9 Rams that may have played their last game for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/1...ents-tj-mcdonald-trumaine-johnson-case-keenum

The Los Angeles Rams had their work cut out for them prior to the 2016 season...especially on the defensive side of the football, where they’re strongest.

But as the dust settled on the last free agency period, the Rams lost quite a bit. Arguably the best cornerback on their team, Janoris Jenkins signed with the New York Giants. He’s ballin’.

Free safety Rodney McLeod also found himself in the NFC East with the Eagles.

The Rams had no answer at filling their spots, and what they intended on doing didn’t come close to replicating their level of play.

And with one week left in the regular season, it’s safe to say the Rams (4-11) can turn their attention to the offseason. Because the Rams have more work - maybe more than last year - to do prior to the 2017 year.

The Rams will soon name a new head coach. And with him, a new staff. The scheme will change. The personnel will change. Things will change.

And looking at the upcoming year, there are nine Rams who may have already played their last game in a Rams’ uniform.

Here’s their list of 2017 unrestricted free agents:

(CB) Trumaine Johnson (26)
He may have been the best corner on the team when Janoris was in town. He’s clearly the best in his absence. And it’s not even close. He should be a priority for the Rams, but the price tag may dictate whether or not he’s retained.

Spotrac has him valued (in 2017) at 4 years, $57M ($14M per year)

(WR) Kenny Britt (28)
28 years young, Kenny Britt has been a bright spot on the Rams’ offense in 2016. He’s their biggest receiving threat, and surpassed the 1,000 yard last week...something that hasn’t been accomplished since Torry Holt in 2007.

Spotrac has him valued (in 2017) at 3 years, $20.1M ($6.7M per year)

(QB) Case Keenum (28)
Case is an admirable backup. And at the same time, there might be a younger, more viable suitor at his position. Having a veteran QB as a backup is nice...but I think the fans are hoping to see more of Sean Mannion.

(WR) Brian Quick (27)
What more do you need to see?

(RB) Benny Cunningham (26)
There was a slight fear that Benny would be lost in free agency prior to the onset of the 2016 season. He’s a very solid RB2 (averaging 4.8 ypc on limited work) and has performed admirably as a kick returner for the Rams. Oddly, despite his contributions, it seems as though he may be on his way out.

(K) Greg Zuerlein (29)
It’s hit or miss with Greg. And that’s reality. And when did he get so football old?!

(RB) Chase Reynolds (29)
A special teams savant. He’s occupying a space on the active roster for special teams’ purposes only. I can’t imagine he’s brought back with Jeff Fisher out of the picture.

(DE) Cam Thomas (30)
Flip a coin. Cam has been on the field quite a bit this year. He’s a depth player, and wouldn’t make a significant impact on the salary cap regardless.

(S) T.J. McDonald (25)
A bone cruncher in the secondary, McDonald is entering the final year of his rookie deal. He’ll make more highlight reel hits than INT’s, but should definitely be in consideration to be re-signed, regardless of whether or not Gregg Williams sticks.

Are any of these guys top priorities in the upcoming offseason? Who should they aim to keep? And who is free to a new home?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Johnson will have to be retained by hook or by crook (or by franchise tag again).
Britt will want more money than they gave Tavon, so he'll probably leave.
Benny has been your best RB throughout 2016; I'd say he has to be retained, but some team might try to make him their #1 RB option.
McDonald is, IMO, the best player not named Donald on the team, but you're stacked with strong safeties. Barron won't be an OLB for any non-big-nickel scheme and Alexander has no business being a FS. Options are on the roster. McD will, unfortunately, not be retained.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only one I'd bring back on that list at the prices they're likely to demand is GZ. I love me some TJ but he's replaceable by a guy on the roster and cheaper. Reynolds is a special teams stud but those are replaceable. If Trumaine was a healthier version of himself sure but at what they're saying he'll command for salary? No thanks.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
In order of importance, I'd keep:
Trumaine Johnson (if the price is right)
TJ McDonald -- lock him up before he hits the open market
Benny Cunningham -- more than his role as a KR, he's been clutch on 3rd downs when used properly (i.e. in an offense NOT run by Rob Boras).
and if there's cap room to keep Legatron, go for it

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Lock up Johnson and McDonald. You can not make a habit out of letting your best players who are 25 and 26 walk in their prime. Bad business and bad cap management. Unless Joyner can fill in for McDonald then maybe you let him walk. Nobody else in my opinion is a priority or anyone to overextend for.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lock up Johnson and McDonald. You can not make a habit out of letting your best players who are 25 and 26 walk in their prime. Bad business and bad cap management. Unless Joyner can fill in for McDonald then maybe you let him walk. Nobody else in my opinion is a priority or anyone to overextend for.

