaster, game after game.

“This team needs to figure out how to not give [opponents] anything easy,” Laurinaitis adds. “Quite frankly, when you’re 8-8 and 7-9, you’re best of the worst, worst of the best. That’s not a great place to be.”

What the Rams need to achieve to get over the hump next year is as much about coaching and growing up as it is about building. That’s a change for an organization that’s been retooling for a decade, and next year will mark a test for the current coaches and front office. The excuses don’t hold anymore, and the claims that the Rams just need another year are getting stale. Even so, defensive end Chris Long, who was a rookie during St. Louis’ 2-14 campaign in 2008, says this is the most optimistic he’s been going into an offseason.

“We’ve showed flashes of being really dominant,” he says. “That’s all well and good, but we have to be consistent. It’s been more optimistic every year. … I’ve been through offseasons before where you had to force yourself to be confident. This isn’t one of those times.”

Long isn’t the only player who feels that way, and when players say they think the team has reached a turning point, they seem to believe it. That’s especially true among members of the young, self-assured defense. Asked whether the unit to which he was traded midseason could be the best in the NFL in the near future, Barron is resolute. “That’s not even a question,” he says.

What remains a question, though, is if that can be enough, if the Rams can find an offense, if the team can find the measure of polish it’s been missing for coming up on a decade.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I agree with this post.

As much as I'd like to say otherwise, the Rams are NOT just a good QB away from being a SOLID playoff caliber team.

In addition to the QB issue being resolved, the following is needed:

The Rams MUST do something about the interior of their O Line.
They MUST lower turnovers (offense and special teams) and limit opponents in the punt/kick returns.
They MUST lower the STUPID penalties. Note, I put STUPID penalties. Don't take the aggressiveness away just stop the illegal procedures, faults starts, offsides, late hits, etc.

They do all of that, IMHO they are a danger to go DEEP into the playoffs.

JMHO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/23/st-louis-rams-future-defense-sam-bradford

“The key was the [defensive line],” Snead says of building the Rams. “Let’s just get unbalanced. It wasn’t, let’s just take our assets and draft picks and spread them around, get good in a lot of things. It’s, let’s tip the scale here. You’ve got a better chance to become harassing if something’s dominant versus if something’s balanced.

“What’s the best way to counter Aaron [Rodgers]?” he continues. “A great defense, if you can’t [draft] Aaron. If I said I were smart enough to get [another] Aaron in whatever pick of the draft, I would be lying.”

There’s this behemoth of a whiteboard in Snead’s office, lined with printouts and covered with magnets. On this day, Snead has taken one sheet down for closer inspection. It shows several pictures: one of a Steelers team from the early 1970s, another of the 2002 Buccaneers, another of the Greatest Show on Turf. Three sentences are typed at the top of the page: “The ultimate goal is to score more points than the other team. Feed your beast. Obsession, not balance makes things happen.” Each of the teams pictured, Snead explains, won with obsession, not balance.

I wish that they would obsess more on building a great rushing attack. That could solve a lot of problems, IMO.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
. If we "obsess" to develop an O-Line, we have the skill positions to be very dangerous. I've said it before, it's time to trim the "fat" from the O-Line and get guys who can perform. I would like to see Wells and Joseph released, and convince J. Long to re-structure, or he will be released because he will be too costly as a back-up to G-Rob. We should bring in a couple free-agent lineman, and draft a couple more in the mid-rounds. I would also like to see us draft a QB in the 2nd-3rd round. I hope SB will re-structure his contract allowing us to get him more help up front. We also need to re-sign Britt.

With another year, this team will continue to mature with the hopes of making fewer mistakes and playing with more confidence. Will some of the young guys continue to stay focused in getting better?

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I agree with this post.

As much as I'd like to say otherwise, the Rams are NOT just a good QB away from being a SOLID playoff caliber team.

