A breakdown of the Los Angeles Rams' 2017 draft class

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
A breakdown of the Los Angeles Rams' 2017 draft class and its progress after two weeks of training camp:

Gerald Everett, TE, second round (No. 44 overall): Everett at times appeared to be the No. 3 tight end in Saturday's preseason opener, with Temarrick Hemingway getting some snaps alongside Tyler Higbee with the first-team offense. But Everett has looked good catching passes with the second unit throughout training camp. He will eventually be used alongside Higbee in two-tight-end sets, with both of them capable of stretching the deep middle of the field.

Cooper Kupp, WR, third round (No. 69): Kupp, already 24, is about as polished as a rookie receiver gets. He's a precise route runner with reliable hands and great field awareness, which he showed while hauling in a couple of passes for 35 yards against the Dallas Cowboys. Kupp has already solidified a role as the Rams' slot receiver, an he will be heavily involved.

John Johnson, S, third round (No. 91): Johnson missed the offseason program because of injury, but Rams coach Sean McVay recently identified him as someone who "continues to emerge" on defense and special teams. "John’s clearly a talented athlete that had that versatility at Boston College, which is what we like so much about him," McVay said. Johnson could see time at both safety positions this season.

Josh Reynolds, WR, fourth round (No. 117): Reynolds was limited early in camp because of a quad injury, but he returned to practice late last week and should see some action in the Rams' second preseason game. Reynolds is long and can stretch the field, but he is also raw. And the Rams just traded for Sammy Watkins.

More people play on ESPN than anywhere else. Join or create a league in the No. 1 Fantasy Football game! Sign up for free!

Samson Ebukam, OLB, fourth round (No. 125): A soft-tissue injury has kept Ebukam from practicing, and others may be moving ahead of him on the depth chart. Linebackers Matt Longacre, Cassanova McKinzy and Carlos Thompson impressed in Saturday's preseason game. But the Rams like Ebukam's speed and explosiveness.

Tanzel Smart, NT, sixth round (No. 189): Smart helped seal the Rams' 13-10 win over the Cowboys by recovering a fumble late in the fourth quarter. Aaron Donald's holdout and Dominique Easley's season-ending knee injury have given Smart a lot of extra reps in camp. Smart is a 3-technique who was quick and disruptive in college, but it will take him some time to adjust to the NFL.

Sam Rogers, FB, sixth round (No. 206): Rogers -- a stocky, relentless, do-everything fullback -- has wowed onlookers with some nice moves in open space during camp. His playing time will hinge on how the Rams use Cory Harkey and how McVay integrates fullbacks into his offense.

Ejuan Price, OLB, seventh round (No. 234): The Rams addressed their linebacker depth with the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense, and now it's a little bit crowded. Price, listed at 5-foot-11 and 241 pounds, is undersized, but he has good burst and can be an effective sub-package rusher. It may be hard for him to push through this season, but he did do a nice job creating pressure on Saturday.

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...ooper-kupp-already-looks-like-an-nfl-receiver

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think they got some weapons for Goff and like I said before watch out for Reynolds, he will stretch the field and be your red zone target. If I'm not mistaken he led the SEC in receiving last year. Also some of the defensive players taken later in the draft are showing some promise.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I am really going to cringe as they cut some of these linebackers and defensive ends.

I do have to wonder if it is Phillips system that makes them look so good but dang they look active.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am really going to cringe as they cut some of these linebackers and defensive ends.I do have to wonder if it is Phillips system that makes them look so good but dang they look active.
I had the same thought as you was it the Wade Coaching System (WCS) or better player improvements? May be more 70% Wade >30 % players. This 34 WCS just seems to propel these young players into playing like it's fun to do it!

I posted many times of my concerns before the draft about the Rams depth @ the exterior LB'ing post. But I was seriously surprised by what I thought would be WWC material in September. Both of the stars last Saturday big enforcers @ these positions were here last season & buried & standing in shorts on the sidelines most all of the Greg Williams season.

With Longacre, McKinzy, Littleton & Price looking good in TC & with 1 PS gm behind them & then you add in the past all pro's Barwin & Quinn In addition top rookie Edge Rusher Samson Ebukam who has been injured all of TC you see a serious abundance of master roster elements.

I should keep in mind that I observed WCS utilized those OLB'ers in 3 pt. (DE) stance in his 4 man front DL in the Nickle & Dime defenses. Meaning the need for a heavy DL unit appears to be lessened to carrying only 6. Maybe Snead will be able to trade some of this LB'er wealth for a Right side OL'er who Kromer could start or a boundary CB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I had the same thought as you was it the Wade Coaching System (WCS) or better player improvements? May be more 70% Wade >30 % players. This 34 WCS just seems to propel these young players into playing like it's fun to do it!

I posted many times of my concerns before the draft about the Rams depth @ the exterior LB'ing post. But I was seriously surprised by what I thought would be WWC material in September. Both of the stars last Saturday big enforcers @ these positions were here last season & buried & standing in shorts on the sidelines most all of the Greg Williams season.

With Longacre, McKinzy, Littleton & Price looking good in TC & with 1 PS gm behind them & then you add in the past all pro's Barwin & Quinn In addition top rookie Edge Rusher Samson Ebukam who has been injured all of TC you see a serious abundance of master roster elements.

I should keep in mind that I observed WCS utilized those OLB'ers in 3 pt. (DE) stance in his 4 man front DL in the Nickle & Dime defenses. Meaning the need for a heavy DL unit appears to be lessened to carrying only 6. Maybe Snead will be able to trade some of this LB'er wealth for a Right side OL'er who Kromer could start or a boundary CB.

The starting 5 are going to be the starting 5 as McVay stated !! The switch
Of Brown & Hav is not a big deal . They were the 2015 & 2016 starters as well.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am really going to cringe as they cut some of these linebackers and defensive ends.

I do have to wonder if it is Phillips system that makes them look so good but dang they look active.

I am just impressed overall they are playing with a 110% every snap and damn are they hitting hard. I just can't wait to see the final product after pre season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Havenstien was in 2015 & 2016 Brown was not. McVay may saying it but I'm not buying it .....Jamon Brown as a good starter @ RG .....not going to happen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Havenstien was in 2015 & 2016 Brown was not. McVay may saying it but I'm not buying it .....Jamon Brown as a good starter @ RG .....not going to happen.

2015 he was & were was he playing in 2016 They did start a handful of games next to each other ?

Keep window shopping. At some point your going to buy in imo .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
2015 he was & were was he playing in 2016 They did start a handful of games next to each other ?

This is what I know about 2016.....Brown & Wichmann rotated the 1st game of the season..Wichmann played better & by the end of the game remained on the field of play @ RG in the 4th quarter & got much more snaps. Cody Wichmann went on to start 10 games @ RG. Brown started @ RG wk #6 for Cody due to injury. When Cody Wichmann gave way to injury it was Andrew Donnal who finished for Cody & then went on to start @ RG. Brown started 3 games @ LG for Rodger Saffold & started RG in wk#17 in place of Donnal who was filling in for Havenstein. Please let me know where I may be wrong.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Did Sam Rodgers play? I wanna see the guy that beats out Harkey.....IF he beats out Harkey....I need to hit his uncle Charles up for some tickets....I was gonna wait until 2019...in the new place.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I am just impressed overall they are playing with a 110% every snap and damn are they hitting hard. I just can't wait to see the final product after pre season.
Wade Phillips has done more with less talent then we have here before.
I don't think other teams were loaded with former All Pros like Quinn, borderline Pro Bowlers like Brockers and Alec Ogletree and players like Aaron Donald.
Add on a Connor Barwin and you have the basis for a real kick-ass defense.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not feeling so high on Brown anymore.
Yes he started games in 2015 and 2016 but he wasn't that impressive and was prone to injury.

Injuries on a young offensive line that is still trying to gel can ruin continuity and retard the development of said O line.
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they decided to bring in somebody more durable hoping they can develop him out.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Did Sam Rodgers play? I wanna see the guy that beats out Harkey.....IF he beats out Harkey....I need to hit his uncle Charles up for some tickets....I was gonna wait until 2019...in the new place.
If they do decide to go with Harkey for any reason, ( which could be as simple as rookie jitters by Sam or him being slow to pick up the playbook or they just feel that Harkey is a better lead blocker ) a fullback would be a good person to stash on the practice squad due to the fact that a lot of teams don't use real fullbacks.

These next 3 preseason games will tell a lot about how they feel about Sam Rogers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is what I know about 2016.....Brown & Wichmann rotated the 1st game of the season..Wichmann played better & by the end of the game remained on the field of play @ RG in the 4th quarter & got much more snaps. Cody Wichmann went on to start 10 games @ RG. Brown started @ RG wk #6 for Cody due to injury. When Cody Wichmann gave way to injury it was Andrew Donnal who finished for Cody & then went on to start @ RG. Brown started 3 games @ LG for Rodger Saffold & started RG in wk#17 in place of Donnal who was filling in for Havenstein. Please let me know where I may be wrong.

Your always on top of it for sure. Didn't Jamon Brown hurt his hand ?? I think I recall that at some point .

He did start 5 games in 2016. Maybe the hand was 2015 ?

I think Big Rob & Jamon Brown have good chemistry. You can really see it on a couple plays against Dallas.

Where I think your wrong isJamon Brown will be a solid starter in 2017. That though is just my opinion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your always on top of it for sure. Didn't Jamon Brown hurt his hand ?? I think I recall that at some point .

He did start 5 games in 2016. Maybe the hand was 2015 ?

I think Big Rob & Jamon Brown have good chemistry. You can really see it on a couple plays against Dallas.

Where I think your wrong isJamon Brown will be a solid starter in 2017. That though is just my opinion.

In 2016 Brown was inactive wk#4 later JB sustained hand injury on during practice on 10/20/2016. Thus JB was out for the Giants game. JB underwent surgery on his hand during the Rams' 2016 bye week. JB was unable to return to active status until wk 12 & that's when GRob was benched & Saffold started for GRob. JB was finlly given a chance to start @ LG. @ some point Saffold hurt his hand & JB started again for Saffold @ LG.

I am still of the opinion that JB can be a very good starting OG but it will be on the left side. JB's mediocre play has mostly came while he was performing on the right side. Only time will see if I am wrong. I certainly hope I am totally wrong here.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not feeling so high on Brown anymore.
Yes he started games in 2015 and 2016 but he wasn't that impressive and was prone to injury.

Injuries on a young offensive line that is still trying to gel can ruin continuity and retard the development of said O line.
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they decided to bring in somebody more durable hoping they can develop him out.
I believe Big Rob has been hurt more than Brown.I think they are gelling alright. The POINT that everyone is Missing about Big Rob & Briwn is the depth they give The Rams from the switch in OTA's , especially with Donnal being hurt.

I went to the San Diego Scrimmage & saw hope the offensive line group is solid together. Whichmann & Sullivan bring so much to the table in leadership. I really like the core of these 5 players !!

Watching the Dallas game I don't see what everyone else is seeing on how bad Brown played. One play maybe 2 or 3 at most.If Goff completes his first pass who knows what 3rd down would have looked like ?
JAMON BROWN missed a Block & McVay even addressed it in his press conference. I'm sure it was addressed very firmly & Jamon understoods
In 2016 Brown was inactive wk#4 later JB sustained hand injury on during practice on 10/20/2016. Thus JB was out for the Giants game. JB underwent surgery on his hand during the Rams' 2016 bye week. JB was unable to return to active status until wk 12 & that's when GRob was benched & Saffold started for GRob. JB was finlly given a chance to start @ LG. @ some point Saffold hurt his hand & JB started again for Saffold @ LG.

I am still of the opinion that JB can be a very good starting OG but it will be on the left side. JB's mediocre play has mostly came while he was performing on the right side. Only time will see if I am wrong. I certainly hope I am totally wrong here.

I always enjoy your perspective on things. You give great facts , and call it as you see it. Roger Saffold still scares me a little bit from injury. The last practice I went to he got knocked on his butt & rolled up in a ball against San Diego. He finished the Red Zone drill , but I thought the worst at first. Crazy as soon as I totally believing in him.

What I like about these 5 are that they are a squad & stick together. Didn't like Saffold & Robinson not getting along when things got tough.