I am kind of with you.

I'm not sure the market for these guys, but seeing Jenkins leave and thrive has been painful.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
IMO McDonald is going to cost a lot of jack and is redundant on the Rams roster. If they hadn't given Barron his extension, I'd completely agree with you, but Barron is going to need somewhere to play in a non-Williams defense. Unless they're willing to eat the dead money, which seems to be $4m in 2017.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Tru J, T-Mac, Britt, Benny and Greg, Z if the price is right. If the price is too high, none of these guys are make or break if they'll be active in free agency. Whatever they decide to do, next year should be all about Goff's development. They mortgaged the farm for him. They have to go all in to make it work. If they have to sacrifice some defense to get him some help at line and receiver, then thats what it has to be.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/1...ents-tj-mcdonald-trumaine-johnson-case-keenum

The Los Angeles Rams had their work cut out for them prior to the 2016 season...especially on the defensive side of the football, where they’re strongest.

But as the dust settled on the last free agency period, the Rams lost quite a bit. Arguably the best cornerback on their team, Janoris Jenkins signed with the New York Giants. He’s ballin’.

Free safety Rodney McLeod also found himself in the NFC East with the Eagles.

The Rams had no answer at filling their spots, and what they intended on doing didn’t come close to replicating their level of play.

And with one week left in the regular season, it’s safe to say the Rams (4-11) can turn their attention to the offseason. Because the Rams have more work - maybe more than last year - to do prior to the 2017 year.

The Rams will soon name a new head coach. And with him, a new staff. The scheme will change. The personnel will change. Things will change.

And looking at the upcoming year, there are nine Rams who may have already played their last game in a Rams’ uniform.

Here’s their list of 2017 unrestricted free agents:

(CB) Trumaine Johnson (26)
He may have been the best corner on the team when Janoris was in town. He’s clearly the best in his absence. And it’s not even close. He should be a priority for the Rams, but the price tag may dictate whether or not he’s retained.

Spotrac has him valued (in 2017) at 4 years, $57M ($14M per year)

(WR) Kenny Britt (28)
28 years young, Kenny Britt has been a bright spot on the Rams’ offense in 2016. He’s their biggest receiving threat, and surpassed the 1,000 yard last week...something that hasn’t been accomplished since Torry Holt in 2007.

Spotrac has him valued (in 2017) at 3 years, $20.1M ($6.7M per year)

(QB) Case Keenum (28)
Case is an admirable backup. And at the same time, there might be a younger, more viable suitor at his position. Having a veteran QB as a backup is nice...but I think the fans are hoping to see more of Sean Mannion.

(WR) Brian Quick (27)
What more do you need to see?

(RB) Benny Cunningham (26)
There was a slight fear that Benny would be lost in free agency prior to the onset of the 2016 season. He’s a very solid RB2 (averaging 4.8 ypc on limited work) and has performed admirably as a kick returner for the Rams. Oddly, despite his contributions, it seems as though he may be on his way out.

(K) Greg Zuerlein (29)
It’s hit or miss with Greg. And that’s reality. And when did he get so football old?!

(RB) Chase Reynolds (29)
A special teams savant. He’s occupying a space on the active roster for special teams’ purposes only. I can’t imagine he’s brought back with Jeff Fisher out of the picture.

(DE) Cam Thomas (30)
Flip a coin. Cam has been on the field quite a bit this year. He’s a depth player, and wouldn’t make a significant impact on the salary cap regardless.

(S) T.J. McDonald (25)
A bone cruncher in the secondary, McDonald is entering the final year of his rookie deal. He’ll make more highlight reel hits than INT’s, but should definitely be in consideration to be re-signed, regardless of whether or not Gregg Williams sticks.

Are any of these guys top priorities in the upcoming offseason? Who should they aim to keep? And who is free to a new home?
Me, Personally, I'd let Keenum-Quick and Thomas go and resign the rest! JMHO!

