9/9 Practice Report: Gurley Primed for Strong Year 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Practice Report 9/9: Gurley Primed for Strong Year 2

By Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

If you’re a competitor like Rams running back Todd Gurley, the preseason probably isn’t much fun.

First of all, the games don’t count. And when you’re the focal point of the offense like Gurley, as seen on Hard Knocks, the coaching staff likely doesn’t want you getting hit very much.

It’s all about making sure the team is in the best shape possible to begin the season. And now that Week 1 has arrived, everyone is looking forward to Todd Gurley receiving his usual starter’s workload against the 49ers.

“He does some amazing things,” offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said. “It always makes the offensive linemen feel good when your running back gets about 20, 30 yards.

“It’s just like — yes,” Saffold continued with a laugh, “because it’s a lot better for an offensive lineman when you score in four plays than when you score in 12.”

This year, Gurley will be breaking off those explosive runs with a “C” on his uniform. The running back has been named a captain for the first time, showing the immense respect Gurley has earned after his AP Offensive Rookie of the Year season in 2015.

“It means a lot,” Gurley said Friday. “I’m honored and I’m going to to take that role and try to lead this team as much as I can.”

The knee injury Gurley suffered his final year of college that kept him out until Week 3 last year is effectively behind him. Even if it did affect Gurley in 2015, he was still able to become the league’s No. 3 rusher with 1,106 yards.

“I still do a little maintenance stuff twice a week — just make sure I get a couple extra strength exercises.” Gurley said. “But other than that, that’s about it.”

“This offseason I was able to do a lot more than I was the past offseason because of my knee,” Gurley added. “So I was able to do extra workouts and stuff like that.”

If there’s one element the Georgia product appears to want to add this year, it’s becoming a better receiver. Gurley was targeted only 26 times last season, making 21 receptions for 188 yards and no touchdowns. That latter stat is what Gurley really wants to change.

“It’s about time for me to get a receiving touchdown this year,” Gurley said. “Hopefully I’ll get at least one, so that’ll be an improvement from last year, for sure.”

Gurley sat out the second contest against the 49ers in 2015 with a toe injury, but he was electric in the first. He recorded 20 carries for 133 yards, including a 71-yard touchdown run during which he used his speed to go untouched from the line of scrimmage to the end zone.

This matchup will be featured on Monday Night Football, which creates a spotlight Gurley embraces.

“I love it,” Gurley said. “I love the big games, everybody’s watching and that’s what we’re made for.”

With a new coaching staff, the 49ers brought in Jim O’Neil to be their defensive coordinator. He held the same position with the Browns last year — another team Gurley torched for over 125 yards rushing. Still, San Francisco has some strong defenders that could be a challenge for Gurley.

“Obviously, their linebackers are great — they have some great linebackers inside, outside,” Gurley said. “Their interior defensive linemen are pretty good. I know they have a couple guys banged up, but it’s the first game of the year, so they’re going to be ready to play as much as we are.”

One of the players Gurley figures to meet up with a bunch on Monday is linebacker NaVorro Bowman, who led the league in tackles last year.

“It’s the best versus the best,” Gurley said. “Somebody’s got to come out on top, somebody has to lose.”

Niners head coach Chip Kelly said this week the key to trying to slow down Gurley is team tackling — if defenders can catch up to him.

“Very rarely are you going to get one person to get him on the ground,” Kelly said. “We have to do a great job in our leverage of the running back and we have to do a great job in guys running to the football, playing with great effort because he made such an impact as a rookie.”

“I think he’s faster than people give him credit for, maybe,” Kelly continued. “But he’s also such a big, physical runner – you’re going to have to get a lot of guys around him and you’re going to have to gang-tackle him.”

And so even though the running back took only four carries during the preseason, he’s feeling ready for the bright lights — and many carries — that will come on Monday night.

“I feel like my practice habits have been pretty good, just as far as finishing my runs and just out here every day, going hard as much as possible,” Gurley said. “So once the game comes, I feel like I’ll be fine.”

EXTRA POINTS

— Los Angeles had some good news on the injury front, as the team was able upgrade two players on the report. Right tackle Rob Havenstein (foot) and linebacker Bryce Hager (concussion) both went from limited participants on Thursday to full participants on Friday.