They MUST lower turnovers (offense and special teams) and limit opponents in the punt/kick returns.
They MUST lower the STUPID penalties. Note, I put STUPID penalties. Don't take the aggressiveness away just stop the illegal procedures, faults starts, offsides, late hits, etc.

JMHO.

I wouldn't argue much of this, other than lowering the turnovers by the offense would go hand-in-hand with having a good QB.

First pick needs to be for a QB IMO, take the best one available, then go with a WR/OL.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I agree with this post.

JMHO.

If that's all it is, sounds like a QB away to me. Couple interior guys, QB, discipline.

QB makes up at least 70% of the problem.

With that said, I'm all for BPA in the draft. I don't care if it's a DT, CB, LB'er, you name it. If it's close then whatever.

An example of the BPA not being close, Aaron Donald at 13 despite having solid DT play.

The only time "need" can overlap "BPA" is if the talent is close. An example of this is Watkins Vs Robinson. Turns out OL was a way bigger need and you couldn't go wrong with either. That's good drafting.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If Mariota or Winston are not available at our pick (and they won't be), the Rams would be crazy to go QB....or WR in the first IMO. From what I understand, this could be an OL rich draft, and if so, the timing could not be better. Build the OL like you have built the DL and see what your existing skill players are capable of with time for plays to actually, ya know...develop. 3 more ppg on O with a positive turnover margin = 12 wins for this team by my unscientific calculation.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think your list is a good start. The QB and o-line are a given, and then the turnovers item blends with the QB & line issues. Hill and Davis put together fumbled 11 times. That would be second most (behind Cutler & Luck's 12). And their 14 INTs would be 7th most. Certainly not all their fault, some blame goes to being under pressure too much thanks to the o-line.

I agree the Rams kick return unit needs to be better but I think our punt unit is one of the best.

It's been a weird year for penalties, nobody is happy. It seems the best teams lead in the stupid penalty categories like false starts and offsides (both Seattle) and holding (Denver, Dallas), but yeah the Rams are right up there near the top in every category (except defensive offsides not too bad).

The Rams even have the most offensive PI, which is kind of crazy, other teams run pick plays way more and have WRs infamous for pushing off. I think officiating has been bad all around, but the Rams have especially got the screwgie both in called, non-called (Quinn must have ripped 20 jerseys from holds), and timing of bad penalties.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With a few cuts; we'll have cap room to help the team in free agency.

Our team has young up-and-coming talent.

This is going to be a fun offseason.

We're close.

Memphis Ram

Legend
With a few cuts; we'll have cap room to help the team in free agency.

Our team has young up-and-coming talent.

This is going to be a fun offseason.

We're close.

Another chance to overpay talent that probably won't perform worth the $$$ they receive.

Oh well. Hopefully, the go the bargain basement route looking for a Dunbar type.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Another chance to overpay talent that probably won't perform worth the $$$ they receive.
I loved you in Major League. You were brilliant.

hqdefault.jpg

Ace right

UDFA
As others have said cut the stupid penalties down from 8 to 10 to 4 to 6 a game. Bulk up on the interior O to help the run game. Cut the turnovers it is not like their are a lot of them, but they come at key times it seems. Whoever we have at QB will benefit.

fearsomefour

Legend
I wish that they would obsess more on building a great rushing attack. That could solve a lot of problems, IMO.
One of the things it would help is the defense as well. Dropping back to pass 45 times is in vogue in the NFL, but, if you can consistently run the ball you can take a couple of possessions a game away from your opponent. With the Rams D that would put more pressure on the other teams O.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

This

Fix the line and focus on running the ball and the QBs job gets so much easier, that even Sean Hill could look good consistently.

There is no quick QB fix so it looks like fixing the line HAS to be the focus this offseason. If it isn't then somehow Fisher and Snead lost their marbles amongst all of these losing seasons.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

Sorry, but I don't see it that way....in the past the Rams have had outstanding RB's like Dickerson, Faulk and Jackson. Oh they were all outstanding and exciting runners, but outside of Faulk who was complimented by GSOT WR's and a truly gifted chucker (Warner), the defensive approach has been to load the box and challenge the Rams to win via the pass.

