7 Teams That Improved Most on Offense in the NFL Draft/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Seven teams that improved most on offense in 2015 NFL Draft

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: May 18, 2015 at 02:01 p.m.
Updated: May 18, 2015 at 02:28 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...2015-nfl-draft?campaign=Twitter_cfb_goodbread

The St. Louis Rams and Tennessee Titans were two of only six NFL teams to spend their first two picks in the 2015 NFL Draft on offensive players, but they didn't stop there. The Rams and Titans went on to turn in seven cards each for the offensive side of the ball, tied for most in the league. Led by those two, here is a look at seven NFL teams that helped themselves most on offense in the draft:

1. Tennessee Titans

Nobody made a bigger offensive splash in the NFL draft than Tennessee, which put its franchise largely in the hands of quarterback Marcus Mariota with the No. 2 overall pick, then spent a second-rounder (No. 40 overall) on a prolific receiving talent for Mariota to throw to -- Dorial Green-Beckham. Mariota-to-DGB production will be a significant factor in Tennessee's offensive improvement this fall. But the Titans' investment on offense didn't nearly stop there. The club picked an offensive player in every round of the draft, seven of nine total picks. Guard Jeremiah Poutasi, the third-rounder, will be counted on to solidify the line. Fullback Jalston Fowler of Alabama (fourth round) and Minnesota running back David Cobb (fifth round) could invigorate the backfield, and the Titans wrapped up with Boston College center Andy Gallik and William & Mary receiver Tre McBride.

2. St. Louis Rams

In taking Georgia running back Todd Gurley at No. 10 overall and then massive offensive linemen Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown in the second and third rounds, respectively, the Rams left no doubt about the direction their offense will go in 2015. A power rushing attack to take pressure off newly acquired quarterback Nick Foles is in the works. And as long as Gurley's rehabilitated knee has no setbacks, Foles should be able to stay out of too many third-and-long situations. The Rams added a young arm behind Foles in quarterback Sean Mannion, who went higher than expected (Round 3), Missouri wide receiver Bud Sasser in the sixth round, and two more offensive linemen (Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann) for a total of seven offensive picks.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

While the Titans quickly matched Mariota with a high-profile receiver, the Buccaneers turned to their offensive line to support No. 1 overall pick Jameis Winston. The Bucs had two second-round picks and used them on Penn State offensive tackle Donovan Smith and Hobart guard Ali Marpet. And why not? The club already has Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans in place as Winston's receiving targets, so it could afford to wait until the fifth and sixth rounds to add another receiver in Nebraska's Kenny Bell and Utah's Kaelin Clay. Hawaii fullback Joey Iosefa was Tampa Bay's final pick in the seventh, rounding out six offensive additions, including three of the first 61 overall picks.

4. Baltimore Ravens

Having made a long-term investment in quarterback Joe Flacco, it only makes sense for the Ravens to further invest in his receiving targets. UCF's Breshad Perriman will bring freakish athleticism to the perimeter of the Baltimore offense as the No. 26 overall pick. Although Perriman still has to learn the finer points of the position, a quick development on his part could make a major impact in short order. Minnesota tight end Maxx Williams, the No. 55 overall pick (second round), will give Flacco an athletic target over the middle who can line up beside a tackle or in the slot. USC running back Buck Allen and Georgia Tech receiver Darren Waller gave the team two more skill-position players on offense, and tight end Nick Boyle and lineman Robert Myers made it six offensive picks within six rounds for the Ravens.

5. Cincinnati Bengals

There wasn't much flash in the Bengals' choice of two offensive tackles in the first two rounds (Texas A&M's Cedric Ogbuehi at No. 21, Oregon's Jake Fisher at No. 53), but there is no denying the club's commitment to maintaining its offensive line. Veteran tackles Andre Smith and Andrew Whitworth are essentially playing for their futures with the club in 2015. Tyler Kroft of Rutgers and C.J. Uzomah of Auburn add to depth at tight end, and the Bengals added a blazing fast receiver in the seventh round in Mario Alford. The Robin to Kevin White's Batman at West Virginia, Alford has a better chance to make an NFL roster than most seventh-rounders.

6. Oakland Raiders

Like the Ravens, the Raiders also took a wide receiver in the first round and added a tight end on Day 2, giving second-year quarterback Derek Carr two dynamic new weapons. Alabama's Amari Cooper was the draft's most pro-ready player and should make an instant impact. Miami (Fla.) tight end Clive Walford has the athleticism to get behind linebackers and make a difference downfield, which could draw enough safety attention to keep Cooper in more single coverage. Although the Raiders' decision not to add a running back to its cast of unproven rushers was curious, the club did add linemen Jon Feliciano and Anthony Morris up front. Count receiver Andre Debose (seventh round) as purely a special-teams add.

7. Detroit Lions

Detroit should get an immediate starter in Duke guard Laken Tomlinson, whom the club took with the No. 28 overall pick after a trade with the Denver Broncos. Behind Tomlinson, general manager Martin Mayhew added Ameer Abdullah, the small-but-explosive star running back from Nebraska who can make big plays through the smallest of holes. If Abdullah can be coached out of his reputation as a fumbler, quarterback Matthew Stafford will have a dangerous new weapon with which to work. Fullback Michael Burton went to Detroit in the fifth round, and seventh-round pick Corey Robinson of South Carolina is a massive right tackle prospect who could surprise in fall camp as a run blocker.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I really didn't like the Ravens draft at all. I think they got a group of NFL average players is all.

Tennessee's draft is boom or bust. Like any QB Mariota could go either way. DGB could go either way. I don't like Poutasi, Cobb is nothing special as a downhill runner lacking moves. I like Fowler and McBride has some potential. I'd pass on Galick.

