8 Benchmarks the Rams need to hit to ensure success

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Eight benchmarks the St. Louis Rams need to hit to ensure success
By Ted Bryant
July 07, 2014

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...s_rams_need_to_hit_to_ensure_success/16797799

With just about two weeks left before team activities resume with training camp, NFL fans (and writers) are just about out of the dreaded mid-summer vacuum of content regarding their favorite teams. Listicles abound, and HOT TAKES are at a peak, but this time of the year (in my opinion) is best-served for expectation setting.

It’s too early to tell what the 2014 Rams can be, as we’ve barely had a glimpse at the rookie class and haven’t had a good look at quarterback Sam Bradford and tackle Jake Long in their respective quests to return on time from rehabilitation. It’s also unclear which players will continue upon and improve in their development and which will inevitably suffer a regression.

However, individual performances aside, there are a few benchmarks we can input at even a stage this early that will likely be keys to the team’s success. Should the Rams come within the ballpark of the areas noted below, it will mean the team stayed healthy, their run-first system worked, and they very likely won a majority of their games.

However, as is the cliché, it all begins up front. The 2014 Rams are going to be successful if they:

Get 75 combined starts out of their top-rated offensive line.

The 75 total isn’t a perfect 16-game season from the entire starting five, which at this point projects to be (from left to right) Jake Long, Greg Robinson, Scott Wells, Rodger Saffold, and Joe Barksdale. In fact, it allows for a five-game cushion for small knocks picked up and fatigue issues that tend to take place throughout an NFL season. This will be an area to keep an eye on, as the team has been the victim of continuous injuries to the offensive line resulting in inconsistent levels of play. There is depth among the unit in free agent signing Davin Joseph and up-and-comers Tim Barnes and Barrett Jones, but keeping the team’s top front five intact is one of the keys to the season.

Give up fewer than 30 sacks.

Keeping Bradford upright and out of harm’s way will be crucial. When the season starts, the long-maligned signal caller will have been out of action since Week 7 of last season when he suffered a season-ending knee injury. While all signs are positive that he’ll be 100 percent by kickoff in Week 1, I’m sure we can all agree that it’s for the best to keep opposing pass rushers off of him just to be safe. The team, despite its rash of injuries last season, was among the league’s best units in allowed sacks. Their total of 36 was the 8th lowest in the league, but look for it to be an even greater emphasis as Bradford works his way back onto the field.

Have a running play percentage greater than 50 percent.

I wrote a piece dedicated specifically to this aspect of the Rams offense and how it compares to Seattle and San Francisco, so give it a look for the entire run down. Basically, the Seahawks and 49ers have established themselves as league powerhouses with a run-oriented attack that’s complimented by capable quarterbacks and reliable, play-making receivers. The Rams, following the emergence of running back Zac Stacy last season, look poised to follow suit. If, by season’s end, they’ve called more run plays than pass plays, it means their hard-nosed style was effective and the personnel they’ve acquired to implement it were able to make it go.

Gain 2,100 team rushing yards.

In the same regard, it’s reasonable to expect a run-first team to put up some pretty serious numbers on the ground. Last season, despite Stacy’s 250 rushing attempts in 12 games, the Rams were among the league’s bottom half in team yards gained. Backup Benny Cunningham proved effective in a slasher role, but despite Stacy’s success as the premiere back, the team will need even more out of its backfield if its system is to be effective. 2,100 combined yards seems about right. While that total would put them among the top 7-8 teams in the league, it remains to be seen whether Stacy, Cunningham, and rookie Tre Mason are up to the task.

Have two receivers break 700 yards receiving.

The offense looks likely to resume its run-heavy approach, but as we saw in 2013, it won’t mean anything without a complimentary passing attack. Outside of the acquisition of Kenny Britt, the Rams have opted to move forward with the same relatively abysmal receiving corps they employed 2013. There have been positive reviews so far in regards to improvements seen in OTAs, but that all has to be taken with a grain of salt. For the Rams offense to be successful in 2014, they probably won’t need the 1,000 yard, 10+ touchdown receiver that the team has lacked since the days of Torry Holt. If the offense goes full-on hard-nosed, they’ll just need the receivers to make the plays that go their way, which shouldn’t be a wild amount. If the Rams can get two receivers up over the 700-yard mark, it will mean the corps has done a decent job in supporting the run game.

Get those penalties below 100.

Last season, the Rams were the second-most penalized team in the league last season behind the Seahawks. Penalties are OK (to an extent) if you’ve got the talent to overcome them, but the Rams showed that they were not up to that level in their flag-ridden 2013 campaign. Special teams were the early culprit, negating big plays from then-rookie Tavon Austin on multiple occasions, but the team as a whole can’t escape blame. This one should be pretty obvious: limit flags in 2014 and don’t give the opponent free yards. Football 101.

Force 15 fumbles.

