A Controversial Take

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
With the Senior Bowl on the books and the combine looming, I know everyone is amped up for draft talk and possible trades.

I don't think I want a rehash of last year. I know it was fun to see the Rams jump all around the board and scoop up extra picks, but I really think I just want them to take their guys and quit stockpiling the picks.

My rationale: This has been the youngest team in the league two years running, likely looking at a 3rd year running. I'd venture to say that much of undisciplined play last year at times was due to the youth movement, especially on defense and special teams. Special teams play had us all beating our heads against the wall, and the secondary (particularly young) were abused more often than not, especially by the savvy veteran pass catchers (Boldin, Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall).

Now I'm not advocating going out and signing a bunch of veteran FA, shades of 2011 ugh. However I think many of us would agree that there is a solid core of young guys in place, and this team is looking to gain 3 or 4 starters and depth. Why not make a push to package picks and take the guys they need rather than move all over the board and seemingly push the issue into next year.

I don't want to see the team leverage the future to acquire their players, but if it means packaging a few late round picks this year to get it done, why the hell not?

PhxRam

With the Senior Bowl on the books and the combine looming, I know everyone is amped up for draft talk and possible trades.

I don't think I want a rehash of last year. I know it was fun to see the Rams jump all around the board and scoop up extra picks, but I really think I just want them to take their guys and quit stockpiling the picks.

My rationale: This has been the youngest team in the league two years running, likely looking at a 3rd year running. I'd venture to say that much of undisciplined play last year at times was due to the youth movement, especially on defense and special teams. Special teams play had us all beating our heads against the wall, and the secondary (particularly young) were abused more often than not, especially by the savvy veteran pass catchers (Boldin, Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall).

Now I'm not advocating going out and signing a bunch of veteran FA, shades of 2011 ugh. However I think many of us would agree that there is a solid core of young guys in place, and this team is looking to gain 3 or 4 starters and depth. Why not make a push to package picks and take the guys they need rather than move all over the board and seemingly push the issue into next year.

I don't want to see the team leverage the future to acquire their players, but if it means packaging a few late round picks this year to get it done, why the hell not?

I think after this year you may start seeing that.

i just dont think the cupboard is completely stocked yet.

RFIP

That's exactly what they did for Stacy last year, and hit a HR by doing so...well, at least a triple.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I tend to have mixed feelings when it comes to trading picks.

First; the hit rate is higher, the higher you select. Moving down, while accumulating picks, increases the miss rate.

Second; blue chippers... each draft has anywhere from 6-8. A guy like Sammy Watkins or Jake Mathews isn't falling past 8... so you want the top players you need to be at the top of the draft. Trade down too far and you sacrifice potentially getting the top tier talent (not impossible and their are certainly studs down the draft board... just saying the hit rate is harder).

Third; at some point we need to start cashing in draft capital to win now. The prospect of getting 2015 picks doesn't help the 2014 team win games. Are we ready to make a serious playoff push, or what?

All of this said... working the draft is the most important element of team success. I'm glad we've got smart guys doing it... because it's a game of chess... building for now and the future! Staggering contract renewals, etc.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd still like to get a first next year out of this cuz LOOK at what the potential is for it climbing to heights like this year Washington pick did.

Suppose we trade with someone and they pic second next year? Would that be worth is and THEN we draft "THAT Player" a Lawrence Taylor or a Clowney .
IMO we are going to keep picking lower with our picks from here and for a playoff team to have that high a pick would be the kind of thing dynasties are made of,THAT is my aim and FWIW I see that potential here,if we had two more drafts like last year and those players end up depth,can you say OMG? I can

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I really don't like anyone at 2, so hopefully at least one trade down happens.
I'm good with it even if it just defers a first to next year two picks in the first is just power and options that IMO are invaluable

V3

Hall of Fame

Are you referring to the whole draft in general or specifically about the #2 pick? If it's about the #2 pick, I'd argue there really isn't any player worth the #2 for the Rams. Clowney would be if we needed a DE but we don't. We don't need a QB and TBH, I'm not sure any of them are all that special. I'm not sure the OT's are that special either this year at the top and the Rams have already said they're sticking with Long so there's that.

So who would they take at #2 if they stayed there? I agree with you about targeting specific players later in the draft but for #2 I don't want them to stay put. They should trade down from that pick.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm good with it even if it just defers a first to next year two picks in the first is just power and options that IMO are invaluable

I prefer to have any trade the Rams make include a first rounder for next year. If the Rams find that Bradford isn't durable or just isn't good enough, they'll need the ammo to move up and get a QB. You have to prepare for all scenarios and having an extra first next year allows for that.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I prefer to have any trade the Rams make include a first rounder for next year. If the Rams find that Bradford isn't durable or just isn't good enough, they'll need the ammo to move up and get a QB. You have to prepare for all scenarios and having an extra first next year allows for that.
Although I don't expect that occur that way, it would be some serious Karma if the last vestiges of the RG trade yielded our starting QB and he was far better than RG, IMO that would rank it the greatest trade of all time.
I can identify with the we don't need numbers argument right now ,but we do need starters and IMO the draft is also the way to get them so if we end up younger so be it,these guys we have now will be vets the whole team won't be rookies in fact I'd be surprised to see more than two or three rooks start next year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Completely agree. I have a strong feeling that Sam will have a big year if he stays on the field,but things could change very quickly.
Securing a #1 in 2015 is just smart GM'ing at this point considering the question marks surrounding our QB and his health,contract and performance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'm ok either way. I don't see where trading and stockpiling hurts you IF you hit on your picks. I also think it allows you the flexibility that if at some point you do want to package some picks to move up, you have the picks to move up. We will undoubtedly be young again this next season. And hopefully, we will continue to be among the youngest with some veterans that grew up in this organization.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

i agree it seems that if you keep trading down you get in a pattern of cuting last years low picks for this years low picks and on and on. every time you trade down you take the chance of missing a player that is higher on your draft board.
that being said if snead has mathews, robinson and watkins rated about the same and they are sure 3 qb are going high we could trde down around 6 or 7 and still get one of those three

V3

Hall of Fame
Although I don't expect that occur that way, it would be some serious Karma if the last vestiges of the RG trade yielded our starting QB and he was far better than RG, IMO that would rank it the greatest trade of all time.
I can identify with the we don't need numbers argument right now ,but we do need starters and IMO the draft is also the way to get them so if we end up younger so be it,these guys we have now will be vets the whole team won't be rookies in fact I'd be surprised to see more than two or three rooks start next year.

If we don't have at least 3 rookies starting next year, then it wasn't a good draft, IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If we don't have at least 3 rookies starting next year, then it wasn't a good draft, IMO.
I'd rather we get to the point that we're not counting on rookies to start and contribute.
Oh to be drafting for depth...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Of course you realize that Robert Quinn was inactive week 1 as a rookie (vs Philly) wasn't really even a full time starter until the following year.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd rather we get to the point that we're not counting on rookies to start and contribute.
Oh to be drafting for depth...

I've heard there are teams like that. Wonder what that must feel like?