Cincinnati took two different types of tackles. I didn't like either TE pick.

Other than Winston Tampa Bays draft I'd nothing Special. I like Marpet but that is it.

Then the last two that are listed belong ahead of the others IMO. The Raiders added some quality weapons. I like the Lions draft a lot. Tomlinson will be good and I think Abdullah can be a very good back, especially with Burton and Robinson to block for him.

Then of course the Rams had the best draft. Gurley will be the next great back, Havenstein and Brown will fill out the massive Oline for years to come. The line depth has vastly improved and Mannion will develop into a good backup. They fixed a lot of glaring weaknesses.

My order is:

1. Rams (I am not biased)
2. Detroit
3. Oakland
4. Tennessee
5. Cinncinnati
6. Tampa Bay
7. Baltimore

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I really didn't like the Ravens draft at all. I think they got a group of NFL average players is all.

Tennessee's draft is boom or bust. Like any QB Mariota could go either way. DGB could go either way. I don't like Poutasi, Cobb is nothing special as a downhill runner lacking moves. I like Fowler and McBride has some potential. I'd pass on Galick.

Cincinnati took two different types of tackles. I didn't like either TE pick.

Other than Winston Tampa Bays draft I'd nothing Special. I like Marpet but that is it.

Then the last two that are listed belong ahead of the others IMO. The Raiders added some quality weapons. I like the Lions draft a lot. Tomlinson will be good and I think Abdullah can be a very good back, especially with Burton and Robinson to block for him.

Then of course the Rams had the best draft. Gurley will be the next great back, Havenstein and Brown will fill out the massive Oline for years to come. The line depth has vastly improved and Mannion will develop into a good backup. They fixed a lot of glaring weaknesses.

My order is:

1. Rams (I am not biased)
2. Detroit
3. Oakland
4. Tennessee
5. Cinncinnati
6. Tampa Bay
7. Baltimore
I like your order Best!(y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You doubt Ozzie? Buck Allen...beast.....Max Williams fills a need and reminds them of a TE they just had...All to help Flacco...Perriaman? 4.25 and you no likey? This was a need based draft for Ozzie. Not BPA...they feel they are close...Those are high production players in college..I'll guarantee you'll see them on the field in 2015.
My second favorite linemen in this draft was Donovan Smith...I also like Marpet...I think that wr from Nebraska has talent...
We have to wait and see about drafts...but I like ours...Cincinnati's draft was interesting...I wanna see how that turns out...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You doubt Ozzie? Buck Allen...beast.....Max Williams fills a need and reminds them of a TE they just had...All to help Flacco...Perriaman? 4.25 and you no likey? This was a need based draft for Ozzie. Not BPA...they feel they are close...Those are high production players in college..I'll guarantee you'll see them on the field in 2015.
My second favorite linemen in this draft was Donovan Smith...I also like Marpet...I think that wr from Nebraska has talent...
We have to wait and see about drafts...but I like ours...Cincinnati's draft was interesting...I wanna see how that turns out...

I think the media has a fear of doubting Ozzie. The truth is that he misses on picks also. The Ravens have a pretty good Oline so Allen could do well. I think Max Williams was overrated in a poor TE group. I really liked Perriman in college but never thought he could approach first round status. I predict him to have production in line with most backup receivers. He is very raw and question why he has not developed further by now with a good coaching staff in college, and drops are not a coaching issue. Ozzie is at his best when he is drafting BPA. I think he slipped up on this one because of the urgency of being 'close'.

With Tampa, I really liked Marpet but I have watched Smith for too many years and heard the rumors enough to think he just pulled the wool over everybodies eyes in the time leading up to the draft. How does a guy completely change in three months? I think he is another Alex Barron. Jameis Winston has undeniable talent but his character has scared me off. I was still on board until he started addressing his past at the combine. I really didn't like how dismissive he was. He sounded like an addict that wont admit he has a problem.

Cincinnati's draft was a bit confusing for me.

I liked the Rams draft mostly because there was a theme and a direct intent to address a need, although you could argue that Gurley was more of a BPA pick. I like the Olinemen they drafted and when the picks came I didn't find myself saying, 'I wish they had taken this guy instead'. It was quite the opposite in fact. This draft lined up with what the Rams wanted to do. It had depth at Oline and that is what they needed. It lacked in most other positions except maybe RB and WR. I always like going with the strength of the draft because I feel you get better value that way. In a draft devoid of Olinemen, Havenstein could be bumped to round 1 and Brown to round2 for instance because of team's needs. Taking Gurley comes with some risk but no more risk than picking a top QB, only the risk is injury related, instead of the many unknowns that come with the QB position.

And of course time will tell, but I was just going with the gist of the article.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How does a guy completely change in three months? I think he is another Alex Barron.
OUCH!!!!! Jason Smith & Alex Barron...Man I hate to see those names linked to any player...
Time will tell, you are right, but Donovan is in a great place with Lovie...Looks like an intelligent guy, humble and a serious physical presence...I'd love him to man the right side...for us...just watch him down there in Tampa...just watch.

Brown to round2 for instance because of team's needs.
I had to watch Louisville a little, a guy at TST loves them...screamed about Teddy..then about their FS Holliman (doesn't wanna hit)...I started watching a bunch of ACC games...Clemson, Miami, Louisville...even a lil G-Tech...Never noticed Brown...barely noticed his teammate Miller...they play against some great defensive players...plus the move to OG should help him...He is the one guy that can really make this draft successful..If he can start, next to G-Rob...I actually expect Wichman to beat him out..That guy can really move, and looks powerful...Time will tell gnome, should be a great camp...can't wait for the reports from Coach & Hammer