While it's popular to build a running game with a run first mentality, it takes all 3 phases to field a consistent winning franchise....in other words it takes one basic element to win consistently and that element is called "BALANCE". Oh you'll win games with an outstanding running game, but to win a division and playoff' games requires the ability to adjust, compensate and attack an opponents weakness and IMO, doing so via a superior running game in the absence of a passing attack just won't get it done over any extended period. Have there been momentary exceptions? Certainly, but let's be honest, considering today's rules and the way the game is played currently, any team without a solid QB will be home after this weekend dreaming about next year....if anyone doubts this, just ask Arizona or Philly.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
All this stuff sounds good for the off season, but I sure wish they had something to be competitive and knock the Albatross out of home field..Unfortunately, I don't see it..Stranger things have probably happened but there is a good reason the Rams are WAIT FOR IT:

13 point dogs against them this week...Denver against Oakland (in Denver) is 14, that's the only game even close to that big a spread...This could be really ugly...As usual though, I'll be watching and hoping for a minor miracle...BTW, I really got screwed this Sunday...Instead of a big game (at least for Seattle), we get SF because they're closer to us geography-wise...Sometimes I hate living this close to CA...Another week of not-so-great streaming video..GO RAMS he said, with a bit of desperation in his voice...

FRO

Legend
Build the offensive line. We will win with our defense and a great run game.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
If Mariota or Winston are not available at our pick (and they won't be), the Rams would be crazy to go QB....or WR in the first IMO. From what I understand, this could be an OL rich draft, and if so, the timing could not be better. Build the OL like you have built the DL and see what your existing skill players are capable of with time for plays to actually, ya know...develop. 3 more ppg on O with a positive turnover margin = 12 wins for this team by my unscientific calculation.
+1.
This is why Dallas is now in the playoffs... and we aren't. Their O-line is powerful, mean, etc. (insert superlative(s) here). If this indeed is an O-Line rich draft, I wouldn't care if we went OL, OL/C, QB, OL/C, BPA. Some better quality/younger F/A's (like Wicsnewski) would go a long way, too. (vs. a Long way, straight to the IR).

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sorry, but I don't see it that way....in the past the Rams have had outstanding RB's like Dickerson, Faulk and Jackson. Oh they were all outstanding and exciting runners, but outside of Faulk who was complimented by GSOT WR's and a truly gifted chucker (Warner), the defensive approach has been to load the box and challenge the Rams to win via the pass.

While it's popular to build a running game with a run first mentality, it takes all 3 phases to field a consistent winning franchise....in other words it takes one basic element to win consistently and that element is called "BALANCE". Oh you'll win games with an outstanding running game, but to win a division and playoff' games requires the ability to adjust, compensate and attack an opponents weakness and IMO, doing so via a superior running game in the absence of a passing attack just won't get it done over any extended period. Have there been momentary exceptions? Certainly, but let's be honest, considering today's rules and the way the game is played currently, any team without a solid QB will be home after this weekend dreaming about next year....if anyone doubts this, just ask Arizona or Philly.

Ask Philly who doesn't have a top rated defense?
Ask Arizona who is averaging 3.3 yards per carry? No thanks.

Sure it takes all 3 phases to field a consistent winning franchise.
Offense. Defense. Special Teams.

And I'm not sure if you noticed, but there are teams WITH a solid QB that don't even make the playoffs, too.

Besides, who has said anything about building a superior running game in the absence of a passing attack?

I want a superior rushing attack to go along with a superior defense so that the team wouldn't need a superior passing attack to win a Championship. Just an average to above average one will do. And, IMO, it's the easier route to go when you don't have one of those rare passers that most teams never get to have on their rosters.