The remainder of the report went unchanged, as cornerback E.J. Gaines (thigh), wide receiver Pharoh Cooper (shoulder), and wide receiver Nelson Spruce (knee) all did not participate on Friday.

— Los Angeles reached an injury settlement with offensive lineman Garrett Reynolds, terminating his contract. The Rams placed Reynolds on injured reserve following the club’s final preseason game during the roster reduction from 75 to 53 players.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So Gaines may not play. Uggh.
I feel better getting Hav back, though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So Gaines may not play. Uggh.
I feel better getting Hav back, though.

I concur I communicated many times Gaines was the one player that needed to play to solidify the secondary as I have absolutely no confidence in Coty Sensabaugh whatsoever. I would rather go with Troy Hill at RCB, however, I know for some damn reason Williams & Fisher will start Sensabaugh which IMO makes no sense at all.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“It’s just like — yes,” Saffold continued with a laugh, “because it’s a lot better for an offensive lineman when you score in four plays than when you score in 12.”
This^!! As long as your "D" is getting a lot of "3 and Out's or Turnovers"! I don't want to see our "D" getting warn-out in the 4th Quarter! That could prove fatal!!(y);)

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It really hurts that Gaines, Cooper and Spruce are going to miss the game. I hope that at least be of them are ready to go in week 2 especially Gaines.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I concur I communicated many times Gaines was the one player that needed to play to solidify the secondary as I have absolutely no confidence in Coty Sensabaugh whatsoever. I would rather go with Troy Hill at RCB, however, I know for some damn reason Williams & Fisher will start Sensabaugh which IMO makes no sense at all.
God I hope your wrong on Sensabaugh starting. If the secondary looks anything like it did in the preseason we could easily lose this game.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
God I hope your wrong on Sensabaugh starting. If the secondary looks anything like it did in the preseason we could easily lose this game.
Rest easy.The 49ers face a major tough task against one of the league’s top 5 defensive lines, led by Donald, as well as Robert Quinn and William Hays, etc,etc (9 deep vastly talented line). Consistent pressure up front will give the Rams a huge advantage☜(゚ヮ゚☜) .

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Rest easy.The 49ers face a major tough task against one of the league’s top 5 defensive lines, led by Donald, as well as Robert Quinn and William Hays, etc,etc (9 deep vastly talented line). Consistent pressure up front will give the Rams a huge advantage☜(゚ヮ゚☜) .
At first I was thinking the same thing but it appears that their oline has improved. And if they use quick passing attack and we use that stupid soft coverage I hate they can dink and dunk us all game long. Hope we knock out the QB so Kaperdick has to play.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think that going to happen hot. I went to the Rams final TC and GW was hard on the DB's playing close to the line and in their face if they didn't jam the recievers up at the snap. I tend to think that soft coverage in pre season was more to avoid injury and just get them back into the swing of things. I sure hope so. :boxing:

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I don't think that going to happen hot. I went to the Rams final TC and GW was hard on the DB's playing close to the line and in their face if they didn't jam the recievers up at the snap. I tend to think that soft coverage in pre season was more to avoid injury and just get them back into the swing of things. I sure hope so. :boxing:

It's a crap shoot w Williams. He leaves guys on an island with his blitzes and put them in zone coverage off the ball...so when the rush doesn't "get home", the DB's take the blame.

Blitzing often is a Williams trait. But with effective veterans...I hope he plays more of a consistent scheme where the rush is by 4 or 5 players and the DB's get to be aggressive eliminating the quick hits that have killed us before.

Frankly, I'm more hoping this defense learns how to defend : 1) screens 2) play action TE's on crossing routes, and 3) power runs the wash out the LB's if the line gets blocked.

Sadly, I believe Gregg is who he is and will gamble away big chunks of yardage by going for broke too often...like a golfer who is always trying to out drive the field and gambles on the big approach rather than being smart by laying up when the game dictates such a move.

On the flip side, expect slobber-knocking hits, a couple turnovers, and a handful of sacks. Oh, let's not forget the requisite four or more neutral zone infractions and a couple killer PI calls. Feast or famine. That's the Williams way

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I hope your right