It’s a five-fumble jump from their 2013 total, but this defense looks even stronger talent-wise and figures to be more aggressive with new coordinator Gregg Williams at the helm. The unit figures to hit hard in 2014, and if they aren’t creating turnovers on the reg then something is obviously off. They’ll want to rely on this part of their game, which looks to be their strength, in order to offset what looks to be a very young and inexperienced secondary, specifically at safety. They’ll want to put the ball back into the hands of the team’s stable of running backs as early and as often as possible.

Rack up 60 sacks.

Because we all want to see how far this defensive line can go. I wanted to push the number all the way up to 70, but this is an exercise of expectation setting and I’m trying not to be too unreasonable. However, 60 sacks should be well within reach for a unit that looks to be one of the best in the league. Defensive end and PFWA Defensive Player of the Year Robert Quinn is coming off his strongest season as a pro and will resume his role on the bookend with the stout Chris Long. Add in the developing game of tackle Michael Brockers, the tenacity of interior pass rusher Aaron Donald, and a bevy of depth, and this front seven looks like one to be reckoned with.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Force 15 fumbles.

It’s a five-fumble jump from their 2013 total

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but there's no way we only had 10 forced fumbles in 2013. Ogletree had 6 and Quinn had 7 alone, and I think McLeod had 3.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Can't find much to disagree with there. Thanks for posting.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but there's no way we only had 10 forced fumbles in 2013. Ogletree had 6 and Quinn had 7 alone, and I think McLeod had 3.
Good point. According to NFL Reference, we had 21 forced fumbles, and if you take away fumbles recovered by offensive players, it looks like we had 15 fumble recoveries by our defense.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Maybe the writer meant recover 15 fumbles. Idk, but just forcing 15 fumbles doesnt mean you recover every one of them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These are all very doable IMHO, The rushing yards only amount to about 20 yards a game, and I believe, with Robinson plowing the way, we can do it! The receiving yards, IF Bradford stays health, we can do that Too! As to what DYVKX said (above) I believe he is correct, Ogletree had 6 FF's- Quinn-7 Mcleod- 3 and Chris Long and Brockers each had 1! Then again, RAMBILL (above), has a good point about 'How did they count them?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
These are all very doable IMHO, The rushing yards only amount to about 20 yards a game, and I believe, with Robinson plowing the way, we can do it! The receiving yards, IF Bradford stays health, we can do that Too! As to what DYVKX said (above) I believe he is correct, Ogletree had 6 FF's- Quinn-7 Mcleod- 3 and Chris Long and Brockers each had 1! Then again, RAMBILL (above), has a good point about 'How did they count them?

I believe it's 131 rushing yards per game to hit 2100.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I believe it's 131 rushing yards per game to hit 2100.
Yes. and we averaged 109.5 per game last year, add the 20, and you get 130 ypg. is that close enough for you?

tbux

Rookie
don't agree we have to have more runs than passes-every game is different and I don't feel that is an important benchmark.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I got two...

Player growth and health. We dominate those two and we're world champs, once again.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't know about world champs, but we're in the playoffs if those two happen.

BRF Back

UDFA
Get rid of the bone headed penalties.
Rams gave away a TD to the Titans and Panthers with multiple penalties on the same drive. Both of those games were winnable, late in the game.
Rams had WAY too many ST penalties, and not just the usual face mask or poor blocking. They had several personal foul, roughing and taunting either during or after the ST play.

Maybe they should have a pool the every player who gets a PF after the play has to fund, for charity of course. Can't call it a fine now, can we?

But the other not talked about item - STOP DROPPING BALLS!! Austin, Quick, Cook are the main culprits, but every dropped pass on a run heavy team is a huge blow to the drive. The chance to make the other team have to keep people out of the box and out of press coverage means your whole offense is clicking. Dropping the pass just relaxes the other team, and doesn't force them to change their D.

Keep the special plays coming. Austin's stop reverse for a TD. Bailey's double reverse for a TD. Those get the team and crowd jacked up, and p!$$ the other team off. But only 2 or 3 a year aren't going to matter much. Even if they aren't successful, it keeps the other team guessing.

Hit the mismatch, and hit it often. Indy game, Austin was the mismatch, and got 3 TD's. Martz would have gotten him 4 or 5. While Stacy running the ball is fine, Schotty doesn't seem to appreciate the WR-DB mis-match. Cook had 2 good games, AZ and Tenn. That's about it. Given his pay and size, he should have had 5 or 6.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yes. and we averaged 109.5 per game last year, add the 20, and you get 130 ypg. is that close enough for you?

Well when you actually explain it yea. By the way you worded the post I thought you meant we only needed 20 yards total per game. I was like....ughh, no. I got you now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well when you actually explain it yea. By the way you worded the post I thought you meant we only needed 20 yards total per game. I was like....ughh, no. I got you now.
I'll try to be more careful with my wording next time, I thought it was obvious what I meant!