A closer look at Kiper's 'Grade A' mock for the Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
A closer look at Kiper's 'Grade A' mock for the Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...oser-look-at-kipers-grade-a-mock-for-the-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- On Thursday, ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. offered his annual "Grade A" mock draft.

Before we dive into what Kiper projected for the St. Louis Rams, let's clarify what he's going for in this particular version of the mock. This is not a projection of what he thinks teams will do. Instead, it's a chance for Kiper to fit need and value for each team. In other words, if every team on the list made the three picks Kiper projects for them in this mock, they would receive a grade of "A" from him on the Sunday after the draft.

For the Rams, Kiper hits on the usual suspects when it comes to the team's needs. He lists offensive line, wide receiver, cornerback and quarterback as the team's four top priorities. From there, Kiper drafts Louisville receiver DeVante Parker with the Rams' first pick at No. 10 overall. At No. 41, he selects Pittsburgh offensive tackle T.J. Clemmings and he finishes by taking Florida Atlantic cornerback D'Joun Smith with the third-round choice, No. 72 overall.

Clearly, Kiper's picks fill what he believes are three important needs for the Rams. But I'm not so sure these would be the right picks. Under Kiper's scenario, the top two quarterbacks, top two receivers and top offensive lineman are all off the board by the time the Rams pick. That's a realistic possibility the Rams must consider.

In that situation, they could potentially go with a defensive end. Even though that's not a need right now, it could be next year and it falls into a similar category as cornerback in that regard. But would the third-best receiver be a better choice than the second-best offensive lineman? Wouldn't someone like Stanford tackle Andrus Peat make just as much, if not more, sense?

Kiper also doesn't project trades in this exercise for obvious reasons. But under this scenario, a trade might be the Rams' best bet.

Also, given the team's interest in offensive linemen and the need there, it stands to reason that they'll spend more than one of their first three picks on bolstering that group. An extra lineman in Round 3 to go with Clemmings also would be a logical move. Clemmings might be a nice value if he fell to the second round, but his need for development could be a bit frightening for an offensive line lacking in experience.

As for quarterback, the need is there and the Rams have interest but it seems as though finding a match between that need and the value of a potential pick could prove difficult.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Actually not a bad draft in terms of players. I can't see either Clemmings or Smith falling into those rounds, though. Clemmings is going to go at least late first. Smith should go mid-second; he's short but incredibly talented and plays big.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we got Parker and Clemmings its an A draft in my book.

jjab360

Legend
That's an A+ draft to me, good job Kiper. (y)

I kind of question Wagoner's view of this draft with his comments in regards to Parker and Clemmings, though. He seems to have a problem with drafting the "third best receiver over the second best offensive lineman". Considering this draft is especially strong at the top at WR and pretty weak at the top at OL, that's an entirely plausible scenario. In fact, I'd say it's extremely likely we see three WRs go before even the first O-lineman at this point.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's an A+ draft to me, good job Kiper. (y)

I kind of question Wagoner's view of this draft with his comments in regards to Parker and Clemmings, though. He seems to have a problem with drafting the "third best receiver over the second best offensive lineman". Considering this draft is especially strong at the top at WR and pretty weak at the top at OL, that's an entirely plausible scenario. In fact, I'd say it's extremely likely we see three WRs go before even the first O-lineman at this point.

Yeah that made no sense whatsoever. But, given his new gig, quantity over quality probably has to be the norm now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
As for quarterback, the need is there and the Rams have interest but it seems as though finding a match between that need and the value of a potential pick could prove difficult.

Not unlike last year, which is why, go get someone, if you can, if you think he's a fit. Teams that need QB's, almost always, pay too much for them, especially the lower you pick.

Last year would have been more value effective, next year will probably be worse.