A Case Against Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Playmaker said:
But jrry32, you made my point even more valid. These types of guys are available in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. WHy spend a first round pick on Austin when you can get a T.Y. Hilton in the 3rd round (yes I know Hilton isn't in this draft).

Because Tavon Austin is not going to be there in the 3rd round. You can make that argument with any position and player. QB is about the only position where you can't find numerous examples of Pro Bowl players in the mid and late rounds.

And you still have Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, etc.

And it is your opinion that Sanders and the kid from Texas are not the same player that Austin is. How do you know that they are not? What if you put Austin in the SEC on South Carolina's team? Would he be basically the same as Ace? He is the same type of player as these two. He's not an every down player in the NFL in which you do not take players who aren't on the field for all 3 downs in the first round

Yes, it's my opinion. I've watched every single game that Ace has played. I loved the kid when he was a freshman but Ace's future as a WR is very iffy. He might be able to be a solid slot WR but more likely, he's a guy who sticks on rosters in the NFL as a returnman. Even still, he doesn't have anywhere near Austin's athleticism and WR skills.

Goodwin has speed and lots of it. But again, doesn't come close to Austin's running ability and movement skills. Doesn't have the same sort of natural WR skills either. He's basically a go route WR at this stage.

Would Austin have been the same as Ace? No, he would have been far better.

I don't care if he's the same "type" of player as those two. He's the same "type" of player as DeSean Jackson as well. Austin Pettis is the same "type" of player as AJ Green.

The difference is that Austin like Green is far more skilled and far more talented than the guys he's being compared to.

As for him being a 3 down player...if Danny can be a 3 down player for us...Austin can be too if we want him to be.