A brief thought about Wade Phillips...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We can all agree that Wade is a pretty laid back kind of NFL coach, right?

Very understated in his remarks about his players and his '17 D prospects, wouldn't you say?

And yet, he did say that he felt that his secondary was gonna be much better than most people seemed to expect.

Hmmmmm...

What to conclude from such a comment from an understated DC? I mean, it's almost like Wade suddenly shouted. Lol.

I suspect that he really, really likes what he's seen from Joyner and Mo Alexander at the two S positions, so far. Wouldn't that be something?

Perhaps he also likes the TruJo, Webster, NRC combo at CB, too?

When a DC of Wade's caliber makes a simple statement like the above, I think it speaks volumes.

Who knows? Might our secondary become a team strength to go along with our front seven?

Hot Damn!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I truly believe that anything less than A Top 5 finish for our "D" this year will be considered a disappointing year! {And at Least 5 of them making the top 100 Players List!}

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I truly believe that anything less than A Top 5 finish for our "D" this year will be considered a disappointing year!
You've got some tough standards there.....and 5 defenders on the top 100.....only with a playoff berth.

I think our defense is the most talented group....I'd like to see these corners in press man coverage for a few weeks to see if what Son of Bum says....is really whats going on. Again...I'll go with what some says is our talent drop at wr....If our db's are having success, is it the defenders, or the wr talent?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We can all agree that Wade is a pretty laid back kind of NFL coach, right?

Very understated in his remarks about his players and his '17 D prospects, wouldn't you say?

And yet, he did say that he felt that his secondary was gonna be much better than most people seemed to expect.

Hmmmmm...

What to conclude from such a comment from an understated DC? I mean, it's almost like Wade suddenly shouted. Lol.

I suspect that he really, really likes what he's seen from Joyner and Mo Alexander at the two S positions, so far. Wouldn't that be something?

Perhaps he also likes the TruJo, Webster, NRC combo at CB, too?

When a DC of Wade's caliber makes a simple statement like the above, I think it speaks volumes.

Who knows? Might our secondary become a team strength to go along with our front seven?

Hot Damn!

Don't forget about Gaines. If he's fully recovered from injury, he could definitely fit into our plans at cornerback. And I do like Michael Jordan as a backup corner.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
If our offense can have sustainable drives, eat some time off the clock than I think the defense should be top 5/10 by end of season.
The offense has to click under McVay. ......The defense can do the job.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think what he meant was that with the CBs playing man they will get their hands on a lot more balls than they did playing that soft corner crap they played previously. With the pass rush the Rams should generate, a CB doesnt have to stick to his man very long before the ball has to come out or its a sack. A lot of hurried passes end up in the DBs hands.

And as far as top 5 D, anything less would be under performing IMO. Wade usually makes ok Ds good/great and good Ds great. Hes got better than average talent to work with, should be fun to watch.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Laid back? Our training camps were called "Camp Cupcake." That was his biggest flaw as a coach. I love him as DC.

Phillips > Marinelli.

It's not even close.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Laid back? Our training camps were called "Camp Cupcake." That was his biggest flaw as a coach. I love him as DC.

Phillips > Marinelli.

It's not even close.

Not as bad as Fisher's "Camp Snoopy." Maybe that was Fishers flaw. Bad HC, good DC.

It happens.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think the biggest difference in out Safety corps is that cover skills seem to come before big hit ability. TJ and McCleod were suspect in coverage but could kill a player. Mo and Joyner can lay wood, but they're a huge upgrade in coverage ability. Davis and Johnson are both cover safeties too.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still concerned with the corner position, and the ability of our pass rushers to stay healthy (i.e. Quinn), but whatever. This defense should be somewhere from 10th-15th in points allowed, but if they're better then I'm a happy fan.

What I want to see is what the passing game can do when teams load it up again a la 2016 to run/pass rush the F out of the line. If that is there, with Gurley in the backfield, we're in for a good time this season.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Still concerned with the corner position, and the ability of our pass rushers to stay healthy (i.e. Quinn), but whatever. This defense should be somewhere from 10th-15th in points allowed, but if they're better then I'm a happy fan.

What I want to see is what the passing game can do when teams load it up again a la 2016 to run/pass rush the F out of the line. If that is there, with Gurley in the backfield, we're in for a good time this season.

Staying healthy is going to be the key this year I think. I like our starters - I think TruJo has to up his game from last year though, - I like Webster and Robey-Coleman as new additions though, as well as bringing in Barwin.

IF our guys can make this new formation work I think we could have a very tasty D-unit. I really think Phillips WILL be able to make these guys play for him. He seems a totally different character to Williams from last year and I agree with you @Rams43 because he doesn't shoot off his mouth every 5 minutes, when he does say something small it's definitely worth taking notice. This guy has heritage, he's not going through the motions, he want's to succeed - it's in his blood.

As @Merlin mentioned, this year all revolves around our O though. Can Gurley get his mojo back (he definitely seems happier this offseason) and can Goff start playing to his #1 projection. I think we have a decent collection of targets now, maybe not elite WRs, but definitely talented guys.

What I've liked hearing though is that players respect and admire the way that McVay understands both sides of the ball, he's not just an Offensive minded HC, he gets the D side of things too, and that's where I think his talent lies, he seems to think like an elite QB, reading what he see's on the field. I don't think this guy is going to stick to a 'script' his game-plan will change and evolve

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.....And yet, he did say that he felt that his secondary was gonna be much better than most people seemed to expect.

.....I suspect that he really, really likes what he's seen from Joyner and Mo Alexander at the two S positions, so far. Wouldn't that be something?

.....Perhaps he also likes the TruJo, Webster, NRC combo at CB, too?

