A Breakdown of Todd Gurley and Zone Blocking.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
http://theplaybook.sportsblog.com/p...todd-gurley-ii-and-the-zone-block-scheme.html

I found this article interesting for two reasons.

1. The chart it in which it breaksdown Gurley's running stats in terms of direction, quarter, base defense, etc.

2. It says that while zone blocking is typically worse against 3-4 defense, Gurley and the zone scheme were better against 3-4 teams. The Rams have 10 games against opponents that run a base 3-4.

Now I know some of it seems oversimplified. The Rams didn't always run zone (acknowledged by the writer) and there are plenty of sube packages defenses run, but I thought it was worth noting regardless. Also it's the offseason. I could post worse.

Also, Lotta of success off the left side over by G-Rob oddly enough.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd honestly like to see what the new offensive staff has done with the blocking; not entirely sure what they'll be running.

But another thing to consider here that is more important than how they did against 3-4 vs 4-3 defenses is the fact that so many starters last year were rookies. Given that, it's clear that Gurley made them look better than they were, which bodes well for IF they can actually give him consistent creases to explode through.

It's gonna be an interesting thing to watch. But just like with the defense IF the offensive line can get some health going on they're almost surely going to be a strong unit. I think Fish is correct in his expectations with them.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Let's give GRob some credit too.
0808429001466553210_filepicker.jpg

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
greg can run block, now if the receivers can hold onto the ball, and the new QB get them the ball, then maybe the offense wont have to be in catch up mode giving the opposing defense an advantage. (and the Rams defense as well) . the video shows just how good todd gurley is though. i cant imagine how good he'll be when the passing game gets going.

fearsomefour

Legend
Running more to the left, with more success....does Gurley prefer the left or is the blocking on that side just better? Robinson can run block and got better as the season went on. At times he was dominant run blocking. With a consistent stable mate (hopefully) at LG, be it Reynolds, Saffold or Brown more improvement is certainly possible.
The stat I really like is the improvement in YPC from 1st through 4th quarters. That is a great stat. Wear them down. Now, hopefully, playing with some leads, not turning the ball over, consistent defensive play....all these things can make the play action passing game a real thing for the Rams. Everything affects everything else.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The Film Room video at the bottom, which has been posted here before, is a must see. The Rams, when healthy, are GOING TO be able to RAM the ball down peoples throats with this personnel using the ZBS. It is a matter of keeping healthy and having more consistent QB play. The video also shows just how bad Cook was at all the worst possible times last year (every year) . Addition by subtraction.

I honestly think that is Keenum had started every game last year, the Rams win at least 10 of them. I realize how bad our offense was last year. That said, I don't think we need a vintage Peyton Manning back there. This team could win with a (gulp) Trent Dilfer managing the game when this offense is healthy and dialed in. Subtract the 3rd down drive KILLING Cook mistakes and keep the chains rolling. If Goff turns out to be a better than average starting NFL QB....watch out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@RAMpage
Any post is a great post my man....All info is much welcomed....So thanks for posting.
Given that, it's clear that Gurley made them look better than they were
Ahhh, the old chick or egg argument....I'd rather think that G-Rob is an effective blocker. Because the stats prove it's true. Gurley makes all players better...Esp. QB's...no reason to slight the line.....
does Gurley prefer the left or is the blocking on that side just better? Robinson can run block and got better as the season went on.
Gurley is left-handed. Not sure if his vision is better on that side or not....Hence, I'd argue that the push of G-Rob & Reynold/Saffold/Brown was a lil better over there. For some reason, probably talent/movement/strength, the hole were there. In fact, I saw quite a bit of movement when I watched the games...Havenstein is more of a wall off type...Brown is a great movement blocker...Wichman got better later, when we seemed to ease off Gurley...Bunch of things/variables to consider....
All in all, I like our line...The future is bright.

fearsomefour

Legend
@RAMpage
Any post is a great post my man....All info is much welcomed....So thanks for posting.

Ahhh, the old chick or egg argument....I'd rather think that G-Rob is an effective blocker. Because the stats prove it's true. Gurley makes all players better...Esp. QB's...no reason to slight the line.....
Gurley is left-handed. Not sure if his vision is better on that side or not....Hence, I'd argue that the push of G-Rob & Reynold/Saffold/Brown was a lil better over there. For some reason, probably talent/movement/strength, the hole were there. In fact, I saw quite a bit of movement when I watched the games...Havenstein is more of a wall off type...Brown is a great movement blocker...Wichman got better later, when we seemed to ease off Gurley...Bunch of things/variables to consider....
All in all, I like our line...The future is bright.
I agree over all with the line looking to continue to improve.
I am left handed but right footed....I always preferred going to my right running....but preferred to run out to receive the ball on the left hand side....funny how these things influence how we do things.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah nobody doubts GRob's run blocking ability. But getting constant creases for the backs vice defenders in the lanes and backfield is about the 5 of those guys collectively being on the same page. They were up and down all year on that, but Gurley's ability to bust big runs inflated his numbers. And, again, it's a GOOD thing, because when this line has a strong season he's gonna be downright insane.

The Average Per Rush of the backs gives a good indication of what I'm talking about. Gurley was a full yard per carry higher than Cunningham, who was a full yard per carry higher than Mason. TGII is poised for a year of enormous production IMO, because this time around when teams try to stack the box they're gonna get burned in the passing game. Plus he's gonna be utilized more as a pass catcher, think we can bank that.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Let's give GRob some credit too.
View attachment 14350

God I love this. Gurley just gets stronger and stronger as the game goes on. He beats them into submission and then breaks one off. I think our line could be pretty damn good this year if they've improved as much as they say. I've heard they've all gotten a lot stronger so I want to see some maulers up front.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The Film Room video at the bottom, which has been posted here before, is a must see.
Yes. I can't like this enough. Not sure why I didn't see it before if it was posted, but if anyone else missed it, it is no joke a must see. Maybe the problem is the title is misleading, it's not just a review of "Todd & Tavon v. Steelers", it is a complete breakdown of the Rams' offense. When you see the beauty of the run game, imagine subtracting Cook and subbing in a legit QB, and now add a new Groh passing system to it, you won't be able to refrain from chugging the kool-aid.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

It's funny now to look back at this great study of our offense from mid last year.
  • Foles was still viable.
  • The Rams, with Gurleys early success, we're starting to show offensive excitement. The video narrator actually speculates that they were becoming unstoppable.
  • He also was praising Cignetti.
  • The narrator also noted and showed video evidence of what we all find obvious now, "...and for the love of God, stop throwing the ball to Jared Cook!" :mad:
  • Soon after this analysis, the Rams had their "great meltdown." What happened?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was a well done video and I'm sorry it took me so long to finally see it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I agree over all with the line looking to continue to improve.
I am left handed but right footed....I always preferred going to my right running....but preferred to run out to receive the ball on the left hand side....funny how these things influence how we do things.

Same here, I'm left handed but right footed!

It came in very handy when I played soccer since I was on the wing, which is the outside for you non soccer doods.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been showing that video to friends and I just love their reactions. watching LB's indecisions just proves how hard the Rams basic O is do diagnose. The development of Higbee in that as a viable TE and it complicates things further for defenses. Rams are going to score with this Offense

Film room epi 11 is a "Must See" for every ram fan to understand what the rams will be doing this year. Excellent breakdown.