WoodsideRam

Rookie
I wouldn't be surprised if a team like the Pats scoop up Benny if the Rams take a pass. He can return kicks. He's a great #2 back who can fill in if your starter goes down. He's a winner.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If they have to sacrifice some defense to get him some help at line and receiver, then thats what it has to be.
This^^ I completely disagree with!! I don't think it will be necessary at all!!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I wouldn't be surprised if a team like the Pats scoop up Benny if the Rams take a pass. He can return kicks. He's a great #2 back who can fill in if your starter goes down. He's a winner.
Unlikely, the Pats have James White and Dion Lewis under contract next year to be the change-of-pace and pass-catching part of the backfield.

Packers, though... Lacy's contract is up, Starks is old as hell, Montgomery is a speed demon... Benny could fit into that lineup like a glove.

Lesson

Oh, really?
From that list, Reynolds, Quick, Thomas, and Keenum are guys who I'd be indifferent if they left.

As for the others, I would like to see the Rams try to retain them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
None of these Ram 2017 UFA's are worthy of serious considerations IMO. I do like RB Benny Cunningham.

I sure would be looking elsewhere for solid better deals. If you desire to spend future Rams salary $$$ best to invest in players like MLB Alec Ogletree, DT Aaron Donald & DB Lamarcus Joyner. Plus looking at other teams free agents.

I cannot argue that CB Trumaine Johnson is the Rams only bona fide NFL starting corner on this team. I could mount a decent argument as to why the Rams would need to keep Trumaine. But the basis of my pro elements on his behalf of Tru is due to the current very weak Fisher/Williams cadre corner unit. Not based on the performance delivered by Tru in 2017. The super high all pro price tag $$$$$ that is waiting for him on the open market is way out of line in comparison to what he brings on game day to the defense.

Tru in 5 seasons has never had a sack & has only 1 forced fumble:palm:. His tackles are way down this season. Tru is not the playmaker that many here comment on. Tru has only averages 3 INT's a season. His demanding future salary of over 14 million a year with a 60 mil total along with some serious guaranteed cash is way out of line :shades:for a team now entering another major refurbishing building operation.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you can get Britt for that 6-7 yr range you resign him a lot of these guys are cali guys so if the Rams offer fair market I think they stay but 14 per yr to Trumaine is crazy when they could have gave it to Jenkins. I think anywhere between 6-8 million for TJ Mac should be enough for him to stay

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
IMO McDonald is going to cost a lot of jack and is redundant on the Rams roster. If they hadn't given Barron his extension, I'd completely agree with you, but Barron is going to need somewhere to play in a non-Williams defense. Unless they're willing to eat the dead money, which seems to be $4m in 2017.

Fair points and as mentioned if there is a cheaper alternative I can get behind let him walk. It just bothers me when we draft and develop players only to let them walk in their prime.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The question is - how big of a premium will the Rams need to pay to keep the desirable ones? There will be a new system, so there isn't a comfort level or guaranteed playing time if they stay anyway. And another rebuild means it's likely a year or two at least away from the playoffs. I would expect zero loyalty shown by the free agents, so the Rams will be back in the position of either overpaying or getting second tier free agents.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The question is - how big of a premium will the Rams need to pay to keep the desirable ones? There will be a new system, so there isn't a comfort level or guaranteed playing time if they stay anyway. And another rebuild means it's likely a year or two at least away from the playoffs. I would expect zero loyalty shown by the free agents, so the Rams will be back in the position of either overpaying or getting second tier free agents.
Does the Cali income tax make much of a difference? I've read that players like Suh like going to Miami because of Florida's zero income tax. I'd imagine Illinois and California would have to increase the $$ a little bit to make up for their higher tax brackets.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Can we still use the transition tag? There are solid points on both sides of the debate with TJ Mac, maybe a third way is to give him the transition tag and see if you can't get something for him in trade.

I'd love to keep Benny, but I just have a feeling he's going to want to go somewhere where he gets more PT, and will be able to get a contract that is too much to pay at #2 RB. I would make him an offer commensurate with #2 RB money, but I don't expect that will be enough to keep him.

TruJo I try to keep, we are thin at CB.

I still try to re-sign GZ. He made a commitment in the offseason and bounced back pretty good this year.

The rest I let walk no matter what.