.....Might our secondary become a team strength to go along with our front seven?.....
I will agree with your suggestion that this DB might be a dandy. First off, Just looking at the 4 primary safeties going into TC. Alexander, Joyner, Davis & Johnson. Last season Fisher went into the reg.season with only 3 safeties(TJ/Mo/Cody) but just like 2016 Barron can flip back from starting LB'er @ any moment to SS in 2017 if needed. I like the two 2017 starters over the 2016 starters myself. Wade has a few other 2nd season safeties too in SS's Marqui Christian & Isaiah Johnson. IMO this safety cadre is highly upgraded from 2016.

Looking @ the Nickle & Dime skilled interior corners will also give us a smile. In 2016 Rams went with Coty Sensabaugh & Lamarcus Joyner. This season Wade still has Joyner available if needed but Wade added UFA 5th yr DB Nickell Robey-Coleman. He has 2nd season Blake Countess who earned his way onto the roster to play in 5 games 3 of which he finished as the starter in the Nickel. Then there is a clone of NRC in UDFA rookie Dominique Hatfield. Another DB who has good skills & talents in this cadre would be EJ Gaines. Rookie EJ played a lot of the Nickle back in 2014 & was much better @ it then, than rookie Joyner was. EJ is no longer a good boundary corner but would make an excellent Nickel or Dime in Wade's secondary.

Now lets get to the Boundary corners {BCB's}, Fisher went with only 5 last season with Tru & EJ as the starters along with WWC/UDFA Troy Hill. The Nickel Coty Sensabaugh was forced to start several games due to EJ nagging injuries once again in 2016. Coty was torched & burned & then fired. Rookie UDFA Micheal Jordan replaced Coty. Did not help as both Jordan & Hill were beat silly all season in the passing game but they fared much better in run support. Hill played in 12 gms & started 4. Jordan played in 4 gms started 2. Kevin Peterson lurked on & off the roster in 2016 but never dressed. Tru's overall play was mediocre @ best but he did start in 14 gms :shocked:for the first time since his arrival back in 2012:(.

In 2017 Wade has Trumaine Johnson & Kayvon Webster as probable starters. New UFA KW has only started 2 gms in his his past 4 seasons (that was back in 2013) but may end up being Wade's best boundary corner. Now the concern enters the picture :unsure:...NRC who I mentioned above in the Nickel & Dimes stands to be the 3rd best boundary{BCB}. 2nd yearlings Micheal Jordan & Troy Hill had scaly warts exposed all over them while play BCB. Jordan most likely will never be a starter in the NFL as a NFL BCB. I would expect to see him working with the Nickle & Dime defenses & his best NFL position (IMO) would be high safety. https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/7/6/15831136/la-rams-roster-2017-preview-mike-jordan

Hill has an SUP payment due early in regular season:palm:. The best BCB's after Tru/KW & NRC are 2 UDFA's Kevin Peterson & Rookie Aarion Penton. :cautious: Any long term injuries to our 2 starting BCB's will have a negative effect on this Wade D.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@BonifayRam

I think we may have something in Troy Hill...first season jitters hopefully out of the way....and NEW SCHEME!!!!! Check out his hi well lowlights...he's in pretty good position on most completions.

It sounds like you wanna cut EJ....I wanna give that ole Mizzu Tiger ONE more camp to see if he can get 2015 back in him...but as you know...Damn that kid is slow....LOLOLOLOL

Kevin Peterson has some good game film from Ok. State...

I don't know what they see in Penton.....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam

I think we may have something in Troy Hill...first season jitters hopefully out of the way....and NEW SCHEME!!!!! Check out his hi well lowlights...he's in pretty good position on most completions.

It sounds like you wanna cut EJ....I wanna give that ole Mizzu Tiger ONE more camp to see if he can get 2015 back in him...but as you know...Damn that kid is slow....LOLOLOLOL

Kevin Peterson has some good game film from Ok. State...

I don't know what they see in Penton.....

Hill has enough speed & enough flippy hips to stay with most WR's but he blew a bunch of coverage's & panic'd once he was knew the pass was directed towards him. Those are the UGLY warts along with that suspension will be a sizeable mountain to overcome in TC/PS period. He would be my 4th BCB at this time.

I like EJ but not @ BCB. There is some savings in the Cap if he is released. If we need a Nickle then EJ can handle that If we need a Dime EJ can handle that if we need a high safety EJ can handle that if we need a BCB to start... NOPE! Yes there is a slight chance he can get close to his mid 2014 season form but it's doubtful IMO.I'd would work RNC primarily @ BCB & go with Countess & Gaines as our Nickel & Dime's for this season. But Wade has other options @ those positions too with Joyner & Johnson.

@den-the-coach seems to have a high opinion of the rookie UDFA CB Pention.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I truly believe that anything less than A Top 5 finish for our "D" this year will be considered a disappointing year! {And at Least 5 of them making the top 100 Players List!}

You know Dave, you're usually the optimistic type. Sometimes more hopeful thinking than reality. But you might be more right the we realize with this projection. Probably not 5 guys in the top 100 because outside of Donald, Tru and Quinn most our guys are underrated around the league. But if Mo Alexander and Joyner are as good as I think they can be, our defense will easily be a top tier defense.

We know the front seven are really good. Its the back end that is the question mark. If Joyner and Alexander can excel in their new positions the secondary will be better than any of Fisher's were.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@den-the-coach seems to have a high opinion of the rookie UDFA CB Pention.
5626dbaad2d3c.image.jpg

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
But I am Consistent, and Dependable! I'm a " Glass-is-3/4-Full" Kinda Guy!!(y);):D:homercrawl:

Ya gotta love those kinda guys. A refreshing change from the sky is falling, gloom and doom guys like me. If it wasn't for the optimists us pessimists would never know how happy we aren't. :thinking::icare: