7 Rams who must earn their spot on the 53-man roster again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

7 Rams who must earn their spot on the 53-man roster again​

It’s something that Jared Goff, Michael Brockers, Jalen Ramsey, Cooper Kupp, and Tyler Higbee all failed to do last season: none of those players appeared in all 16 regular season games for the LA Rams in 2020. An NFL roster is comprised not only of stars and starters though, but of many more men beyond that who serve as key rotational players, backups, special teamers, and “break glass in case of emergency” reserves.

Some of those players become starters and even stars down the line, but that is not what the Rams are necessarily asking of them. They are tasked with filling in the gaps between the 0 snaps and 1,100 snaps of a typical NFL season at any given position. Thanks to the 17-game season, those roles will be more important than ever in 2021.

These players are not stars like Ramsey. They are not necessarily even starters like Higbee. But the following seven players played in 16 games for the LA Rams in 2020 and they must fight to earn those roles again in 2021.

Greg Gaines, DT

2020: 16 games, 18 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 201 defensive snaps, 65 special teams snaps

“I’m coming for that job” - Bobby Brown III, Earnest Brown IV, Eric Banks

After appearing in 10 games as a rookie — 4th round, 134th overall out of Washington — Gaines appeared in all 16 games and had the fifth-most snaps among Rams defensive linemen in 2020. With Michael Brockers and Morgan Fox now departed, there would seem to be an opportunity for Gaines to increase his workload, but the 2021 draft suggest that Sean McVay might not be sold on him as a future regular.

The Rams picked BB3 in the fourth and EB4 in the fifth, adding two big bodies to compete with Gaines and the other holdovers for those front-seven defensive snaps. There are also some former undrafted free agents who we can’t completely rule out, such as Banks, Jonah Williams, Marquise Copeland, and Michael Hoecht. LA added one more UDFA this year as well, signing George Silvanic.

With Aaron Donald, Sebastian Joseph-Day, and A’Shawn Robinson as the top three defensive linemen, there’s not a ton of need in that area quite yet. But when Raheem Morris needs to spell those players with his depth, will Gaines be the first man up?

Justin Hollins, LB

2020: 16 games, 28 tackles, 3 sacks, 349 defensive snaps, 189 special teams snaps

“I’m coming for that job” - Ernest Jones, Travin Howard, Christian Rozeboom, Chris Garrett

Kenny Young, LB

2020: 16 games, 52 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, 471 defensive snaps, 53 special teams snaps

“I’m coming for that job” - Ernest Jones, Travin Howard, Christian Rozeboom, Chris Garrett

Troy Reeder, LB

2020: 16 games, 81 tackles, 3 sacks, 423 defensive snaps, 204 special teams snaps

I see no reason to split up the three choices at linebacker here, as they are all fighting against each other — and against the newer, younger options at linebacker. The only person guaranteed a job right now is Leonard Floyd. That leaves three starting jobs open, but also several key reserve roles behind the starters too.

As we saw last season, any moment could be “your turn” at linebacker.

Reeder made the most starts of any of these three players, but Young and Hollins might have greater odds to become full-time starters in the future. Reeder and Young are 26, while Hollins is 25. But the Rams have others who are ready to take on those opportunities.

Ernest Jones was drafted in the third round, which is relatively high for an inside linebacker. Especially given how the Rams have often avoided expending a lot of money or draft capital at the position. Howard was a potential starter going into 2020 until suffering a season-ending injury before the season even started.

I think all of Hollins, Reeder, and Young are capable of starting for LA next season, but I could also see how with the change at defensive coordinator and the lack of real evidence to show that any of them are exceptionally good pros, any of the three could also be playing for a different team in 2021.

Not mentioned, but not forgotten either: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Derrick Moncrief, Micah Kiser, Terrell Lewis, Justin Lawler, John Daka, and UDFA Maximilian Roberts.

David Long, CB

2020: 16 games, 7 tackles, 116 defensive snaps, 260 special teams snaps

“I’m coming for that job” - Robert Rochell, Terrell Burgess

I wrote about Long not long ago, and it is still the case that it is kind of “now or never” for the third-year cornerback. Though training camp has not yet begun, it appears that Burgess could be leading to win the number three cornerback job that was previously occupied by Troy Hill.

Long played in every game last season, mostly on special teams, but those are snaps that could be replaced by anyone. Not necessarily even a cornerback. He could lose those special teams snaps to a receiver or a running back, like rookie Jake Funk. The snaps at corner are his bigger concern and the team also drafted Rochell in the fourth round this year.

Johnny Mundt, TE

2020: 16 games, 4 catches, 53 yards, 121 offensive snaps, 266 special teams snaps

“I’m coming for that job” - Brycen Hopkins, Kendall Blanton

I’m not putting Jacob Harris here because I do not believe that Harris is going to be playing any tight end next season. Mundt served as the third tight end in 2019 and 2020 but there are clear limitations in his ability to go any higher than that. With Higbee as the number one, potentially Hopkins as the number two, it’s possible that McVay will feel comfortable in releasing Mundt to open up a spot for someone with more potential at a different position.

Again, his special teams snaps could be replaced by someone who doesn’t even play tight end and instead LA could keep Harris as a pseudo “tight end” and Blanton as a blocker. Tight end might also turn out to be a position that the Rams look for after final cuts are made. Or they could stick with Mundt, a guy who did prove capable of serving that role and he’s been around the Rams for just about as long as McVay has been around. That counts for a lot.

Nsimba Webster, WR/PR

2020: 16 games, 25 punt returns, 16 kick returns, 8 offensive snaps, 257 special teams snaps

“I’m coming for that job” - Tutu Atwell, DeSean Jackson, Landen Akers, Jeremiah Haydel, Jake Funk, Raymond Calais

It seems impossible that Webster would win a job as a wide receiver with the Rams. His key component is in the return game and that has to concern the third-year pro out of Eastern Washington. Webster’s been fine at the position, but he also had three fumbles last season. He was lucky to recover two of them.

The team is trying out Atwell, their second round pick, and that’s probably the guy fans most want to see out on the field as often as they can. But he’s not all, as Akers and Haydel returned punts in college, Jackson was an elite punt returner once upon a time, and Funk, Calais are both experienced in kickoff returns.

You would think it is Webster’s job to lose, but now it looks like he’s going to have to be exceptionally fantastic just to win it back.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW Jeremiah Haydel is one heck of a PR/KR, now I don't think he can make the team because of numbers, but he might be too good not to keep in that role, which would make the Rams keep 7 WR's and maybe just 3 RB's.

Tano

Legend
I think Kiser needs to be included in that group of linebackers. He is way too injury prone.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think Kiser needs to be included in that group of linebackers. He is way too injury prone.
I'd take it a step farther and say every linebacker not named Lloyd is fighting for a roster spot this training camp. All though Jones is basically a lock as a third round pick. Everyone else has either been a JAG or injury prone so far in their career. We need consistency at the position. Which is why Lloyd was given a contract and a day two draft pick was spent on an ILB.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gaines and Long are safe on the 53; it's silly to state otherwise.

Other than that, I agree that they all are going to have to prove themselves again.

With all that said, the only one of those listed that I actually see not making the roster is Webster (barring injury, of course).

badcop

UDFA
Strange as Gaines has played well every time he's in. That he wasn't played more is the actual question especially against teams like Green Bay. Played great in the 1st qtr and then we didn't see him for 2 quarters. Great against Seattle as well. I'd like to see how he does not constantly coming in cold.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Strange as Gaines has played well every time he's in. That he wasn't played more is the actual question especially against teams like Green Bay. Played great in the 1st qtr and then we didn't see him for 2 quarters. Great against Seattle as well. I'd like to see how he does not constantly coming in cold.
I'm going to take a stab at something based on your entire history here. It's no problem and glad to have you around if so. Are you Greg's mom or dad?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gaines is a keeper. No need to debate his place on the roster. .
I agree. But if he does get displaced, that should speak very highly of our draft. Still... I don't see either SJD or Gaines going anywhere.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of good posts in here, nice job fellas.
Now of course I'm going to buck that trend and suggest that either Mundt or Hopkins doesnt make the 53. Maybe both? Hmmm.....

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
either Mundt or Hopkins doesnt make the 53
Between the two I'm leaning Hopkins.
Not because of anything I have seen from him, but just because I haven't heard
him mentioned once since we drafted him.
Maybe it changes at camp, but the guy has been a ghost.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think both Lawler and Kiser are in more trouble than Reeder. Reeder might not be the most athletic guy and has his limitations, but he has steadily improved and is following the trajectory of a guy developing into a solid depth/rotational player. To me, he’s a lot like blythe was—very reliable, quality depth guy who can even start a game or two if needed; but if you end up needing him to start all the time...that’s gonna be trouble because of his limited skill set.

Lawler and Kiser barely have any real game experience at LB. IMO, they’re the guys who will be fighting not to be replaced by Ernest Jones.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m ok with any of them being replaced by any other player who elevates their game. LB & TE appear to be the area where change will occur IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
on the D-line the Rams simply subtracted two and added two. Gaines shouldn’t factor into that race and it’s very unlikely that one of the PS players can unseat him.

badcop

UDFA
I'm going to take a stab at something based on your entire history here. It's no problem and glad to have you around if so. Are you Greg's mom or dad?
No I'm not. But I am from La Habra and he grew up there. Seen him since Little League and Pop Warner through high school. Followed him closely since.